Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

They're west coasters, they're probably still at lunch.

(This is a joke, but our west coast office does take markedly longer lunches than us easterners.)

Y’all ever notice how on the west coast they eat lunch like this, but on the east coast they eat lunch like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone think there's even enough data to warrant a ban?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/magemarket/status/1191305991175966720?s=20

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Does anyone think there's even enough data to warrant a ban?

[quote="Toshimo" post="499719692"]
https://twitter.com/magemarket/status/1191305991175966720?s=20

Brave of them to outsource development of the ban list to the Something Awful MTG Arena thread. Yes I know it’s fake that was a joke.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

YES I KNOW IT'S FAKE but to me, a walkerless format is way more interesting than a fetchless format, but i'd also love it if there was a creatureless format so idk

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
i wouldn't mind if pioneer had no planeswalkers, there is no individual card that i would miss

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t either but I also don’t want Planeswalker crybabies to win.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
But seriously why isn’t there a walkerless format? Don’t say Pauper

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Koirhor posted:

Because Planeswalkers sell and they want to sell Planeswalkers so they’re going to stuff them down everyone’s throat as much as they can

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Koirhor posted:

Pauper has 3 Planeswalkers:

1. Urza, the Tower
  2. Urza, the Mine
  3. Urza, the Power Plant

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Don't retweet this person/company

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ShaneB posted:

Don't retweet this person/company

So are these guys garbage? Not sure about them sponsoring Ben Stark.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Not a fan of Pacific time

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koirhor posted:

The same reason there isn't a creatureless, sorceryless, instantless, enchantmentless, or artifactless format

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Going to laugh if it's no changes to standard and pioneer but a ban on opal in modern.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

Going to laugh if it's no changes to standard and pioneer but a ban on opal in modern.

I want to hang this post on my wall with the caption of "Top 10 Poster by Volume in Thread is Completely Clueless to Current Events".

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010
This is so half-assed.

I assume the bans aren't in effect same day?
My LGS has their Pioneer tournaments scheduled for Monday 7 CST so cards could be getting banned only a couple hours before it starts..

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What’s wrong with Magemarket? It looks like a good app.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ChromiumCrush posted:

This is so half-assed.

My LGS has their Pioneer tournaments scheduled for Monday 7 CST so cards could be getting banned only a couple hours before it starts..

They should probably reschedule, or agree to use the pre-Monday banlist for their events

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I want to hang this post on my wall with the caption of "Top 10 Poster by Volume in Thread is Completely Clueless to Current Events".

lol that’ll show em

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ChromiumCrush posted:

This is so half-assed.

There is nothing WotC can do to make your LGS less dumb.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wrong about something? Guess what bitch you’re ending up on my wall.

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

Toshimo posted:

There is nothing WotC can do to make your LGS less dumb.

lol how is having a tournament Monday night at 7 dumb?
Plenty of stores do Modern on Mondays despite the risk of a same day ban.

WotC could announce the B&R in the morning or at a predisclosed time so people can plan accordingly?

Devor posted:

They should probably reschedule, or agree to use the pre-Monday banlist for their events

They settled on Monday prior to the ban announcement, so maybe things will change, but it isn't like this is an issue for other formats.
I don't think they can agree to use a different ban list in a sanctioned tournament.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The article link is on Wizard's site now, just gives an Access Denied when you click on it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

qbert posted:

The article link is on Wizard's site now, just gives an Access Denied when you click on it.

:f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ChromiumCrush posted:

WotC could announce the B&R in the morning or at a predisclosed time so people can plan accordingly?

I mean your LGS has known that this was the first ban date since at least last week, so unless they’re specifying that this ban announcement will not effect the tournament then yeah they are kinda being dipshits

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Felidar Guardian is banned.

Leyline of Abundance is banned.

Oath of Nissa is banned.

Oath of Nissa? :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ChromiumCrush posted:

They settled on Monday prior to the ban announcement, so maybe things will change, but it isn't like this is an issue for other formats.
I don't think they can agree to use a different ban list in a sanctioned tournament.

they announced that all pioneer b+r announcements would be on mondays basically since the format was created so it's on your LGS that they scheduled their pioneer tourneys then

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sickening posted:

Felidar Guardian is banned.

Leyline of Abundance is banned.

Oath of Nissa is banned.

Oath of Nissa? :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Where is this from?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
wow

gently caress

oath

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's up, and confusing as heck.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/november-4-2019-pioneer-banned-announcement?s

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

qbert posted:

Where is this from?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/november-4-2019-pioneer-banned-announcement?s

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Lol get owned that guy who bought thousands of dollars worth of saheeli

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I'd rather they target Leyline than Nykthos. Nykthos is fun as heck

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

flatluigi posted:

they announced that all pioneer b+r announcements would be on mondays basically since the format was created so it's on your LGS that they scheduled their pioneer tourneys then

They announced that last week.
Plenty of stores hold tournaments for any given format on a Monday - even when a B&R is scheduled.

Stores shouldn't have to keep Mondays clear just in case WotC is dragging rear end.

Fortunately, WotC agrees that same day bans would muck things up so it looks like Pioneer bans take effect the following Friday.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Devor posted:

I'd rather they target Leyline than Nykthos. Nykthos is fun as heck

While true, can't wait for what nexus decks are going to do from hear on out. We are going to have to endure oko now a lot more as well. :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Over the past weeks, we've been thrilled to watch the community embrace the launch of the new Pioneer format. As we've previously stated, our plan is to watch the evolution of the metagame closely and make agile changes as needed, with possible updates each Monday for the time being. Our goal with these early changes is to promote diverse deck strategies and healthy gameplay, whether or not there is a clear overpowered deck.

In this case there are two decks that are head and shoulders above the field: Four-Color Copy Cat and Green Devotion Ramp. These two decks have earned the most 5-0 league finishes on Magic Online and have problematically high win rates against the field. Both decks feature play patterns that would reduce metagame diversity over time. Based on Magic Online data, we don’t believe that regular metagame pressure alone will be enough to keep these strategies in check. As a result, we are banning Felidar Guardian, Leyline of Abundance, and Oath of Nissa.

The Felidar Guardian/Saheeli Rai combination threatens metagame diversity by requiring decks to present specific types of early interaction while developing their own strategy or else immediately lose the game. Rather than allow this combination to warp deck building and the metagame around it, we're choosing to ban a card. Of the two options, Felidar Guardian is the most likely to break again with existing or future cards.

Leyline of Abundance not only enables explosive ramp starts on its own but also provides two devotion for no mana cost to power up Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. Our hope is that in the long term, Nykthos can add diversity to the metagame as a part of fun and healthy devotion strategies. Therefore, we're choosing to ban Leyline of Abundance as the card that enables the deck's fastest, most powerful opening turns.

As a powerful card-selection tool that also brings other synergies by leaving a permanent on the battlefield, Oath of Nissa has been a strong contributor to the strength and consistency of these and other strong decks. It's likely that Oath of Nissa would continue to exacerbate problematic strategies going forward. It also greatly contributes to the consistency of strategies that utilize a large number of three-mana planeswalkers in a way that can create unhealthy play patterns. For these reasons, we believe Pioneer will be a more fun and diverse format without Oath of Nissa.

Note that we will continue to make Pioneer announcements every Monday—whether or not we have changes—for the time being. Eventually, Pioneer updates will become aligned with our normal banned and restricted announcements. We'll announce when that switch will take place in the final weekly Pioneer format announcement.

We'll be watching closely for the next steps in the development of the metagame. We look forward to watching you all continue to enjoy this amazing new format!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There wizards goes again, banning the best cantrip in formats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

There wizards goes again, banning the best cantrip in formats

Once Upon a Time is still legal.