Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

explosivo posted:

Luigi's Mansion question: Is there any benefit to actually sucking up the ghosts vs. killing them by bashing them into the ground? I know E. Gadd has his ghost computer thing in his lab that you put the ghosts into but wasn't sure if like it only counted the ones I sucked up or if it's just a different way to kill the ghost.

Yeah I didn't like the idea that he was willing these ghosts now but I can confirm that reducing them to zero with a slam still counts as sucking them up, they still get put in the containment unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Artelier posted:

congratulations that is an achievement!

i myself have gotten second so many times and i hate you aaaaaaaaa

Same. I'm terminably in the top 3. But I only really play for skins these days. If I really tried I'm confident I could do it maybe.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I sent my launch joycons and a photocopied receipt back to Nintendo UK at the beginning of last week, and with a quick turnaround and no repair charges to pay, today I received...

...just the left one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The more people talk about BotW the gladder I am I just went and immediately won my first time against Ganon after killing only one guardian

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1191392159305359360?s=21
This game is getting a second longer demo tomorrow. How long does it take to get to this point?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The more people talk about BotW the gladder I am I just went and immediately won my first time against Ganon after killing only one guardian

That's silly. We complain because it doesn't need to be praised it's so good. I'll poo poo on the combat but that I still have 200+ hours in-game of just sheer joy of traversing Hyrule and exploring and more exploring and probably even a good few dozen hours of enjoyable combat. If you had enough of the game after only one guardian then ok, it's not for you, but don't do yourself the disservice of not seeing the world.

Unless I guess you did it like me where you saw most of the world first before even tackling the plot. But even then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

This game is getting a second longer demo tomorrow. How long does it take to get to this point?

Does progress transfer over in the original demo?(therefore letting me assume it also would in this one?)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

did the switch performance for DB2 ever get improved by patches? it had some pretty bad slowdown at launch

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

explosivo posted:

Luigi's Mansion question: Is there any benefit to actually sucking up the ghosts vs. killing them by bashing them into the ground? I know E. Gadd has his ghost computer thing in his lab that you put the ghosts into but wasn't sure if like it only counted the ones I sucked up or if it's just a different way to kill the ghost.

The counter just tracks how many ghosts you've defeated. It doesn't care about the method, though there's one achievement involving defeating another ghost with a slam.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's silly. We complain because it doesn't need to be praised it's so good.

Yeah imho BotW is one of the greatest games of all time... but that doesn't mean it's perfect. With a few tweaks (more enemy types, more big dungeons, tweaks to durability system, better graphical performance at times) it would be 100% perfect. So, people talk about those four things a lot, because they're all that's keeping this "one of the best games ever" from being "the best game ever."

And this is coming from someone who dislikes almost every 3d Zelda!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's silly. We complain because it doesn't need to be praised it's so good. I'll poo poo on the combat but that I still have 200+ hours in-game of just sheer joy of traversing Hyrule and exploring and more exploring and probably even a good few dozen hours of enjoyable combat. If you had enough of the game after only one guardian then ok, it's not for you, but don't do yourself the disservice of not seeing the world.

Unless I guess you did it like me where you saw most of the world first before even tackling the plot. But even then.

I saw a good half of the eastern side but never went west outside wherever the plateau is

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah imho BotW is one of the greatest games of all time... but that doesn't mean it's perfect. With a few tweaks (more enemy types, more big dungeons, tweaks to durability system, better graphical performance at times) it would be 100% perfect. So, people talk about those four things a lot, because they're all that's keeping this "one of the best games ever" from being "the best game ever."

And this is coming from someone who dislikes almost every 3d Zelda!

same, except from someone who loves every zelda game (except skyward sword, the one bad zelda game)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Your Computer posted:

same, except from someone who loves every zelda game (except twilight princess, the one bad zelda game)
Agreed

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I need a charger that plugs directly from the Nintendo Switch to a power outlet, since one doesn't come with the console.

Will this suffice?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I need a charger that plugs directly from the Nintendo Switch to a power outlet, since one doesn't come with the console.

Will this suffice?

The power supply that plugs into the dock works.

Unless you’re talking about a Switch Lite...?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask, the lovely DS games, and Wind Waker are Bad Games

BotW is alright, 8/10

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One comes with the console, it's currently plugged into your dock.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The power supply that plugs into the dock works.

When I tried plugging it in to my Switch it didn't fit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there are no bad Zelda games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Augus posted:

My boy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

disagree

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's the HDMI cable, try the other one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Merkinman posted:

That's the HDMI cable, try the other one.
lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Every now and then I try to get back into BOTW but just fall off again for one reason or another. I just don't like how many systems there are like rain/cold, weapon degradation, food systems, that all feel like they're getting in the way of the exploration aspect of it. It's a huge open world but every time I boot it up again I'm in the middle of a rainstorm with no weapons and on top of a mountain or something like that and just don't want to deal with it so I wander around for a bit and go play something else.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

explosivo posted:

Every now and then I try to get back into BOTW but just fall off again for one reason or another. I just don't like how many systems there are like rain/cold, weapon degradation, food systems, that all feel like they're getting in the way of the exploration aspect of it. It's a huge open world but every time I boot it up again I'm in the middle of a rainstorm with no weapons and on top of a mountain or something like that and just don't want to deal with it so I wander around for a bit and go play something else.

Being on top of a mountain is literally the best possible place to be in BotW. Pick a spot that looks cool and glide there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's weird.

The way the game starts, you're on a monster ship and do some tutorial quests, and then shipwreck on a huge island that will eventually be your hub, but there's only a few building tutorials you can do before you get sent off to the first island, Furrowfield, which is where the game really starts.

The old demo let you play the monster ship, and then do some of the tutorial stuff on the hub island, but it said it wouldn't save any of it.

Basically this expanded demo lets you... complete the tutorial and save it.

Unless they mean you can actually do all of Furrowfield too, in which case it's like a third of the game with a self contained narrative and a very satisfying stopping point.

So either it's an underwhelming nothing announcement that they fixed the weird early cutoff of the old demo before the tutorial finished, or an amazing announcement that you basically get a complete free game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay but did it work when you tried it after posting this?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

explosivo posted:

The game starts off with your character being garbage with transversal being super arduous and almost annoying. But as your character "levels up" it becomes much more tolerable to the point of being highly enjoyable.

Some of the best parts of the game is the ability to discover what crazy shortcuts you can do.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Eiba posted:

That's weird.

The way the game starts, you're on a monster ship and do some tutorial quests, and then shipwreck on a huge island that will eventually be your hub, but there's only a few building tutorials you can do before you get sent off to the first island, Furrowfield, which is where the game really starts.

The old demo let you play the monster ship, and then do some of the tutorial stuff on the hub island, but it said it wouldn't save any of it.

Basically this expanded demo lets you... complete the tutorial and save it.

Unless they mean you can actually do all of Furrowfield too, in which case it's like a third of the game with a self contained narrative and a very satisfying stopping point.

So either it's an underwhelming nothing announcement that they fixed the weird early cutoff of the old demo before the tutorial finished, or an amazing announcement that you basically get a complete free game.

My guess is that they included the Furrowfield chapter, which I would say is more like 15% of the game content. Makes for an amazing demo though for sure! Highly recommend DQB2 to fans of mine craft, dwarf fortress, harvest moon, etc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turpitude posted:

My guess is that they included the Furrowfield chapter, which I would say is more like 15% of the game content. Makes for an amazing demo though for sure! Highly recommend DQB2 to fans of mine craft, dwarf fortress, harvest moon, etc

Cool, I'm looking forward to giving this a try. I really liked the demo for DQB1 but I remember hearing it was kinda lovely how you'd abandon your base to build a new one in the next zone, basically restarting from scratch for every zone so I ended up holding off. Is that how it works in this one too or did they change that?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

explosivo posted:

Cool, I'm looking forward to giving this a try. I really liked the demo for DQB1 but I remember hearing it was kinda lovely how you'd abandon your base to build a new one in the next zone, basically restarting from scratch for every zone so I ended up holding off. Is that how it works in this one too or did they change that?

You have bases to build up in each of the story islands, but then you also have a sort of home-base island that you are supposed to be returning to regularly. Building stuff on that island isn't really related to the story, but will net you achievements and new items.

And the hub island is super flexible compared to the other ones. You can pretty much build anywhere and any way that you want.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Botw is also fun on base stamina and hearts, the world is tuned around it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

Botw is also fun on base stamina and hearts, the world is tuned around it.

I never put a single upgrade into stamina because I was beelining the master sword, which I ended up not getting before winning the game anyway

(I assumed Ganon would own me lol, the real master sword was within me all along)

I hope BOTW2 is more Hyrule Castle stuff and less "ten billion ten dollar chests" stuff

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Turpitude posted:

I actually stalled out on the next island. I did not finding the mining characters charming (everyone, including the drat golem, lusting after the one woman was bleh), and felt less invested in building up their mining town, so it was kind of a slog to get through. I'll get back to it eventually, but that's my excuse for not knowing how long the game really is.

But yeah, if it is all of Furrowfield, then that's a lot of content and a great look at the game. And honestly a pretty good self contained story too with charming characters. One reason I dropped the game was that Furrowfield was so satisfying I didn't really feel a strong drive to continue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Augus posted:

did the switch performance for DB2 ever get improved by patches? it had some pretty bad slowdown at launch

I don't know what you consider pretty bad slowdown. I played the whole game and it really only chugged when there were a lot of things happening in addition to blocks to pick up. So like during combat if something happened to destroy a ton of ground I got some chug. Other than that it was fine

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hotline Miami and Katana zero are both on sale. If I want a game for a 8 hour bus ride, what would the the thread decide?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

So is luigis mansión a puzzle game or an action/platformer? I couldn’t figure it out from the preview in the eshop

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Snowmankilla posted:

Hotline Miami and Katana zero are both on sale. If I want a game for a 8 hour bus ride, what would the the thread decide?

I'd choose HM.

Achmed Jones posted:

So is luigis mansión a puzzle game or an action/platformer? I couldn’t figure it out from the preview in the eshop

It's neither really. It's more like a parody of classic RE games mixed with Ghostbusters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bit of both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Snowmankilla posted:

Hotline Miami