Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah like if you're going into heavy debt to get a job, it's best not to do things that prevent you from getting said job.

Like probably shouldn't be doing med school if you're going to be stealing drugs.
that's like a law school person scamming people to try and get rent money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

yeah like if you're going into heavy debt to get a job, it's best not to do things that prevent you from getting said job.

Like probably shouldn't be doing med school if you're going to be stealing drugs.
that's like a law school person scamming people to try and get rent money

From the OP in the comments:

quote:

I wouldn't be able to have it expunged although it is dismissed. It's for a violent felony from several years back and not drugs, however, I hope there's still some hope for me somehow.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay fine.. participate in violent felonies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he beat someone for drugs, but never got around to taking the drugs he was beating someone for.

Watching highly trained people lose the ability to monetize their very valuable and expensive skills will never get old. Lawyers seem to be the best at that, although doctors are pretty good at it too. Doing it before you make dollar one in your field though. :discourse:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Before we found out it was a violent felony (from several years back? Wtf, did he lie to admissions?), I was going to say it sounded like the 3rd or 4th year pharmacy student I worked with (briefly) while I was 17 or 18. He was obviously (to everyone except my oblivious minor self) abusing amphetamines and "flunked out" before graduating. He'd no-show for a shift, which wasn't really that big a deal since the guy was scheduled 15 hours a month or less and interns were largely useless anyway, then claim he'd slept for like 24 hours straight and had missed it. At the time all I knew was that he needed to get his poo poo together and that it seemed kind of odd that pharmacists would hand me keys to the safe to get what I needed, but they were hesitant to even let this pharmacy student count those drugs.

Ah, to be young and dumb again. Now I'm just old and dumb.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He probably attacked a staff member at the school.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
You know I'm all about having second chances after paying your debt to society, but I'm pretty sure committing a violent felony is one of those things that should generally disqualify you from being a medical professional.

I mean, what with the whole "do no harm" thing and all...

But drat $200k in student loan debt, the dude's hosed without an MD/whatever. I'd feel bad if it weren't for the fact that he brought it on himself.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

From the OP in the comments:

Ouch. Yeah, didn't see that one at the time I read it. :stonk:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My guess would be that if it was from years back and they still won't let him finish school it's probably a violent sex offence.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No need for the title or a link, just feast your eyes on the first part of the first sentence:

quote:

I know and understand the wisdom of not trying to time the market, but with the market at its peak

Post history includes:
- What plans have you put in place for your crypto in case you die?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Motronic posted:

No need for the title or a link, just feast your eyes on the first part of the first sentence:

:kiss:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tater_salad posted:

Okay fine.. participate in violent felonies.

Don't mind if I do!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

Post history includes:
- What plans have you put in place for your crypto in case you die?

That's uncharacteristically prescient for a crypto holder. I wonder how much crypto is going to effectively > /dev/null because people die and take their encryption keys with them.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

That's uncharacteristically prescient for a crypto holder. I wonder how much crypto is going to effectively > /dev/null because people die and take their encryption keys with them.

Ah you've stumbled on my crypto strategy. We'll see whos laughing in Q2 2081 when my holdings skyrocket. And its the only investment that does better the worst global warming gets.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

FateFree posted:

its the only investment that directly causes does better the worst global warming gets.

don't fact check my jokes

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Just chisel my private key on my tombstone plz.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Adhemar posted:

Just chisel my private key on my tombstone plz.

bury me with my bitcoin

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Didn't those Mt. Gox depositors actually make out like bandits? Because Buttcoins were still relatively cheap when the exchange closed all the remaining coins are now worth many times the pre-bankruptcy value.

Looking it up 850k Buttcoins were lost at about $500 a coin. They found 200k coins which have a current value of 1.8 billion. Even after lawyer and court fees they're looking at a 300% ROI. They also didn't have the opportunity to sell and buy coins at their peak and get a $80k tax bill. Whose laughing now.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't those Mt. Gox depositors actually make out like bandits? Because Buttcoins were still relatively cheap when the exchange closed all the remaining coins are now worth many times the pre-bankruptcy value.

Looking it up 850k Buttcoins were lost at about $500 a coin. They found 200k coins which have a current value of 1.8 billion. Even after lawyer and court fees they're looking at a 300% ROI. They also didn't have the opportunity to sell and buy coins at their peak and get a $80k tax bill. Whose laughing now.

Us

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are many important aspects to this. First, MtGox is not an online exchange for magic cards, it is an exchange for “magic the gathering online” cards. Second, Mark did nothing wrong. Third, you’re right; the butts left over after the Magic the Gathering Online Exchange crash are now “worth” more than what is owed, which is denominated in USD. Fourth, all customers at MtGox were issued IOUs for their butts, which were subsequently traded, so it is practically impossible to figure out who is owed what. Fifth, once the MtGox coins enters the market it will crash. In conclusion, now is a good time to be long on the LOLchain as there are many LOLs to be mined.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

klafbang posted:

There are many important aspects to this. First, MtGox is not an online exchange for magic cards, it is an exchange for “magic the gathering online” cards. Second, Mark did nothing wrong. Third, you’re right; the butts left over after the Magic the Gathering Online Exchange crash are now “worth” more than what is owed, which is denominated in USD. Fourth, all customers at MtGox were issued IOUs for their butts, which were subsequently traded, so it is practically impossible to figure out who is owed what. Fifth, once the MtGox coins enters the market it will crash. In conclusion, now is a good time to be long on the LOLchain as there are many LOLs to be mined.

Sixth, it's entirely possible that legally MtGox customers/creditors are owed the value of their butts at the moment of default not what they're worth now. Hopefully the japanese government will use the surplus to destroy anime forever.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I always assumed it was “Mount Gox”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

zelah posted:

Nope, it's MTGOx. There's always more, and it's always dumber. :v: (I pronounced it as Mt.Gox for ages too. Simpler days, before I learned things I really didn't need to know whatsoever and regretted learning.)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

zelah posted:

It rebranded itself as that when it pivoted away from magic cards, for obvious reasons of fooling people for a little while longer that they weren’t an absolute scam.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Sixth, it's entirely possible that legally MtGox customers/creditors are owed the value of their butts at the moment of default not what they're worth now. Hopefully the japanese government will use the surplus to destroy anime forever.

That makes sense. They can't give people the number of coins they lost and it'd be a mess trying to give them a percentage of the remaining value so they'd most likely give them the value of their accounts.

Also the Japanese government would use that surplus to create more anime.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/eToroUS/status/1189175006313533442?s=20

*edit*
Hmm it's not showing the video in this tweet that appears when you see it on twitter. cryptocurrency trading that lets you copy other people's trades

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Did someone say CRYYYYYPPOTOOOOO???

B.C. cryptocurrency exchange shuts doors owing more than $16M to customers

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Regulation is a sucker's game.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Plus his LCD monitor is broken.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
what sort of psychopath has a multi-monitor setup at his desk with an air gap between the screens

and why is his laptop centered but also below the screens

i cannot even begin to think of how the mouse moves between screens in any logical fashion.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

DaveSauce posted:

what sort of psychopath has a multi-monitor setup at his desk with an air gap between the screens

and why is his laptop centered but also below the screens

i cannot even begin to think of how the mouse moves between screens in any logical fashion.

You can set the screens to be offset so you have to move diagonally between them instead of horizontally.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My partner just told me she had paid $313,000 in student loans so far in the 5 years since finishing school. She has about $215,000 to go. :vomit:

I mean she is a doctor and it will work out long term... But still.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That seems extreme even for med school.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

totalnewbie posted:

That seems extreme even for med school.

Eh, $80k a year for 4 years plus whatever UG was. Plus it getting interest for those years.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoodwinker posted:

Regulation is a sucker's game.
I don't think I'll ever truly get crypto. I want my cash to be stable in value, well regulated, and be backed by the single most powerful institution on the planet. Those are all key selling points to me.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

I don't think I'll ever truly get crypto. I want my cash to be stable in value, well regulated, and be backed by the single most powerful institution on the planet. Those are all key selling points to me.
Are you sure you don't want your cash to be volatile, poorly regulated, and distributed across server farms in China? No? Any takers?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Speaking of tuition
https://www.twitter.com/hechingerreport/status/1189534821456011264

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I always expect the X axis of those tuition charts to go back to like the 60s or 70s, but nope, 2005.

Is there any point to saving for college for kids anymore? Seems like you might as well be pouring water into the ocean.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoodwinker posted:

Are you sure you don't want your cash to be volatile, poorly regulated, and distributed across server farms in China? No? Any takers?
Sure, as long as it is biased towards early adopters and forces me to interact with libertarians, I'm all on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I always expect the X axis of those tuition charts to go back to like the 60s or 70s, but nope, 2005.

Is there any point to saving for college for kids anymore? Seems like you might as well be pouring water into the ocean.

Well if you save enough to cover the traditional price of private school you can still send them to one of today's public institutions!

Oops, your state just slashed funding again somehow, looks like you're now $120,000 short.