Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

I let the rice sit for like 15 minutes after the last batch and while it helped it was still crunchy. Is a crock pot a better rice cooking implement?

Absolutely not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Crock pots are not even close to the best cooking implement for absolutely anything, they're just convenient

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

DildenAnders posted:

I let the rice sit for like 15 minutes after the last batch and while it helped it was still crunchy. Is a crock pot a better rice cooking implement?

What is your process, in detail?
I maybe shouldn't have glossed over the 'cook the rice' part. I'll provide more detail.

1 Cup of Rice
1.5 Cups of water

In a pot with the lid on, bring the water and rice to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low so it reduces from a boil to a gentle simmer.
Let it cook with the lid on undisturbed for 20 minutes.
Test for consistency. If it's crunchy and still wet, cook longer. If it's crunchy and bone-dry, add water and cook longer. Try five or ten minute taste test increments.
Remove from heat and either fluff it or wait 15 minutes and fluff it
The end

I was thinking maybe you're cooking uncovered, or maybe you're not bringing it up to temp fast enough, or maybe you're trying to cook it at a rolling boil the whole time. Hopefully something about these steps is something you didn't know? Also, if your rice is REALLY old - like multiple years old - that may cause it to be tough to cook. This probably isn't the problem.

Finally, if it's still not working, I recommend getting a SMALL inexpensive rice cooker like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/DECKER-RC506-Cooked-Uncooked-Steamer/dp/B016Y8JSK4
If you have an asian grocer nearby, you may be able to pick one like this up for like nine dollars. Get a small one if you get one - big rice cookers don't do well with small batches.

A crock pot won't be easier to use to make fluffy rice than a regular pot. It would be easier to make like overnight rice porridge with a crock pot, but that's not what you're aiming for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Even a cheapo rice cooker is easier and more consistent than using a pot. It's not cheating, everybody in Asia uses a rice cooker too. I don't think I've made rice in a pot in a decade.

You do still have to figure out your water ratio but after that you're good.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

I started portioning tomato paste into 1 tbsp dollops and then freezing them after wrapping in plastic wrap and it changed my life

:same:

It took a very embarrassing accident where I needed stitches after trying to extract frozen tomato paste from a previously opened can to get me to start doing this, but it's a thousand percent worth the extra couple of bucks on tube tomato paste (paid back in lack of waste) and minutes of effort to measure (digital scale perfect for this application). Everyone should do this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got a Marcato Atlas 150 kit two weeks ago that included a raviolini maker. That is the one that makes four raviolis along the pasta sheets. It was an absolute trainwreck to use. It looks like the ravioli would stick to one roller, come back around, and then back a huge, squidgy mess. I'm thinking I need to use a very dry dough and rely on the filling to seal the pasta. I wondered if anybody had any ideas about that. I just made bigger ravioli manually from the sheets, but I can appreciate having something to make a bunch of smaller ones if I could get it to work. The price was good even without that since I got some other attachments, so I'm not too bummed about it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

In my experience, crunchy rice can be an indication of too low of a heat. You need it hot enough to cook in the right length of time, otherwise it will be undercooked at the end. You don't want it really going, too fast and it will be more likely to burn on the bottom. I usually aim for a slightly visible stream of steam coming out of the side of the lid or the round hole in the lid.

If you got the right amount of water for the cooking time, you'll have to add a bit more if you bump up the heat, the higher heat will evaporate the water faster.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

So you're saying that tempering does change the flavor or characteristics of chocolate in a significant way?

This is ages ago, but I felt compelled to elaborate a little bit. Chocolate is actually fairly complex from a condensed matter perspective. There are 6 crystal phases that cocoa butter can condense into. For high-quality eating chocolate, chocolatiers temper the chocolate to produce more chocolate in phase-V in the bar. That crystal phase has the magical properties that make chocolate so satisfying to eat: the nice snap of the bar when you break off a piece, the glossy surface, and the melting point just below body temperature.

Personally I've never tempered chocolate myself, because it has a reputation as a difficult process. The typical way a home-cook would go about it is to melt some chocolate, then introduce some amount of seed chocolate to the mixture, then let it cool after the seed has been incorporated. The idea is that the seed crystals initiate freezing of the melted chocolate into the phase-V of the introduced chocolate. The hard way (but fool-proof if you do it right) is a controlled melting, then cooling and heating to specific temperatures with agitation to remove the wrong phase crystals in the chocolate.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't learn to temper chocolate, just that it will take some failed attempts and learning before you get it right. I'd say the tempering is important in judging quality chocolate since it affects the texture and is important in the overall experience of eating chocolate. If the tempering is not done right then chocolate may not have the snap, gloss, and melting that I'm looking for in chocolate.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought a $16 Panasonic rice maker in 2006 and have used it twice a week since then. It always works fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah all through college I used a like $10 Amazon random rice cooker and it made rice fine every time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Eeyo posted:

Personally I've never tempered chocolate myself, because it has a reputation as a difficult process.

I pretty much do all the cooking in my house, yet my wife has magic powers to melt chocolate using the microwave. I cringe every time, and every time I have all the characteristics of a well-tempered chocolate. I feel like the whole process will turn to poo poo if my wife learns any single extra thing about it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I threw out a Hershey's bar the other day because I couldn't get past the graininess and puke flavor of it. How do you gently caress chocolate up so bad?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i use one of those plastic/microwave rice cookers cause the metal ones are annoying and big and it's always turned out fine for me

my q: is there a repository of meal prep stuff here in GWS? I looked briefly but didn't see a specific thread

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

spankmeister posted:

I threw out a Hershey's bar the other day because I couldn't get past the graininess and puke flavor of it. How do you gently caress chocolate up so bad?

Here is a really interesting article about why Hersheys tastes like sick.

In essence, its to do with milk preservation and getting it into GIs field rations during the war.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Here is a really interesting article about why Hersheys tastes like sick.

In essence, its to do with milk preservation and getting it into GIs field rations during the war.

Damint, beat me to it. Yeah, not quite puke, but sour milk. It's faint though, I'm pretty sure most of the population can't taste it.

Apparently it's quite jarring if you've grown up on Cadbury Dairy Milk.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Cook rice in the Iranian fashion, if you insist on doing it on the stove.

Get you some basmati rice, aged about a year or so. Rinse it well until the water runs clear. This will take several changes of water. Set a large pot of water to boil. For about 4 cups of rice you want like a gallon or so of water. While the water comes to a boil, soak the rinsed rice in room temp water. When the water is at a seething, rushing boil, add a generous bit of salt, and some oil or butter. Drain the soaked rice of its soaking liquid, and dump it into the pot of rapidly boiling water. After about 5 minutes of this rapidly boiling thing, start testing the rice grains. You want them to be somewhat firm but break in half easily when you press down on it. Drain the boiling hot water off in a strainer, and add the fat of your choice to the bottom of that pot. You want to drain it of excess water, but not bone dry. Add the rice back in, and put the lid back on. Turn on the heat to lowest heat, and let the rice finish steaming for like 15 minutes or so. Turn off the heat completely.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
So my brother came over and had some od the rice I made, and he said the texture was "very good", so I guess just the rice on the top of the pot was a bit al dente. Thanks for the advice Fart Store and others, I'll add a little bit more water but otherwise maintain this method. Long term I think I'll get a rice cooker if they're really that cheap and that much of an improvement. I'll be eating fried rice for dinner today!
I still have I think 161 servings of rice left in there, does anyone know about the efficacy of homemade rice milk? I like rice milk but this sounds like dangerous territory to wade into uninformed.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 4, 2019

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Close family will never give you accurate signal on how good your food is, if they have any sense

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's faint though

It most definitely isnt faint: anyone Ive ever met who isnt American tastes it instantly and hates it. I think Americans are just really used to it, to the point where some prefer it to the taste of what people in Europe say is the superior product.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Eeyo posted:

Chocolate

What's are the main factors that determine what structures chocolate forms? Cocoa content? Fat content? It suddenly makes me want to see a phase diagram for chocolate but in my background in metallurgy, phase diagrams are usually binary (at most ternary) and I imagine chocolate is a little more complex than that.. but maybe it's only a couple things that affect the chocolate structure..

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
No, phase diagram works fine, this isn't a spin glass or anything

http://soft-matter.seas.harvard.edu..._and_nucleation

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

No, phase diagram works fine, this isn't a spin glass or anything

http://soft-matter.seas.harvard.edu..._and_nucleation

That's so cool and interesting (though it's technically a TTT diagram). Thanks very much for this.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Actual phase diagram is in the references somewhere, sorry

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

That's so cool and interesting (though it's technically a TTT diagram). Thanks very much for this.

Time-temperature-transformation for the materials science noobs out there. The same techniques that allow gas turbine engines to exist make chocolate shiny and snappy.

Having a MatSE degree makes cooking really, really intuitive, which rules.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lawnie posted:

Time-temperature-transformation for the materials science noobs out there. The same techniques that allow gas turbine engines to exist make chocolate shiny and snappy.

Having a MatSE degree makes cooking really, really intuitive, which rules.

Hi5 MSE buddy.

Cooking really is just a cousin for our studies. Foods are just complex materials and at the end of the day, there are only a few knobs you can turn to change things (time, temperature, medium (e.g. oil, water, air), etc.). When you control for the relevant variables, you get a consistent product - whether that's a turbine blade or fried chicken.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want a rice cooker on a budget, get the aroma 8 cup:

Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD 2-8-Cups (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Grain Cooker and Food Steamer, Stainless, 8 Cup, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9YNO/

I had it for 5 years and it worked perfect every time. I used to cook about 20 lb of rice each month. Currently residing with the boyfriend because I bought a fancier model for myself, and hes been loving it too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't have a rice cooker to compare it to but I use my instant pot as a rice cooker at least 2-3 times a month or more. It took a little bit of trial and error to figure out just the right ratio and times for each type of rice I'd use and you definitely want to unseal and fluff your rice right after its done.

Anyways, if you've already got one might give it a go. I use mine as much as a rice cooker as I do a pressure cooker.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

New challenge: this time I'm the proud recipient of a little under 2.5 pounds of fresh local cilantro. Anyone got any hacks for using a ton of cilantro? Can I pickle cilantro??

Worst case I guess I'll freeze most of it for curries

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
make cilantro liqueur

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Freezing cilantro is a fool's errand. The thing to do would be to make a cilantro chimichurri and then freeze that if you must.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Freezing cilantro is a fool's errand. The thing to do would be to make a cilantro chimichurri and then freeze that if you must.

Gonna say the same thing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Make a bunch of cilantro oil! Blend leaves and tender stems with olive oil and strain through a coffee filter overnight. Garnish everything with it. Hell, stir-fry with it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

my tentative plan was to food process it a tiny bit with a little water/oil to get it to come together a little and then freeze it in cubes or something like that. chimichurri sounds good too

prayer group posted:

Make a bunch of cilantro oil! Blend leaves and tender stems with olive oil and strain through a coffee filter overnight. Garnish everything with it. Hell, stir-fry with it.

might try this tomorrow

barkbell posted:

make cilantro liqueur

might try this tomorrow

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cilantro pesto sounds good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How toxic is the smoke that comes out of an appliance that just died? Asking for a friend

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If I were to guess (and I'm about to) I'd guess it's a low dose of potent toxin(s), but it would probably depend on what kind of appliance too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A dehydrator

I think it was the fan motor

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's probably not much mass to burn into toxic smoke. If his pet birds(s) are still alive I doubt anything else will happen

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

A dehydrator

I think it was the fan motor

Youre probably now some sort of superhero. DryMan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

That Works posted:

I don't have a rice cooker to compare it to but I use my instant pot as a rice cooker at least 2-3 times a month or more. It took a little bit of trial and error to figure out just the right ratio and times for each type of rice I'd use and you definitely want to unseal and fluff your rice right after its done.

Anyways, if you've already got one might give it a go. I use mine as much as a rice cooker as I do a pressure cooker.

Trial and error was this persons issue in the first place. Thats why were suggesting they get a rice cooker. The instant pot will not get as consistent results as the rice cooker. Theres a reason so much of the world uses one. Most Indians own a pressure cooker and know how to make rice in there. If youre gonna buy a plug in device, get the rice cooker and a real pressure cooker. That sear function on the instant pot is way too weak to pop spices properly, or get water to heat fast enough.