Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I'd love to get my rear end blown out, but I can't imagine there being many new pokemon left. Like, there's probably one to five that have been missed, perhaps a couple new ones that also turn out to be post-game only, and of course mythicals. If that all comes together and it's 100 pokemon, I'll be beyond impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope the fossil guy this time is insane, like you talk to him and you can't ever let go of thought that maybe this dude should be in jail.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

qnqnx posted:

There is no point in not letting the player choose

I was going to say that you can just put any pokemon you don't want to level in your box, and since particular pokemon players associate tedium with challenge that would presumably be right up their alley, but now I'm hearing that you can just box things anywhere oh no

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's also equally little reason to change it from the way it was, something that was on by default that you could shut off whenever you wanted.

"slowly but surely cut off the vestigial remains of tedium wrought through these games" seems like a pretty valid reason to me

this discussion always basically looks to me like a bunch of people insisting "I want this thing to be bad" and the only reasonable response I can think of is "who cares"

RatHat posted:

Except EVs are tied to experience gain so it makes EV training a lot more annoying.

big idea: what if they just made it, like, not work that way

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In the marketing plan in my head, we would've shown the fossils last month, but only half of them. There's two combinations that looked halfway passable, so you reveal them and just say that in Galar, fossil stuff is weird. People then assume they look super hosed for some reason, but that's it. Then game comes out and big pop when the mix and match gimmick gets revealed.

I do gotta commend the team for keeping all the really cool type combinations under wraps. They just really should've shown a few more of the monotypes and maybe 1 of the cooler pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleck posted:

I was going to say that you can just put any pokemon you don't want to level in your box, and since particular pokemon players associate tedium with challenge that would presumably be right up their alley, but now I'm hearing that you can just box things anywhere oh no

"slowly but surely cut off the vestigial remains of tedium wrought through these games" seems like a pretty valid reason to me

this discussion always basically looks to me like a bunch of people insisting "I want this thing to be bad" and the only reasonable response I can think of is "who cares"

Yeah if they've completely changed their systems so it doesnt then the problem wont exist but that's neither a good point nor something we can really confirm or deny at this point.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah if they've completely changed their systems so it doesnt then the problem wont exist but that's neither a good point nor something we can really confirm or deny at this point.

I mean

we may not have specifics yet but clearly that change wasn't made atomistically

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bleck posted:

Being able to choose not to get overleveled is.. bad?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleck posted:

I mean

The last time they talked about something like this we got loving bottle caps and ability capsules. This is still game freak we're talking about.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

the campaign's level of difficulty that people vaguely attribute largely to "being overleveled" is not necessarily a numerical problem or even really a problem - people will generally tend to use a full team of pokemon against the npc trainers, 90% of which are gonna have two magikarps or whatever, and almost everything the trainers use not only have poor movesets but the AI generally doesn't even make an effort to press whatever advantages they may have

I say this isn't really a problem because pokemon is literally a children's game, like there's always some kinda super hard post-game for peeps who like battling and grind but if you're really approaching a new pokemon game as an adult that probably has twenty years of experience with how the status effects work and what the type advantages are and general strategy and etc. and are still expecting these games to Challenge you, maybe the problem is not with their design decisions and more with your inability to reasonably temper your expectations

The last time they talked about something like this we got loving bottle caps and ability capsules. This is still game freak we're talking about.

maybe these particular examples would not have been what they were if a sizable and voluminous chunk of the competitively-oriented fanbase was not head over heels in love with tedium

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah strictly going off of the developer comments about not liking the feeling of 'retiring' pokemon you've used in the main game i'm assuming it's just some way to reset EVs

meanwhile the article writer is going with that misleading as hell headline and going 'oh gosh maybe golurk will be competitively viable now', completely misunderstanding what's even being said

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes. I find your way of playing the game tedious, which means it is the wrong way to play. The right way to play is the way that I find fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This is shaping up to be a really exceptionally good generation. So many exciting new pokemon!

Galaran Corsola is super depressing, and I'm kind of impressed that they made a pokemon with that kind of grim real world resonance.

Bleck posted:

I like to see my pokemon friends, and have fun with them in battles. If I need to have them battle to level up, I have a good excuse to see them, even when I'm doing the boring grindy fights against random trainers. When I'm on a new route that doesn't have an obvious elemental theme, I can just put my lowest level pokemon first and we'll do our best clearing it. By the end of the route, it'll be nice and strong, and next time it'll be another one of my friends' turn to help clear stuff out.

The exp share gives my pokemon exp without me ever seeing them. They can just sit in my pocket and passively level up. Pokemon with fast growth rates become strangers to me who never help with the daily chores, but only pop up for the big dramatic battles.

It's kinda sad. I wish the exp share wouldn't keep me from my friends like that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

I mean

Please explain how a gameplay feature being mandatory is better than a gameplay feature being optional and on by default.

Because you're really dancing around the point I care about and the point I'm intending to argue with all these "heh, buncha nerds making the game harder on themselves" sidesteps when the entire reason I'm taking issue with it is they changed something that was fine and made it strictly worse for no apparent gain.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Guys I just made a connection. You know those mysterious pokemon at the docks ? I think they were statues of electox, their silhouettes match perfectly. If somebody pointed this out before me just let me know.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please explain how a gameplay feature being mandatory is better than a gameplay feature being optional and on by default.

Eiba posted:

The exp share gives my pokemon exp without me ever seeing them. They can just sit in my pocket and passively level up.

Bleck posted:

you can just put any pokemon you don't want to level in your box

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

maybe these particular examples would not have been what they were if a sizable and voluminous chunk of the competitively-oriented fanbase was not head over heels in love with tedium

Is there anything else you want to project onto these hypothetical Pokeymen while you're going off?

E:

You're still ignoring it!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

:gonk:
You want me to box my friends?

You monster!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there anything else you want to project onto these hypothetical Pokeymen while you're going off?

why does the main complaint seem to be "this will make EV training more difficult" instead of "why does EV training still exist"

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Guys I just made a connection. You know those mysterious pokemon at the docks ? I think they were statues of electox, their silhouettes match perfectly. If somebody pointed this out before me just let me know.

I've seen someone point this out on Twitter.

One on the right doesn't quite match. Possible evolution?

Bleck posted:

why does the main complaint seem to be "this will make EV training more difficult" instead of "why does EV training still exist"

Because we all know GameFreak won't remove EVs?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're still ignoring it!

listen: if you can access your box from anywhere, and exp share only affects pokemon in your party, there is no functional difference between that and having exp share being a toggle. my response to "why did they make it worse" is "they didn't actually change anything"

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
keep expecting more leaks but remembered they exposed the leaker and now he's scared to post anymore lmao

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bleck posted:

listen: if you can access your box from anywhere, and exp share only affects pokemon in your party, there is no functional difference between that and having exp share being a toggle. my response to "why did they make it worse" is "they didn't actually change anything"

hmm, sounds like they should've just left the toggle in instead of making people do a bunch of box shenanigans to achieve a similar effect

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Procrastine posted:

I've seen someone point this out on Twitter.

One on the right doesn't quite match. Possible evolution?

Because we all know GameFreak won't remove EVs?

Something that small seems like a gender difference

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bleck posted:

What if you want to take the same pokemon with you from start to finish? Like, I dunno, your starter?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

keep expecting more leaks but remembered they exposed the leaker and now he's scared to post anymore lmao

Actions have consequences? :psyduck:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Bleck posted:

One of these requires micromanaging your party/boxes and the other is a toggle you switch once at the start of the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bleck posted:

the campaign's level of difficulty that people vaguely attribute largely to "being overleveled" is not necessarily a numerical problem or even really a problem - people will generally tend to use a full team of pokemon against the npc trainers, 90% of which are gonna have two magikarps or whatever, and almost everything the trainers use not only have poor movesets but the AI generally doesn't even make an effort to press whatever advantages they may have

I say this isn't really a problem because pokemon is literally a children's game, like there's always some kinda super hard post-game for peeps who like battling and grind but if you're really approaching a new pokemon game as an adult that probably has twenty years of experience with how the status effects work and what the type advantages are and general strategy and etc. and are still expecting these games to Challenge you, maybe the problem is not with their design decisions and more with your inability to reasonably temper your expectations

Pokemon games are indeed easy, so I would prefer it if they didn't make an option that makes them even easier no longer optional.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bleck posted:

I mean, there's an obvious functional difference. If you've boxed a pokemon you can't use it in battle. If you have an overleveled pokemon you had to box, and it's your only thing strong against ghost types, and then suddenly you're faced with an unusually difficult ghost pokemon on a random grinding route, you will be unable to use it. Because you boxed it to get around an arbitrary game mechanic.

If you want to say it's not as bad as people are making it out to be, sure. You can make a point that a lot of complaints are overblown. But if you want to say it's literally has no downsides, you're wrong. You're overstating your case.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

hmm, sounds like they should've just left the toggle in instead of making people do a bunch of box shenanigans to achieve a similar effect

I'm fairly confident that all the folks that preferred leveling up a group of pokemon in whatever particular way probably shuffled pokemon in and out of boxes anyway

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

All the rumors I've heard about the box is that box being accessible from anywhere is only in the wild area at most, if at all. And your solution seems to be more tedium when the plans is to supposedly do away with the tedium?
We're speaking of GameFreak anyway, masters of going one step forward, two steps backwards.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bleck posted:

I'm fairly confident that all the folks that preferred leveling up a group of pokemon in whatever particular way probably shuffled pokemon in and out of boxes anyway

I didn't, but keep making assumptions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bleck posted:

you are arguing for pointless micromanaging of your team throughout the game rather than, once, altering a setting. do you realize how stupid this position is

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So it's there a consensus on which version to get yet? I haven't played a Pokemon game since I was a kid but now that I own a switch I think I'm going to dive back in.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Eiba posted:

If you've boxed a pokemon you can't use it in battle. If you have an overleveled pokemon you had to box, and it's your only thing strong against ghost types, and then suddenly you're faced with an unusually difficult ghost pokemon on a random grinding route, you will be unable to use it. Because you boxed it to get around an arbitrary game mechanic.

goodness, don't want the game to be too challenging

qnqnx posted:

And your solution seems to be more tedium when the plans is to supposedly do away with the tedium?

it's a tedious solution for people who are disappointed that the game is not as tedious

indigi posted:

you are arguing for pointless micromanaging of your team

I'm not arguing for it, I'm telling people that they can still do it, in the context of them complaining that they can no longer do it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I am confident that this is the case, of course, because it would be damaging to my argument if it was not.

EDIT:

Bleck posted:

goodness, don't want the game to be too challenging

it's a tedious solution for people who are disappointed that the game is not as tedious

You might want to sit down for this one: some people find what you find tedious to be fun. Your opinions are not objective.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bleck posted:

actually i preferred leveling up my pokemon in the way that required the least micromanaging, which was to leave exp share off so i wouldn't get overleveled and could manage what was gaining levels at any particular time just by choosing who i fight with

but now whoops, gamefreak decided they know better than me

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

Are you implying that there is a single 'correct' way to play, and that is shuffling pokemon constantly?
That does not seem to be much in the spirit of making bonds with your team.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Bleck posted:

Lmao at this dude complaining about tedium and then going to bat for a much more tedious option

Edit: people have beaten me to this point and done it more eloquently, but you can’t dunk on this dude enough

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 4, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KongGeorgeVII posted:

So it's there a consensus on which version to get yet? I haven't played a Pokemon game since I was a kid but now that I own a switch I think I'm going to dive back in.

I think a lot of people are leaning to Shield for a couple of choice cool Pokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Legit thinking about doing a nuzlocke run for my first playthrough :3:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think a lot of people are leaning to Shield for a couple of choice cool Pokes

It would be nice to see the version exclusives.