Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I mean yes it's silly but don't forget that billionaires make millions just for farting

In the modern celebration of Hanukkah, 36 candles are kindled in the menorah over the eight days of that holiday (not including the shamash candle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I think it's because I'm used to "X that owns corporation Y earns Z per day" but not newspaper cartoonists that do single panels.

I am not saying X that owns Y is more deserving.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

WhatEvil posted:

Ah OK.

I won't be back from work til ~10:30 UK time. I'd be keen to give some input but I guess I'll have to catch up for someone or just give my two cents ITT or something.

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1189594345671974912?s=20

As if you could buy this kind of content for a measly £29k/month.

i don't know uk political cartoonists very well, i assumed the cartoonist in question was one of those who do a lot of scatological caricatures. i'm very disappointed

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Matt's one of the poo poo ones. Not the most racist (that belongs to - now retired - Mac of the Daily Mail), and on about the same artist level as Paul Thomas, who draws literally everyone as thumb people and gets another artist to do caricatures - though at least Thomas paints in colour (although he still has really bad views).

It's Martin Rowson and Steven Bell who do the great scatalogical grotesques.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Half seven onwards

I know I said in the discord I was going to bed, don’t @ me

I'm always on the wrong shift. :saddowns:
If can think of any suggestions, will post them in the discord.

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1189594345671974912?s=20

As if you could buy this kind of content for a measly £29k/month.

I want to know what blackmail Matt has on people to be given that much for his complete loving trash cartoons.

You could literally replace the text with one from any random one of his other cartoons, and it makes as much sense - that's how loving lazy his poo poo is. Maybe he's beat us to the punch, and just has a random text generator that attaches it to one of his older drawings.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 4, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm always on the wrong shift. :saddowns:
If can think of any suggestions, will post them in the discord.

I want to know what blackmail Matt has on people to be given that much for his complete loving trash cartoons.

You could literally replace the text with one from any random one of his other cartoons, and it makes as much sense - that's how loving lazy his poo poo is. Maybe he's beat us to the punch, and just has a random text generator that attaches it to one of his older drawings.

Most of his cartoons also work with the various New Yorker cartoon formulas - replace the text with "Get a load of this rear end in a top hat" or "Ok boomer" and they're at least as funny, and normally considerably funnier, than the originals.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
He doesn't even need to buy as many colours of felt tip as Paul Thomas

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's basically parliawint in lovely comic doodle form

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
no parliawint is good

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

bump_fn posted:

no parliawint is good

Yes I meant the method, like he totally has a big folder of doodles and he just grabs one every time and slaps a random vaguely contemporarily relevant quote on it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

bump_fn posted:

no parliawint is good

no, parliawint is good

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
To produce a picture like that could take up to two hours. There's little technical flexes he does, mainly having multiple subjects in a frame in consistent perspective, and managing to have his unusual face drawing technique be legible at numerous angles. That two hours is assuming he's only producing one picture, and not doing the photographer's strategy of making a shitload of images to only submit the best one. It's not worth £29k a month but it's definitely not poo poo. The man's tidiness, watercolouring and linework are things I am envious of.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's really quite amazing that the Telegraph is still taken so seriously when it has a piddling readership of 385,000.

Compare that to the 2.5 million who watched Labour's first campaign video on Twitter alone, within the first 24 hours.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most of his cartoons also work with the various New Yorker cartoon formulas - replace the text with "Get a load of this rear end in a top hat" or "Ok boomer" and they're at least as funny, and normally considerably funnier, than the originals.

Hey, it works!

Azza Bamboo posted:

To produce a picture like that could take up to two hours. There's little technical flexes he does, mainly having multiple subjects in a frame in consistent perspective, and managing to have his unusual face drawing technique be legible at numerous angles. That two hours is assuming he's only producing one picture, and not doing the photographer's strategy of making a shitload of images to only submit the best one. It's not worth £29k a month but it's definitely not poo poo. The man's tidiness, watercolouring and linework are things I am envious of.

Yeah, I mean, on a technical level, the art is consistent, clean, simple, and easy to read. But it is soooo loving sterile. And way too much of it is "Two people with identical faces walking on a diagonal with open mouths with a big billboard with text on it".

[e]: Also this; your comics and cartoons have actually made me laugh.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 4, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azza Bamboo posted:

I appreciate that it is a matter of artistic skill and respect, but I want to make extremely clear to you that you are vastly better than Matt is in every regard, and in a just world, if he's being paid 29 large a month, you would rightly earn enough to be the world's first defensible billionaire.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Azza Bamboo posted:

His drawing isn't terrible but it's also just completely devoid of any imagination, insight or character.

Fake edit ^ Yeah, sterile is a good word for it.

Just when you compare his art etc. to somebody like John Cullen:

https://twitter.com/nellucnhoj/status/1061623788960473089?s=20

Or his imagination, character and wit to somebody like, well, Azza Bamboo, it's utterly flabbergasting that he makes as much as he does.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Going to be honest, Michael Gove demanding Big Boy Bastani swear loyalty to Israel after he got caught out posting a right wing twitter account posing as a Labour member isn't something I expected in the first week of campaigning.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

loving lmao

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re mattchat, isn’t it good that a worker owns the fruits of his own labour instead of a capitalist?

Of course, if you apply that rule strictly then investment bankers are good because they basically defraud capital owners.

E: Azza B, do you have an online gallery? I wanted to share your Lib Dem bird landing in the Tory tree cartoon from before but could not find it.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 4, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It reminds me of a discussion yeats ago in the Ctrl-Alt-Del thread years ago - someone posted a CAD comic with the text removed and asked if you could guess what the characters were doing, and then did the same with a few others like Penny Arcade, PvP and VGCats.

At least with VGCats and PA, the characters facial expressions and poses expressed what they were saying, but with CAD you had no idea because it was all expressionless poo poo. The same thing is happening here. There's nothing interesting or visually unique going on.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving lol

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Re mattchat, isn’t it good that a worker owns the fruits of his own labour instead of a capitalist?

Of course, if you apply that rule strictly then investment bankers are good because they basically defraud capital owners.

E: Azza B, do you have an online gallery? I wanted to share your Lib Dem bird landing in the Tory tree cartoon from before but could not find it.

Well here's this one:

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1179080831601643521?s=20

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pesky Splinter posted:

Meh they know what the kind of people (ie: boomers) who read their paper want:
-The artwork is simple, clean, and easy to quickly parse, both in style and subject, with a comfortable familiarity for long-time readers
-Compare that to busyness or scary abstractness of Rowson, Squires et al, which will likely confuse and put them off with its creative visuals/layers of meaning, etc
-Its also always based around a familiar home or local situation so that they can instantly relate the story to their everyday life
-The opinions expressed are also always designed to conform to and reinforce whatever gut feeling the reader already has (or should have!) about the subject.

Its designed to be familiar and flattering to its boomer readers, reminding them that they are indeed the centre of the universe and the only sane ones in a world gone mad, and they are totally right and justified to feel/think the way they do.

MoonBoots
Nov 17, 2012

Is Trump a secret Labourite? Because every time he speaks about the UK he seems to improve our chances. Can't wait for him to visit right before the election!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It reminds me of a discussion yeats ago in the Ctrl-Alt-Del thread years ago - someone posted a CAD comic with the text removed and asked if you could guess what the characters were doing, and then did the same with a few others like Penny Arcade, PvP and VGCats.

At least with VGCats and PA, the characters facial expressions and poses expressed what they were saying, but with CAD you had no idea because it was all expressionless poo poo. The same thing is happening here. There's nothing interesting or visually unique going on.

Holy poo poo lmao :hmbol:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yeah, this is why I hesitate to condemn like, sports stars and musicians and the like who make mad bank. I want higher taxes on them, but it's money earned honestly through giving a lot of people what they want (Even if we can all quibble about whether someone is 'worth' a club paying £X money for) and even if it's outsized to their social contributions, it still relies on a lot of people voluntarily deciding that Sports is Good and Valuable, or an album is The Slap, or whatever. In short they're providing actual value, I guess. Twats what move money around or just own property are leeches who should be a far more immediate target. Matt's a bit different because he uses his work to directly stan for conservative hatred and boomer cowardice, so he's actively doing harm even if he's also doing honest work.

Plus I'm a little hesitant to condemn that kind of thing because historically some of the very few ways a poor kid from the council estates/projects/banlieues could actually make huge money have been to be LeBron or Ronaldo or some poor scouser kids in the 50s, which I recognize is a very tiny positive in a very negative system and makes no systemic difference. But ehhh as above, I think there are much bigger targets to go after first, and it'd be much better to worry about a fairer and better society elsewhere before we worry about any kind of systemic corrections of that kind of thing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah, this is why I hesitate to condemn like, sports stars and musicians and the like who make mad bank. I want higher taxes on them, but it's money earned honestly through giving a lot of people what they want (Even if we can all quibble about whether someone is 'worth' a club paying £X money for) and even if it's outsized to their social contributions, it still relies on a lot of people voluntarily deciding that Sports is Good and Valuable, or an album is The Slap, or whatever. In short they're providing actual value, I guess. Twats what move money around or just own property are leeches who should be a far more immediate target. Matt's a bit different because he uses his work to directly stan for conservative hatred and boomer cowardice, so he's actively doing harm even if he's also doing honest work.

Plus I'm a little hesitant to condemn that kind of thing because historically some of the very few ways a poor kid from the council estates/projects/banlieues could actually make huge money have been to be LeBron or Ronaldo or some poor scouser kids in the 50s, which I recognize is a very tiny positive in a very negative system and makes no systemic difference. But ehhh as above, I think there are much bigger targets to go after first, and it'd be much better to worry about a fairer and better society elsewhere before we worry about any kind of systemic corrections of that kind of thing.

Yeah, I think we've had this discussion before about footballers and other high-net-worth individuals that still ostensibly earn their money through work. I think the general consensus is that while they're an edge case, they still often have more in common with us proles than with the capitalist class.

I mean you only have to look at the various movie stars who were forced to work with Weinstein, or how Taylor Swift's entire back catalogue ended up owned by someone who apparently bullied her for years. Or how Kaepernick ended up losing his football career because he pissed off his managers. They might be absolutely loaded and could technically give up their careers any time, but if you scratch the surface their 'image', their output and their future financial success usually turns out to be completely controlled by someone else who sits in the background and skims off the lion's share of the profits. So their labour is still not their own, no matter how much they make.

jabby fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 4, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I thought Matts deal was that they gave him a theme and he had to churn out a comic in record time before publication. So he was basically on call 24 hours a day for this.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's like a $3000 tablet to paste together faces Southpark style with.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tigey posted:

Meh they know what the kind of people (ie: boomers) who read their paper want:
-The artwork is simple, clean, and easy to quickly parse, both in style and subject, with a comfortable familiarity for long-time readers
-Compare that to busyness or scary abstractness of Rowson, Squires et al, which will likely confuse and put them off with its creative visuals/layers of meaning, etc
-Its also always based around a familiar home or local situation so that they can instantly relate the story to their everyday life
-The opinions expressed are also always designed to conform to and reinforce whatever gut feeling the reader already has (or should have!) about the subject.

Its designed to be familiar and flattering to its boomer readers, reminding them that they are indeed the centre of the universe and the only sane ones in a world gone mad, and they are totally right and justified to feel/think the way they do.

Yeah, Matt's been with the Telegraph for loving ever and provides one of the paper's last links with its past (before it degenerated into a wannabe Breitbart). For many of the Telegraph's remaining readership, the Matt cartoons are probably the high point of the paper and if he was sacked, they'd be mega-pissed and would cancel their subscriptions.

I STILL don't get why he needs to be paid quite that much, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Hey folks, the Podcasting with Praxis crew is getting together tomorrow evening for an election strategy meeting. We're going to be working out exactly how best to tackle the next 6 weeks so if you've been dragging your feet on getting involved this is a great way to jump in. Just get on the Discord and join the party! And I'm going to put out a special plea here to the lady and enby goons in the thread, please please save me from being the only non-dude in the group :ohdear:

I was dumb and forgot to say the time for this! It's tonight at 7:30pm, come join the pod :D

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In many sports, compensation is a lottery - the best player in the world makes mad bank. The tenth best player might need a day job to pay the bills. The difference between their quantifiable performance might be miniscule.

Given the time commitment necessary to compete in these sports, and the impossibility of knowing upfront that one is in fact going to be the mad-bank star, the lottery must pay out exceptionally well to justify the investment. This is what drives up top-end incomes - one is seeing a lottery pay out. But if one takes averages amongst professional players (take your pick in setting some plausible lower limit for determining a "serious" player), average expected compensation is much less. It is possible for most players to earn nothing, even after sinking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on full-time training, coaches, equipment, etc. - never mind the cost of giving up a stabler career.

There isn't really a good way around this, since as Ms. A observed much of the top-end earnings is from demand for the superstar's performance. Due to the global nature of sport, national attempts to enforce compensation to lower-tier players can be evaded by simply the top-tier players competing on an individual basis elsewhere.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

ronya posted:

In many sports, compensation is a lottery - the best player in the world makes mad bank. The tenth best player might need a day job to pay the bills. The difference between their quantifiable performance might be miniscule.

Given the time commitment necessary to compete in these sports, and the impossibility of knowing upfront that one is in fact going to be the mad-bank star, the lottery must pay out exceptionally well to justify the investment. This is what drives up top-end incomes - one is seeing a lottery pay out. But if one takes averages amongst professional players (take your pick in setting some plausible lower limit for determining a "serious" player), average expected compensation is much less. It is possible for most players to earn nothing, even after sinking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on full-time training, coaches, equipment, etc. - never mind the cost of giving up a stabler career.

There isn't really a good way around this, since as Ms. A observed much of the top-end earnings is from demand for the superstar's performance. Due to the global nature of sport, national attempts to enforce compensation to lower-tier players can be evaded by simply the top-tier players competing on an individual basis elsewhere.

I have a friend who makes bank as an international youth ping pong coach. The games and winning is almost wholly separated from the much more important business aspect.

Sometimes they will throw a game by putting their lowest ranked player against the other teams highest ranked player. Because winning will put them against a team for a match with poor merchandising and ad value or might bind them to a follow up tournament with poor profits. The real good money is in a handful of high ranked players and highly rated coaches. Because you can get rich parents to throw fortunes worth of advertisement deals at the team if their kid is can be a member of that club you can offer the chance to train against a player ranked in the top 20s etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey slightly OT but I think this is the best place to raise the question. And it's not really about the article either, just this bit that popped out at me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karlmo...g/#24b1c7df2d9e

quote:

This week, publications from The New York Times to The Guardian have placed the phrase “OK Boomer,” and with it the tensions between Boomers and Millennials, under the spotlight. I have been researching Millennials and Generation Z for a few years now. I have noticed a pattern in us Boomers and Generation X: we delight in making fun of what Millennials and Generation Z want when we first hear about it. Think: flexible work hours, working from a coffee shop or another remote location, having a voice in important decisions, reshaping the hierarchy, and more. Our mockery can make for good fun over a drink, yet it seems almost inevitable that a year later we realize that we want the same things as our younger counterparts.

I've always been annoyed by that, because I don't want this. I want steady boring, predictable hours and job security, preferably all the way to my retirement. That's the boomers had and what I want. Am I the odd one among millennials or what? Do you guys want flexible work hours, working whenever from a coffee shop or what have you?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 4, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Ms Adequate posted:

One time I was flying back to the UK from my then-fiance and went through MSP and we were on the phone in the airport and decided it was bad and lovely to be apart when the Visa Waiver hadn't expired yet, so when they offered $800 of flight credit I leaped on it, stayed in a hotel overnight on Delta's dime as well, and spent the next day in Mall of America because the flight I got back to Montana instead of on to England was in the evening.

Well, that's my Minneapolis-St. Paul story.

Aw that is sweet and xenophobic authorities are cunts :kimchi:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Azza Bamboo posted:

On the other hand, that doorway is easily 4 feet wide

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always been annoyed by that, because I don't want this. I want steady boring, predictable hours and job security, preferably all the way to my retirement. That's the boomers had and what I want. Am I the odd one among millennials or what? Do you guys want flexible work hours, working whenever from a coffee shop or what have you?

I mean, I like not having a boss to tell me what to do, but I don't like that it comes at the cost of security and pay.

I think, really, that the article is extrapolating from the way a lot of people are employed (because of the shittty gig economy) to what people want out of employment. Because it's written by some old fart who doesn't understand anything but is determined to write an article expounding their idiot ideas to every else, because they're a journalist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hey slightly OT but I think this is the best place to raise the question. And it's not really about the article either, just this bit that popped out at me.

No, this is mostly just poo poo thrown at us by capitalism rather than a choice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Boomers tell themselves that we want these thing to justify lovely work practices like zero hour contracts

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Flexi time might be quite useful sometimes but there're quite often crashes on my way into work that mean I'm like an hour late or whatever,  and I'm not sure how that works with that.

currently I just sit in traffic enjoying not having to be at work and then go home on time, might be less fun if I was also not getting paid

also why are they mocking millennials for wanting things like "having a voice in important decisions, reshaping the hierarchy,"?

apart from the fact boomers are cunts obv

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ronya posted:

The difference between their quantifiable performance might be miniscule.

In many sports it might be undefinable since luck dominates enough that they don't have enough matches during an evaluation period to winnow out those tiny differences.

In team sports you need to have the right people around you for success. etc etc

One thing I always mention when it comes to sports, remuneration and recognition is that for me the most American of all American things is that the team owners go out to claim the trophies. See this NBA trophy ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESZLEPFIsg or the NFL where the proles actually get to touch the trophy before it is given to the old white guy who enabled it all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdjJid08ls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

They're all the loving same.

Seriously, I can't tell them apart. I think I need new glasses.