Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Majora's mask is the only good zelda game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

LttP isn't as good as people say it is but it was necessary for the (far superior) Link's Awakening to exist

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Playing games on a screen on your memory card is stupid.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

LttP isn't as good as people say it is but it was necessary for the (far superior) Link's Awakening to exist

When I was a kid I spent half of link's awakening in the inventory menu switching weapons. It's amazing how much better having dedicated sword, shield and run buttons made the remake.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shibawanko posted:

Some of the games are okay in spite of the absolutely 100% bad console they are on, but the N64 was just a breeding chamber of bad game design practices

The N64 was one of the last of the early console nightmare boxes, joining esteemed company like the Sega Saturn and Atari Jaguar

The 64 tho wasn't an evolutionary dead end of hardware design, it was like a teeny tiny demo of how future consoles would handle graphics, so it was real unique.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

When I was a kid I spent half of link's awakening in the inventory menu switching weapons. It's amazing how much better having dedicated sword, shield and run buttons made the remake.

does the remake still allow you to create a rocket launcher by having the bow in one hand and bombs in the other?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Oldstench posted:

Dusk and Amid Evil are ok games. I'm not really feeling the over-the-top hype for them. Also, the jump in Amid Evil sucks rear end.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed in Dusk. All I wanted was something that felt like Quake and that's clearly what they were going for but they only got like 75% of the way there. The speed kinda felt right but most of the weapons sucked and the enemies were all bullet sponges. The boss fights were really bad too.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This Outer Worlds game is boring and lame, its like they did the bare minimum to count as a return to the genre and all the reviewers are sucking their dick for playing it beyond safe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

This Outer Worlds game is boring and lame, its like they did the bare minimum to count as a return to the genre and all the reviewers are sucking their dick for playing it beyond safe.

I think everyone is just so sick of Bethesda's phoned-in bullshit that they'll heap praise on anyone else who throws their hat in the same ring with a mostly competent offering. Even if "mostly competent" is in fact all there is to say about it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Rutibex posted:

LttP is still good because you can play it with a randomizer that scrambles all the items and dungeons

I've been playing randomizers of the game boy Zelda games and just so everyone knows the rankings are

1. Oracle of Seasons
2. Oracle of Ages
3. Links Awakening

I'm sad Link's Awakening is so low on the list but it doesn't really lend itself to randomizers well unless you like entrance randomizers, which I do not. There aren't a lot of non-dungeon item checks, and you typically get the power bracelet, sword, and jump feather early due to logic. That's even with selecting options to make the world more explorable by default (remove the walrus, the obstacle blocking the path the Animal Village, the flower in front of dungeon 2, etc) It especially doesn't work well because the randomizer I found doesn't let you use the version of the game where you can super-jump. There may be settings that result in a good experience though.

Seasons works better than Ages because Ages ends up pretty linear based on the way the logic works. In seasons you get the LttP experience where you complete the game in a different order every time. Not only do you unlock the seasons in a random order, but the default season each area is in is also randomized so some areas have pathways or obstacles by default that wouldn't usually be there. Plus you can randomize Subrosia entrances, which I do like. In Ages the time travel mechanism does not end up giving you a lot of freedom and diversity of exploration.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

You are consistently insufferable. About a wide variety of things, to a wide variety of people still here.

It's nice that you've posted your personal mantra, but do you have an unpopular video game opinion to share?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah I was pretty disappointed in Dusk. All I wanted was something that felt like Quake and that's clearly what they were going for but they only got like 75% of the way there. The speed kinda felt right but most of the weapons sucked and the enemies were all bullet sponges. The boss fights were really bad too.

They overused some enemy types in a big way and there are a few levels that are literally lovely, cramped, dark hallways so I'd totally agree with you. It's a 3/5 game all the way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just played LA remake and it was dope, but I have no idea why anyone would consider it better than LTTP. The puzzles are piss easy for 75% of the game and then a huge difficulty spike comes out of nowhere, and it's not like the puzzles actually become that much more challenging. They just become more tedious and obtuse. It's very charming and good game for the most part, but the puzzles are the least clever of any Zelda game I've ever played.

A Link Between Worlds absolutely blows every other 2D Zelda out of the water.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The fact that people are making all kinds of computer video games but aren't making Ultima Underworld and Ultima Underworld 2 only with tolerable controls is very hosed up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I just played LA remake and it was dope, but I have no idea why anyone would consider it better than LTTP. The puzzles are piss easy for 75% of the game and then a huge difficulty spike comes out of nowhere, and it's not like the puzzles actually become that much more challenging. They just become more tedious and obtuse. It's very charming and good game for the most part, but the puzzles are the least clever of any Zelda game I've ever played.

I liked the item trading and the "cover all the tiles" puzzles in turtle rock. The eagle's tower puzzle is pretty cool too

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I liked LA more simply because it had way more charm, and I was way more involved in that world. LA also had a more relaxed feel, with a more open world and less gate-keeping

The fact that LA was made for the Game Boy is pretty miraculous as well, easily one of the best games on that system

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would absolutely love a tight 12-14 hour Zelda game with like 3 massive dungeons and no item collecting, just a full toolset from the start.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I would absolutely love a tight 12-14 hour Zelda game with like 3 massive dungeons and no item collecting, just a full toolset from the start.

this is basically mega man legends

e: if you can put up with a late 90s ps1 control scheme that predates twin stick pads

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
IMO puzzles aren't whats important for a good zelda game. I think above all the world has to feel cool and fun to explore.

To that end, I think they made a bad decision on increasing the number of warp points and letting you warp from anywhere in the new LA. It's not a very big game, you could move from one end of the map to another in a few minutes. Becoming familiar with the world holistically is what made me fall in love with it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why the hell hasn't there been a Bushido Blade game recently?

They owned so hard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Why the hell hasn't there been a Bushido Blade game recently?

They owned so hard.

They made 3 increasingly bad psuedo sequels on PS2 then a bunch of random chucklers made Deadliest Warrior and showed SE they could never match that so give up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ocean Book posted:

IMO puzzles aren't whats important for a good zelda game. I think above all the world has to feel cool and fun to explore.

I'd agree with that sentiment, especially since, as I pointed out earlier, 90% of the puzzles since day 1 have been tedious block pushing or simply kill everything in the room.

And the block pushing is often only capable of being done in one direction so you wind up having to rub your face on every block from all sides.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Outer Worlds is OK. It's not great

Feels like the sequel might be interesting, with some more meat on its bones

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I havnt played The Outer Worlds yet but everything i read on here makes me want to not bother

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the retro-futurist style is dumb, i'd rather they just ripped off blade runner like everyone else

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Whorelord posted:

the retro-futurist style is dumb, i'd rather they just ripped off blade runner like everyone else

Nah it's good.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I just think the concept of the game is a bit weak

Fallout = bombed out post apocalypse. Mad Max style

Mass Effect = Big sci-fi opera in the early days of mankinds expansion into the larger galactic scene. Also, there are robot old gods

Outer Worlds = There are exploitative corporations here. Deal with them for the entire game

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So it's like Borderlands except it actually takes itself seriously?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It tells a couple of really cool small scale stories that work but the overall narrative is real weak and didn’t engage me at all and I had a lot of fun with the relatively limited amount of free form gameplay there is. It’s also very pretty and plenty of aspects are ok but not awful but i feel like I’ve listed all the things about it that are actually good in this post

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

internet celebrity posted:

So it's like Borderlands except it actually takes itself seriously?

If it had a convulted looter system like borderlands it might actually be better imo but it doesn’t take itself super seriously, it just plays it fairly straight and then winks at you a lot and makes you feel uncomfortable

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It’s weird how much goons describe it as utterly poo poo and worthless but then again it’s also extremely weird how utterly fawning critics have been bc it’s maybe the most quintessentially ‘ok’ game I can think of so maybe it’s just the natural balance of the universe

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

You have to pick a side!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fartbox posted:

You have to pick a side!!!

well if you put it that way i'm pro whichever side has goatse

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BTW if you are like me and you have like 20 pages of stupid steam trading cards in your steam inventory you can mass sell them with a chrome extension called steam inventory helper. After 100 or so listings if they start showing up as listings awaiting confirmation in the market you need to check all the boxes and confirm them in the mobile app on the confirmation tab. im gonna make like :10bux:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

poverty goat posted:

BTW if you are like me and you have like 20 pages of stupid steam trading cards in your steam inventory you can mass sell them with a chrome extension called steam inventory helper. After 100 or so listings if they start showing up as listings awaiting confirmation in the market you need to check all the boxes and confirm them in the mobile app on the confirmation tab. im gonna make like :10bux:

what on earth are steam trading cards even for? i've never really understood what is going on there besides "probably money laundering"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

They are for making Valve money.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have no idea but I bought Mad Max for $3.50 and got a "rare" card that sold for $2.75 so no complaints here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

food court bailiff posted:

what on earth are steam trading cards even for? i've never really understood what is going on there besides "probably money laundering"

what does your heart tell you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Consensus in CSPAM is The Outer Worlds had bad timing coming out after Disco Elysium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Consensus in CSPAM is The Outer Worlds had bad timing coming out after Disco Elysium.

i don't even know what Disco Elysium is and i found the outer worlds to be meh