Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Ultimately it's pointless to give a red card based on the resultant injury, if a major point of cards is to disincentivize similar behaviour.

Loads of tackles like that will have gone in across all levels this weekend, the majority of which resulting in yellow cards and no injury.

It's extremely unlikely a challenge of that nature will cause serious injury, which is why most players will be willing to put them in. The threat of a red card on top is not going to make anyone think twice, because the odds are so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Careful bud, we're getting close to making sense.

That's dangerous around here.

poo poo, thanks for the warning.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's nowhere in the rules and makes absolutely no sense, the offence is on the *likelihood* of causing severe injury. Should the guy holding back Henrik Larsson when his leg exploded* have got a red? After all it was a foul, and it led to serious injury. What about if a goalie knocks himself out on the post after saving a shot that turned out to be handball**? That's a yellow card offence but it led to a serious injury. On the other side, if a player goes in high over the ball with both feet at knee height and doesn't cause an injury - or even misses the other player altogether - is that now just a yellow card or even a waved play on?

* Yes I know this is a hella old reference but it kinda sticks in your head when you've seen it
** Actual example from a few years ago but buggered if I can find it on such a vague recollection

I didn't say it was in the rules. I'm stating it's completely just for the booking to be upgraded to a red, given it was simply a cynical "tactical" foul that resulted in the player getting a horrific injury. I'm also stating that this should always be the case, because the so called "dark arts" are annoying as gently caress. I agree with the judgement used by the referee.

To be clear I am happy with what the ref did and am stating that because I feel that if you're going to break the rules to "take one for the team" you'd better be prepared for that "one" to be a red instead of a free shot at it yellow if the result of the tactical foul is the player you targeted ends up injured.

What the gently caress that has to do with a handball is beyond me. Not all fouls are created equal and no, the obviously dangerous tackles shouldn't be downgraded to a yellow just because the player wasn't hurt.

A player's career may be ended as a direct result of shithousery and there are very serious concerns about Son getting a red and a short suspension over it :psyduck:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Are we forgetting that the injury didn’t even occur from the Son foul, but from Aurier’s studs on Gomes’s leg afterwards?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He crushed his own ankle after colliding with Aurier, I don't think it had anything to do with studs.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Bundy posted:

I didn't say it was in the rules. I'm stating it's completely just for the booking to be upgraded to a red, given it was simply a cynical "tactical" foul that resulted in the player getting a horrific injury. I'm also stating that this should always be the case, because the so called "dark arts" are annoying as gently caress. I agree with the judgement used by the referee.

To be clear I am happy with what the ref did and am stating that because I feel that if you're going to break the rules to "take one for the team" you'd better be prepared for that "one" to be a red instead of a free shot at it yellow if the result of the tactical foul is the player you targeted ends up injured.

What the gently caress that has to do with a handball is beyond me. Not all fouls are created equal and no, the obviously dangerous tackles shouldn't be downgraded to a yellow just because the player wasn't hurt.

A player's career may be ended as a direct result of shithousery and there are very serious concerns about Son getting a red and a short suspension over it :psyduck:

This is really stupid.

The consequences for fouls shouldn't be linked to whether a player in a horrific accident is injured, if you want tactical fouls out of the game make them a straight red regardless of whether the other player manages to get their ankle stuck under them self and explodes their leg.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Vegetable posted:

He gave the yellow immediately after the challenge, before the injury became clear and before Son started weeping non-stop about it

I'd be pretty broken up too, that poo poo sucks.

I feel awful for Serg Aurier, who basically did most of the damage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

c0burn posted:

There's a rumour has reffing our game Vs City next week. Dear god no

he's reffing newcastle vs bournemouth

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Poor bastards.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

fat gay nonce posted:

This is really stupid.

The consequences for fouls shouldn't be linked to whether a player in a horrific accident is injured, if you want tactical fouls out of the game make them a straight red regardless of whether the other player manages to get their ankle stuck under them self and explodes their leg.

Agree to disagree I guess, as far as I'm concerned I see no problem with professional fouls being at least a yellow, and a red at ref's discretion if a serious injury occurs as a result. :shrug:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Xabi posted:

Poor bastards.

We've yet to have var give or take something away despite there being good reason to so I guess it's finally time

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Bundy posted:

Agree to disagree I guess, as far as I'm concerned I see no problem with professional fouls being at least a yellow, and a red at ref's discretion if a serious injury occurs as a result. :shrug:

Maybe not an EPL ref's discretion, tho

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah. It can be hard not to confuse bad and wrong, especially when it looks like a career-ender.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The Everton site says he should make a full recovery. gently caress man, I hope so.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m not sure how they can say that other than just being extremely positive. It’s so early there could be a million complications.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m not sure how they can say that other than just being extremely positive. It’s so early there could be a million complications.

probably saying that barring no crazy complications it's possible for him to make a full recovery - which is something in and of itself

Lemon
May 22, 2003

It looked horrific, but from what I've read it was a single fracture and a disolocation. Both things which are, depending on severity obviously, recoverable from in due course.

Eduardo had an open fibula fracture and an open dislocation of his ankle and was back playing within a year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lemon posted:

It looked horrific, but from what I've read it was a single fracture and a disolocation. Both things which are, depending on severity obviously, recoverable from in due course.

Eduardo had an open fibula fracture and an open dislocation of his ankle and was back playing within a year.

Yeah but despite making a “full recovery” Eduardo was a shell of his former self.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even if his leg miraculously heals he will be different mentally in how he approaches the game.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Eduardo was never the same, except for that one goal.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Even if his leg miraculously heals he will be different mentally in how he approaches in the game.

Yeah, there's an underlying fear they never seem to shake. Ramsey got over it but it took years.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Eduardo's leg blew up. That was some gruesome poo poo. And I've had food in London

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I imagine watching your foot fall off changes your approach to life a bit

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Aaron Ramsey came back to play wonderfully after a full leg break, but different person/body and he was a decent amount younger.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ramsey took a very long time to get back to a decent level. For the many months after he came back he still looked a shadow of his former self.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

All very true, but there's reason to hope that he will be able to come back and play at a decent level at some point rather than have his career permanently ended.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gomes' injury is considerably less severe than Ramsey's though, right? Ramsey broke his tibia and fibula in half.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

Gomes' injury is considerably less severe than Ramsey's though, right? Ramsey broke his tibia and fibula in half.

With the ankle, I believe it'll come down to how much damage the soft tissue took and how well it heals.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Aren't clean breaks halfway along the bone better/easier to heal? An ankle is a mess of different moving parts.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sonny got his red card overturned:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/tottenham-hotspur/story/3981772/tottenhams-heung-min-son-has-red-card-for-tackle-on-andres-gomes-overturned

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
shameful

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Might not have been successful but I can't remember the last time a Newcastle player tried this kind of thing

Not sure how to embed this on my phone

https://gfycat.com/costlytightheterodontosaurus

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Grant Chaka has been stripped of the Arsenal captaincy in favor of Aubameyang, who is rumored to be displeased with Emery’s general shiftiness.

E wrong thread

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jose posted:

Might not have been successful but I can't remember the last time a Newcastle player tried this kind of thing

Not sure how to embed this on my phone

https://gfycat.com/costlytightheterodontosaurus

there's an android app if you roll that way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Phwoar it’s almost time for Watford v Norwich

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'm tuning in!!!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
hello i just signed up to pay tv and my first match is *checks notes*

UnderFreddy