Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thinking my second run is going to be a drama/savoir faire dude just the biggest superstar

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got to Harry performing karaoke and almost teared up.

Some bad poo poo went down with some people I knew at the beginning of the summer and I tried to deal with it by getting drunk and singing Cry for Judas at a gay bar's trans night. Just that moment when you feel the need to get on a stage and tell everyone what your dealing with through the perfect song, even if you suck at it...man...I've been there Harry :smith:

By the end of the year I am expecting 20 different covers of it on YouTube.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

Whatever gang tag you make sign me the hell up

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kimball Wizards

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Cunoettes

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kuno's Pigheads.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

An animated gif that's mostly the protagonist's face wearing *The Expression* and "SadFM" next to it, occasionally quickly interrupted by Kim's face and "SpeedFreaksFM"

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

There are like 3 things in this game that should be improved.

1. Explain you can take medicine not to die in a cut scene
2. Fix everything gated behind the shivers check
3. Let us play as Cuno.

I lucked into figuring 1 out when I was potentially trapped after meeting the union boss guy. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to return without talking to him (I only got to him when I did in the first place due to a lucky roll when jumping to get the cloak), and I don't think you can talk to him without sitting in the bad chair (at least without passing stat checks, forget). The chair was killing me, so I clicked my health (which I already knew used a healing item) as I was dying and survived.

Otherwise, the only thing that I find remotely iffy about the game's design is the whole "switching clothes on the fly for stat boosts" thing. That's the only thing that feels a little clunky and weird, since otherwise this game is ludicrously good.

This game has the distinction of being the only game I've played other than the visual novel Umineko no Naku Koro Ni that has writing/plot that is good beyond just being good "for a game" (and the VN isn't even really a game, though you could kinda expand this to "nerd media" in general) That includes Planescape Torment, which was good but also, in my opinion, just Good For A Game.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Just purchased, should I read the thread at all or just dive in?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Twigand Berries posted:

1.) Don't savescum.
2.) That said, make backup saves time to time. Game is still a bit buggy.
3.) You can use medicine in scenes when you're taking damage - you'll see what I mean - the game doesn't really say this very well.

Beyond that, have fun!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

Dive in.

My advice is to get lots of clothes (for fashion and because they boost skills), have fun, and embrace failure because sometimes failure opens new doors.

Don't savescum, but do quicksave/hard save relatively often, if only because it can be fairly easy to game over on the first day (or run into bugs later on) and the game doesn't auto-save often.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Twigand Berries posted:

dive in with a few notes

-specialization is more interesting than generalist builds
-hold tab to highlight things you can interact with
-make manual saves, there are a few obscure bugs and soft locks
-you can use healing items even when you're in the dying state to save your life

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Thanks for tips!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

It’s not reactionary it’s SADFM

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Only other thing I would add is to not worry about a time limit, especially on your first playthrough. There are a couple (maybe just one?) Things that are locked out after a certain day, but everything else is locked based on plot progression (and those points of no return are very clearly pointed out). You should have plenty of time to do everything you want to do so don't worry about needing to 'optimize' your schedule to avoid missing anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, time passing is more about new things becoming available than things being locked off. Worst case scenario you're too late to do a thing on a given day because an NPC went to bed and you can do it the next day.

I can only think of one thing that is definitively closed off after a specific day (talking to Rene) but it's pretty unimportant.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

actually, do savescum if you feel like it. failure is often funnier than success in this game, and often leads to cool alternate paths, but if you prefer a competent protagonist or don't plan on replaying it a bunch and want to get as much as you can your first go around that's completely fine too.

"inland empire" and "shivers" are the most weird, paranormal detective skills, pump them if you want that kind of thing.

volition is your moral points, endurance your health points. I'd avoid having either of them at one, although it is loving hilarious to die all the time from someone being mean to you or turning on the lights with an apocalyptic hangover

it's usually best practices to hold onto a skill point at all times, sometimes a check will pop up that you'll want higher or want to retry (leveling up a skill let's you re-try white skill checks)

you don't have to, and probably shouldn't, exhaust every dialog option. if you don't think it'd make sense or be in character for your protagonist to say, don't say it. the game is actually pretty good about conveying this on it's own, but i figure it's worth mentioning

you can get into a weird locked state if you don't pay for your hotel room on the second night. it's dumb. this generally falls under the "save constantly" heading but it might be worth keeping in mind. this is also one of the few (two?) times in the game that time passing matters, it can only happen on the second night for various reasons. otherwise basically feel free to ignore the clock, there's no time limit

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Palpek posted:

I'm thinking of making a gang tag for this game. Any ideas?

Phasmid Phanatics

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the funniest part I've encountered yet in this game was when I was talking to the union boss and I hadn't yet noticed I was missing my gun, so him mentioning it was the first time my character heard of it. Because my guess failed some check (I think composure maybe?) he just went completely silent and started struggling not to cry. Union boss guy started to worry I was having a medical emergency. Then when he obviously is trying to get me to do some corrupt in exchange for my gun, I'm thinking "I don't want to disappoint Kim" and seemingly in direct response to this I passed some check that noticed that Kim was giving me some look implying he wouldn't fault me for it. So I changed my mind and was like "okay yeah I guess I'll do it" after initially refusing. I then realized that the person I was going to be spooking was probably a scab anyways so w/e.

I feel like this game is constantly responding to my actual reactions as the player. My guy reacts in the same way I would and there's almost always a choice that corresponds to what I'd want to do.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm surprised how little Cops of the Apocalypse and Remote Viewers there are. I was thinking it would be a more common copotype

proud Sorry Hobocop of the Apocalypse checking in! it's a fun one to have

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

Kuno's Pigheads.

THA poo poo IS A CUNO MIX TAPE

Addendum to manual saves: you can make them rediculous long. I type in some vague plot thread for myself to follow.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Epic High Five posted:

proud Sorry Hobocop of the Apocalypse checking in! it's a fun one to have

Paranormal Addict Hobocop of the Apocalypse with high Shivers and Inland Empire was my first playthrough and probably still the best one I had. Somehow the ridiculous goofiness of it pays off since all the bizarre complexes and supernatural theories you have are actually accurate premonitions in some very obtuse way, it makes the game seem even more layered as you peel back what your strange ideas actually represent in your psyche and memories. Even though it seems like the comedic playthrough it still comes off very tragic and appropriate, there's just another layer of pathos in him being visibly insane. Probably because high Fys and Psy lend themselves to skills that reveal the most emotionally centric interactions. Empathy, Half-Light, Espirit, etc.

Hell, I thought straight laced detective actually made him less emotional and likable and the plot less layered.

Most games leave these goofy playthroughs as pure joke options, like having an idiot character in the Fallouts or a psychopath murdering everyone in Outer Worlds just limiting your options but here its given the proper care and respect, to the point that I think the unhinged playthroughs are that much more dramatically potent.

The runner up is High Phys shithead alcoholic Authoritarian Cop who takes his misery out on everyone else and hates women and minorities because he's a pathetic bitter shell of a man.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 4, 2019

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Hard Rock Rapture: Disco's Dead: Kimball and Cuno's Wild Ride

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually straight up Hobocop is a strong gang tag name too

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Beasteh posted:

it remains consistently good and i love it

This is the games greatest achievement, I was fully ready for it to stop being so well written and turn into a garbled mess halfway through like with so many low profile RPG releases, but it just doesn't. Good writing is difficult but writing this good over the course of a 30 hour game is just loving crazy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Palpek posted:

I'm thinking of making a gang tag for this game. Any ideas?

*HAM SANDWICH RACE*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dreylad posted:

*HAM SANDWICH RACE*

:captainpop:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dreylad posted:

*HAM SANDWICH RACE*

Lol this one is solid

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So from reading about the skills in this game, I'm wondering if the reason my character has been generally bonding with and having positive relations with other characters is due to me being really high empathy (started with 5 in PSY and Empathy as the selected stat). It seems like most conversations I have with random people end up with my guy connecting with them on some level, even if they initially dislike me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

So from reading about the skills in this game, I'm wondering if the reason my character has been generally bonding with and having positive relations with other characters is due to me being really high empathy (started with 5 in PSY and Empathy as the selected stat). It seems like most conversations I have with random people end up with my guy connecting with them on some level, even if they initially dislike me.

I have one psyche and it feels like every conversation starts with them disliking me and ends with them hating me even if I sometimes get info in the process.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zerilan posted:

I have one psyche and it feels like every conversation starts with them disliking me and ends with them hating me even if I sometimes get info in the process.

1 PSY 5 FYS is great because you get to be an absolutely monumental douchebag to people

put a couple of points into Authority and Volition and make sure Empathy is below 0 to complete the experience where you start every conversation with macho posturing or knee-jerk aggression, smoothly transition into threatening or hitting on them, then round it off with "I am the law"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda wanna do the Archer run (high FYS and MOT, probably Physical Instrument as Signature, just generally take the womanizing and rear end in a top hat dialogue choices) eventually.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:haw:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Does anyone know what any of the "special" pieces of clothing do? The trousers that give "+ 1 to Kingdom of Conscience", the shoes that give "+ 1 to indirect means of taxation" and the hat that gives " + 1 to Mazovian economics"? Do they just "unlock" certain thoughts? If I'm already the Big Communism Buolder is there any point in wearing the hat?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I lucked into figuring 1 out when I was potentially trapped after meeting the union boss guy. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to return without talking to him

I've heard that if you find ways to pass the time until he leaves at around 21:00, you can steal his badge and exit the area that way. Haven't tried it myself though so don't know if it actually works.

As a side note, if you liked Umineko, check out House in Fata Morgana if you haven't yet - it's a VN comprised of several short stories with an overarching plot of a mystery of an ostensibly cursed house, and one of the few games that I felt managed to blur the "written well enough for a game" vs "well written, period" line. It's consistently strong throughout and sticks the landing. It's also very humane and psychological in how it approaches its characters, and is unafraid to tackle some themes you rarely see in games, not unlike Disco.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Paranormal Addict Hobocop of the Apocalypse with high Shivers and Inland Empire was my first playthrough and probably still the best one I had. Somehow the ridiculous goofiness of it pays off since all the bizarre complexes and supernatural theories you have are actually accurate premonitions in some very obtuse way

This is so true. I love that even seemingly random offhand theories you throw at Kim or get via Inland Empire at the very start of the game get vindicated by the end. Sequence killer? Check. Killed by communism? Check. Mysterious case? Check. Sordid sex mystery? Sorta, in a way. It's such a neat way of hiding the answers in plain sight.

Xarbala posted:

Actually straight up Hobocop is a strong gang tag name too

gently caress EVERYTHING. HOBOCOP.

Though HAM SANDWICH RACE is solid too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Calico Heart posted:

Does anyone know what any of the "special" pieces of clothing do? The trousers that give "+ 1 to Kingdom of Conscience", the shoes that give "+ 1 to indirect means of taxation" and the hat that gives " + 1 to Mazovian economics"? Do they just "unlock" certain thoughts? If I'm already the Big Communism Buolder is there any point in wearing the hat?

They seem to immediately let you get the associated thought when you equip them. The event for it will trigger when you exit the menu.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hobocop is the only answer for gang tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there are too many good ones for there to be a wrong choice. im partial to anti-object task force