Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Turtlicious posted:

There's also a problem with your metabolism slowing as you live a less active lifestyle, like according to my nutritionist my BMR (basal metabolic rate,) isn't accurate if you use the standard formula, it's a lot lower. I have to eat around 700 calories a day to lose weight at 346 lbs. I know some people are going to say this is impossible, and isn't accurate, and is unhealthy. I have an eating disorder, and came to this number with my physician, therapist, and nutritionist. Some people have hosed themselves up for life because they played video games and stayed indoors for the majority of their life. Your body still spits out ghrelin as if it's starving, so you feel hungry constantly and it's hell trying to lose weight.

I'm in a somewhat comparable situation, but knowing that being horrible to obese people is still politically correct I don't talk about it. At the end of the day, the "validity" of any condition, quirk or problem comes down to whether people are sympathetic or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Turtlicious posted:

There's also a problem with your metabolism slowing as you live a less active lifestyle, like according to my nutritionist my BMR (basal metabolic rate,) isn't accurate if you use the standard formula, it's a lot lower. I have to eat around 700 calories a day to lose weight at 346 lbs. I know some people are going to say this is impossible, and isn't accurate, and is unhealthy. I have an eating disorder, and came to this number with my physician, therapist, and nutritionist. Some people have hosed themselves up for life because they played video games and stayed indoors for the majority of their life. Your body still spits out ghrelin as if it's starving, so you feel hungry constantly and it's hell trying to lose weight.

Just eat at McDonald's all day every day, it's healthy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There is a McDonalds a block from my house and the only reason I don't eat there all the time is because their value menu is a joke and only has a couple things on it. 80% of the options are bullshit drinks or other stuff that you wouldn't go to McDonald's for anyway.

The reason for this is because my city (Seattle) has a super high minimum wage so franchise operators can't offer these deals and stay afloat.

If you drive ten minutes south to a neighboring city you can get 2000 calories for $5 no problem.

Are we back on topic yet?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If my nutrition depends on people being exploited, so be it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The reason for this is because my city (Seattle) has a super high minimum wage so franchise operators can't offer these deals and stay afloat.

lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There is a McDonalds a block from my house and the only reason I don't eat there all the time is because their value menu is a joke and only has a couple things on it. 80% of the options are bullshit drinks or other stuff that you wouldn't go to McDonald's for anyway.

Then how does Dick's Drive-In pay more than min wage, offer heathcare and college, and can't grow fast enough? (and is also better food)

e: much more succinct :thanks:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

It's like the floater that won't flush. :xd:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shrecknet posted:

Then how does Dick's Drive-In pay more than min wage, offer heathcare and college, and can't grow fast enough? (and is also better food)

I had to Google this to be sure it was a real place.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I know the reason is bullshit and I thought about putting an asterisk on it but didn't. It's definitely what the operators imply with all their lovely signage about why extra condiments cost 35 cents and refills aren't free.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

BarbarianElephant posted:

I had to Google this to be sure it was a real place.

Dick's is cut from the same mold as In-N-Out Burger but less successful (and less Christian?).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Drop obesity by tracking everything you eat with roughly estimated calories, track for a few weeks, then start cutting back a little at a time until none of your pants fit and you have to buy new jeans but can't because all the malls closed down so now you have to make jeans out of potato sacks using floss for thread

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

If you drive ten minutes south to a neighboring city you can get 2000 calories for $5 no problem.

The state minimum is $12.00 an hour, about to be $13.50 an hour next year. It is very unlikely that the minimum wage is the factor you're looking for.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

blatman posted:

Drop obesity by tracking everything you eat with roughly estimated calories, track for a few weeks, then start cutting back a little at a time until none of your pants fit and you have to buy new jeans but can't because all the malls closed down so now you have to make jeans out of potato sacks using floss for thread

You laugh, but designers like Demobaza could make you look like some sort of post apocalyptic techno-ninja using nothing but burlap and dental floss. Gonna cost you $2500 for those pants though.

Edit: Which illustrates a sort of truth: Everything is either hoping to score some hidden treasure at a TJX or Nordstrom related marquee or astronomically expensive and hand made. There is no middle.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
This thread reminded me of the trailer parks that form outside of Amazon warehouses during holidays. I was concerned about it but talked to a couple living there and they loved it. Apparently it is a whole culture where they pound out crazy hours during the holidays, then use that money to spend the rest of the year traveling the country/national parks in their trailer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Edit: Which illustrates a sort of truth: Everything is either hoping to score some hidden treasure at a TJX or Nordstrom related marquee or astronomically expensive and hand made. There is no middle.
Yeah. A few years ago I was listening to a marketing teacher who was smugly going on about how low price affordable or high price exclusive was obviously the only two ways a brand could go if they wanted to be profitable. Anyone trying to go middle would go out of business.

He also went on to go full "heh :smug:" about how dumb corporations used to be decades ago when they expanded into many different business instead of the vastly superior way of only limiting themselves to one particular thing in one market to focus on being the "best" at that.

I suppose it makes sense if you support the idea that managers need not bother knowing any details how the company works (or give a single poo poo about it) and just run them for short term profits and hop to another higher paying position in another company when it inevitably goes bust from putting all eggs in one basket.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You laugh, but designers like Demobaza could make you look like some sort of post apocalyptic techno-ninja using nothing but burlap and dental floss. Gonna cost you $2500 for those pants though.

Googles Demobaza
Is this for real?!

Also I was going to mention Amazon blocking 3rd party sellers of Nintendo products, but apparently that was an “error.”

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/20943772/amazon-marketplace-nintendo-deal-used-retro-games-consoles-counterfeit

The level of counterfeits and fraud on Amazon now is insane. Just just product boxes filled with rocks. I’m actually fine with “reproduction cartridges” as long as the buyer knows that’s what they are getting. The “retro gaming market” does have a lot to unpack, though. You have collectors who just buy old games at exorbitant prices to invest in but never play, and then you have people who do want to play old games, but on original hardware. I used to be one of the later. I don’t know how to feel about it. On one hand I think it’s fun. On the other it feels a little superstitious to want to possess the physical object.

Also Amazon, eBay, and the rest of the web basically killed my local retro gaming and used book stores. You used to be able to buy great used media at reasonable prices at those stores, garage sales, and flea markets. Now it’s impossible. Everyone can look up what their old stuff is worth instantly and sell it online. Anything good that does make it to the stores is placed in the back to sell online. My local stores are filled with the bottom of the barrel unsellable stuff (old sports games and grocery store paperback romance novels).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pulcinella posted:

Also Amazon, eBay, and the rest of the web basically killed my local retro gaming and used book stores. You used to be able to buy great used media at reasonable prices at those stores, garage sales, and flea markets. Now it’s impossible. Everyone can look up what their old stuff is worth instantly and sell it online. Anything good that does make it to the stores is placed in the back to sell online. My local stores are filled with the bottom of the barrel unsellable stuff (old sports games and grocery store paperback romance novels).

Everyone I've talked to that's run a game store has to run it with this same mindset, the store is a storage space for your online business that people can walk into and buy stuff directly from too.

Clothing is another situation where there's tons of counterfeit/fake stuff on Amazon. Like often if you look a costume as an example you'll see a variety of different entries that all use the exact same picture and are all worded as if they're that particular item, but is not at all representative of the actual product's materials/quality/etc. and you're actually looking at multiple completely different things. And due to how they list stuff now it will often still say it's a purchase "from Amazon" itself even if it's a third party.

You can catch on very quickly to what's bullshit by looking at reviews and the Q&A section but they basically do everything possible to allow for bullshit to pass.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Kinda hard to hold it against a game store. Used games aren't time-critical items, people are willing to wait a few days, and if you're only exposing yourself to you local customer base a whole lot of inventory is going to sit unsold.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like I've said with things like games, toys, books and mass merchandise in general; it's the retail segment that's most vulnerable to online because they're generally pretty much the same regardless of where you buy it from. (Probably telling that Amazon started with books) Clothes are a different story for a few reasons, in part because it seems like there's a much more developed bootleg sector which online retailers have no interest in curbing. And the industry just seems to be a complete mess in general.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a coworker who is really into retro gaming and he doesn't really like talking to me about it because I play emulators and he "only [plays] on original hardware."

It's weird but whatever. He's in his twenties and doesn't have anything else going on. I used to be the same way but about lossless audio instead. I imagine he will get over it or go broke if he doesn't.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I have a coworker who is really into retro gaming and he doesn't really like talking to me about it because I play emulators and he "only [plays] on original hardware."

It's weird but whatever. He's in his twenties and doesn't have anything else going on. I used to be the same way but about lossless audio instead. I imagine he will get over it or go broke if he doesn't.

Unless he has a CRT tv for duck hunt he needs to quit it!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Torpor posted:

Um, I regret to inform you that slavery is still happening and it is widespread.

There is nothing more aggravating than an idiot who gets into such a frothing rage to post a sick burn that he doesn't even manage to fully read the post he's referencing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Kinda hard to hold it against a game store. Used games aren't time-critical items, people are willing to wait a few days, and if you're only exposing yourself to you local customer base a whole lot of inventory is going to sit unsold.

Oh yeah I don't hold it against them at all, just that's how it is.

It's weird but whatever. He's in his twenties

I used to be like this, and we still have a pretty large collection of video game stuff, but I can't even imagine at our lives now ever reaching a point of like, being able to have a bunch of systems hooked up all at once like I used to or having the $$$/time to actually maintain all of the hardware involved. I'm glad emulation reached the "good enough" point for old stuff we want to play a long time ago.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HootTheOwl posted:

There's no way he doesn't have a CRT if he cares about playing on original hardware, dude's gotta have strong opinions about input lag.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

He definitely owns a PVM and a Framemeister.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
One thing particular to the "retro gaming" sector is it kinda has an inevitable death as a business. You're not going to see continued growth as far as NES/SNES goes because there's a pretty set number of adults who want that copy of Earthbound, and once they have it they have it. You also have the problem where everything after, say, the 360/PS3 generation depends on servers and online content/players that will absolutely go dark someday. A 15 year old Xbox One game isn't going to be as playable as a 15 year old PS2 game, and the later "retro" gens don't have the scarcity factor that the early stuff does.

What I'm saying is, if you own a retro games store you should probably think hard about what your thing is going to be in five years.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah I don't hold it against them at all, just that's how it is.

I used to be like this, and we still have a pretty large collection of video game stuff, but I can't even imagine at our lives now ever reaching a point of like, being able to have a bunch of systems hooked up all at once like I used to or having the $$$/time to actually maintain all of the hardware involved. I'm glad emulation reached the "good enough" point for old stuff we want to play a long time ago.

Yeah I don’t hold it against anyone either. Gotta make a living and selling used items probably actually has positive “morality points” compared to most of capitalism.

Also agree with your second point, especially with regards to time. I don’t have the time to play everything I want to even if I had infinite money for video games.

It’s retail in general, but I do feel bad for used bookstore employees. The selling counter at my local store always has irate sellers personally offended they aren’t getting $10/book for their trade paperback stack of Dan Brown books.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

It’s retail in general, but I do feel bad for used bookstore employees. The selling counter at my local store always has irate sellers personally offended they aren’t getting $10/book for their trade paperback stack of Dan Brown books.

Haha yeah I feel this. I think people don't realize the mindset that like, when you're getting rid of a bunch of books it's for making space and not necessarily making money.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Neo Rasa posted:

Everyone I've talked to that's run a game store has to run it with this same mindset, the store is a storage space for your online business that people can walk into and buy stuff directly from too.

Yeah, the local indie game shop next door to my store does this. It is either that or go out of business, and they are doing well.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You laugh, but designers like Demobaza

Holy poo poo if I had money when I was 20 I would have been all over this, it's like if the guy from Assassin's Creed wanted to look even more suspicious

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

HootTheOwl posted:

I do have a (relatively large) CRT, but no NES, and I've run into the problem that I cannot find many potential stands for it. Those things are not only deep, but very, very heavy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

I do have a (relatively large) CRT, but no NES, and I've run into the problem that I cannot find many potential stands for it. Those things are not only deep, but very, very heavy.

Go to a thrift store, get someone's old home entertainment stand. That's what they were built for after all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I know you can't with HDTVs but can you play on the early flatscreens that were projectors with light bulbs and mirrors inside

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

HootTheOwl posted:

I know you can't with HDTVs but can you play on the early flatscreens that were projectors with light bulbs and mirrors inside

I have a relatively small LCD tv that I use for modern (Read: HD) systems and it has a component/composite input, but I find that pre-HD systems with perhaps the exception of the Wii just look better on CRT, which is why I hold onto that colossus. Also, it has a VCR and DVD player, and I still have a few of the former and a few more of the latter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Interestingly from a food industry perspective (and relevant to retail collapse) the issue may very well be franchise fees. McD's is notorious for having viciously high franchise costs, to the tune of $45k a year in the US on top of requiring owners to source through their suppliers for everything.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

y'all know you can just point the zapper at a white wall and it will always hit, right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

y'all know you can just point the zapper at a white wall and it will always hit, right?

Yeah you can also just write some numbers on a sheet of paper and show it to your friends as your High Score, maybe write a big "I Win" on there for good measure, everyone will be so impressed

"This video game is so easy, it's absolutely trivial" I say while playing with God Mode and Infinite Ammo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

you can control the ducks with the second controller

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Solenna posted:

What's funny is how hard they're pushing Black Friday in Canada now too.

Same except I live in EE. And our second biggest online retailer's branding is "make black friday great again", on a red cap. :facepalm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Smiling Jack posted:

you can control the ducks with the second controller
loving blew my mind when I discovered this by accident

Also you can do some Weird poo poo in MegaMan 3 using the second controller