Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sky Shadowing posted:

E: No clue how I double posted two hours later.

Warp of the West (coast servers).

I decided to join the Fighter's Guild for the time being to do some quests and get some gold. I know about the Thieves Guild conflict, but I thought if I were to do the Thieves Guild, I'd do it with another character.

I appreciate all the feedback, and I'll probably be back with some more questions before long.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Is there a way to change my character's magicka multiplier via the console? A mod changed it without me realizing it, and I want to uninstall the mod (for other reasons) and change it back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

They're my favorite Great House too, and I haven't yet found a way to describe how the group of people who are perfectly okay with murdering your rivals aren't completely outright evil.

None of the Great Houses are really all that clean. Morrowind has a lot of grey and dark grey morality going on. The Telvanni are the most evil of them sure but they're vastly more interesting for basically all the reasons already mentioned. It's like hey corrupt, shady rich dudes, mostly decent honor warriors, or ancient insane wizards that live in mushrooms.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
In my game the water sound effect (like when near the coast) is either really loud or not present at all. Anyone have any idea what causes this or how I can fix it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

None of the Great Houses are really all that clean. Morrowind has a lot of grey and dark grey morality going on. The Telvanni are the most evil of them sure but they're vastly more interesting for basically all the reasons already mentioned. It's like hey corrupt, shady rich dudes, mostly decent honor warriors, or ancient insane wizards that live in mushrooms.

I feel like 'imperialist comprador bourgeoisie that exploits treaties safeguarding the cultural practice of slavery to revolutionise the practice and invent the plantation system,' is a little worse than, 'insane wizard.'

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, in my mind I'm pretty sure that Hlaalu are the scummiest of all the Great Houses (excepting Dres since they're literally an entire House built on slavery, or at least, that's their main gimmick).

Redoran are generally the most good, but their leader is a racist rear end in a top hat who is so focused on external strength and is popular for leading the House through a time of crisis, so that even the good-hearted councilors like one Athyn Sarethi merely bite their tongue and wait until the insults and vile behavior become too much to bear (see: kidnapping a son). However, despite being among the most "tradition" of the Great Houses, they're also the only one I literally can't think of any slavery in Morrowind, at all.

Telvanni are ambition incarnate, but even though they're the most slave friendly House, that comes less out of racism and more out of A) not liking being told what to do and B) the general disinterest of the Masters so long as they're guaranteed income to perform experiments. But unlike certain other organizations in media where murder is a path to advancement (see: the Sith), it isn't a required method, and most of the time a mage of particular talent can find a patron who will help them rise as high as their talent allows and their ambition desires. Excepting Hlaalu they're the Great House with the most outlanders in their ranks, and as evidenced in ESO, with the right connection even a former slave can rise to a position of authority. In addition, where there are certainly patrons who will prevent their students from surpassing them, there are also a good many who will happily help their students surpass them. That said even the most progressive and altruistic of Telvanni mage-lords are prone to odd behavior like keeping a captured Imperial soldier as an exhibit or cloning themself four times as an opposite-sex entity.

But Hlaalu try and play both sides. They are the Empire's best friends in Morrowind, and proudly proclaim themselves as such. But take one look at the great plantations of the Ascadian Isles, at the Caldera Ebony Mines, and you realize that they're hypocrites. When Tiber Septim came knocking, they glued themselves to his rear end and let him drag them to pre-eminence in Morrowind by proclaiming themselves The Great Future Of The Dunmer, while at the same time keeping the covers on the massive slave-driven industries that fuel the wealth of their ascension, and even as the Empire proclaims "hey dudes this slavery thing is pretty hosed up" the Hlaalu for 400+ years have kept the institution alive and well until finally in the chaos of the fall of the Tribunal and the rise of Helseth they see a profit opportunity to make their actions match their words and throw in. And if you can't tell by my avatar this venom against them is being spewed by an Empire loyalist.

Then the Empire collapses around them and discover the consequences of having sold out their homeland for power and are promptly kicked to the curb by the angry mob of the other Great Houses that has assembled outside their gates.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

raminasi posted:

In my game the water sound effect (like when near the coast) is either really loud or not present at all. Anyone have any idea what causes this or how I can fix it?

What soundcard are you using? Try updating the drivers. Google your soundcard name and morrowind and see if anything comes up.

The card I have makes foot steps way loud and then certain other sound effects basically blast my ear drums randomly. I had to either change some setting in the default drivers or download a third party set.

kazr fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 4, 2019

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I have a confession: I've never played through Redoran and I think I'm going to have to rectify that now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hlaalu are, on paper, the least xenophobic house but massively corrupt on all levels and are basically a front for the Camonna Tong, Vvardenfell's massively racist drug syndicate that thinks the only outlanders allowed in Morrowind at all should be the slaves.

Telvanni are at least very openly and proudly lovely which has to count for something

Redoran are just chill dudes that wanna fight monsters and break poo poo.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 4, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Every time I do the MQ, even though I know there's a peaceful way to convinced him to support me, Orvas Dren dies. I would do the same in Hlaalu playthroughs, if I ever did any.

Likewise in Oblivion once Countess Alessia Caro of Leyawiin has served her purpose in the two quests that require her, I don the Gray Cowl and kill her. loving torture Argonians in MY home province.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Telvanni are just wannabe Daedera and given their wild magic powers and nigh immortality they've got a better claim on it than most. You can say they should be more sympathetic given that they aren't divine beings, but amoral superbeings are a well established and daily fact of life in Tamriel so it's not like they're breaking new ground.

Also, it's not like they're opposed to slavery either. Vvardenfel isn't big on Morality to begin with.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

kazr posted:

I have a confession: I've never played through Redoran and I think I'm going to have to rectify that now.

The only thing I've ever done with the redoran folks is steal the massive amounts of booze they have stashed in their houses (seriously they have so much of it)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hlaalu are, on paper, the least xenophobic house but massively corrupt on all levels and are basically a front for the Camonna Tong, Vvardenfell's massively racist drug syndicate that thinks the only outlanders allowed in Morrowind at all should be the slaves.

That's only true of the mainland house. Also they're right, imperials are colonialist trash

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
None of the Great Houses is monolithic. Okay so all Telvanni are eccentric wizards, but the fact they're all eccentric means they all have their own interests, they're only a House in a very loose sense.

House Hlaalu's defining feature is ambition. But ambition takes more than one form. Just take a look at the Dren family:
  • Vedam Dren: loyal servant of the Empire, which got him to become Duke of Vvardenfell.
  • Ilmeni Dren: daughter of Vedam. Leader of the Twin Lamps, the clandestine abolitionist society who helps escaped slaves return safely to their home provinces.
  • Orvas Dren: brother of Vedam. Leader of the Camonna Tong, the brutal mafia that hates the Empire and secretly assists the Sixth House.

If you're in House Hlaalu and end up killing Orvas Dren, then talking to Vedam will earn you a promotion. It doesn't seem like the two brothers had much fraternal love for each others.

As for the Redoran, their focus on being the stalwart protectors of Morrowind means that they're both noble, brave, steadfast, etc. and also very reactionary and oppressive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hlaalu: the Clintons
Redoran: Blue Lives Matter / shop discounts for veterans
Telvanni: Ron Paul

Orvas Dren: Jeffrey Epstein

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So then Dres: Trump and Indoril: Southern Baptists?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

So then Dres: Trump and Indoril: Southern Baptists?

Dres: people with multiple purchases of truck nuts

Indoril: the catholic church, even when standing face to face with an azura confirmed savior of your people they wont let you in because that would mean giving up power

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Dres: people with multiple purchases of truck nuts

Indoril: the catholic church, even when standing face to face with an azura confirmed savior of your people they wont let you in because that would mean giving up power

Saints have to die before they'll be revered.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Telvanni's theme is that they're all power mad backwards libertarians who want each other dead and can't stop arguing and most of them are extremely racist, which appealed greatly to a lot of people online in 2003 for some odd reason. More charitably, they are by far the most *interesting* house, aesthetically and lore-wise. Also they're the wizard house and every Morrowind character either starts as a wizard or becomes one at some point.

If the game came out now I imagine their big fans would draw some side eye, but the pertinent fact is that their popularity snowballed so all the incredible mods are centred around them and ignore the other houses, so they provide the best experience by far. I think Uvirith's Legacy is built on the bones of a mod from not long after the game released, which is pretty amazing to think about.

If I ever get around to making an update “patch” for Rise of House Telvanni, I’m going to add so many options to improve the great house without being ridiculously mwahaha evil, because looking back on the original mod it was kinda juvenile bullshit

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The telvanni love juvenile bullshit

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Don’t get me wrong, there will still be plenty of juvenile bullshit

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had no idea. drat, I wasted my votes. Next time I will choose the gold standard.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Stuporstar posted:

If I ever get around to making an update “patch” for Rise of House Telvanni, I’m going to add so many options to improve the great house without being ridiculously mwahaha evil, because looking back on the original mod it was kinda juvenile bullshit

Please. RoHT does a number of pretty cool things, but tonally it's just such a shift from what I was doing in the rest of my playthrough. (Still upset I couldn't unify House Telvanni and the Vvardenfell Mages Guild by decree.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's only true of the mainland house. Also they're right, imperials are colonialist trash

I mean there's a pretty significant difference between anti-colonial national liberation and xenophobic racial supremacy built on slavery.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean there's a pretty significant difference between anti-colonial national liberation and xenophobic racial supremacy built on slavery.

I agree? Also the Camonna tong are very much about isolationism. They dont really want you dead as much as they want you on a ship back to cyrodiil. Slavery and racism is not specific to any one morrowind faction. Isolationism is.

Also I meant to say 'vvardenfell branch' not mainland. The Camonna tong are very vvardenfell centered. The rest of the hlaalu bootlick the empire while simultaneously wishing they would leave so they could monopolize. They're just every businessman ever as a faction

mbt fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 5, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've done a little digging, is it just not possible to lower the mouse sensitivity in menus?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hlaalu: the Clintons
Redoran: Blue Lives Matter / shop discounts for veterans

Orvas Dren: Jeffrey Epstein

Dagoth Ur:

Orv
May 4, 2011
No, thank you.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Whorelord posted:

Dagoth Ur:

If you hate Dagoth Ur so much why don't you just move to Stros M'Kai?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The lion Sharmat

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dagoth Ur is Vilerat. Red Mountain is Benghazi. Not taking feedback on this one

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Every year bill Hillary and jeff make their way up the mountain to renew their powers from the heart of lorkhan but seth rich wanted the power for himself

e: submitted my questchain for TR, its only a matter of time now
e2: lol this release is fuckin massive...again. as long as you join the temple and are willing to join a weirdo temple sect

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 5, 2019

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Whorelord posted:

Dagoth Ur:

Thanks. I hate it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

e2: lol this release is fuckin massive...again. as long as you join the temple and are willing to join a weirdo temple sect

Always. I look forward to it.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Every year bill Hillary and jeff make their way up the mountain to renew their powers from the heart of lorkhan but seth rich wanted the power for himself

e: submitted my questchain for TR, its only a matter of time now

On a time line of now to when Baar Dau crashes and Red Mountain erupts, how long are we looking for the next release?

Roughly

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

baar dau is 9/11

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kazr posted:

On a time line of now to when Baar Dau crashes and Red Mountain erupts, how long are we looking for the next release?

Roughly

idk man anyone whos tried predicting it has failed

all of the questlines are officially submitted and are undergoing review, the only thing left is finishing npc placement and smashing everything together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfz9OVrWM1I

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

all of the questlines are officially submitted and are undergoing review, the only thing left is finishing npc placement and smashing everything together

How big of a quest dump is it? In terms of hours of gameplay, if you can even estimate that.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ah yeah this is the good poo poo right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Node posted:

How big of a quest dump is it? In terms of hours of gameplay, if you can even estimate that.

Hard to say, I haven't played em all lol

Theres a massive secret that a lot of time went into