Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Theresa May inspired boss, in her skin tight leopard skin cat suit...

That would definitely make me ashamed of my words and deeds. Just generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

unoriginal, fallouts existed for decades

Nah Fallout had guns and intrigue. Everything I've seen about Death Stranding makes it look like a really drawn out walking simulator across barren landscapes where there's a shared feeling of dread and that you're just wasting your time. The real British experience.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1191404112249860096?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Had another chat with my parents about the upcoming election. They're amused by the Tory shitfest that is the start of their campaign and they're angry about the Lib Dem outright lies, but I can't get them enthused about Jezza. Though they'll still vote for Labour here, but they both think Corbs has a virulent hatred of the EU and is a secret, ardent Leaver, and my step-dad outright doesn't believe he'll give us a second referendum.

I mean if they'll vote that's what really matters but I have NO idea how you'd get through to those kinds of beliefs.
Brexit has poisoned the discourse so that the only thing that matters is whether you're Leave or Remain. Dennis Skinner is Leave but doesn't want a catastrophic Tory Brexit and tbh I'd take a Skinner government that leaves the EU and socializes a whole bunch of stuff over a(n equally likely) Swinson government that does the opposite of both.

OwlFancier posted:

I guess ask why they have them, fundamentally the thing that inocculates me against a lot of the poo poo is basic marxism that leads me to disbelieve basically everything that comes out of a paper or a tv screen.

If you don't have that it's gonna be hard.
And yet Karl Marx wrote for a newspaper!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also Lindsay Hoyle is not nearly as female as I expected

Fleetwood Mac did a lot to dispel nominal gender norms back in the day. Show people a picture - one of these people is called Lindsey, the other is called Stevie. You can go your own way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I was gonna pitch the labour brexit position to someone it'd be basically on the same terms as it works for me. I don't really care one way or another about brexit, what I don't want is the tories killing a shitload of people by forgetting to secure insulin imports or whatever, they're morons and can't be trusted to do anything like that.

Labour are much less likely to produce a lovely deal and if they do, you get a chance to vote it down. Seems like by far the most sensible way to handle it, plus they're actually bothering with all these other policies that will address the actual problems in the country.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I guess ask why they have them, fundamentally the thing that inocculates me against a lot of the poo poo is basic marxism that leads me to disbelieve basically everything that comes out of a paper or a tv screen.

If you don't have that it's gonna be hard.

Yeah but they think that's where they are currently, sensibly disbeliving and sceptical, especially of politicians.

e; They have drunk somewhat of the fubpee well and believe Brexit is the only issue that matters atm, and leaving will make doing anything else impossible so it doesn't matter whether it's Tories or Labour who actually do it because we'd be equally hosed.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 4, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

get hype with me fam

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

When the election was called, polls were indicating Tory majority of around 70.

This poll indicates Tory majority of 40 before adjusting for Scotland's own voting split, and based on the last Scotland only poll, that's down to 26. Could be as low as 18 if the Lib Dem vote suffers in Scotland since the last poll too.

We're well on our way, and the actual election period doesn't start till Wednesday!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah but they think that's where they are currently, sensibly disbeliving and sceptical, especially of politicians.

Sure, but I think the trick is getting people to think a layer back from that. That politics doesn't start and stop at people who advertise themselves as politicians.

I really think LTV is the best loving thing you can teach anyone because it's such an easy and powerful gateway to viewing the rest of the world as political.

If I was a labour government I'd put LTV in the school curriculum and on the BBC.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah Fallout had guns and intrigue. Everything I've seen about Death Stranding makes it look like a really drawn out walking simulator across barren landscapes where there's a shared feeling of dread and that you're just wasting your time. The real British experience.

i kinda want to play it, because i like slow paced games. But if its how you describe it I also play games to escape reality.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

Sure, but I think the trick is getting people to think a layer back from that. That politics doesn't start and stop at people who advertise themselves as politicians.

I really think LTV is the best loving thing you can teach anyone because it's such an easy and powerful gateway to viewing the rest of the world as political.

If I was a labour government I'd put LTV in the school curriculum and on the BBC.

which ltv though

the naive versions are idiotic

any coherent versions are colossally complex - single system, dual system, what?

in the uk analytical marxism tends to hold sway and it is prone to jettisoning LTV and TRPF entirely

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Speakers election ROUND 2:

575 Ballots cast (therefore 288 needed)

Lindsay Hoyle: 244
Eleanor Lang: 122
Chris Bryant: 120
Harriett Harman: 59
Rosie Winterton: 30

Process goes to ROUND 3

There is an opportunity for candidates to withdraw should they wish.

Rosie Winterton will be eliminated regardless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea that your boss decides what you earn, literally cannot pay you what your labour is worth, and all of this happens just because they have money (that they almost certainly didn't earn to begin with) is not remotely idiotic, and is in fact 100% true.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
it'd be worth it to see children try to explain to their parents that actually being a nurse or teacher isn't technically productive labour, and furthermore...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
e: nvm

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

mehall posted:

I am going to be on Question Time this week.

The question I think that I might get to ask is "Since the Lib Dems are the most vocal proponents of tactical voting, why are they so reticent to stand aside when it's the right thing to do, even if other parties won't reciprocate?"

As someone who went to QT earlier this year and submitted a similar sort of question... don't bother. They won't ask a question phrased like that. Try "Why are Labour so scared of tactical voting?" instead, and you're gold. Then "accidentally" say Lib Dems if they ask you to explain why the question isn't what they expected, you can elaborate as they'll be confused why you're not bashing Labour like everyone else will be.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ronya posted:

No poo poo, really? The neoliberal doesn't like the theory that says workers contribute more than they earn, whom among us could have guessed?

Not exactly a stunner it's not a key part of PPE courses.

HJB posted:

Fleetwood Mac did a lot to dispel nominal gender norms back in the day. Show people a picture - one of these people is called Lindsey, the other is called Stevie. You can go your own way.

Just want you to know how much I hate you far reminding me that Fleetwood Mac existed and we're dogshit. You swine.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ronya posted:

which ltv though

any coherent versions are colossally complex - single system, dual system, what?

in the uk analytical marxism tends to hold sway and it is prone to jettisoning LTV and TRPF entirely

hnnm the best way to convince politically unengaged people of the observable fact that rich people are exploiting them is to break out the blackboard and chalk and start drawing weird functions and equations all over the place, you're right :awesome:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Harriett Harman has withdrawn!

Round 3 will be between

Chris Bryant
Eleanor Lang
Lindsay Hoyle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like who cares if it doesn't perfectly map to all jobs, your boss dictates everything about your work and necessarily screws you out of the value of what you produce, which they can do because they're your boss and have more money than you. This breeds proper animosity between people and their bosses, and people and capitalist society.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

forkboy84 posted:

Just want you to know how much I hate you far reminding me that Fleetwood Mac existed and we're dogshit. You swine.

I half-expected you to post a response like this, I just didn't think it would be so soon. It's reassuring that you hate them, put it that way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

They have drunk somewhat of the fubpee well and believe Brexit is the only issue that matters atm, and leaving will make doing anything else impossible so it doesn't matter whether it's Tories or Labour who actually do it because we'd be equally hosed.
How can they live in Leicester and look around and believe that Brexit is the only issue that matters? Did Brexit shut the shops and use all the public services and put homeless people on the streets? Giant mobile Brexits fly tipping everywhere.

OwlFancier posted:

I'd start off with the idea that personal issues are systemic issues and also that all the land is stolen. Then the reading list from the OP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1191382561504645121

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

The idea that your boss decides what you earn, literally cannot pay you what your labour is worth, and all of this happens just because they have money is not remotely idiotic, and is in fact 100% true.

the last time someone posted the twitter idiot version of not grasping the concept of cost of capital, you remarked it was baby's first LTV

now I am wondering whether you actually think this is the LTV

which is ... uh... disappointing, I guess

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looking at Lindsay Hoyle's voting record, he seems to be a bit of a tool.

Am I missing some exonerating circumstance here?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

:wrong:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ronya posted:

the last time someone posted the twitter idiot version of not grasping the concept of cost of capital, you remarked it was baby's first LTV

now I am wondering whether you actually think this is the LTV

which is ... uh... disappointing, I guess

It's the important part of LTV and given that whatever your understanding is produced... you... I'm unconvinced of its utility.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Should clarify, they were fine until Peter Green left, then they turned into soft rock tedium

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lindsey's the MP who took a photograph of themselves not watching the Rugby in their massive empty living room where the Tea was out of reach.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Should clarify, they were fine until Peter Green left, then they turned into soft rock tedium

Although that's the common opinion from dads who read Melody Maker, it's actually the opposite way around. If I never hear Albatross again in my life that's fine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1191414177295949825?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1191418825062965255?s=20

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

It's the important part of LTV and given that whatever your understanding is produced... you... I'm unconvinced of its utility.

it's not - in a Marxist context, capital is still an input into the means of production, capital goods are produced, and capital goods are paid for. The organic composition of capital under communism is not zero. It doesn't make any sense in a Marxist framework

The absolutely minimal version of the LTV can hinge on the concept of capital as dead labour and to argue that the dead labour is stolen in some long original-sin misappropriation, but that still acknowledges that constant capital comes from somewhere

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

forkboy84 posted:

Sorry, hold up, cancel all other discussions.

What

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's not just any dogshit, it's M&S dogshit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looking forward to Jo Swinson suing Vince Cable for saying she doesn't have a realistic chance of being the next PM.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Who is Lindsay Hoyle? Why is he the runaway favourite to become speaker?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Extremely normal rugby watcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because you're asking who he is.

Speaker is generally someone who's been in parliament a while, and hasn't done anything particularly significant.