Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gort posted:

What actually are the purdah rules?

WRT leadership debates:

quote:

UK-based election programming (for example, UK leadership debates) can focus on those parties that have a realistic prospect of forming the UK Government following the election in question. However, in line with Rule 6.2, broadcasters must ensure that appropriate coverage is given (in the same programming, or in linked programming, as appropriate)to other parties,if evidence of past electoral support and/or current support means it is appropriate to do so

The rest here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0034/99178/broadcast-code-guidance-section-6-march-2017.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

RockyB posted:

Frankly I now really Corbyn to let one of his team sub in for him just to shut down this talking point. Only possible next woman PM? Nah, here's Diane Abbot tag teaming Blustering BoJo with Rebecca Long-Bailey.

A bloodied bojo reeling from fist to fist within a ring of labour women

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Nicola Sturgeon is more likely to be the next prime minister than swinson is.

Sturgeon and the SNP are almost guaranteed to have more seats than the Lib Dems in 2020.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

What is this absolute nonsense? How can you sue someone for excluding you from their own TV shows. We're outside or purdah and even if we weren't there's no legal requirement for leader debates.

Also if there should be a third party it's obviously the SNP.
Sturgeon as third person still best option.

Gort posted:

What actually are the purdah rules?
Women have to sit behind the curtain at debates.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Communist Thoughts posted:

A bloodied bojo reeling from fist to fist within a ring of labour women

Yes I do perceive of all 'leadership debates' as WWE matches, why do you ask?

Even better, let's bring back gladiator. Wolf vs Corbyn. Bet we can get a channel 5 special out of that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brexit is resolved by a remain alliance beating farage and boris to death with giant q-tips is certainly not how I expected it to end but it makes sense in context.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1191393457572630529?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RockyB posted:

Even better, let's bring back gladiator. Wolf vs Corbyn. Bet we can get a channel 5 special out of that.

Wolf was Dutch. This election is not a proxy referendum.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

RockyB posted:

The UK secretly being run by Vince Mcmahon makes a hell of a lot of sense

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RockyB posted:

Party leaders run the obstacle course while gladiators debate their economic policies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Party leaders run the obstacle course while gladiators debate their economic policies.

boris will somehow end up debating the gladiators and still lose

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jo Swinson has major Hillary in 2016 energy

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I packed a few hundred letters this afternoon, which was fine when it was just me, but became a bit of a nightmare when a bunch of people turned up and the conversation turned to politics, plus the news on in the background.

Next time I'll just bring music I think.

It was fine, but I'm seriously unsure if sending personalised letters to every local labout *member* is the best use of election funds.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Jo Swinson has major Hillary in 2016 energy

At least Hillary could answer a hostile question. Jo just shits herself in real time and accuses Jeremy Corbyn of making GBS threads her pants.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

The UK secretly being run by Vince Mcmahon makes a hell of a lot of sense

mcmahon abandoning 20 WWE stars in saudi arabia while he went back to the US has extreme boris energy

jfc

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1191375473093337088

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

alphabettitouretti posted:

Brexit is loving dumb but just outright revoking without another referendum seems like a bad idea.

But then if you know you're never going to win why not promise it? gently caress it, revoke A50 and everyone gets a free muffin with an EU flag on top.

Second referendum was Lib Dem policy until literally the day it became Labour policy and they switched to Revoke .

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jose posted:

mcmahon abandoning 20 WWE stars in saudi arabia while he went back to the US has extreme boris energy

jfc

Think I saw that mentioned on twitter, what's the story there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tories are rewarding all the labour wreckers.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
We can have a SpAd attack round too, between Cummings and the magic unaging Seamus Milne I know who I'd choose.

Anyway the current plan is to have a program following on from the leadership debate for the 'lesser parties' to put their views across, which exactly matches the purdah rules. So this is really Jo; trying to force a legal argument that the lib dems have a realistic chance. Somehow not realising that every shred of evidence she tries to present also means the Brexit party should be included.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol if you wouldn't

https://twitter.com/WasiqUK/status/1191364972409954304

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

We can have a SpAd attack round too, between Cummings and the magic unaging Seamus Milne I know who I'd choose.
Cummings fights dirty.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dammit why couldn't she have been my candidate

instead Cov NW is gonna get some loving melt parachuted in I bet

e: oh I didn't see that we elected our candidate over the weekend

https://twitter.com/tai_temi

she's a Fabian so probably pretty melty all things considered

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently she was the melt parachuted in.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HauntedRobot posted:

The B in "Benoit B Mandelbrot" stands for "Benoit B Mandelbrot".

What's an anagram of "Banach-Tarski paradox"?

Banach-Tarski paradox Banach-Tarski paradox

(I had to look up Banach-Tarski paradox, I do not understand the Banach-Tarski paradox, but I still love the joke)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I am going to be on Question Time this week.

The question I think that I might get to ask is "Since the Lib Dems are the most vocal proponents of tactical voting, why are they so reticent to stand aside when it's the right thing to do, even if other parties won't reciprocate?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

(I had to look up Banach-Tarski paradox, I do not understand the Banach-Tarski paradox, but I still love the joke)
The Banach-Tarski paradox, or how to grow a pair of balls.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

mehall posted:

I am going to be on Question Time this week.

The question I think that I might get to ask is "Since the Lib Dems are the most vocal proponents of tactical voting, why are they so reticent to stand aside when it's the right thing to do, even if other parties won't reciprocate?"

Squeeze something on about their use of manipulated polling statistics in order to exploit people into voting for them

then you're gold.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lmao Swinson should definitely sue over the debate, a High Court decision on whether she has a "realistic chance" of forming a government would be a loving fantastic start to the campaign

She can adduce all the Lib Dems' super secret polling as evidence!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

jfc

Finding out about rightwing extremism by asking my wife how her day at work was while I evade sexual harassment charges.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Did you try turning it around?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Did you try turning it around?

It looks the same from every angle!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1191403117910405120

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I wonder how much (if any) of this is to do with the Lib Dems standing down for Plaid in 4(?) seats.

e: poll poLLs POLLS POLLS!!

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1191404112249860096

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 4, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsbeat/status/1191233614316310528

Death Stranding is now a Brexit simulator.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/eilidhmax/status/1191386724464824320?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't believe hideo kojima makes games about anything other than movies he watched, celebrities he likes, and his penis.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Had another chat with my parents about the upcoming election. They're amused by the Tory shitfest that is the start of their campaign and they're angry about the Lib Dem outright lies, but I can't get them enthused about Jezza. Though they'll still vote for Labour here, but they both think Corbs has a virulent hatred of the EU and is a secret, ardent Leaver, and my step-dad outright doesn't believe he'll give us a second referendum.

I mean if they'll vote that's what really matters but I have NO idea how you'd get through to those kinds of beliefs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't believe hideo kojima makes games about anything other than movies he watched, celebrities he likes, and his penis.

The Theresa May inspired boss, in her skin tight leopard skin cat suit...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess ask why they have them, fundamentally the thing that inocculates me against a lot of the poo poo is basic marxism that leads me to disbelieve basically everything that comes out of a paper or a tv screen.

If you don't have that it's gonna be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gonzo McFee posted:

Death Stranding is now a Brexit simulator.

unoriginal, fallouts existed for decades