Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

e: I guess more than anything it seems to me that everone's implementation of firmware-ish-level H.264 encoding on GPU dies has been just abysmal and that's the actual problem here.

I think he means hardware encoders. They're proprietary implementations that come with fixed presets and bitrates.
Nvidia Pascal architecture has acceptable quality and Turing improved upon that to the point where it is quite useable. I'm not up to date on AMD quality but it was pretty bad with Polaris.

I don't use Plex but if it supports NVENC then I'd build a system with the cheapest Turing card with full NVENC support (GTX 1660? — not sure) unless you want to throw a lot of cores at it for software encoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yep, QuickSync uses special chips that're included in the iGPU of the Intel chips, so while it doesn't use GPGPU execution units like nvenc, it does need the iGPU to be on the die.
These fixed-function decoding and encoding chips are only good for a subset of the codec they support, which means you're at the mercy of Intel to have chosen a codec at the particular bitrate and settings that are fixed in the hardware.
Unfortunately for all of us, Intel have decided that the baseline profile, which is primarily used for video conferencing and mobile video, is good enough - so it looks absolute shite if you're transcoding onto your TV, for example.

Makes sense! It's not that the extra $100 is a deal breaker - but honestly it seems like most of the latest generation seems to be moving more towards no integrated graphics because of how standard having dedicated GPUs are these days.

DrDork posted:

Yup, and GPGPU encoding also tends to look like poo poo in general. Video encoding is one of the areas where you still really want to be doing everything on the CPU.

That said, unless you're really interested in power efficiency, if you're setting up a server box you should be trolling eBay and the like for used Xeon parts. You can get silly amount of processing power for real cheap these days by buying a Haswell-era or similar part.

I am much too lazy and low effort to search and buy used off of something like eBay.

eames posted:

I think he means hardware encoders. They're proprietary implementations that come with fixed presets and bitrates.
Nvidia Pascal architecture has acceptable quality and Turing improved upon that to the point where it is quite useable. I'm not up to date on AMD quality but it was pretty bad with Polaris.

I don't use Plex but if it supports NVENC then I'd build a system with the cheapest Turing card with full NVENC support (GTX 1660? — not sure) unless you want to throw a lot of cores at it for software encoding.

That's correct. The GTX 1050 TI that I have does fully support the NVENC codec. It's an extra card I have laying around (bought it as a backup when my previous died and I had to wait on the RMA) so if I can reuse it, awesome. I can go ask this in the GPU thread too.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 3, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

Plex supports NVENC and I’ve had a really positive experience with it. Just set the bitrate modestly higher than you would do for a CPU encode and enjoy.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The ASICs that accelerate encoding like those in quicksync and nvenc make trade offs of precision, complexity and features in exchange for speed and power efficiency, pure software encoding can be set to make no quality/precision/complexity or supported feature trade offs but will incur a huge performance penalty in exchange. If the differences in implementation actually translate to something detectable by the average human in a high bit rate archival encode is debatable. It is more likely that pure software encoding can achieve the same quality output with fewer bits instead of its output being universally better than hardware encoding if you just throw as many bits as it needs to look good.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Doh004 posted:

I am much too lazy and low effort to search and buy used off of something like eBay.

That's correct. The GTX 1050 TI that I have does fully support the NVENC codec. It's an extra card I have laying around (bought it as a backup when my previous died and I had to wait on the RMA) so if I can reuse it, awesome. I can go ask this in the GPU thread too.

It's your money/choice and all, but you can pick up E3-1270v3 or similar for $75 all day every day.

How many streams and what else is this server going to be doing, anyhow? If it's just one or two non-4k streams at a time, even a simple i3-9100F would be easily able to handle the load.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

DrDork posted:

It's your money/choice and all, but you can pick up E3-1270v3 or similar for $75 all day every day.

How many streams and what else is this server going to be doing, anyhow? If it's just one or two non-4k streams at a time, even a simple i3-9100F would be easily able to handle the load.

At most, probably 4 1080p streams at once if all of my family members are watching something at once from their homes while we're watching something in our living room. This isn't for a huge group of people or anything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You'll probably be fine, then. I'm assuming that at least two of those streams would be on your internal network, and thus not need transcoding at all--simply serving up a stream without processing is trivial for modern CPUs.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

DrDork posted:

Yeah I just checked and two years ago I paid 300 shipped for a used HP box with an e5-2650v2 and 32gb of ecc ram. All I did was plug a bunch of 8tb wd reds and an unraid USB stick in. It's worth mentioning that I am far too stupid to deal with Linux for more than ten minutes and I have had zero problems with my unraid box.

eames
May 9, 2009

Silicon Lottery published their 9900Ks binning stats

100% 5.0 GHz
31% 5.1 GHz
3% 5.2 GHz

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I worked for a stint in digital video broadcast, distribution, and encoding. Nobody that’s really competitive at commercial scale does GPU based encoders of any sort. Netflix, for example, is running map reduce jobs on chunks of video at a time and encodes at like 200x real-time as a result. For some others that put out content that airs simultaneously with live broadcast like most network and premium TV shows, there’s a ton of industry standards (or more correctly, lack thereof) that keep some of these systems from adopting stuff live (HBO Now doesn’t support Real Time with Bill Maher for example).

The typical point of stuff like NVEnc and QuickSync is for video teleconferencing on low end laptops to keep them from sucking up battery and where quality doesn’t matter terribly much. NVEnc silicon hasn’t changed that much for like 6 years and commercial vendors are not supporting it anymore due to how little nVidia has kept it maintained and because video encoding standards are so much more advanced these days.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

eames posted:

100% 5.0 GHz
31% 5.1 GHz
3% 5.2 GHz

One thing about their binning statistics for the 9900k that strikes me as amusing is their 4.8 GHz all core model has an AVX frequency of 4.6 GHz. Stock performance of a 9900k is 4.7 GHz all core with no AVX offset, literally 100% of the samples should be able to do 4.7 GHz all core AVX.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

100% 5.0 GHz
31% 5.1 GHz
3% 5.2 GHz

However they are doing it at way better voltages.

eg 5.1 GHz on the 9900K is 1.312V, on the 9900KS it's 1.287V. So 0.025V lower for the same clocks.

That means even easier cooling - not that 1.312V is a big problem after delid, but these will run even cooler.

Also, if you don't pussyfoot around with the voltages like SL is doing, then you can undoubtedly ramp those clocks up even more. I would guess that 100% of those chips will do 5.1 at 1.312V or slightly above. I would guess the majority will do 5.2 at 1.37 or so. The golden 3% there will probably do 5.3 and stay at 1.4v or under.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm not in a position to argue against that as I’ve never owned a SL binned CPU but they certainly are not known to be conservative on voltages. They test voltages right at the edge of what their QVL cooling systems are capable of. Something like a NH-D15 doesn't even make it to that list.

All of their advertised overclocks are also done with unrealistically slow RAM (max. DDR4-2800 for 4 DIMMs, max. DDR4-3200 for 2 DIMMS) and faster RAM does effect core overclocking results negatively in my experience, not just due to higher heat dissipation from VCCIO/VCCSA.

I'm sure there are people out there that think that $1200 for a guaranteed 5.2 GHz 9900K with -2 AVX Offset is a good deal. I'm not one of them but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a bunch of 5.3/5.4 GHz examples privately to HFT people for much, much more than that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

I'm not in a position to argue against that as I’ve never owned a SL binned CPU but they certainly are not known to be conservative on voltages. They test voltages right at the edge of what their QVL cooling systems are capable of. Something like a NH-D15 doesn't even make it to that list.

Well, their cooling systems must have gotten shittier since last week, because they were willing to test up to 1.312V on the last batch of chips and now they're only willing to test 1.287V, on the same product.

edit: the more salient point there (from another poster, not from SiliconLottery themselves) is that they test at a -2 AVX offset and yeah, AVX is going to be tougher and tougher to push at 5+ GHz. But they don't have to keep one AVX offset across the whole lineup... they list AVX and non-AVX bins separately on their historical binning statistics... they could leave AVX at 4.9 and keep stepping up the non-AVX clocks where possible (i.e. increasing AVX offset on the top bins). But SiliconLottery's claim that they need lower voltages than the K series because of thermal limitations doesn't pass the sniff test.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 4, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Their 5.2ghz are at 1.325, what are you on about?

If they could hit 5.3 and have it be sufficiently stable they could charge like $600 more per processor than they are for 5.2, I don't think they aren't trying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is the technology that Intel uses for inter-core communication? I've absorbed a bunch of information about Ryzen's Infinity Fabric, and I'd like to know about how Intel does it, or is the design so different that there's no analogue?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is the technology that Intel uses for inter-core communication? I've absorbed a bunch of information about Ryzen's Infinity Fabric, and I'd like to know about how Intel does it, or is the design so different that there's no analogue?

"Ring bus"

https://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/intels-sandy-bridge-architecture-exposed/4

https://pcper.com/2017/06/the-intel-core-i9-7900x-10-core-skylake-x-processor-review/3/

(at least for the consumer chips, workstation/server chips have moved to a 2D mesh routing.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/the-amd-threadripper-2990wx-and-2950x-review/4

As core counts increased, Broadwell server chips used a pretty crazy dual-ringbus arrangement that Intel abandoned with the Skylake-X/Skylake-SP generation.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-xeon-e5-2600-v4-broadwell-ep,4514-2.html

Basically ringbus is very fast and very power efficient, for limited core counts, but obviously the latency increases with higher core counts (as the number of hops between "farthest" nodes increases), which is why Intel moved off it. Zen is actually faster within a CCX, but slower between CCXs. On top of that there are also differences in cache topology - Intel is a Single Big Inclusive Cache which favors gaming as well as some per-thread-performance-sensitive applications (single-threaded isn't quite the right concept), while AMD is actually a separate cache per CCX (although they might be moving away from this next generation), and a victim cache (only stuff that isn't actively used gets to L3 and can be snooped easily).

Also if you are interested in this stuff you should read Agner Fog's "Microarchitecture", everything you ever wanted to know about low-level CPU design. https://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 5, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's a video about the arcane magic that is EUV lithography
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gMdGrVteI

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

2 years ago:

mobby_6kl posted:

Is ARM on servers the new Linux on desktop thing I keep hearing every year?

1 year ago:

Rastor posted:

Hah, apparently I had set a reminder to myself for one year after this post.

Linux on the desktop: Well, Linux Apps on Chromebooks rolled out as official/stable a little under 2 months ago. Chromebooks were already a fairly popular Linux-based system but you can now actually run things like GIMP and Android Studio on a Chromebook in an official way.

ARM on servers: still mostly a nope I think. Qualcomm walked away from it. Should I check in next year?

FunOne posted:

Probably. I think ARM on the Desktop is coming soon(tm). The eternal rumor is that the progress Apple is making on their A00x chips will translate into real laptops at some point in the near future.

Problem with the server environment is that you have plenty of power and cooling to work with. The progress that has been made on ARM is on small & efficient where as Intel knows how to blow some power on computing.

I would expect ARMs to continue to grow in the dedication 'application' space (AI, storage, networking, etc). If I'm building a node to run a bunch of custom silicon for Tensorflow why not slap a decent ARM module down there and just run the loader OS on it. I'm pretty sure this is actually how the Google TPUs work.

I mean, how many ARM processors are there already in a normal rack mount server? I'm guessing half a dozen between management, security, etc. If not way more.

Well, it's another year gone by. Chromebook sales are booming.

quote:

According to the latest report from The NPD Group that tracks retail sales in the U.S., consumers are buying into the Chrome OS ecosystem at an accelerated pace. In fact, overall sales of non-Chrome OS notebooks were down 6.1% while Chromebooks enjoyed a 22% YoY growth spurt.

ARM on the Desktop:... still hasn't really come, a year later. At least, whatever Apple's doing is still only rumors. Microsoft made a bit of a splash with their SQ1 processor for the Surface Pro X, but it is reviewing poorly.

And ARM on the server... yeah I think Intel has successfully staved off any competition there. AMD's x86 options are the competition there.

Should I set the alarm again... ?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yes.

eames
May 9, 2009

Geekbench score of a Dell AIO with a 10C/20T Comet Lake CPU leaked

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14904070

The score is useless because of clockspeed and RAM but Q1/2020 sounds about right.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2019/11/ipas-november-2019-intel-platform-update-ipu/

quote:

Intel is heavily invested in both industry collaboration and in conducting security research into our own products. As a result, while we are addressing 77 vulnerabilities this month, 67 were discovered internally through our own testing, validation and analysis. We believe that assigning CVE ID’s and publicly documenting internally found vulnerabilities helps our customers to accurately assess risk, prioritize, and deploy updates. By the time you are reading this blog post, mitigations for many of these issues will have already been propagated throughout the ecosystem through the IPU process. At the same time, the external researchers who reported the remaining issues to us have all been good partners in working with us on coordinated vulnerability disclosure (CVD).

Intel plz. I remember when six or more CVEs in A YEAR was unusual, but 77 in a month?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 13, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
By my read it’s just thinking harder about errata most wouldn’t look at anyway? A lot of errata have a fantastically small audience, BIOS/(efi whatever) authors before the ucode patch is loaded. It still needs to be documented for them but it’s not a cloud attack vector.

eames
May 9, 2009

The release also includes a fix for a new erratum. The fix will reduce performance by 0-4% depending on the workload.

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/mitigations-jump-conditional-code-erratum.pdf

My good old 8700K still has 20% higher single thread performance than the leaked 3950X if Geekbench is any indication but it doesn't look like that'll last at this rate. :toot:

e: phoronix provides benchmarks and games are also affected. It's not horrible (though hosting companies using PHP may disagree) but the performance losses add up if one of these gets released every year.

eames fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 13, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2019/11/ipas-november-2019-intel-platform-update-ipu/

Intel plz. I remember when six or more CVEs in A YEAR was unusual, but 77 in a month?
I might argue that the reason it was 6 CVEs in a year was that they just didn't publish information about it publicly, and only informed their partners like the three-letter agencies?

There's also http://tpm.fail/ which we've known about for almost a month.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
TAA/RIDL, too.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So is this critical affecting Server/Cloud environments or "my gaming PC" as well? What would the scenario be?

eames
May 9, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

So is this critical affecting Server/Cloud environments or "my gaming PC" as well? What would the scenario be?

From what I understand Zombieload/RIDL are mostly about data leaks via untrusted code. In *theory* your CPU could leak the content of your unlocked password manager window while you visit a site with a malicious javascript ad.

All you can do is keep your computer up to date. OS, BIOS, Browser. Adblocker won't hurt either.

The multiple research teams that found these exploits suspect that there are many similar variants of this exploit that will be discovered over the years.
That's why they strongly suggest disabling Hyperthreading which makes these attacks significantly faster and easier. Obviously that's a major performance/efficiency loss depending on the workload.

Intel is trying to fix this on a more granular level (new steppings, microcode, software updates) but they can only fix what they find or what gets disclosed to them.

I suspect Intel would've phased out HT for consumers with the 10th gen if it wasn't for AMD.

e: there's also a bug in the managment engine that allows access to the machine over the (local?) network. That was fixed via a firmware update which typically comes bundled with BIOS updates.

eames fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 13, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eames posted:

In *theory* your CPU could leak the content of your unlocked password manager window while you visit a site with a malicious javascript ad.
Minor detail, but this is not applicable since the first wave of userspace information leaks back around Spectre/Meltdown, as both Chrome and Firefox (and hopefully all other browsers using javascript) have loosened timing resolutions such that javascript can no longer be used for it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Or you can just disable javascript and make browsing the internet infinitely quicker and easier

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Disable html for maximum ease of use.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Intel outside for shitposting in Something Awful then?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://mdsattacks.com

eames
May 9, 2009

https://zombieloadattack.com is another one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Recently got a notification from our Dell reps that some orders might be delayed in the coming months due to shipping delays from Intel.

eames posted:

That's why they strongly suggest disabling Hyperthreading which makes these attacks significantly faster and easier. Obviously that's a major performance/efficiency loss depending on the workload.

Heh, I don't even have hyperthreading on my Haswell i5. :smuggo:

eames
May 9, 2009

Somebody on a different forum pointed out that Intel released new microcode for security mitigations yesterday and the AMD 3950X embargo got lifted today.

Technically they released the fixes before this round of benchmarks got published but practically nobody took the time to update their 9900K(S) machines to redo the benchmarks. :tinfoil:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eames posted:

Somebody on a different forum pointed out that Intel released new microcode for security mitigations yesterday and the AMD 3950X embargo got lifted today.

Technically they released the fixes before this round of benchmarks got published but practically nobody took the time to update their 9900K(S) machines to redo the benchmarks. :tinfoil:

The 3950X pretty much destroys any Intel offerings at price/performance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....I think Intel was better off not shooting themselves in the foot when they were still ignoring AMD. This performance anxiety they've suddenly contracted a case of is gonna be ugly for the next few years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ratbert90 posted:

The 3950X pretty much destroys any Intel offerings at price/performance.

Intel sweeps gaming still, which is the point of the 9900KS and the primary reason for sales in DIY PCs, so I would be interested to see if the microcode hit performance at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

eames posted:

The release also includes a fix for a new erratum. The fix will reduce performance by 0-4% depending on the workload.

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/mitigations-jump-conditional-code-erratum.pdf

My good old 8700K still has 20% higher single thread performance than the leaked 3950X if Geekbench is any indication but it doesn't look like that'll last at this rate. :toot:

e: phoronix provides benchmarks and games are also affected. It's not horrible (though hosting companies using PHP may disagree) but the performance losses add up if one of these gets released every year.

0-4%... Or 20%...

https://twitter.com/damageboy/status/1194751045454454784