Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks good for winter camo. I'm planning to have "tire track" winter camo on my current build on top of a three tone colour scheme. It's going to be pretty challenging, I think.

I kinda want to re-do it just because the feathering is so heavy but then again it looks good from 2 feet away. Looking forward to seeing your paint job though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

grassy gnoll posted:

The secret to painting black is to never actually use black paint. Pick your favorite dark, dark grey and go over the model in a uniform coat. Highlight up, or wash down to black, panel line in black, etc. I've been using German grey, but basically anything that's a shade or two lighter than actual black will work.

Perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Molentik posted:

You can also paint different panels with various tones of dark colours thinned with a glaze medium to break up the monotony. And pastels of course!

Great tip too!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Did some more work on it today. Gloss coat, decals and dirtied it up with a brown wash. Also cut out some of the used sprue for scrap lumber in the back. Probably finished in the next session. Matt varnish, oils & weathering and paint up the lumber and the couple of other bits left. You can't quite see the wash but it looks real nice.

Knocked off the wing mirror but thats standard at this point.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That looks like the same kit PLASMO did a couple of/dioramas of a while back if you're looking for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AX-M_50mEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOV76u8VW5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2C3PHcYTjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8sFMTox5M

Reminds me that I should finish my bf109 next week after I get back from the MotoGP

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It's the exact one! I got it for my birthday because of his videos and I like the utilitarian chunky russian vehicles.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've been playing a lot of il2 recently so I'm on a bit of a Soviet streak. I might do a P-40 in lend lease trim next. Maybe. I shouldn't be buying any more kits right now.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I have an Su-33 I want to start next but then also Zvezda just put out an Su-30SM kit and I want to build Mihalys' plane from AC7

:getin:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I have an Su-33 I want to start next but then also Zvezda just put out an Su-30SM kit and I want to build Mihalys' plane from AC7

:getin:

Do you have a link to the SU-30SM? It's my fav AC7 plane!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Do you have a link to the SU-30SM? It's my fav AC7 plane!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda-7314-sukhoi-su-30sm-flanker-c--1172371

Came out a couple of months ago and is cheap to boot.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah, thanks. Soon as i finish this F4U Corsair im gonna cop that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What's the least awful print-your-own-decal paper?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

grassy gnoll posted:

What's the least awful print-your-own-decal paper?

Don't think it matters that much, the important thing is to use laser printing because inkjet is poo poo.

Avis 1/72nd Bristol M.1D. Short run kit of a one-off racing plane developed from the M.1C fighter, 1922.

I put some extra stuff in the cockpit that you can barely see with the top on:

with the other Bristol racer I finished last time

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I finished the drift boat model I made at work on coffee breaks. It's about 1/24 scale, and is composed entirely of scraps from other projects and stir sticks from Starbucks. This was a scratch build, I started by drawing out a template for the deck and then worked up from there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

wow.

that's cool

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Nice job! Welcome to the extra-cockpit-details-no-one-will-ever-see club!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Symetrique posted:

And here I was thinking that's just part of the fun: building instrument panels and seats and decalling them knowing that there's no way anyone's ever gonna see it again without breaking the model.

Hell, I even build car models with this attitude, it's all about knowing that that detail's there while knowing nobody will ever see it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Smoke posted:

And here I was thinking that's just part of the fun: building instrument panels and seats and decalling them knowing that there's no way anyone's ever gonna see it again without breaking the model.

Hell, I even build car models with this attitude, it's all about knowing that that detail's there while knowing nobody will ever see it.

I remember some miniature with a Schroedinger's cat motif where the sculptor made an alternative part without the cat (or it was a live cat/dead cat variant). The box was supposed to be glued shut so only the modeler would ever know which variant he used for his particular mini.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I do believe this model had more decals than any other model I've ever done. Going to clean it up and do panel lines tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fearless posted:

I finished the drift boat model I made at work on coffee breaks. It's about 1/24 scale, and is composed entirely of scraps from other projects and stir sticks from Starbucks. This was a scratch build, I started by drawing out a template for the deck and then worked up from there.

Nice work! Love to see stuff like this.

Unkempt posted:

Excellent work.

The fact that kits like this even exist certainly flys in the face of all the doom and gloom people at modelling club meetings & on the internet saying that the hobby is dying. The models and tools available to the modeler today were just unheard of 30 years ago.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

The Locator posted:

The fact that kits like this even exist certainly flys in the face of all the doom and gloom people at modelling club meetings & on the internet saying that the hobby is dying. The models and tools available to the modeler today were just unheard of 30 years ago.

There's some amazing stuff coming out in injection moulded plastic. Just in 1/72 aircraft, there's this thing:

One or two built?

About half a dozen of these, a high altitude research plane from the soviet union. Kit has really good reviews.

And the next from Avis who did that Bristol M1D and Bristol Racer is this thing:

Who the hell would want that? Well, me for one, obviously, but they're only making 500 and selling them at about $20 so that's about ten grand retail - how the hell are they making money on this?

I sometimes wonder if there's just some nerdy oligarch guy getting all the eastern european manufacturers to turn out this weird obscure stuff, but it works for me so I'm not complaining.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I dunno why, but I feel like the wings on that "monoplane" should be flapping while in flight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno why, but I feel like the wings on that "monoplane" should be flapping while in flight.

Also the pilot isn't wearing a white silk scarf

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NTRabbit posted:

Also the pilot isn't wearing a white silk scarf

Hardly worth calling himself an aviator! :wotwot:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Trying my hand at the most complex Soviet camo scheme: three colour winter camo over three colour summer camo. The first attempt went terribly, so I stripped the whole thing, managed to break off all the handlebars in the process, and had to rebuild them.

This time I started with green primer, painted yellow spots freehand, masked to give them a hard edge, then did the same for brown spots, then coloured the rest in Vallejo Russian green, highlighting in their light green as an experiment, since it was way too light to use in any other case. While the masks were still on, I sprayed on some splotchy white over the green. The next step is to paint the hatching over the brown and yellow spots, which I will have to do freehand.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Can you really call yourself a scale modeller if you don't break something off every single build?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm calling this one "An Old Warrior Long Forgotten." This is the 1/35 Tamiya CCKW truck on a very simple base. I scratch built most of the engine, wiring, brake lines, and tattered tarpaulins.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Jesus christ, dude. Amazing! I would point out what I love about your work, but I love it all.

One of the best models I've seen here, period. Way to go, man!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Amazing work!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I absolutely love the tarp, what did you use to make it?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm calling this one "An Old Warrior Long Forgotten." This is the 1/35 Tamiya CCKW truck on a very simple base. I scratch built most of the engine, wiring, brake lines, and tattered tarpaulins.

Goddamn, really nice work!

On a side note, where did you get that grass mat from?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks, everyone. The grass mat is this one, cut down to size.

For the tarps, I used tissue paper similar to this. I think my wife got a pile of it at Target for like a buck. I cut it to roughly cover the "cargo" then brushed on a mix of white glue and water. That helps it settle onto the underlying pieces and creates a pretty believable effect. Once it was dry, I painted it an acrylic base, then highlighted and shaded with oils.

For the stuff in the cargo bed, the bulk was built up by lego pieces, to which I glued spare parts from the kit. That gave the shape. For the ripped tarp on the cab, I cut the kit canvas piece off roughly then used the same water/white glue method to drape the tissue paper over. While the paper was wet, I pulled at it with various instruments to tatter the edges. Turned out pretty well I think. :)

For the torn driver seat, I thinned the seat bottom from the back of the piece, then punched some holes in it. The stuffing that's sticking out is ApoxieSculpt that I pressed in from the backside, then shaped to look roughly like seat foam.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 3, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Here's some materials testing.

TIE on the left was lined with GW Nuln Oil and varnished with Vallejo Mecha matte varnish, TIE on the right was hit with oil paint and AK Ultra Matte. I've seen the AK played up as the end-all be-all, but honestly I think the Vallejo is a lot flatter. I'm going to try it on something with an actual color palette next.

More AK product, this time the AK True Metal Aluminum. It's an acrylic with wax in it, so you can buff the hell out of it. Cutting matt is under daylight bulbs, white background is midday sun. The Mustang was done with the AK, while the P-47 is Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum. Both are gloss coated with Vallejo acrylic gloss.

It looks great, but it's a pain to work with. First trick is that the paint's meant to be rubbed on. You can airbrush it, but you need to thin it really heavily and it's going to try and separate on you. As a result, it takes a tremendous amount of time to dry, and it separated under the varnish coat I put on it - you can see the mottling effect on the wings. The gloss coat actually cut some of the shine. I'm wondering if a longer curing time will help, or if it just doesn't take varnish.

The effect is basically the best metal effect I've seen outside of foil. It's really, really delicate, and again, I'm not sure if a day or so just to cure would let it harden up enough to varnish and handle.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

It looks great, but it's a pain to work with. First trick is that the paint's meant to be rubbed on. You can airbrush it, but you need to thin it really heavily and it's going to try and separate on you. As a result, it takes a tremendous amount of time to dry, and it separated under the varnish coat I put on it - you can see the mottling effect on the wings. The gloss coat actually cut some of the shine. I'm wondering if a longer curing time will help, or if it just doesn't take varnish.

The effect is basically the best metal effect I've seen outside of foil. It's really, really delicate, and again, I'm not sure if a day or so just to cure would let it harden up enough to varnish and handle.

I've got this 1:48 scale B-29 almost ready to paint, and the local guy only had one bottle of the Alclad (I bought it but it's probably not enough to cover this beast). Is the AK more suited to small scale? I'm wondering if I could get the rubbing and polishing to look even. I've got like acres of bare aluminum to replicate here.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Looks great! Do you use a gloss black base?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dielectric posted:

I've got this 1:48 scale B-29 almost ready to paint, and the local guy only had one bottle of the Alclad (I bought it but it's probably not enough to cover this beast). Is the AK more suited to small scale? I'm wondering if I could get the rubbing and polishing to look even. I've got like acres of bare aluminum to replicate here.

Mixed bag, based on your example. The buffing won't be a problem - scrub it with a paper towel or a Q-tip for a second or two and it shines. You're going to get more variation from how thickly you applied the paint, rather than the buffing part. It's relatively painless, and it honestly is really neat to watch it shine up.

Price is what may hurt the most. I paid twelve bucks US for a 20ml tube, which is less paint than the Alclad bottles at a higher cost. The coverage is pretty good, but I'd be worried about running out halfway on something the size of a 1/48 B-29.

George Zimmer posted:

Looks great! Do you use a gloss black base?

Yeah. Never not gloss black for a metallic. I use the Vallejo gloss primer, and it's thin enough you can get a little undercoat variation if you want while still getting a shine off your metals. Downside is, it could conceivably be shinier with a thicker, more opaque primer coat. YMMV.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Tamiya 1/12 Kawasaki Ninja H2R

One of the nicest kits I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Everything fits perfectly, outstanding detail, just pure fun to build.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I've done 5 or 6 Tamiya bikes and that's been my experience with every one. They have a Ducati 1199 out that I want to pick up. Your Ninja looks great.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've done 5 or 6 Tamiya bikes and that's been my experience with every one. They have a Ducati 1199 out that I want to pick up. Your Ninja looks great.

The Ducati 1199 was the first Tamiya kit I ever built. I still remember being dumbfounded at how good it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My dad is very gradually doing the Tamiya Panigale. It's impressive how good it is. It just falls into place.