Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A smart phone is basically a box with a button and you push the button and it releases dopamine. Adults can barely control their behavior on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Arent boomers also the highest risk group for opioid overdose?

If only because they more likely had decent insurance/medicare that paid for more expensive starter opioids when that was the thing to be prescribed for pain. As was the case for anyone of any generation with debilitating pain with decent coverage at the time.

Looks like older folks in CA are the main customers in THC shoppes there though (despite how hosed up that bureaucratic system is), mostly to get off their opioid pain meds, so there's that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/24/us/california-today-marijuana-consumers-by-the-numbers.html

Jows
May 8, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Truth. 1978 here, and it's very weird to think of growing up now without cameras or social media everywhere. I think I remember hearing about Facebook in 2005 or 2006 and wondering what the hell it was.

1982 myself. I love every word of that article.

And on more than one occasion my college friends and I have discussed how thankful we were that Facebook and smartphones weren't things when we were undergrads.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fallom posted:

Boomer somehow got adjusted to like 1950-1980

Please don't say that... It's... it's a state of mind, not an actual age group. Not all olds are bad.

:smith:

predicto fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 5, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The term is clearly Elder Millennial. You get the natural resistance to most advertising (but not nostalgia) and are weak to Instagram based attacks.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Jan 1 1982. I thought I was Gen X then I find out I’m a Millennial.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hate the generational breakdown because no matter what I'm getting lumped in with stupid right-wing shitfucks. So many people my age share my life experiences but holy poo poo did they learn different lessons from them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dick Trauma posted:

I hate the generational breakdown because no matter what I'm getting lumped in with stupid right-wing shitfucks. So many people my age share my life experiences but holy poo poo did they learn different lessons from them.

Every generation is bad except whatever Army Greta Thunberg is putting together to justifiably massacre the rest of us.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dick Trauma posted:

It's all meaningless outside of some specific demographic contexts and everyone hates the label they end up with. Dumb poo poo like "Oregon Trail Generation" exists because some people really don't want to be called millennials, even though 1980+ was always solidly Not Gen X.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Paradoxish posted:

It's all meaningless outside of some specific demographic contexts and everyone hates the label they end up with. Dumb poo poo like "Oregon Trail Generation" exists because some people really don't want to be called millennials, even though 1980+ was always solidly Not Gen X.

I mean, generational stuff is all dumb but I have very little in common with a kid who has lived their entire lives with high speed internet either.

Not to mention whatever cultural and ethnic divides there are within generations.

Yeah, it's meaningless. So is everything else, ultimately. Guess we'd better stop communicating.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m fine with being considered a straight up millennial I don’t understand why anyone would be defensive about it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

Oh, they'll be plenty of white sheets but very few boos in Alabama.

Trump was booed at the at national championship game between Georgia and Alabama.

Don't see how this will be much different, could be worse in fact since a regular season game will have more actual college students in the seats.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-booed-by-fans-national-championship-2018-1

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m fine with being considered a straight up millennial I don’t understand why anyone would be defensive about it.

Do you watch the pewdiepie you whippersnapper? With your yeeting into traffic while yolo-ing with your college debt?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
A scale model of the 1934 Nuremberg rally made entirely out of expired marshmallows.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

In an era of fake news, I've wondered if this would be an effective attack tactic too. You know, rather than as self-destruct button for your campaign.

Just accuse your opponent of supporting and opposing EVERYTHING. Doesn't matter what it is, just every single possible position on every single issue.

Then run your campaign on just One Dumb Issue repeated ad nauseum with a simple slogan to remember it by. Even if people hate your position, at least they know SOMETHING about you. Your opponent is apparently a sprawling mass of contradictions, so you look better by default, right?

Wait... Why does all of this sound eerily familiar?

No, for real. Obviously sounds like 2016 poo poo, but I'm just dumb enough I can't draw the parallels accurately... if they actually exist.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

"Hatshepsut was controversial for many reasons, which I won't go into here since you can look them up on Wikipedia. In short, she called herself 'king' and dressed like a male ruler, given that Egypt had essentially no concept of a female ruler at the time, and the general assumption was that any woman in power must have a figure controlling her, people put the blame for everything on her chief minister, Senemut."

Dang upper Egyptians of a certain age.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Same, '83

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Generational studies is just astrology for wonks.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

1880 - 1900: Lost Generation
1900 - 1920: Greatest generation
1920 - 1950: Silent Generation
1950 - 1970: Baby Boomers
1970 – 1980: Generation X
1980 – 1990: Generation Y
1990 – 2000: Generation Z
2000 – 2010: Millennials
2010 – 2020: Generation A
2020 - 2030: ??

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Y'all are old as hell, christ.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bucky Fullminster posted:

1 - these aren't even close to correct
B - just do it by decades JFC it's not hard

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gen Y are millennials essentially

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pacerhimself posted:

Gen Y are millennials essentially

Poor Gen Xers, no one loved them enough to actually give them a name

A millennial is someone too young to remember Challenger blowing up, but old enough to remember 9/11

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I vastly prefer the Pew ones

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is it time for another reminder that generational warfare and arbitrary definitions is how the elite keep people arguing and fighting to avoid people focusing on the real enemies of all generations, the wealthy.

Don't make me tap the sign.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

T. Bombastus posted:

Generational studies is just astrology for wonks.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

1 - these aren't even close to correct
B - just do it by decades JFC it's not hard

1 - there’s no such thing as correct
2 - but they are, at least until the gen Y bit, and that’s because the term ‘millennial’ should apply to kids born in the new millennium goddamn it, don’t give me this ambiguous ‘coming of age’ bullshit
3 - I made up the generation A one

Edit: 4 - I’m all for decades which is why I like the above, so what do you suggest exactly?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

1 - there’s no such thing as correct
2 - but they are, at least until the gen Y bit, and that’s because the term ‘millennial’ should apply to kids born in the new millennium goddamn it, don’t give me this ambiguous ‘coming of age’ bullshit
3 - I made up the generation A one

As vague and amorphous as generational labels are, I dont think that means you get to just apply your own personal meaning to 'millennial'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm a Millenial with a Zoomer rising and that's why I have near crippling anxiety all the time

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Simiain posted:

As vague and amorphous as generational labels are, I dont think that means you get to just apply your own personal meaning to 'millennial'

that’s EXACTLY what it means

Trabisnikof posted:

I vastly prefer the Pew ones

look at those years, and tell me they are remotely elegant enough for anyone to remember

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 5, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Telsa Cola posted:

Y'all are old as hell, christ.

I recently learned that there is a giant marshmallow man who does music and the youths love him. Instead of thinking "Well, if it works for him, great" I thought "what kind of loving idiot does that? I bet kids like that poo poo."

And that is when I officially became an old person.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

look at those years, and tell me they are remotely elegant enough for anyone to remember

Yeah the short hand is:

Remember Kennedy dying: Boomer or older

Remember Challenger but not Kennedy: Gen X

Remember 9/11 but not Challenger: Millennial

Don't remember 9/11: Zoomer

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That chart's Generation Z divide seems to be "Was not in at least 1st grade when 9/11 happened."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

I'm a Millenial with a Zoomer rising and that's why I have near crippling anxiety all the time

I hear Jupiter is kinda gassy this time of year. Be afraid, I guess.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

sexpig by night posted:

Hell I got that at the tail end of Gen X.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah the short hand is:

Remember Kennedy dying: Boomer or older

Remember Challenger but not Kennedy: Gen X

Remember 9/11 but not Challenger: Millennial

Don't remember 9/11: Zoomer

Remember a world without computers: Gen X
Remember a world without the internet: Gen Y
Remember a world without smart phones: Gen Z
Born in the Millennium: Millennial
Born in a world where smartphones fundamentally changed the mechanics of life: Gen A

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I thought the thread solved this a while ago.

If you remember 9/11 you're a Millennial

If you remember The Challenger explosion, you're Gen X

If you remember the Kennedy assassination you're a Boomer

Edit: Beaten

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was born during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
I do not remember the Kennedy assassination (although my wife does; she's 6-years older than me).
My mother took me & my sisters on a march in Philadelphia when Dr. King was murdered.
I remember Vietnam dominating the news, and everything after.
I am a Boomer

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Gangringo posted:

I thought the thread solved this a while ago.

If you remember 9/11 you're a Millennial

If you remember The Challenger explosion, you're Gen X

If you remember the Kennedy assassination you're a Boomer

Edit: Beaten

And what about the rest of the world that isn't American huh.

Is this going to be like the new imperial system where you pick something weird and arbitrary where the words don't make sense and numbers don't add up nicely and y'all just stick to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And what about the rest of the world that isn't American huh.

Is this going to be like the new imperial system where you pick something weird and arbitrary where the words don't make sense and numbers don't add up nicely and y'all just stick to it?

Well then their generations are probably not defined by the population boom caused by WW2 soldiers returning home to the only untouched country?