Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And get booed by a horse.

I would love to see Trump near a horse, inevitably spooking by acting like a complete loving Martian. Does Trump even know what a horse is? Could he draw one?

E: we pg 900 out here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there any indication Trump actually likes sports? Because it seems lovely to inconvenience ever person that goes to the game just so he can sit there not having fun

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JayRiestenberg/status/1191450146107744259?s=20

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SalTheBard posted:

Is there any indication Trump actually likes sports? Because it seems lovely to inconvenience ever person that goes to the game just so he can sit there not having fun

He played a bunch in high school and college, he was apparently pretty decent at the time.

Also golf

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

fool_of_sound posted:

As much as I hate to roll the dice on Roberts, I think he's going to hesitate to permit anything that would reinforce the notion that the court is illegitimate and needs to be packed at this point. Refusing to help out Trump takes the wind out of the 'pack the court' sails among resistance types.
I would say it's more like helping Trump puts hurricane-force winds in that sail and not helping him out keeps the wind at around the current levels, but sure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I would say it's more like helping Trump puts hurricane-force winds in that sail and not helping him out keeps the wind at around the current levels, but sure.

this. roberts will let trump hang because anything that gives the president more powers/immunities will apply to a dem president and also roberts probably hates trump for various reasons. plus what you said.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm going with "grant cert, rule in favor in Trump, do that thing they do where they insist the ruling doesn't set any precedent."

Ugh, I forgot they can do this.

"We can rule anyway we like, no one is allowed to inspect the reasoning applied."

We either need an amendment that straight up says the SCOTUS can't do this or all parties voting in favor of the "non-precident precident" are required to resign effective immediately.

I wonder how many of those absurd rulings they can down before the country declares them illegitimate and demands they're all thrown out. I suspect quite a few, given how little attention the average American pays to the SCOTUS.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

yeah, sports might be one of his few hobbies. he spends all his time playing golf, he used to play baseball at a semi-pro level, and he liked boxing so much that he tried to get into boxing promotion as a side gig. also palling around with vince mcmahon, i mean trump was in wrestlemania

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1191467184880541696

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Xaiter posted:

"We can rule anyway we like, no one is allowed to inspect the reasoning applied."

We either need an amendment that straight up says the SCOTUS can't do this or all parties voting in favor of the "non-precident precident" are required to resign effective immediately.

I wonder how many of those absurd rulings they can down before the country declares them illegitimate and demands they're all thrown out. I suspect quite a few, given how little attention the average American pays to the SCOTUS.

"A justice is allowed to declare a ruling does not set precedent, and then will be exiled to the Cursed Earth on the Long Walk"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Some rich catholic psychos in MA have a bunch of anti-abortion and “evolution is bullshit, when you die you WILL see god” ads.

so happy to be on the VT side where billboards are just not allowed at all

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. roberts will let trump hang because anything that gives the president more powers/immunities will apply to a dem president and also roberts probably hates trump for various reasons. plus what you said.
Oh to be clear I think what I said in the other post is most likely. But it's only slightly more likely than the next most-likely thing, which is to not help Trump i.e. deny cert. I still think they will draw that out, though.

Helping Trump and making it a precedent-setting thing seems unlikely to me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

The Dragon of Budapest will never log off.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Dragon of Budapest used Imagine Dragons as his opening song?

...really universe? Really?

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

OAquinas posted:

"A justice is allowed to declare a ruling does not set precedent, and then will be exiled to the Cursed Earth on the Long Walk"

poo poo, we might able to actually sell it to the public like this. Chuds unironically love Dredd, right?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Xaiter posted:

IIRC the Court can be overruled by a 2/3rd Congress majority vote.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Good to see Trump is finally going to visit hurricane-ravaged Alabama

Appropriate, since he imagines he's a dragon

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TulliusCicero posted:

The Dragon of Budapest used Imagine Dragons as his opening song?

...really universe? Really?

Reminder that a whistleblower sent to prison was named Reality Winner, and Rudy's backchannel paymaster was named Fraud Guarantee.

The simulation has been low-efforting this for years.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

SalTheBard posted:

poo poo man there’s no indication he’s even capable of experiencing joy, he was supremely hosed in the head even before the dementia set in

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Xaiter posted:

I don't worry about this because there is precedent that's almost exactly on point here. This isn't a Bush/Gore exceptional situation. Presidents have been investigated, subpoenaed, and deposed before and The Court has ruled in all of these areas. This isn't new poo poo, Trump's team is simply abusing the appeals process as a delay tactic. They are not advancing serious arguments.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tatsuta Age posted:

"Surely THIS is the one place he won't get booed" - WH staffers
Oh, they'll be plenty of white sheets but very few boos in Alabama.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

luxury handset posted:

yeah, sports might be one of his few hobbies. he spends all his time playing golf, he used to play baseball at a semi-pro level, and he liked boxing so much that he tried to get into boxing promotion as a side gig. also palling around with vince mcmahon, i mean trump was in wrestlemania
He also tried to buy an NFL team and also before that owned a USFL team and failed miserably to sue the NFL for anti-trust violations (yes technically he won but the damages awarded were literally $3 and the USFL folded from all of the legal costs)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

theflyingorc posted:

He played a bunch in high school and college, he was apparently pretty decent at the time.

Also golf

He should go to some golf games because people can't make a sound there. He'll probably think the clapping would be for him each time a golfer makes it on the green.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just drove past an “Any Competent Adult 2020” election lawn sign

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump has insisted in the past that he was one of the best high school baseball players in the state which is undoubtably a hilarious lie.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1191468435370315776

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We still don’t have a reason for why he did that IIRC

Power, basically:

https://danieledmorrison.journoportfolio.com/articles/fear-and-loathing-of-wealthy-white-real-estate-investors/

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has insisted in the past that he was one of the best high school baseball players in the state which is undoubtably a hilarious lie.

Hilariously enough he was talent scouted, so he was somewhat good. It's one of his only lies that has any truth to it

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

Oh, they'll be plenty of white sheets but very few boos in Alabama.

:hmmyes:

Sub Par posted:

I don't worry about this because there is precedent that's almost exactly on point here. This isn't a Bush/Gore exceptional situation. Presidents have been investigated, subpoenaed, and deposed before and The Court has ruled in all of these areas. This isn't new poo poo, Trump's team is simply abusing the appeals process as a delay tactic. They are not advancing serious arguments.

I’m no lawyer but everything I’ve read so far seems to be saying that “yes, in a vacuum where we have zero experience with laws, the world suddenly popping into existence with the constitution and CFR in tow, that if you look at its reflection from this funhouse mirror, Trump has a defense”. Just as you say, it looks like they’re buying time for an escape.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

i am harry posted:

Just drove past an “Any Competent Adult 2020” election lawn sign

We count those for Bernie

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also tried to buy an NFL team and also before that owned a USFL team and failed miserably to sue the NFL for anti-trust violations (yes technically he won but the damages awarded were literally $3 and the USFL folded from all of the legal costs)

Wasn't he involved in the XFL 1.0 too?

Edit- I would like to live in the timeline where Donald Trump is a successful baseball player and not president, please

ummel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 4, 2019

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

ummel posted:

Wasn't he involved in the XFL 1.0 too?

yup

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's loving hilarious that the US can bomb a country so hard there are no houses left to live in and then hold a generally fair election in it a few years later

If Afghanistan and Iraq pass as "generally fair elections" then I don't see problems with the US, fraud and voter suppression are more common in both countries (not even counting the prospect of Taliban coming to cut your finger if it's covered in ink).

Grenada might count but it wasn't bombed very hard.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

luxury handset posted:

Those are still some of the worst punches I have ever seen, and I'm including Shane Mcmahon on that list as well.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

UnknownTarget posted:

IIRC the Court can be overruled by a 2/3rd Congress majority vote.

Well, no - if something is deemed unconstitutional the remedy for that is a constitutional amendment which requires a bit more than that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Riptor posted:

Well, no - if something is deemed unconstitutional the remedy for that is a constitutional amendment which requires a bit more than that

The point, I think, is that Congress can impeach and remove justices, with the same requirements as a president. Do that a few times, have them replaced by a sympathetic president (or don’t), and send the issue before them again.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's absolutely wild that voter suppression is such an accepted part of politics that it's barely ever mentioned in everyday media coverage

I live in Florida and I have a feeling that some of our very close elections get decided by voter suppression. The other thing that is enraging is that Kemp oversaw his own election and no doubt pulled some shifty business with the voter rolls.

I guess that is what a party that is losing support has to do because their voter base is dying off and they choose not to change their platform to be more suitable to the voters out there.'

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Tim Raines IRL posted:

so happy to be on the VT side where billboards are just not allowed at all

Drove through some no-billboard country visiting family last year and god drat it makes travel so much nicer. Even if the view is just some hills and cows it's immeasurably better than McDonalds ads and anti-choice propaganda.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

haveblue posted:

The point, I think, is that Congress can impeach and remove justices, with the same requirements as a president. Do that a few times, have them replaced by a sympathetic president (or don’t), and send the issue before them again.

Oh right that's one way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm going with "grant cert, rule in favor in Trump, do that thing they do where they insist the ruling doesn't set any precedent."

nah, for Bush v Gore, they had a plausible argument to hang their hat on. This one's just bananas, and it has the added drawback of not really meaning anything (tax returns wont be public anyway). Roberts saves his bullets for when it counts.