Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

d0grent posted:

what's the consensus on appropriate amount of lane taxing by the jungler?

99% of the time if you kill the other laner i want you to kill the entire wave as fast as humanly possible. the other 1% is like, if they dont have teleport and i have a really good freeze going (pretty rare)

anything else is stupid but realistically taxing a lane in solo queue is a good way to get stupid babies to ragequit so probably dont do it

Monicro posted:

I partially agree with this but ganking is ultimately about creating an advantage for your laner, and if you're leeching a lot of gold/xp from them in the process you're deadening your own impact (especially if you got the kill/your laner had to use summs/etc) and thats absolutely something worth being cognizant of

ok but sharing lane experience is better for the entire team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On the lane tax talk still, I also want to point out to be careful about it when your teammate has a fragile mental state, as a example, just had a game where I killed mid and jungle at 4 minutes 2 for 0 with mid getting assists, I then shoved the lane and took the siege cannon gold, that caused mid to have a mental breakdown and ragequit, rejoin, swap to bottom lane, then spend the next 25 minutes bringing up the fact I took his gold and ruined his lane forever and ever and ever.

Still won.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
If they're like that there is no 'being careful' about their mental state as anyone who's that much of a giant baby is going to have a meltdown regardless of what happens

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
if I'm mid and the jungler literally ever shows up he can have as much farm as he wants

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On the lane tax talk still, I also want to point out to be careful about it when your teammate has a fragile mental state, as a example, just had a game where I killed mid and jungle at 4 minutes 2 for 0 with mid getting assists, I then shoved the lane and took the siege cannon gold, that caused mid to have a mental breakdown and ragequit, rejoin, swap to bottom lane, then spend the next 25 minutes bringing up the fact I took his gold and ruined his lane forever and ever and ever.

Still won.

Keep doing whatever you're doing.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

el dingo posted:

If they're like that there is no 'being careful' about their mental state as anyone who's that much of a giant baby is going to have a meltdown regardless of what happens

not necessarily, but not everyone likes playing team captain and getting these people to not tilt. also in more depth with lane taxing, top lane minions are extremely important and if you do not know lane management taking “just two minions” is a good way to absolutely screw over the guy you are trying to help; as was mentioned just hard shoving into tower avoids that, denies so, and maybe you get a tower plate. much better

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
When I gank top, I always tax help shove into tower, no exception.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

anyone that chooses to display their aggressively fragile brain in a perceivable enough way that it affects the game state should be mercilessly owned and hounded into uninstalling. this is your duty to your fellow gamer and should become your new win condition. the weak should fear the strong

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think taxing just depends, if your laner is alive and with you, it's fine if you take a couple minions and help him push. If the lane is in the middle and neutral position with your laner in base you really shoudn't push even a push into the turret is bad because he will have to overextend. When my jungler does that I will just take wolves because it's much safer to do that than stay in lane overextended especially in losing matchup.

The worst thing a jungler can do is tax the wave when you are dead and not fully push the wave in, that is basically a 2nd guaranteed death or massive cs/xp deficit.

Also if you are playing a gold hungry jungler like Kindred or Graves ya I think you definitely need to leech xp and tax minions but if you are on poo poo like j4/lee/elise the whole point is to snowball your laners and not jack all their poo poo.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
if my jungler is useful he can have all the creeps on the entire map i dont really care. if im playing nunu jungle i will rarely tax on purpose but if im nocturne i will take entire waves sometimes.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I appreciate this conversation about junglers and the dynamics of taking minions but on the other hand I just bought a name change to Taxman and I’m switching to jungle main.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Slaapaav posted:

if my jungler is useful he can have all the creeps on the entire map i dont really care. if im playing nunu jungle i will rarely tax on purpose but if im nocturne i will take entire waves sometimes.

The image of successfully ganking, throwing out another Q and passive proccing a lump of minions while the dead laner pings ? ? ? ? on me is permanently seared into my mind.

Also, do mids just never ask for blue anymore? I'm starting to play SR again and I don't think I've been asked for blue a single time so I just hog it to myself. My ADC buddy starts taking red from like the third one on like clockwork but I get every blue uncontested.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blue isn't a must-have anymore especially since most midlane mages are pretty content w/mana costs once they have their first item (and can survive off the level-up mana restore off lost chapter until then). However if you ping blue buff when you have a mage in the midlane (especially second blue) they'll probably come over and it's still a reasonable enough advantage to have over your opponent before they finish Ludens or whatever other main mana item they start.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
as a top laner I get way more tilted when the jungler comes, we get a kill, I'm frantically trying to shove by myself because they left while I'm spamming help ping and then the other jungler comes and kills me

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Stefan Prodan posted:

as a top laner I get way more tilted when the jungler comes, we get a kill, I'm frantically trying to shove by myself because they left while I'm spamming help ping and then the other jungler comes and kills me

yes, totally. junglers probably need to help push more, not less.

also, has anyone noticed that junglers have basically stopped ganking mid? I see supports in my lane more often than junglers now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Monathin posted:

Blue isn't a must-have anymore especially since most midlane mages are pretty content w/mana costs once they have their first item (and can survive off the level-up mana restore off lost chapter until then). However if you ping blue buff when you have a mage in the midlane (especially second blue) they'll probably come over and it's still a reasonable enough advantage to have over your opponent before they finish Ludens or whatever other main mana item they start.

the thing about having blue buff is that outside of specific other resource related situations regardless of the matchup it is really hard for one mid to match the other if only one of them gets blue buff. i mean thats true of either jungle buff in all lanes i suppose but like nobody hands off red to bot during laning. well except for my bad jungler handing off doubles to the other guy

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Didn't even need Neeko's help.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So one thing I'm noticing is that I'm at an MMR where people don't really use Vision wards that much. I've also started to pick up Evelynn recently... :unsmigghh:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
People that build sunfires in aram , why.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Drakes posted:

People that build sunfires in aram , why.

because it's one of the best aram tank items, I would guess

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Are sites like proguides.com actually worth the investment? Lately I've been feeling a lot of drive to improve my play. 7.99 / mo is not going to break the bank for me by any means but I also don't like throwing money away.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
There's so much free educational resources that you really don't need to pay for anything to improve unless you're literally like masters or higher. Just watch high-elo streamers, watch the coaching sessions of the chumps who did pay money (LS has a ton of videos on his youtube channel focusing on fundamentals if you can tolerate his personality), download a free program like mobalytics that'll give you some decent feedback, and you're good to go

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Monicro posted:

Its like the biggest trap item in aram made worse off by how you don't spend much time in melee range of minions/champs if theres any poke going on.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Monicro posted:

To be fair it loses utility in aram that other tank items don't. One of the big reasons to buy it is for wave clear on tanks, which isn't necessary on aram, whereas items like gargoyle stone plate are generally better because you can get the active off on more people more regularly.

It's still a decent stats item, but I wouldn't say it's that good on aram in particular.

And yeah, see above too - you just don't get to use its passive as much in general, versus something like SV or adaptive (depending on comp). I don't think it's wrong to build sometimes, but I think often it just gets built because it's good on x or y champ on SR.

I do think there's fewer appealing armor + hp items in aram than MR in general. Randuins can be ok, but there's so many weird builds that you don't see that much crit. It feels like stone plate or thorn ail plus health from elsewhere is usually better (or maybe DMP or whatever).

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 5, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On the topic of mental breakdowns due to lane taxing as the jungle, this is over a single wave of farm being shoved in after I 1vs2ed the enemy bot lane without the help of twitch.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 5, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
sunfire does a lot of damage in fights

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Monicro posted:

ARAM.... tank... bwuh?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Toxic Mental posted:

ARAM.... tank... bwuh?

I get that almost everybody wants to play an assassin who two-shots people, a mage with the nastiest Luden's proc or Jhin. But ARAM games tend to go smoother for your team if there is a beefy person to initiate, front-line and/or peel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or you get Mundo and be both the tank and the carry.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So Evelynn is a super fun champion. I'm sure when it gets to higher MMR, people will actually bother using Vision wards to nullify my ganks but goddamn she has such a good game feeling once you reach level 6.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

jimmydalad posted:

So Evelynn is a super fun champion. I'm sure when it gets to higher MMR, people will actually bother using Vision wards to nullify my ganks but goddamn she has such a good game feeling once you reach level 6.

Don't fall into the trap of only ganking after 6 on Eve. Getting a W proc on anyone overextended will absolutely murder them regardless of whether or not you are stealthed or not. Obviously your 6 adds a bunch to your burst, but it's not impossible to make some major plays pre-6.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Kooriken posted:

Don't fall into the trap of only ganking after 6 on Eve. Getting a W proc on anyone overextended will absolutely murder them regardless of whether or not you are stealthed or not. Obviously your 6 adds a bunch to your burst, but it's not impossible to make some major plays pre-6.

With Eve, I find that pre-6 unless the enemy overextends, trying to get a successful kill is very hard since her CC is heavily telegraphed and you can see her obvious approach from a mile away. I do keep an eye on lanes and see if I can get something and maybe burn a flash. Otherwise, her assassination potential skyrockets at 6 and the stealth is really key to pulling off ganks or going in, healing back with passive, then go back in again.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Monicro posted:

There's so much free educational resources that you really don't need to pay for anything to improve unless you're literally like masters or higher. Just watch high-elo streamers, watch the coaching sessions of the chumps who did pay money (LS has a ton of videos on his youtube channel focusing on fundamentals if you can tolerate his personality), download a free program like mobalytics that'll give you some decent feedback, and you're good to go

Thanks. I am Silver III right now and I've peaked at S1 so if anything I should probably just play more and watch free videos / read free guides. I've got a long way to go before I need in depth analysis of my gameplay.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jimmydalad posted:

With Eve, I find that pre-6 unless the enemy overextends, trying to get a successful kill is very hard since her CC is heavily telegraphed and you can see her obvious approach from a mile away. I do keep an eye on lanes and see if I can get something and maybe burn a flash. Otherwise, her assassination potential skyrockets at 6 and the stealth is really key to pulling off ganks or going in, healing back with passive, then go back in again.

If you are having issues ganking with Evelynn pre-6 you are probably trying to apply W far too early (which is super common). One of the strengths of her W is that you are almost guaranteed to trigger it because you literally can't miss Q. Do not toss your W on someone before you walk into the lane or - as you probably noticed - it telegraphs your intention and signals the enemy to back off well before you can position yourself to trigger it. Instead, walk into the lane and then toss it on, giving your opponent's much less time to react.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

kung fu jive posted:

Thanks. I am Silver III right now and I've peaked at S1 so if anything I should probably just play more and watch free videos / read free guides. I've got a long way to go before I need in depth analysis of my gameplay.

just improve your average CS by like 2 / min and you'll go up a few divisions.

there are some really simple improvements you can make to your play that will pay serious dividends over time.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

There's no greater joy than when you're ahead on Vi with a Lulu and you just ult straight onto the enemy marksman to initiate the fight. Pure, unadulterated chaos. It's so much fun.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sexpansion posted:

just improve your average CS by like 2 / min and you'll go up a few divisions.

there are some really simple improvements you can make to your play that will pay serious dividends over time.

I will focus on this. I like taking one specific mechanic and paying extra attention to honing it.

I ran the numbers today and assuming the absolute worst case scenario where I lose every game, including the world pass win bonus of 18 tokens, I have to play 10 games per day to get 2200 tokens for the prestige points. If anyone needs me I'll be on the Howling Abyss.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That is a lot of work for a single skin. For a moment I considered going for prestige points after buying the pass, but after a couple days I stuck with orbs. A way better fit for a returning player who just plays ARAM.

In 2020 they're going to sell all prestige skins released throughout that year again at the very end of the year. A somewhat better system to buy a Malibu Stacy With A Hat.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 5, 2019

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

I will focus on this. I like taking one specific mechanic and paying extra attention to honing it.

I ran the numbers today and assuming the absolute worst case scenario where I lose every game, including the world pass win bonus of 18 tokens, I have to play 10 games per day to get 2200 tokens for the prestige points. If anyone needs me I'll be on the Howling Abyss.

If you're really hard up for the grind you can basically afk in tft. At fifteen minutes you'll get 4 tokens for surrendering and, if you're in a good position, you can hang on the 5 extra minutes to get to top 4, instantly surrender and get 8 instead.

It's extremely mind numbing but it works. I mainly just did that when watching world's games but you can generate a whole lot of tokens that way with almost no effort.

I actually just got the Miss Fortune prestige skin this weekend and it wasn't too bad. I started on the first day though so I was able to take it pretty easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I actually just got the Miss Fortune prestige skin this weekend and it wasn't too bad. I started on the first day though so I was able to take it pretty easy!

Your support teammate actively hates you for the constant wolf howling that plays whenever she gets her W passive.