Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Just sent an email to the Tory complaints address regarding the anti-Semitic comments from one RT. Hon. Michael Gove MP and called on them to address this before his constituents in Surrey Heath cast their ballots, as they deserve to know the full character of his nature beforehand.

Edit;

Catte tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
surveys do show increased demand for flexible working hours and flexible locations by some, in the concrete sense of people being willing to accept massive cuts to pay to obtain these benefits when considering offers...

quote:

Figure 7 plots the choices for the flexible schedule job for survey respondents not in flexible-schedule jobs. There is very little demand in this group for flexible positions; only half of respondents are willing to take even a 2% pay cut for flexibility. Among individuals currently in positions with flexible scheduling, it is more nuanced. While the mean WTP is still quite low among this group (2.0%), there is a subset of workers that really value flexibility. The top 25% of workers in flexible jobs is willing to give up 16% of their pay for the option to make their own schedule. This is consistent with sorting in the labor market, where workers with the highest WTP for flexible scheduling are in flexible-schedule jobs. This may also be driven by the endowment effect, with workers valuing the ability to make their own schedules because they have it...

https://www.cemfi.es/ftp/pdf/papers/pew/vawa.pdf

esp in terms of collective bargaining, bargaining for flextime at the table does come at the expense of workers who might prefer to accept fixed hours and fixed locations instead, and focus on other forms of compensation. One longstanding tension here is that surveys that don't quantify the compensating differential (the pay cut someone is willing to accept for a benefit) tend to vastly overstate demand for flextime, which leads trade unions to prioritize it and then be slightly baffled when uptake is low

it is the case that flextime might be more realistic at the bargaining table than other forms of compensation - many workplaces genuinely do not necessarily benefit from having 100% attendance at nine am sharp

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/alex4pt/status/1191104292016410624?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if you can call myrddin on it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My hours are largely fixed, though I have a good boss that helps me out when needed, but what I do appreciate is the ability to regularly work from home.

I normally only do it once a week or so, except when on backshift which I always work from home for, but lemme say having the ability to be in the house if you have a tradesman, or even just because you woke up today and can't quite bring yourself to fully face the world, cannot be undersold.

This should not, however, be taken as an indicator by your employer that they need less overall office space, as I'm given to understand the HMRC are doing.
The new spaces have capacity for something like 7 in every 10 staff who have it as their designated primary workplace. (Not counting call center staff)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

mehall posted:

Just sent an email to the Tory complaints address regarding the anti-Semitic comments from one RT. Hon. Michael Gove MP and called on them to address this before his constituents in Surrey Heath cast their ballots, as they deserve to know the full character of his nature beforehand.

Edit;

Catte tax

I am eager for their no-doubt rapid and effective reply!

I am further eager for that kitten to be given pet!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

it's beautiful

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

pretty sure there are non-voters to be turned out with a promise to legalise weed and to go after prince andrew for noncing

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

quote:

“Generally speaking, from our perspective, we have found that private fire crews are not first responders,” said Carroll Wills, communications director for California Professional Firefighters.

Private fire crews travel into evacuation zones in trucks equipped with water tanks and hoses and retardant, looking nearly identical to their government counterparts – though their sole task is to protect specific insured homes.

Torgerson, president of Wildfire Defense Systems, noted that while his teams are capable of fighting fires, “that’s not our mission in this case”.

“Our task with the insurance industry is more so to prepare the homes and secure them, prior to and after the fire, and contribute to the survivability,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/03/not-our-mission-private-fire-crews-protect-the-insured-not-the-public

cool

Looks like an opportunity for a modern-day Crassus like myself :agesilaus:

(How does one line up images better than I have in this post? I'm asking for a plebian.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

gh0stpinballa posted:

pretty sure there are non-voters to be turned out with a promise to legalise weed and to go after prince andrew for noncing

If legalising weed isn't in Labour's manifesto then I think it's going to be a huge missed opportunity

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think sometimes there is a bit of confusion with the term "flexible working", ronya is taking it to to mean "guaranteed hours but flexibility over when you work", while sometimes "flexible working" is used as a dogwhistle for insecure gig economy poo poo

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Holy poo poo, he is! Genuinely thought he was in his late 40s at the most.

It's the inverse of the Tories where they look 70 at 35.

Trying to keep a grift going at all costs in the hope of an easy life ages you. Contrariwise, doing good makes you radiate vitality even as you enter senescence*:

I make no comment on Milne because I know very little about him ;)

* My god what a grotesquely spelled word. Told you.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

MikeCrotch posted:

I think sometimes there is a bit of confusion with the term "flexible working", ronya is taking it to to mean "guaranteed hours but flexibility over when you work", while sometimes "flexible working" is used as a dogwhistle for insecure gig economy poo poo

Yeah my work has 'flexible working' which basically just means core hours are between 10 and 4 but you can turn up any time before then and leave any time after as long as you do your 8 hours it's all good. I like it a lot more because I get to work 8 to 4 and miss the rush hour and have a nice quiet hour in the morning with no one else around.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Rarity posted:

If legalising weed isn't in Labour's manifesto then I think it's going to be a huge missed opportunity

there are the uk equiv of joe rogan independents who would be massively attracted by that, and also lifting the lid on some choice state secrets

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

sometimes "flexible working" is used as a dogwhistle for insecure gig economy poo poo

Bend over backwards for me while I roger you, peasant :smug:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I like having flexible working hours, because it means that as long as my work keeps getting done & I turn up at the office every once in a while & answer my phone & emails nobody really cares if I feel like sleeping in some days or piss off to run errands or hit the gym in the middle of the day. It's great for parents & the disabled too.

Trouble is that when people say "flexible working hours" these days they generally mean flexible demands, imposed upon the worker by the boss at their absolute discretion with no realistic way to refuse. We seriously need some more modernised workers' rights right loving now, before the notion of "flexible hours" becomes so poisoned that people are actually fighting to have to go sit in an office all day (why would you want this!) and all those that can't for whatever reason get left behind.

Also before people start insisting I have to actually go to work every day because gently caress that, frankly

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Aphex- posted:

Yeah my work has 'flexible working' which basically just means core hours are between 10 and 4 but you can turn up any time before then and leave any time after as long as you do your 8 hours it's all good. I like it a lot more because I get to work 8 to 4 and miss the rush hour and have a nice quiet hour in the morning with no one else around.

I had a friend who had this working at an airport. He would show up at at work at midnight and go home at 8 in the morning and maybe did 1 hour of work in that time.

You would think that they would crack down on something like that but there were already more than enough functional adults to fill the spots during the regular work day

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also 5 day working weeks are dumb and pointless. Friday is basically a write off for a lot of people at my work anyway so we might as well just make it official.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I am eager for their no-doubt rapid and effective reply!

I am further eager for that kitten to be given pet!

If you met her you'd think she'd never been given a single attention.
I can assure you this is very much a lie.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Hey folks, while I was away on holiday I noticed someone that volunteers for a CLP or Momentum I think looking for computer touchers? I can't seem to find it now but I'm a Python dev/SQL DBA if there's something I can help someone with.

e:
https://twitter.com/TheBirmingham6/status/1191272477005111302

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Eschenique posted:

I had a friend who had this working at an airport. He would show up at at work at midnight and go home at 8 in the morning and maybe did 1 hour of work in that time.

You would think that they would crack down on something like that but there were already more than enough functional adults to fill the spots during the regular work day

This definitely feels like praxis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:five:

Rarity posted:

I've always been confused why it's always weed out of all drugs that is pushed for legalization. Sure, it seems dumb as hell to ban it, and its prohibition is racist and sectarian against Rastafari, and it's a giant waste of money, but in terms of lives saved if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or returning to the British system on cocaine and heroin I'd have to go with the one that doesn't end up with people injecting drywall.

Hell, if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or MDMA being available at Boots and mental health professionals plus cultural elders being able to dispense LSD and psilocybin at their discretion I'd still go with the latter.

I'm still pro legalization overall, and I hope it's the first crack in the dam, it just seems very culturally strange that that's the one drug that we've staked the drug war battleground on.

Definitely release the Nonce Andrew files tho.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

I like having flexible working hours, because it means that as long as my work keeps getting done & I turn up at the office every once in a while & answer my phone & emails nobody really cares if I feel like sleeping in some days or piss off to run errands or hit the gym in the middle of the day. It's great for parents & the disabled too.

Trouble is that when people say "flexible working hours" these days they generally mean flexible demands, imposed upon the worker by the boss at their absolute discretion with no realistic way to refuse. We seriously need some more modernised workers' rights right loving now, before the notion of "flexible hours" becomes so poisoned that people are actually fighting to have to go sit in an office all day (why would you want this!) and all those that can't for whatever reason get left behind.

Also before people start insisting I have to actually go to work every day because gently caress that, frankly

My office is going to start going down the route that everyone works at home at least one day a week (which a lot of people already do). A lot of people hate the idea, because either they're just not set up to work at home, or they can't get into the mindset of working productively outside of the office environment.

Even when I work at home I have trouble keeping my mind on work and end up finding distractions for myself (like browsing UKMT at 9.05am).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Banning cash machine charges is a new one to me

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1191268103851782144?s=19

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

employee-side flexibility is the conventional meaning of "flexible working hours" in formal/academic contexts (e.g.)

employer-side flexibility is generally called on-call work or "variable working hours", but there is no particular guarantee of consistent usage

in the context of Moore's article that HDS quotes, it probably has the conventional meaning in mind - employee-side flexible hours and and the employee's discretion in remote work for "normal" days.

Even so, it's worth being aware that this does come at a cost to employees who do not value these aspects of a workplace. It is piecework pay for knowledge workers, since a workplace that invests in flexible work hours necessarily finds other ways to assess employee contributions besides being present at a worksite to take orders from management, and these metrics are then applied to workers who do not take up flextime anyway - in English, for example, a project team might be expected to meet certain project milestones on time but retain discretion over how/when they show up to do so; the milestones are then set assuming a broadly 40 hour week. The employee is then taking on the managerial duty of managing themselves to meet those milestones, and this would remain true whether or not one leverages those flexible hours. This would be annoying if what one instead expects from work is to perform pre-specified tasks for pre-specified hours in a day, and have management entirely own the responsibility for making sure those tasks translate into revenues.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jose posted:

"business taxes are killing high streets" is a p weird take

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Steve2911 posted:

My office is going to start going down the route that everyone works at home at least one day a week (which a lot of people already do). A lot of people hate the idea, because either they're just not set up to work at home, or they can't get into the mindset of working productively outside of the office environment.

Even when I work at home I have trouble keeping my mind on work and end up finding distractions for myself (like browsing UKMT at 9.05am).

Parents with dead souls go to work to get a break from family life. Making them spend more time at home is a punishment.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Jose posted:

https://labour.org.uk/press/rebecca-long-bailey-responds-pwcs-high-streets-report/

"business taxes are killing high streets" is a p weird take

It's an online-vs-brick&mortar thing - online deliveries don't pay local business rates

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1191283447614070784?s=19
https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1191284392720838659?s=19

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 4, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Look who slithered out of his haunted mansion:

quote:

Tony Blair: save Britain by supporting moderate MPs
Tactical voting will be necessary to return politicians who do not spout populism

We are witnessing the infantilisation of British politics. The December 12 general election has been called to resolve Brexit but, if that is the question, it should be asked in a referendum. Millions of voters are confused and uncertain, lost in a maze of tactical voting conundrums. We see competing campaigns of populism — left and right — from the two parties capable of forming a government. Moderate MPs are either retiring or powerless, left to fight under banners they do not really believe in.

The spine of British politics has always been a solid centre. It has fractured. Repairing it and healing it will take time. The issue is: how, in this election, do we preserve that possibility while navigating the Brexit nightmare. 

The Conservatives’ strategy is simple: you may not like us or Brexit, but the alternative is Labour’s Jeremy Corbyn. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit policy is a total fraud. In this sense, Brexit party leader Nigel Farage is right. Mr Johnson got his Brexit deal with the EU by selling out unionists and agreeing to a border in the Irish Sea.

Now comes the negotiation over Britain’s future relationship with Europe. There, we have the same dilemma as beset us over Northern Ireland. Do we want access to European markets, in which case the EU will demand a level playing field on tax and regulation; or do we want the “freedom” to go our own way with the economic costs associated with leaving Europe’s trading system. 

The Conservatives insist that returning them to office “gets Brexit done” but all it does is to begin the next phase. 

Labour, having failed to back another referendum, claims to be fighting the election to have one afterwards, claiming it can negotiate a better deal with the EU which it will then put to the people. But it cannot say if it would support its own deal in that referendum. 

The Tories do not deserve to win a majority, and it is profoundly against the interests of the country if they win a big one. Yet that is possible because of a split opposition and Labour’s strategy. Mr Corbyn’s campaign launch speech attacking “dodgy landlords”, “billionaires” and a “corrupt system” is textbook populism. It is no more acceptable in the mouth of someone who calls themselves leftwing than in the mouth of Donald Trump’s right. 

I can take you to countries whose systems are corrupt. Ours isn’t. That is no more true than the Brexiter myth that the MPs refused to pass Brexit because they are sitting on their backsides, taking their salary and showing contempt for the British people. 

Government is about the hard challenge of analysis, policy development and delivery. It requires understanding of how the world is changing and how complex legacy systems can be adapted to technological change. This is our 21st century industrial revolution. 

Yet our politicians compete to tell us that there are simple answers: either parting ways with the EU, our largest trading partner, or removing pantomime villains of capitalism. 

Whenever an election is called, some MPs stand down. What is depressing this time is that many of those leaving clearly have much still to give, particularly those female MPs who cite the ugliness of political discourse as a reason. 

There will be many voters who distrust Mr Johnson, fear Mr Corbyn and who do not think the Liberal Democrats can form a credible government. 

Two criteria should guide their votes. One is naturally Brexit. For those whom getting a new referendum is determinative, there will be a lot of help available with tactical voting to prevent a Conservative majority. But the other factor is also important: we need to get into parliament many reasonable and capable politicians of all parties who will not spout populism. We need people who will put reasoned argument before ideology and understand that democracy is about regarding opponents as people with whom you disagree, not enemies. 

This is a moment to judge the calibre and character of individual candidates carefully. There is a core of good Labour MPs who will not be whipped into supporting policy they do not believe in. They deserve strong support even from those not inclined to vote Labour. Parliament would be worse without the Conservative independents. If this parliament has shown anything it is that independent-minded MPs can make a difference and work constructively together. We need that spirit in the new parliament. 

Achieving the right result, not only on Brexit but for that centre-ground spine, requires sophistication and care. Voters must pay attention through the campaign as public opinion evolves. 

After this election, the real battle over the future of British politics will begin.

Shut. The. gently caress. Up. Tony.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

"Flexible working" in my experience is "you are expected to work whenever we tell you to"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isn't the point of working from home to rack up as many videogame hours as possible while clearing out a couple of emails during loading screens?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Look who slithered out of his haunted mansion:

Shut. The. gently caress. Up. Tony.
This is how politics drifted so far to the right over the past 40 years.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Arrest Blair

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Liberalism.txt

The problem isn't the policy, this is very much a branding issue.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ratjaculation posted:

Arrest Blair

There's still time for this to become a reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNa8yb0Q_fo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ronya posted:

It's an online-vs-brick&mortar thing - online deliveries don't pay local business rates

oh right, that makes more sense.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

https://labour.org.uk/press/rebecca-long-bailey-responds-pwcs-high-streets-report/

I can't find a link to it now but I definitely read a study that showed for any decrease in business rates, 100% of the cost saving ends up being passed on to commercial landlords. Which makes logical sense, rent & rates are combined fixed premises costs and if the tax element falls the other one will raise.

I'm sure the system is bad and can be reformed, but this whole idea that it's rates that are driving shops out of business probably isn't true and serves more of as a convenient excuse for management to dodge the blame for running crappy shops.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Pale_0ntologist/status/1190996662921154561?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

oh right, that makes more sense.

It does a bit but it doesn't change the fact that most specifically constructed shopping areas are designed to be hostile to people just spending time in them, they are designed to funnel people into a shop and then out again as soon as possible and given how utilitarian that is then online shopping will always have a bit of an edge.

Revitalizing high streets means turning them into places that people go to without the intention of spending money but then do spend money when they arrive.