Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pendragon sounds awesome, I'm going to file it away in the "Games I desperately want to try but will never be able to convince anyone else to run" file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

PinheadSlim posted:

Pendragon sounds awesome, I'm going to file it away in the "Games I desperately want to try but will never be able to convince anyone else to run" file

The Great Pendragon Campaign has sat on my shelf for like 15 years for exactly this reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Recently, while I exercise, I keep letting my mind wander to weird ideas. Today, it was the idea of a setting for a Transformers Roleplaying Game. Recently, my hyperfixation has been Transformers. Don't know why. I think I stumbled across a Chris McFeely video again.

So, I looked up some hacks. Found a Genesys hack that seemed okay: https://www.reddit.com/r/genesysrpg/comments/98v1y6/genesys_transformers_v1pdf/

As a result of that, while I was working out, my mind wandered to a possible setting to play a game in and, when I got home from the gym, I wrote this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U8NOYW5NF9F9XZW2vbhRsLTKyVSYFpWms6IWTbFlarw/edit?usp=sharing

It's basically a mishmash of all my favorite elements of the Transformers from all its different incarnations over the years. This is just another one of those "I did this thing and now that I'm done I'm not sure why so I'm sharing it here I guess."

So, yeah, if anyone wants to read a Transformers setting guide that mixes together the IDW Comics, G1, Beast Wars, Animated, and the Aligned continuity, I guess this does it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

EverettLO posted:

The Great Pendragon Campaign has sat on my shelf for like 15 years for exactly this reason.

Same

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
How does one hear about RPG Jams while they're ongoing?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone know if hacking 13th Age to use 3d6 instead of d20s is possible? There’s a lot of effects that happen on 16+ or a 1-5 d20 roll but I’m interested in seeing if there’s a way to get the same percentage chances with 3d6

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Does anyone know if hacking 13th Age to use 3d6 instead of d20s is possible? There’s a lot of effects that happen on 16+ or a 1-5 d20 roll but I’m interested in seeing if there’s a way to get the same percentage chances with 3d6

Well for a roughly 25% (closer to 26%) chance the spread is 13-18 high, 3-8 low.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Be advised that there's also a few instances of natural 12+, 14+ etc. rolls and, perhaps more importantly, a ton of effects that trigger off natural odd or even rolls. If you have to add up 3d6 for every roll you're going to lose the immediacy of "look at die, does effect trigger y/n" this otherwise gives you.

Then there's effects like the half-elf's racial power that lets them subtract 1 from a natural roll specifically to trigger such effects. That may become slightly more cheap to use when the next lowest number is actually more probable than the one you rolled. Or say you have a "natural odd" effect in your arsenal; if you roll a 20 on a d20 you can take it to 19, forgoing the crit and triggering the effect instead if it's ultra important, but going from 18 to 17 would let you keep the crit and simply add the effect. An edge case, sure, but where there's one there's more.

I think linear dice probability is pretty well baked in the system as an assumption, and designers tend to hang their own probability gimmicks off it with no clear general rule that you can point to and say "if I use 3d6 instead of 1d20 I have to change this." At some point you're going to get sidelined by a weird monster ability or PC power you missed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Even and odd should still work fine with 3d6 I think? Success and failure will be roughly distributed over odds and evens. That doesn't alleviate those concerns but it's a starting point.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Depending on how much work you want to put in, you also get a bunch more dimensions to your dice rolls to mess around with, like colors and matching or sequential numbers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Visit Kickstarter to support my RPG with dice mechanics that are just straight Cee-lo

not even kidding that could be great

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Guy with a Trips Yokan in his pocket

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That Old Tree posted:

Depending on how much work you want to put in, you also get a bunch more dimensions to your dice rolls to mess around with, like colors and matching or sequential numbers.
Yup. Doubles (including triples) have a 96/216 chance of rolling, odds of at least one six is 91/216. Both very easy to spot on a roll. Straights are actually kind of rare, only 24/216. They're also hard to spot. Odds or evens are real easy to spot though, all odds or one odd is odd, all evens or one even is even. Or just do the math it's not hard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean you can also just have one die coloured differently and trigger odd/even solely off of that.

I'm sure 13th Age with 3d6 also has huge potential for icon relationship roll overlaps, but I can't put my finger on how exactly.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean you can also just have one die coloured differently and trigger odd/even solely off of that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't something like that a big part of the Dragon Age RPG system?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

8one6 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't something like that a big part of the Dragon Age RPG system?

I'm in the middle of reading Blue Rose right now, which uses the same system, and basically yes. Most checks are 3d6, one of which is the stunt die and colored differently. If you roll doubles, you get stunt points equal to what's showing on the stunt die, which you then immediately spend on stunts (some of which are just straight up 'do some more damage', some of which are more narrative like 'you find an item you need for this scene').

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Voidheart Symphony (on Kickstarter now!) uses something similar with helping -- if your helper's die rolls highest then their assistance made all the difference and your bond grows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CaptainRat posted:

I'm in the middle of reading Blue Rose right now, which uses the same system, and basically yes. Most checks are 3d6, one of which is the stunt die and colored differently. If you roll doubles, you get stunt points equal to what's showing on the stunt die, which you then immediately spend on stunts (some of which are just straight up 'do some more damage', some of which are more narrative like 'you find an item you need for this scene').
Well there's the icon roll overlap I was looking for, before you roll you declare one die the Icon Die and that does extra stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CaptainRat posted:

I need to remember to read the new version of Blue Rose some day, as I remember really liking the old True20 version*

*really wish Green Ronin would make it so you could get the True20 books as POD on DriveThru, cause I'd love to get all of that system in print for a reasonable price

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

drrockso20 posted:

I need to remember to read the new version of Blue Rose some day, as I remember really liking the old True20 version*

*really wish Green Ronin would make it so you could get the True20 books as POD on DriveThru, cause I'd love to get all of that system in print for a reasonable price
I bet there are services that will do this if you give them a pdf, though I've never used one. Print on demand is popular these days.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I bet there are services that will do this if you give them a pdf, though I've never used one. Print on demand is popular these days.

There's definitely plenty of those, but they'd mostly be on the lower side of quality

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm so tired of FAE. I like FAE and FATE conceptually, as narrative focused story systems- and for the particular thing I play FAE in, which is a big, gigantic group server where a ton of GMS run games with rotating players in a collaborative setting, it's the best option I have avaliable, esp since it's superhero stuff.

BUT

it's the slowest goddamn time at all

it takes so much time to resolve everything

I got used to this then I ran scum and villainy and it was incredibly snappy and fast paced and god, I'm salivating for anything, anything that isn't molasses.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The day where this forum will forsake PBTA will one day come and I shall smugly wait for it on the sidelines

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Plutonis posted:

The day where this forum will forsake PBTA will one day come and I shall smugly wait for it on the sidelines

If the alternative is FATE, then you can pry 2d6+stat out of my cold, dead hands.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Neopie posted:

I got used to this then I ran scum and villainy and it was incredibly snappy and fast paced and god, I'm salivating for anything, anything that isn't molasses.
No question FATE can be slow what with all the negotiation over tagging aspects and crap, but my problem with S&V (and its parent BitD) was precisely that it took too long to resolve stuff. Every roll was "What's my starting position? What effect can I get for <action>? Can I trade position for effect? What's my devil's bargain? Hmmm, maybe I should push myself?" I felt like it interrupted the narrative flow much more than I liked.

If I want to keep the story popping, gimme 2D6+stat any day of the week.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Are there any simple android or mobile-friendly web-based game tables? I want something where I can move goblin tokens around on a mat on my laptop and a player leaned back in bed looking at their phablet can see the battle mat and roll to stab the goblin. Free is good, but I'm fine paying for something too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Neopie posted:

I'm so tired of FAE. I like FAE and FATE conceptually, as narrative focused story systems- and for the particular thing I play FAE in, which is a big, gigantic group server where a ton of GMS run games with rotating players in a collaborative setting, it's the best option I have avaliable, esp since it's superhero stuff.

BUT

it's the slowest goddamn time at all

it takes so much time to resolve everything

Can you elaborate on that a little? I run Fate more in person than online, and "slow" is not how I'd really characterize it, but I'd like to know what to watch out for if I run an online game.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Oh hey the Alien RPG is out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bullbar posted:

I only see it as a preorder at the various places?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Glazius posted:

Can you elaborate on that a little? I run Fate more in person than online, and "slow" is not how I'd really characterize it, but I'd like to know what to watch out for if I run an online game.

I assume it's because every roll becomes:

1. What the player wants to do
2. A negotiation with GM over which approach they use, player always wants highest approach, GM thinks something else better matches actions.
3. Player modifies action slightly to be more in line with approach
4. GM agrees
5. Player rolls
6. Player wants to invoke a boost or free aspect.
7. Player and GM negotiate over how the action uses the boost / free aspect
8. Player modifies action to use them better.
9. Player wants to invoke 1-3 other aspects to add more to the roll
10. Player and GM negotiate over each one.

It can be slow if the players and the GM are both a bit tedious and nitpicky. Many parts of a fate action require some GM approval and oversight at different steps of the way. You can't just plan your action while other people are doing their thing and be sure you can just do it when the time comes. You can't just roll and be done with it, after you roll you need to figure out what number you want and what it will cost you to get there. Turn length and whether you can pre-plan with certain information is a common domain of criticism for board games.

In my experience, Fate and FAE are very fast. Then again, I usually run it and when I run it I'm extremely loose with this poo poo and let the players get away with whatever shennanigins their hearts desire.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bullbar posted:

I should know that since I pre-ordered it forever ago because I am Alien trash.

Edit: Yep, had a link to a DTRPG copy sitting in my e-mails from 6am.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 6, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

I should know that since I pre-ordered it forever ago because I am Alien trash.

I'm still just seeing December 10th

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

I'm still just seeing December 10th

Well, I'm downloading it right now. I got a coupon key for DTRPG at 6am. Maybe only people who pre-ordered got it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

Well, I'm downloading it right now. I got a coupon key for DTRPG at 6am. Maybe only people who pre-ordered got it.

Weird their website says December 10th

https://www.alien-rpg.com/

And I'm apparently dumb at search because I don't even see it on DTRPG

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

Weird their website says December 10th

https://www.alien-rpg.com/

And I'm apparently dumb at search because I don't even see it on DTRPG

It might be hidden on DTRPG until release. Perhaps the benefit of a pre-order is we get it a month early?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

It might be hidden on DTRPG until release. Perhaps the benefit of a pre-order is we get it a month early?

What thread will you be posting impressions in? Because we've started doing RPG night at the game parlor and I do love collecting RPG books I won't play

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

What thread will you be posting impressions in? Because we've started doing RPG night at the game parlor and I do love collecting RPG books I won't play

Oh, I'm not sure. First off, I'm trying Obsidan Portal out for the first time so I got to do a recap from my Sunday Night game today before I forget. It's a troupe play Fantasy Flight Star Wars game called "The New Clone Wars Adventures" where everyone has three characters -- one in Edge, one in Age, and one in Force -- and swap between them as needed by the story. Then, I promised my Adeptus Evangelion RPG Discord that I'd do a Let's Read of the recently released (and god awful) book "Evangelion Anima." One of the first things that happens in that book, by the way, is that Shinji gets a "Super Evangelion." This is officially licensed and made by one of the creators of the original show. And I'm working up the guts to do a thread in creative convention about my trans novel since my friend who was giving me encouragement and keeping me going has some health issues and I found that, without her, I can't write. So, I don't know. I could be persuaded to do an impression, but I don't have any intention at the moment.

Unless you just want a quick overview because I can do that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

Oh, I'm not sure. First off, I'm trying Obsidan Portal out for the first time so I got to do a recap from my Sunday Night game today before I forget. It's a troupe play Fantasy Flight Star Wars game called "The New Clone Wars Adventures" where everyone has three characters -- one in Edge, one in Age, and one in Force -- and swap between them as needed by the story. Then, I promised my Adeptus Evangelion RPG Discord that I'd do a Let's Read of the recently released (and god awful) book "Evangelion Anima." One of the first things that happens in that book, by the way, is that Shinji gets a "Super Evangelion." This is officially licensed and made by one of the creators of the original show. And I'm working up the guts to do a thread in creative convention about my trans novel since my friend who was giving me encouragement and keeping me going has some health issues and I found that, without her, I can't write. So, I don't know. I could be persuaded to do an impression, but I don't have any intention at the moment.

Unless you just want a quick overview because I can do that.

More this. I'm not looking for an in-depth analysis of it. But like, does it look fun, how crunchy is it, character gen easy or hard that sort of thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

Probably ! The email I got today said physical books ship in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

More this. I'm not looking for an in-depth analysis of it. But like, does it look fun, how crunchy is it, character gen easy or hard that sort of thing.

I'll give it a skim and get back to you. I get the vibe its written in the "front-to-back" approach. Some quick thoughts:

-Basic resolution is Attribute + Skill d6; success is a 6; 1 success means you succeed; a 1 puts you at risk of panicking
-Judging from sample characters, must checks are done with 3 to 6 dice. From the conveniently included table, that's 42% to 67% chance of success.
-Xenomorphs are loving beasts. They have like 8 in their skills, natural armor, can take multiple turns in a combat based on their speed ranking, has a 1 in 6 chance of surviving death, a 3 in 6 chance of still loving a PC up upon death, and only has a 2 in 6 chance of dying when it hits 0 health. And xenomorphs have a chance of hurting engaged enemies every time they're hurt.
-They borrow from japanese rpgs by having two styles of play: "cinematic style" where you have pregens and only do a single session and "campaign play" which is traditional
-It's traditional in the sense it has a chapter devoted to combat
-However, on closer inspect, "STEALTH MODE" is a subsystem of combat so my complaint is moot because they do spend significant time with a subsystem for hiding. Which it should given it is Alien. And it does look more detailed than the close or ranged combat section. So that's good.
-The vibe I get is that Close/Ranged combat is a failure state from Stealth Mode, when you consider all of the ways they make combat a goddamn slaughter.
-I think this game will work super well online, but is kind of on the honor code. "STEALTH MODE" has the xenomorph move on the conflict map invisibly. Roll20, for example, is great as the xeno can be on the GM layer. But it does introduce the fact that the GM could fudge things. But still, probably best way to do it.
-I like how Stress & Panic is there own thing separate from Damage and builds slowly. Damage is such a "if you get this, you're hosed" thing that it can't be used liberally. But Stress is designed to build slowly when certain events go. You can even use it as power as you can PUSH dice (reroll any dice that isn't a 6) by taking Stress.
-However, it also has a bit of gear/vehicle porn stuff that makes me shrug since that's superfluous to me.

Those are my feeling so far. I am going to go to sleep. It looks okay so far, but I'm indie trash so I got a few issues with some things that are to be expected from big license title.

Oh, also, the layout and art is nice and moody.