Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My initial exposure to Lust for Darkness was the John Wolfe video of the demo I think? Just how horny it was didn't come across from what I saw in that initial demo, so I didn't really know the full story until like the end when it became clear. I thought some of it was actually some cool cosmic horror poo poo, but they decided they wanted Cthulhu who fuuuuuuuuucks I guess.

Edit: nice page snipe I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bogart posted:

My dark secret is that I backed Lust for Darkness. It looked cool at the time. :negative:

I mean, I bought it for a dollar because it looked cool, and there was a chance they did something cool with the concept. But life is full of little gambles like that.

Really appreciate all the kind words, everyone! I still have a few straggling horror reviews that I'll post here as I get to them, stuff that didn't fit neatly into Spooktober. I've been working on A Place for the Unwilling for awhile now, because it's supposedly cosmic horror but has a very, very slow start to it if so. I'm enjoying the buildup though, so I'll get there eventually.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Any impressions on Song Of Horror?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Too Shy Guy posted:

I mean, I bought it for a dollar because it looked cool, and there was a chance they did something cool with the concept. But life is full of little gambles like that.

Really appreciate all the kind words, everyone! I still have a few straggling horror reviews that I'll post here as I get to them, stuff that didn't fit neatly into Spooktober. I've been working on A Place for the Unwilling for awhile now, because it's supposedly cosmic horror but has a very, very slow start to it if so. I'm enjoying the buildup though, so I'll get there eventually.

Is this a game where, like, you restart from a blank slate every 21 days, starting basically a new game entirely or is it Majora's Mask-style where the timeline resets, but your character remembers something, or there's a log that updates between the loops, etc?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

My understanding is that every 21 days is a complete playthrough of the game, and the ending you get is heavily dependent on the choices you make. I'm still early in my first run but already the game is asking me to side pretty strongly with either capital or labor. A single playthrough is also supposed to be something like 15-20 hours so I don't think there's any expectation to replay it unless you want to test different allegiances.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Disposable Scud posted:

Any impressions on Song Of Horror?
I watched Mr. Kravin do a full playthrough of episode 1 (yes, it's yet another episodic game and it's as annoying as ever) and my impression so far is that it's competent, but nothing special. Honestly, it's exactly like any of a dozen other "explore the spooky mansion" games - you get to pick one of two characters, then you explore, then you probably die, then you explore some more. The dynamic haunting effects are kind of clever and it's a good-looking game with no major flaws except for quicktime events and some rather comical sound design decisions, but just based on what I've seen of it so far, I wouldn't pay ten dollars for it. It's just too forgettable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I choked every time he mimicked the character's grunt. "Hmm? herh! NAH-AH"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's one way to make a limited voice acting budget work while still making sure that your characters are audibly emoting, so I can't hold it against them, even if it sounds really silly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The best horror game emotes are from Dark Corners of the Earth where you can be facing down a shoggoth and your guy is calmly and robotically saying "the door is bolted shut..."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's locked.
It won't open.
Door's bolted shut.
It's locked.

Jack Walters was a pretty fun MC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This car is clearly broken down, why isn't somebody towing it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I normally stream on Friday nights but my connection is currently haunted by some jank-rear end ghost, so I wrote up some mini-reviews of games I tried out last month. And now you get to read them!

From Beyond Prologue

Anyone fortunate enough to experience the classic Shadowgate or its unrelated sequels will regale you with cheerful tales of being murdered for picking up books or looking over certain balconies. Deadly adventures like that have mostly passed into memory, but From Beyond seems intent on bringing back the style in a very faithful way. The interface is a clear homage, with a small, pixellated scene to explore with commands like Look, Take, and Open, an inventory of odds and ends to use in puzzle-solving, and even a little map that marks adjacent scenes with unassuming squares.

Plot-wise, you’re a researcher on the trail of great and terrible legends, which leads you to a remote alpine town. The journey there is treacherous, but you find yourself no safer once you arrive in the ominous hamlet. A great black spire rises from the center of the place, and it’s your goal to gain access to the eldritch structure somehow. In contrast with the games that inspired it, most of the challenges in your way have multiple solutions and varied results. Experimentation is not only important, it’s encouraged as you accumulate a wealth of items that may not even have specific uses. From Beyond also isn’t as keen on murdering you randomly, but I will still strongly suggest saving regularly. For fans of classic horror adventures, you won’t want to miss this little gem.

FINAL VERDICT: Auspicious

Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle (Free)

Who would have thought Jason would work just as well in chibi form? Killer Puzzle takes the ubiquitous hockey-masked murderer and plops him in those brain-teaser boards where you keep moving until you hit something. The challenge is to maneuver Jason around so he can brutalize all the campers on the level and still reach the final girl, boy, or person once everyone else is dead. I’m a big fan of this style of puzzle to begin with, but the cartoon bloodshed and the helicopter parenting from Jason’s mom’s head really make this one something special. The first eight episodes are free, offering tons of puzzling before asking a modest sum for the last four. You’ll also earn random weapons with unique animations as you slay your way through, though you can buy random boxes of more if you’re bad with money. As much fun as it is brain-teasing your way to brainings here, you’ll get plenty of mileage without spending a cent.

FINAL VERDICT: Bloody Good

The Backrooms Game (Free)

Based on some creepypasta, there are apparently competing versions but this one seems the most prominent. After a few runs I can see why, too. The Backrooms Game sends you into the drab, neon-lit backrooms of some unnamed office, your reasons for being there and even your very identity a mystery. The hideous wallpaper and cheap carpet stretch unto infinity, randomized as you navigate the maze-like halls. Every thirty seconds you can check your watch and “remember”, the purpose of which I’ll leave to you to suss out. You’re looking for an exit, and good luck getting to it as the oppressive atmosphere grows and your aimless wanderings become panicked retreats. It’s that atmosphere that makes this one work so well, and I heartily encourage you to give it a try and see what the quiet fuss is about.

FINAL VERDICT: Ominous

Everybody Loves Skeletons

Does everyone love skeletons? I admit to being pretty close to mine, but after playing this I’m not sure everyone is going to love what they do. This is a bare-bones platformer with some cute puzzles using your skellyman’s ability to pop off his head to get into tight places. You’ll get a cane gun and a grappling hook too, but the former is underused and the latter is impossibly finicky. That’s the thing, this is one of those unpolished indie platformers where everything feels just a little too stiff or sticky, and when you get to the really punishing platforming in the later levels it’s going to become REALLY noticeable. The art is charming but lacking a lot of animation, which only adds to the cheap feeling. I was okay with this one for most of the journey, but it lacks a proper ending and only took about 45 minutes to get through. I hate to say it, but you can do a lot better.

FINAL VERDICT: Boned

Bunny – The Horror Game

So I guess now that Granny is a thing we’ll be dealing with empty-headed clones of it for a few years. This time you’re escaping from a gangly bunny-thing, except I can’t even tell what kind of place you’re escaping from. Every wall has the same smeared liquid concrete look, except for the ones that are pitch black because the lighting’s half-baked. That’s still an improvement over the bow body I was carrying around that would leave its own shadow smeared across the screen, making it impossible to see anything. Even when I could see anything it wasn’t anything worth doing, so if you absolutely must escape from some psychopath’s lovely house, make sure it isn’t this one.

FINAL VERDICT: Decrepit

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

The Backrooms Game (Free)

Based on some creepypasta, there are apparently competing versions but this one seems the most prominent. After a few runs I can see why, too. The Backrooms Game sends you into the drab, neon-lit backrooms of some unnamed office, your reasons for being there and even your very identity a mystery. The hideous wallpaper and cheap carpet stretch unto infinity, randomized as you navigate the maze-like halls. Every thirty seconds you can check your watch and “remember”, the purpose of which I’ll leave to you to suss out. You’re looking for an exit, and good luck getting to it as the oppressive atmosphere grows and your aimless wanderings become panicked retreats. It’s that atmosphere that makes this one work so well, and I heartily encourage you to give it a try and see what the quiet fuss is about.

Glad someone managed to pull off the idea with some skill - I was super pleased it was Puppetcombo after watching so many streams of their content. Thanks for all the reviews.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black August posted:

Glad someone managed to pull off the idea with some skill - I was super pleased it was Puppetcombo after watching so many streams of their content. Thanks for all the reviews.

I don't think the version linked is the puppet combo version. PC's version was called Day 7 I think and was kind of a big letdown imo since it started off kinda strong and then just got lazy and wrapped itself up super quick without any real payoff, though again that's just my opinion. Others might've enjoyed seeing or playing Day 7 more but to me it was just an anticlimactic game where you don't learn anything or accomplish anything and then it's over and it looks like it just wasted your time more than anything.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think the version linked is the puppet combo version. PC's version was called Day 7 I think and was kind of a big letdown imo since it started off kinda strong and then just got lazy and wrapped itself up super quick without any real payoff, though again that's just my opinion. Others might've enjoyed seeing or playing Day 7 more but to me it was just an anticlimactic game where you don't learn anything or accomplish anything and then it's over and it looks like it just wasted your time more than anything.

why are there so many versions of this

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Black August posted:

This was the one that started the boom I’m pretty sure.

As an aside, Faith 3 looking pretty good. I think it finally nails lo-fi horror set pieces and fun monster fights.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black August posted:

It caught on. Same happened with Freddy, Baldi, Jeff, Slenderman, PT-likes, etc. Horror games as a genre on a whole seem to try to chase certain fads a lot more than other game genres do. That's not to say that other genres don't try to copy whatever is successful at the moment, but horror games in particular can usually be traced back in some way to a specific game or story that the horror game is attempting to copy. So good job with your writing prompt, idk if you actually get credit for it or not but congrats either way (though it'd be nice if you got credit too).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm fine with not getting credit for this one. I have a lot more to do with the idea that isn't remotely like the popular developments of it. I'm just taken aback by how it caught on so fast with games out within 4-5 months. The cycle of these fads happens faster and faster now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Game design tools are evolving really fast. There was a controversial video called Unity: Good Enough For Bad Games and while its a click baity title the argument is that anyone can create playable content rapidly which yeah a lot is garbage but ideas spread and evolve rapidly which is cool. I love it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Always look forward to your October reviews, thanks Too Shy Guy!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:cheers:

Funny thing is, I didn't even know there was a Puppet Combo take on the whole backrooms thing. This one is just the most popular one on Steam, which is itself a free demo for a paid version coming sometime in the future.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What's the new "backrooms" genrre?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

if it follows my 10-second piece, then it's gonna be "walking simulator through cut game content and giant developer rooms"

That'd actually not be a bad idea for a short weird game, in the sense of playing from the PoV of a PC type who accidentally gets into the inaccessible portions of their game, and reacts to weird poo poo like seeing 17 copies of their mother in a blank green room, who all only talk about things like "SET EVENT_FLAG 17" or "PLAY BGM 3"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Black August posted:

That'd actually not be a bad idea for a short weird game, in the sense of playing from the PoV of a PC type who accidentally gets into the inaccessible portions of their game, and reacts to weird poo poo like seeing 17 copies of their mother in a blank green room, who all only talk about things like "SET EVENT_FLAG 17" or "PLAY BGM 3"
It's called Star Citizen.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Too Shy Guy posted:

:ohno: SPOOKY GAMES 6: Hellseeker :ohno:

I'm mad at myself that I only just got this joke.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The big reason that horror games chase these trends more than other genres is, I think, because of the streamers that use them as their bread and butter. The relationship means that streamers are going to be looking for that next game that they can put out and get views, so horror makers will make types of games that are already popular, since they're popular to watch and therefore stream.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

It's called Star Citizen.

Hey. We want HORROR, not COMEDY. :mad:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I watched a playthrough of The Beast Inside and man, that certainly was a game huh. Jeeze.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In a good sense or in a bad sense?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It is a game about the horrors of mental illness and multiple personalities that seems to think it is far more clever and subtle than it, a game where one of the playable characters has the surname Hyde, actually is.

It also seems to just waste your time with a lot of tedious stuff during the cold war present day stuff.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Really gorgeous graphics wise though, imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I watched Scary Game Squad play through the recent Beast Inside demo and the only memorable part of it to me was when you find the corpse of JAMES WILKES BOOTH, JOHN WILKES BOOTH'S (fictional) BROTHER directly next a letter he wrote but never sent that establishes this fact

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

It is a game about the horrors of mental illness and multiple personalities that seems to think it is far more clever and subtle than it, a game where one of the playable characters has the surname Hyde, actually is.

It also seems to just waste your time with a lot of tedious stuff during the cold war present day stuff.

In my experience, 9 times out of 10, these themes are handled in the most hamfisted, "I don't know what I'm actually talking about" way. Especially in outright horror games. There are certainly games out there that handle themes of mental illness in an interesting, well-done way, but the "Author trying and failing to be deep" and "ISN'T MENTAL ILLNESS SO ~SCAAAAAARY~!" camps far outnumber them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It should've just been a weird Cold War era thriller instead of jumping back and forth between Gothic horror. The Cold War was a legitimately scary time where otherwise mentally stable people gave in to paranoia and irrational fear. The idea that you're being stalked and spied on by an intelligent yet unknowable enemy agent is scary in itself.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Cold War era poo poo was the most interesting part of the game. Didn't need to go back and forth.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Oh boy apparently there's a sequel to Lust for Darkness coming out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035120/Lust_from_Beyond/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In my experience, 9 times out of 10, these themes are handled in the most hamfisted
It's hard to do multiple personalities any other way when the psychiatric community can, by and large, still come to no agreement on whether it is even a real disorder that actually exists rather than something that people just convince themselves they suffer from due to its prevalence in popular fiction. The majority is currently of the opinion that multiple personality disorder is about as real as Morgellons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lifeglug posted:

Oh boy apparently there's a sequel to Lust for Darkness coming out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035120/Lust_from_Beyond/

Missed opportunity to name it Horny on Main

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't wanna hear about it unless I get to gently caress a shoggoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Lust For Darkness 2: Dual Penetration
Lust For Darkness Pt 2: Extra Moist