Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He has Seinfeld Money.

some seinfeld money. don't think he has enough to be spending 100m on a newspaper. he just wants his name in the press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean yeah it's probably loving poo poo up there too but this is Cities of London and Westminster, where I'm volunteering for canvassing wherever possible because a) we're only a few thousand votes off unseating Mark "I acted on instinct to assault a completely peaceful woman because she might have been a heavily armed terrorist, not because she was loving up my lovely posh meal with all my posh mates" Field, b) Chuka is the LD candidate, c) it's only 20 minutes on the Tube and there's nice pubs in the area, d) Chuka is the LD candidate, and e) Chuka is the LD candidate.

Actually have we talked about this? It really doesn't make sense for Chuka to be standing in Two Cities. The LDs are a really distant third and the really weird demographics of the area (almost 50/50 split between really lovely council estates around Victoria and really loving expensive Sloanes and City boys pads) means there's basically no natural base for them, even by London's standards. There are much closer races he could be involved in and you'd think his ego wouldn't let him go to a seat where he knew he'd be third (which is why he's not trying to retain his seat in Streatham despite claiming that the 20-odd thousand majority he had there was purely because of his own charm).

As far as I can tell there are two possibilities here - either he's so loving hated by the LDs that they just gave him an important-sounding seat to lose so they could be rid of him, or he actually believes their bullshit bar graphs and thinks that he has a chance of quadrupling their vote from 2017.

e: Actually even their bullshit bar graphs don't make sense as a theory - the seat was heavily Remain and did go LD in the Euros, but so did Streatham, and to an even greater extent.

I don't think Chuka actually wants to be a Lib Dem. Without the chance of a cabinet (or even shadow cabinet) job I don't think politics holds much appeal to him.

He probably just wants to run as a wrecker, hand the seat to the Tories and then step into a nice cushy consulting job.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jose posted:

some seinfeld money. don't think he has enough to be spending 100m on a newspaper. he just wants his name in the press

he also owns (used to own?) Breitbart, that's gotta be worth a shitload based on traffic and ad revenue

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

he also owns (used to own?) Breitbart, that's gotta be worth a shitload based on traffic and ad revenue

nah trump winning destroyed its ad revenue lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...92c7_story.html

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"Nick was adamant" :flaccid:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Think I will go with the scientists on this one. if there are 6 billion humans then those humans get to determine what the environment is. This remains unchanged even if we do determine that that way should be ‘exactly as it was when we got here’. The only way to leave the anthropocene would be to break the environment in such a way humans are no longer a viable mass population species.
Which 'the scientists'? Anna Tsing is a professor of anthropology and is proposing Plantationocene precisely because it's not all humans who get to determine what the environment is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One time I was flying back to the UK from my then-fiance and went through MSP and we were on the phone in the airport and decided it was bad and lovely to be apart when the Visa Waiver hadn't expired yet, so when they offered $800 of flight credit I leaped on it, stayed in a hotel overnight on Delta's dime as well, and spent the next day in Mall of America because the flight I got back to Montana instead of on to England was in the evening.

Well, that's my Minneapolis-St. Paul story.

MSP is probably the least lovely major airport I've ever been to, big, clean, pleasant to actually be in, loads of stores to browse (Including a surprisingly good bookstore that has much more than just airport pap!), a fuckin Galaga machine, food places, connection downtown via a neat tram system, the staff are friendly enough (Even the TSA are pretty polite and even the CBP guy who was suspicious of my anxiety at first became fully understanding when I showed him my doc's letter explaining it. I recognize that's big white privilege but compared to how they are in like Atlanta and Toronto, it's much better.).

Well, that's my MSP airport opinion.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 3, 2019

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Vitamin P posted:

Where's Bannon getting the cash for that though?
Russia Like-minded Americans with him as a figurehead?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

There's no way the Barclays will get 100m for the Torygraph, its circulation is (literally) dying and it's long been replaced by the Times as the Tory house rag so it doesn't even have the shortcut to power that it had when they bought it (and completely hosed up the sports coverage, which was - seriously - how it had fended off the Times for so long). They also pissed the massive lead it had in online news down their legs. Even so I'm sure he could have laid his hands on the money "somehow", but I think you're right about it being just him keeping his massive sweaty slab of a face in the media now he's fallen out of favour.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Didn't he try and buy a cathedral to make an alt-right Hogwarts or something?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no way the Barclays will get 100m for the Torygraph, its circulation is (literally) dying and it's long been replaced by the Times as the Tory house rag so it doesn't even have the shortcut to power that it had when they bought it (and completely hosed up the sports coverage, which was - seriously - how it had fended off the Times for so long). They also pissed the massive lead it had in online news down their legs. Even so I'm sure he could have laid his hands on the money "somehow", but I think you're right about it being just him keeping his massive sweaty slab of a face in the media now he's fallen out of favour.

Sports coverage £2
Online news £3
Cosying up with Tories £20
Matt cartoons £350,000

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my circulation is dying

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
In nice uk news :lewis: happened and a Brit won his sixth f1 title

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Didn't he try and buy a cathedral to make an alt-right Hogwarts or something?

Italian monastery, and yes.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Angepain posted:

Sports coverage £2
Online news £3
Cosying up with Tories £20
Matt cartoons £350,000

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my circulation is dying
Spend less on cosying up with the Tories

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It wouldn't help with the budget, just do it anyway

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Poison Jam posted:

In nice uk news :lewis: happened and a Brit won his sixth f1 title

get in there lewis

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall his idea was to train people to become "online gladiators" which I assume involves given his love of rome involves a lot of pederasty.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

As I recall his idea was to train people to become "online gladiators" which I assume involves given his love of rome involves a lot of pederasty.

Nah he's just big into WoW Arena PvP

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Italian monastery, and yes.

Reality would be so much more fun if people that wanted to influence the world did have to make like an Xaviers School for Grifted Children instead of just buying a slot in the neoliberal superstructure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Extremely online gladiators.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

It's might be happening everyone...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It's might be happening everyone...

You're getting Laurak on the show?!

e;

Vitamin P posted:

Reality would be so much more fun if people that wanted to influence the world did have to make like an Xaviers School for Grifted Children instead of just buying a slot in the neoliberal superstructure.

This is a very good pun, I lmao'd

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

radmonger posted:

Think I will go with the scientists on this one. if there are 6 billion humans then those humans get to determine what the environment is. This remains unchanged even if we do determine that that way should be ‘exactly as it was when we got here’. The only way to leave the anthropocene would be to break the environment in such a way humans are no longer a viable mass population species.
Showing your age here, old man. There are 7.5 billion humans.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ms Adequate posted:

You're getting Laurak on the show?!

The only medium in which i'll engage with Keunnsberg is one in which I can throw rotten fruit.

Consider the above a teaser, but the pod crew will have a full and proper announcement to make this tomorrow evening.

e: the announcement is not about pelting Laura K with fruit

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ms Adequate posted:

One time I was flying back to the UK from my then-fiance and went through MSP and we were on the phone in the airport and decided it was bad and lovely to be apart when the Visa Waiver hadn't expired yet, so when they offered $800 of flight credit I leaped on it, stayed in a hotel overnight on Delta's dime as well, and spent the next day in Mall of America because the flight I got back to Montana instead of on to England was in the evening.

Well, that's my Minneapolis-St. Paul story.

MSP is probably the least lovely major airport I've ever been to, big, clean, pleasant to actually be in, loads of stores to browse (Including a surprisingly good bookstore that has much more than just airport pap!), a fuckin Galaga machine, food places, connection downtown via a neat tram system, the staff are friendly enough (Even the TSA are pretty polite and even the CBP guy who was suspicious of my anxiety at first became fully understanding when I showed him my doc's letter explaining it. I recognize that's big white privilege but compared to how they are in like Atlanta and Toronto, it's much better.).

Well, that's my MSP airport opinion.

My boyfriend lives in Minneapolis and I have been to the airport there quite a few times. It's lovely. An actively pleasant place to be. Barely like an airport at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

marktheando posted:

What is the deal with Milne? From the media I understand he's a Stalinist brexiteer who whispers in old king Corbyn's ear like wormtongue.

How much of that is true? I'm pretty sure he's probably not actually a Stalinist, but he definitely seems to be pro-Brexit?

A certain section of the pseudo-left press felt like he personally betrayed them by shifting camps to join the Corbyn project at the time when they were all trying to kill him stone dead. Because of that they were happy to nurture what is essentially a conspiracy theory about his dark Stalinist influence, which is now self-sustaining and has true believers.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Consider the above a teaser, but the pod crew will have a full and proper announcement to make this tomorrow evening.

You're not forming the Podcasting is Praxis Party, are you!?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did he used to be a weird auth leftie or something?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesky Splinter posted:

You're not forming the Podcasting is Praxis Party, are you!?

The world is not ready for the UKMT Party

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The world is not ready for the UKMT Party

But there ain't no party like a UKMT Party!

I mean, check out our expansive crisp policy, which I note, no other party is talking about. :colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

“Generally speaking, from our perspective, we have found that private fire crews are not first responders,” said Carroll Wills, communications director for California Professional Firefighters.

Private fire crews travel into evacuation zones in trucks equipped with water tanks and hoses and retardant, looking nearly identical to their government counterparts – though their sole task is to protect specific insured homes.

Torgerson, president of Wildfire Defense Systems, noted that while his teams are capable of fighting fires, “that’s not our mission in this case”.

“Our task with the insurance industry is more so to prepare the homes and secure them, prior to and after the fire, and contribute to the survivability,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/03/not-our-mission-private-fire-crews-protect-the-insured-not-the-public

cool

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

He wrote a really good book about Thatcher just stomping the heads of the working class during the miners strike but other than that I think he's just slightly leftier than most on the liberal-left, maybe he had a tanky phase but there's no good reason I can see to call him an authoritarian now, certainly he was on the right side of history when Nu Lab was rolling out extended detention and loving asbos.

He seems to have become a lighting rod for brainlets that think recognising legit critiques of the EU is Faragism though, and obviously the right wing press demonise anyone left of Pinochet, so there's a lot of ambient noise against him.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Neoliberalism is a loving disease :wtc:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

What is the deal with Milne? From the media I understand he's a Stalinist brexiteer who whispers in old king Corbyn's ear like wormtongue.

How much of that is true? I'm pretty sure he's probably not actually a Stalinist, but he definitely seems to be pro-Brexit?

He is anti-EU, and would rather we soft-Brexit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

A certain section of the pseudo-left press felt like he personally betrayed them by shifting camps to join the Corbyn project at the time when they were all trying to kill him stone dead. Because of that they were happy to nurture what is essentially a conspiracy theory about his dark Stalinist influence, which is now self-sustaining and has true believers.

Also he was privately-educated and was known in a lot of the elite circles only to become a Communist so a lot of them loving hate that someone in their peer group had a soul.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That was Blair. Then he turned into a weird auth neolib.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving lol of course its jess phillips who is in the episode explaining her in depth knowledge of milne

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1191065277645111296

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Seamus Milne is such a hard core Stalinist that he ran the Guardian opinion pages for years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're secretly jealous of his secret aging techniques since he's 61

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

they're secretly jealous of his secret aging techniques since he's 61

Seriously? He looks like 35.