Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Toxtricity of our city, of our city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The 400 is just the Galar dex- the stuff you can actually capture in the two games. We already know of one (Mew) that is available outside the Galar dex. If you can transfer other stuff, like all the Let's Go pokemon, we wouldn't know about it yet.

If they're not transferable, I'd assume there will be some sort of stadium/battling game coming out at some point, with the idea that you're not really supposed to bother transferring stuff to Sword/Shield.

Vinylshadow posted:

Wait, so one of the pokemon is literally just a penguin with an ice block for a head?

Among the standout designs of this gen, that's rather weak, don't you think?

i suppose that's tradition at this point - at least Piplup was blue
It's got another form where it's lost it's ice cube.
Maybe there's a gameplay gimmick associated with that?
:shrug:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Reminds me of Mimikyu's Disguise ability.

I don't like its gross single hair though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Procrastine posted:

I don't like its gross single hair though

what if it's flesh, like Sylveon's ribbons

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Andrast posted:

what the gently caress no Zubat

this is an outrage, what else are they going to fill the caves with

Woobat

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Gruckles posted:

That makes it more confusing that they aren't compatible with Sword/Shield.

Presumably because LGPE is gen VII and 🗡️🛡️ is gen VIII, so I guess they'd need to update textures and such for all LGPE mons?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Many of my good friends are gone now but all 3 of my competitive shinies are in this year (vaporeon, scrafty, toxicroak) and also my main man diggersby, who will also have a fat idiot soulmate squirrel friend

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Kinda sad there's no new bat representation like that one (now debunked) leak stated.

A dark-type bat makes so much sense, it's crazy it still doesn't exist.

Kind of like an ice-type penguin. But hey, look at that!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"But this is where the most apparent ignorance lies. Back in 2016, there was a poll in Japan to see what fan's favourite Pokémon were. Out of the top 100, only 23 Pokémon were included in Sw/Sh. "

:rip: all the good Pokémon :rip:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think we can all agree that it's bullshit that Goldeen and Seaking made it in and Starmie and Staryu didn't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
400 is bigger than all national dexs up to gen 4. And much bigger than all other regional dexs.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
No tentacool or Zubat?
What sort of hellscape is Galar that the Pokemon living in every loving body of water ever can’t survive there?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"But this is where the most apparent ignorance lies. Back in 2016, there was a poll in Japan to see what fan's favourite Pokémon were. Out of the top 100, only 23 Pokémon were included in Sw/Sh. "

:rip: all the good Pokémon :rip:
I wonder if this is because a casual player's fan favorite is more likely to be a legendary? Like, out of the top 100, minus legendaries, what percentage are in? Does it go up significantly?

(link me, link the list, I'll do the math myself, screw it)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

400 is bigger than all national dexs up to gen 4. And much bigger than all other regional dexs.

There weren't even 400 Pokemon up until gen 4 so this is a silly metric

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(link me, link the list, I'll do the math myself, screw it)

https://twitter.com/serebiinet/status/740155327916744704

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think we can all agree that it's bullshit that Goldeen and Seaking made it in and Starmie and Staryu didn't.
Agreed that the latter are cooler than the former, but they're also significantly better Pokemon. Maybe GF really is trying out a new game balance this time around. Without most of the starters and legendaries, what will the new tiers look like? With 4-6 hundred less Pokemon to consider, maybe we'll see some real variety in the teams.

Alternately, maybe GF are idiots and the ice cube head Pokemon will be stupidly broken and the World Championship Finals will be a race to see who can get the biggest ice cube before sweeping the other teams.

EDIT: Arceus and Genesect being in the top 10 instantly prove that theory that children and child-minded fans were considering how big, powerful, and rare the Pokemon were more than how much they actually like the Pokemon or its design. I'm sure there's a handful of Arceus likers out there, but your favorite? For reasons beyond "it's God?" Nah.

EDIT2: REGIGIGAS? Kyurem?? Yeah, a poll excluding Legendaries would be much more interesting.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 4, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kalos had 450 fwiw

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
That top 100 poll is loving depressing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I want to see the bottom hundred and take a drink for each one that survived Dexit.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

No Psyduck and no Dratini?? Who the gently caress did this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

That top 100 poll is loving depressing.

Reddit did a similar poll that got 52000 responses and someone went through to compare their results to Japan's for fun. It was pretty interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c45hqi/reddits_favorite_pokemon_vs_japans_favorite/

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

Well, not dlc necesarily, I was just thinking about adding stuff in an update. Lots of Switch titles have gotten pretty significant content in free updates so it doesn't seem too crazy to me, although I guess with the original 150 being swiss cheese the whole "maybe they'll add more pokemon as they create the assets" thing seems a lot less likely.

That and it would need for GF to be less oddly averse to patching things. Bugfixes at most.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It is the least surprising thing in the world that legendaries would be topping that poll.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Same as USUM, less than XY. More than Sun and Moon, tho!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

If I remember correctly, it was announced before the poll happened that the winner would be given away as an event, which is why so many people voted for mythicals.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
That poll essentially got raided so people could get free legendaries from a giveaway. It's not really indicative of actual preferences aside from "which legendary did they want the most."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dienes posted:

I want to see the bottom hundred and take a drink for each one that survived Dexit.

Reddit had a “who’s your favorite poll” and they had an honorary list of those pokemon that had a single vote.

EDIT: Actually the following 4 pokemon got zero votes :lol: :
- Silcoon
- Gothita
- Elektrik
- Yungoos

(Some of their evos did get votes).

These pokemon only got 1 vote:

Pokémon Votes
Exeggcute 1
Baltoy 1
Skorupi 1
Patrat 1
Sewaddle 1
Alomomola 1
Trumbeak 1
Cosmoem 1

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

These pokemon only got 1 vote:

Baltoy 1
hosed UP.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Congratulations to Alomomola on being the only non-NFE pokemon to get a single vote or less.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Soooo many Ice-types! Maybe they'll have made it less poo poo this generation? :shepicide:

Extremely happy about my boy Cofagrigus getting attention, too. Apart from no Porygon this gen has been great for my favorite 'mons and types.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Ah, yes, my favorite evolutionary line: Pichu-Infernape-Raichu.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
wait, the pun caterpillar isn't even a bug type :psyduck:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MonsterEnvy posted:

And much bigger than all other regional dexs.

Same number as USUM, and USUM has ~150 more Pokemon you can catch outside of the regional dex, not even counting megas.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

so many terrible legendaries

what the hell japan

E:

Araxxor posted:

That poll essentially got raided so people could get free legendaries from a giveaway. It's not really indicative of actual preferences aside from "which legendary did they want the most."

oh wait that explains it

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 4, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Except there were still Pokemon that beat out those legendaries despite that limitation.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

so many terrible legendaries

what the hell japan

If I remember correctly, they said upfront the winner of the vote would be distributed as a shiny event mon or whatever, and as such it horribly skewed all the votes

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'll admit, its both kind of nice and kind of sad they didn't just cram in the LPGE list. It shows this is a creative decision on Gamefreak's part to trim the lists rather than entirely being due to asset creation, for better or for worse.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Licarn posted:

wait, the pun caterpillar isn't even a bug type :psyduck:

It's not actually a caterpillar!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Those multisegment Pokemon always weird me out

How come you can only keep one tiny Caterpie in a Pokeball but all three Dugtrio, six Exeggcute, and however many of those guys get to ride together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'd say the likelihood of there only being three legends is low. Remember that we're working off of someone's playthrough, and a lot of legendary Pokemon are in out of the way places or reserved to the post-game. I'm assuming this person sped through the game as quick as possible. It's why we're still getting new Pokemon up to today with the penguin and such.