Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

New Peteypedia is up.

The most intriguing document is probably the letter from 1955.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the eye a klan thing? Keene’s father was in the kkk with the sheriff’s father?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is the eye a klan thing? Keene’s father was in the kkk with the sheriff’s father?

I don't believe so, but Ozymandias had a few of them on his costume, notably on his gorget and belt.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/acablart/status/1190339832154918917

this is the show yall like? lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I could watch the increasingly terrible deaths of Ichabod Crane all day

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

not enough talk about the big blue dildo

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I don't care about this podcast poo poo go away weirdo

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

romanowski posted:

not enough talk about the big blue dildo

with attachable blue balls

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

romanowski posted:

I don't care about this podcast poo poo go away weirdo

That is literally Lindelof, the showrunner for Watchmen HBO, basically doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqbywIATJs

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Are you Jack Allison?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm literally only watching this for the ost, because it bangs. But the show is very dumb. Can't wait for the ost to be available to purchase though!

E:

quote:

With its equal critiques of liberals and conservatives, Watchmen is shaping up to be the most controversial TV debut of the fall—and one of the most polarizing superhero stories ever told. That’s in keeping with the spirit of the original text, according to Lindelof. “It’s essentially saying we have disdain for people at the center, because they’re not choosing a side, but we also have disdain for people who are in the extremes, because you can’t live in the extremes. And so let’s just take the piss out of everyone and ourselves in the process,” he says.

:rolleyes:

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 4, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'm really glad that the entire episode was Laurie telling Dr. Manhattan a brick joke and then the episode ended with its own brick joke by throwing the SUV from the end of the last episode at Laurie

edit: apparently Angela was born in Vietnam?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 4, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I really don't think Lindelof has actually read Watchmen. Silk Spectre getting done dirty in this, we watch her grow in the comic and get over Dr Manhattan....but now shes just actually still hung up on him because............................................................................???????????

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

apparently Angela was born in Vietnam?

They say this in her introduction scene. Two years before it became a state!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I really don't think Lindelof has actually read Watchmen. Silk Spectre getting done dirty in this, we watch her grow in the comic and get over Dr Manhattan....but now shes just actually still hung up on him because............................................................................???????????

worth it for the big blue dildo reveal

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We got two fake doctor Manhattan dongs in back to back weeks. When do we get the real thing

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Is that for sure the same car that was magnet’d away at the end of episode 2? Wouldn’t we have seen or heard an owlship? Why drop the car a day later in the center of town and not in a lake or something?

Anyway, I liked this treatment of Silk Spectre 30 years later. She is basically Comedian 2.0, and that’s fine!

The FBI briefing guy being dismissive of Rorschach was interesting.

oh, also- I liked the newspaper at the beginning saying John Grisham is retiring from the Supreme Court. what a fun alternate universe.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I can't escape knowing the context that this show creator thinks progressive and regressive governments inevitably end up creating equally undesirable dystopias. I watched the pilot not knowing this and enjoyed it, but now that it's in my mind I just can't unsee it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Longstanding psychological issues as a result of being complicit in the deaths of millions, coupled with a desire to go back to when things were better, even if they actually weren't?

quote:

Not sure on this, but Keene was absolutely in on the bombing and 7th cav in general, yeah?

Not sure if we have all the pieces, but I'm guessing it is some combination of opportunism and/or outright false flag attacks. The chief was likely involved in the white night when the cops were shot (or at least there are hints in that direction) and the klan robe indicates his affinity for the 7th. So they launch an attack on the police in order to give Keene the opportunity to push for masked police, and of course he just so happens to have a willing chief to go along with it. The whole thing raises Keene's stature, Keene has the chief's wife as a campaign aide for some good old fashioned grifting.

The suicide bomber either isn't in on the conspiracy (unlikely) or is there to make a big show of it. Call out Keene specifically, give him an opportunity to be either a hostage for a while, or to have a big drat hero moment. Keene brings Laurie in because he knows the 7th isn't responsible for the murder and he suspects a vigilante that he wants captured before the police crackdown fucks up his plans.

The only thing I'm not really sure on is what the 7th cav motivation is in going along with the plan, but I suspect that will be forthcoming. Best guess is the rank and file don't know they're being used.

How is this drat show so good?

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 4, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Caros posted:

Longstanding psychological issues as a result of being complicit in the deaths of millions, coupled with a desire to go back to when things were better, even if they actually weren't?

Gonna go with a I don't think so chief

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The peteypedia AHS review looks to be laying down support for the theory that HJ was a loyal communist. During the non-aggression pact the party line was to oppose American entry to the war. (Lots didn't, though. The mothman guy was probably in the other faction, a premature anti-fascist.)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mothman wanted to avoid discussing the conflict in one of the like three lines he has.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

wolfs posted:

oh, also- I liked the newspaper at the beginning saying John Grisham is retiring from the Supreme Court. what a fun alternate universe.

In the new frontiersman piece, Grisham is a new justice, having been given the seat formerly occupied by John McLaughlin.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Really wanna see the ominous tick-tock trailer but with a quick cut of Laurie unveiling her giant space junk vibrator

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tin can made man posted:

Really wanna see the ominous tick-tock trailer but with a quick cut of Laurie unveiling her giant space junk vibrator

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
she had to have had that dildo custom made

she had to have said at some point, i want a metallic blue dildo with magnetic balls that I can attach or detach

poor old nite owl's locked up in sing sing, jerking off into a tissue all the while

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eau de MacGowan posted:

she had to have said at some point, i want a metallic blue dildo with magnetic balls that I can attach or detach

poor old nite owl's locked up in sing sing, jerking off into a tissue all the while

You seem to know a fair bit about giant custom dildos.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Hilario Baldness posted:

The Veidt storyline somehow keeps getting funnier.

I got a real Adam West vibe from the episode tonight. "To the typewriter, Crookshanks!" was probably my favorite line.

re: the podcast thing, Lindelof says these things go into the mix, but those act as the starting point to build the rest of the story on. The show is playing with these ideas, reframing, recontextualizing, etc. Expecting to receive your moral marching orders from HBO Entertainment Hour is dumb and you should stop looking at it that way. It's way more interested in being messy than being clean.

I will knock the funeral bombing scene though. Everything after the bomber was shot was really, really dumb.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 4, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Caros posted:

Not sure on this, but Keene was absolutely in on the bombing and 7th cav in general, yeah?

Not sure if we have all the pieces, but I'm guessing it is some combination of opportunism and/or outright false flag attacks. The chief was likely involved in the white night when the cops were shot (or at least there are hints in that direction) and the klan robe indicates his affinity for the 7th. So they launch an attack on the police in order to give Keene the opportunity to push for masked police, and of course he just so happens to have a willing chief to go along with it. The whole thing raises Keene's stature, Keene has the chief's wife as a campaign aide for some good old fashioned grifting.

The suicide bomber either isn't in on the conspiracy (unlikely) or is there to make a big show of it. Call out Keene specifically, give him an opportunity to be either a hostage for a while, or to have a big drat hero moment. Keene brings Laurie in because he knows the 7th isn't responsible for the murder and he suspects a vigilante that he wants captured before the police crackdown fucks up his plans.

The only thing I'm not really sure on is what the 7th cav motivation is in going along with the plan, but I suspect that will be forthcoming. Best guess is the rank and file don't know they're being used.

How is this drat show so good?

I can totally see this. I'm pretty sure the 7th are not fully aware of what they're doing in a broader sense. There's a good chance Judd and Keene were/are pulling the strings without the 7th knowing, they're expendable pawns in whatever they're trying to do. I assume its to grant more power to the police or something.

Also Defense Of Police Act sounds way to real, though in the real world it would probably give blanket permission for police to shoot first in any situation.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I kinda agree with whoever said Doctor Manhattan has Veidt locked up in a very, very nice prison somewhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TOOT BOOT posted:

I kinda agree with whoever said Doctor Manhattan has Veidt locked up in a very, very nice prison somewhere.

I am thinking the whole hell thing is that Veidt is in his own personal hell. He has all the comforts he could ask for, a army of servants to serve him in any way he wants, but he cannot leave, he cannot grow, he cannot advance, which is probably driving him insane.

Also great seeing the comics outfit on screen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Pfft, giant Manhattan dildoes are probably a popular brand in this universe.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mantis42 posted:

Pfft, giant Manhattan dildoes are probably a popular brand in this universe.

Any blue silicon can be marketed as a Manhattan Dildo

But it takes a personal touch to know the exact size and true hue

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The worst part of this series so far is them cutting from Mongoloid so quickly.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
What's the o/u on the leather Adrian makes his "space suit" out of being skin from dead clones? ... nevermind, he says "we're going to need a thicker skin," and kills a buffallo -- it's definitely clone-leather.

brushwad fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 4, 2019

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Somehow, something about that Senator Keene guy reminds me of Mr. Morden from Babylon 5. Something to do with his facial expression. So I'm just going to assume he's bad news until and unless proven otherwise.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Danger posted:

It is by far his most audacious work. It is very expressly about the birth of post-modern liberalism from the subjugation of the working class and translates some of his nutty magical schtick into a pretty plain marxist dialectic. It’s good.

Yeees... but more audacious than Jerusalem? Not entirely sure about that.

(And yes, I read that whole drat thing, too.)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
fuckin showin Lindelof whats up hell yeah what a HACK did he even READ the comic lol

**insert like to tweet by absolute nobody with idiotically hollow argument steeped in deep confirmation bias**

dude ur right...he IS Trump

thanks for the links GOObuster. i honestly dont know how you form such strikingly complex arguments

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 4, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We are all in alignment with the senator and the chief using the 7th cav as a y'all queda to get him elected to the whitehouse? because it seems obvious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This episode was really great, it was nice stepping into a different perspective from the first two. Jean Smarts portrayal of Lori is this beautifully tragic combination of her mother and father and she is fantastic in the role. You can tell shes trying to be better but she has some very very deep psychological wounds shes still dealing with despite her having some personal progress in the comics.

I cant imagine the guilt she must harbor and it shows how much she projects onto people as a defense mechanism.

I loved that after Angela mocked her they had Lori framed in the X-ray specs because Angela saw right through that poo poo. I absolutely love the clever and layered compositions in this show.