Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly I like horrible unpleasant music and Fleetwood Mac do some of the most offensively inoffensive middle of the road soft rock. Similar feelings about Journey, Toto, Chicago, Boston, Hall & Oates, etc. It's just very much not my vibe. Not to say I don't like music with melody & that, but it's not that sort of thing.

I actually don't know that much of Toto's music except Africa and Rosanna, but they also wrote most of Thriller, so they are good.

Ratjaculation posted:

I haven't played a battlefield since bad company 2, are they still good or are they all super speedy nukes and poo poo like call of duty?

I played 3 and 4 and they weren't as good as BF:BC2 so I gave up. Cracking game that was. I got really good at shooting down choppers with the guided rocket launchers, to the point where I got banned from some servers. I wasn't cheating though, there was just a knack to it, and once you got it, you got it and could repeatedly shoot them down.

Pochoclo posted:

Which country though the whole world seems hosed it’s just a matter of degrees

I just moved to Canada.

The Liberals just got the most seats at their federal election, followed by the Conservatives (which they also call Tories), with the NDP losing several seats.

The NDP are the most (nominally) left-wing party and I think the Liberals are a bit left of New Labour (but not much), and the NDP are somewhere between New Labour and Current UK Labour. So overall not great politically.

However the People's Party of Canada (Canadian UKIP - racist, anti-immigration) got zero seats. So that's good.

Also the people here are nice, by and large. Houses are cheaper (unless you're in Toronto or Vancouver) and the country is beautiful, too (I mean, depending on where you go). Poverty is also on the decrease here.

There are of course some problematic indigenous issues with the First Nations peoples having had their land stolen and not getting enough support from the government.

So it's not like, a land of milk and honey or whatever, but I've been finding it better in a lot of ways than England so far.

I also have friends who've moved to New Zealand and they're absolutely loving it.

E: The world's most expensive crisps were released in 2016, and cost €51 for a box of five crisps:

quote:

The snacks are made from Ammarnas potatoes which, according to Ateriet.com, are in limited supply due to them being harvested by hand off a stony slope inaccessible to modern agricultural machinery. So there.

But what kind of flavours are involved?

Matsutsake (A mushroom that tastes like mature cheese)
Truffle seaweed
Crown dill
Leksand onion (A variety of onion that only grows outside the Swedish town of Leksand)
India Pale Ale
We may be wrong, but that appears to all add up to a very posh cheese and onion crisp.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Private Speech posted:

I feel sorry for Pissflaps (and a bunch of other permabanned posters for that matter too). Like yeah it's kinda his own fault and the threadban was justified, but I still do.

There are permabanned posters that deserve your support or concern (cough cough Tiny Brontosaurus). But Pissflaps? Yeah, maybe read through the Pissflexit thread. He was very deliberately and nastily transphobic and racist. He got what was coming to him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

I actually don't know that much of Toto's music except Africa and Rosanna, but they also wrote most of Thriller, so they are good.

Well, Steve Porcaro wrote Human Nature, and they played on the whole album, but Rod Temperton was the real songwriting genius of that album. Also wrote "Boogie Nights", and the stone cold classic "Gimme The Night" for George Benson.

Toto have some absolute belters though, "I'll Be Over You" is way overlooked.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

WhatEvil posted:

I played 3 and 4 and they weren't as good as BF:BC2 so I gave up. Cracking game that was. I got really good at shooting down choppers with the guided rocket launchers, to the point where I got banned from some servers. I wasn't cheating though, there was just a knack to it, and once you got it, you got it and could repeatedly shoot them down.

I just moved to Canada.

The Liberals just got the most seats at their federal election, followed by the Conservatives (which they also call Tories), with the NDP losing several seats.

The NDP are the most (nominally) left-wing party and I think the Liberals are a bit left of New Labour (but not much), and the NDP are somewhere between New Labour and Current UK Labour. So overall not great politically.

However the People's Party of Canada (Canadian UKIP - racist, anti-immigration) got zero seats. So that's good.

Also the people here are nice, by and large. Houses are cheaper (unless you're in Toronto or Vancouver) and the country is beautiful, too (I mean, depending on where you go). Poverty is also on the decrease here.

There are of course some problematic indigenous issues with the First Nations peoples having had their land stolen and not getting enough support from the government.

So it's not like, a land of milk and honey or whatever, but I've been finding it better in a lot of ways than England so far.

I also have friends who've moved to New Zealand and they're absolutely loving it.

I also moved to Canada but 14 years ago just after Harper got in, it was poo poo

Also the liberals are basically the Lib Dems and are just as milqutoast as you'd think

I feel the NDP are well positioned tbh for next election.

One thing I noticed is there is nowhere near the political organization that the UK or the US has, there is nothing like Momentum or the US political education/advocacy. There ARE several really good environmental advocacy groups however

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Former Canada person here who wants to move back. The place is really weird because, as already said, people don't really engage politically but they also have this weird culture of putting lawn signs up in support of a party or candidate? I was there for the federal election that saw Trudeau get in and was visiting during the last provincial election in Ontario which saw Ford (Basically Canadian Trump) become Ontario's Premier (First Minister).

I never experienced any doorknockers, any fliers outside generic main three parties, and there is little to no engagement with your local MP or MPP, which as someone who comes from Ireland is REALLY weird. Seems like for the most part candidates are parachuted in and are rarely from the constituency, let alone live in it.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

NZ

It has political issues, but a fairly good Labour government propped up by the Greens against classic Tory types. A bit of nationalist movement, led by idiots who think Europeans were there before the Maori lol

There is a massive growing left movement but I'm not sure how it levels against the boomers there.

I plan to go back permanently when I can, but got to wait for my missus to finish her post-grad first... Rude.

Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the quality of the current NZ gov.

They bowed to transphobes by killing the proposed self Id law, have ruled out implementing a CGT under the current leader, refuse to raise benefit levels despite their own review saying they need to go up by up to 47% and are basically just tinkering around the edge of problems and doing nothing to actually solve them. I also totally expect to see them run on tax cuts at the next election instead of actually doing anything useful with the current surplus.

They aren't remotely good, they are just less poo poo than our tories.

Also hi despite being a very gay and trans kiwi stuck in NZ I lurk this thread because Marxism and Corbyn is less depressing than our Labour Party. Also the podcast is great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There are permabanned posters that deserve your support or concern (cough cough Tiny Brontosaurus). But Pissflaps? Yeah, maybe read through the Pissflexit thread. He was very deliberately and nastily transphobic and racist. He got what was coming to him.

I guess I'm just sad for people perma'd in general. I did read the thread and didn't vote for him there because of the transphobic stuff, even though I don't really remember the posts in question. The racist mention of "urban" though, well, the government uses it too and then there's TinTower's coconut posts, which I think was even worse. I dunno.

e: gently caress it was TinTower. Err. Sorry?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 5, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

I haven't played a battlefield since bad company 2, are they still good or are they all super speedy nukes and poo poo like call of duty?

BC2 is the most fun I've ever had in a BF game, and probably will always be so.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It was definitely the best one I've played. I don't know how they managed to lose the magic in subsequent games.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Private Speech posted:

I guess I'm just sad for people perma'd in general. I did read the thread and didn't vote for him there because of the transphobic stuff, even though I don't really remember the posts in question. The racist mention of "urban" though, well, the government uses it too and then there's rarity's coconut posts, which I think was even worse. I dunno.

You're really defending racist poo poo on the basis that our very openly racist government also does it?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Private Speech posted:

and then there's rarity's coconut posts, which I think was even worse.
You mean TinTower. TinTower hosed up and just fled the thread forever rather than apologise (to my knowledge anyway), which is very on brand for a lib dem :v:

Flaps was much loving worse in general and even if the urban thing was the only time he got caught being racist (and I have no idea if it was or not), I'm pretty sure with his extensive history of bigotry we can probably rule out it being an isolated incident.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

painted into a coroner posted:

Former Canada person here who wants to move back. The place is really weird because, as already said, people don't really engage politically but they also have this weird culture of putting lawn signs up in support of a party or candidate? I was there for the federal election that saw Trudeau get in and was visiting during the last provincial election in Ontario which saw Ford (Basically Canadian Trump) become Ontario's Premier (First Minister).

I never experienced any doorknockers, any fliers outside generic main three parties, and there is little to no engagement with your local MP or MPP, which as someone who comes from Ireland is REALLY weird. Seems like for the most part candidates are parachuted in and are rarely from the constituency, let alone live in it.

I'm in Vancouver and I did see some groups of campaigners with signs and handing out leaflets in my local area leading up to the election - I think for the green party. Not much else apart from some signs up here and there. When I was in Cardiff I used to get bombarded with door knocker peeps and leaflets, cos I was in a lib dem Vs labour battleground.

Tbh as I'm not a citizen and can't vote at all in Canada I haven't paid too much attention, still preoccupied with the shenanigans in the UK. At the moment I'm oscillating between mild hope, wanting to scream gently caress off at the top of my voice at gammons, and the urge to roll my eyes so hard they turn back time at fubpee melt nonsense. I assume this is normal.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

njsykora posted:

I think the last time he said he was quitting Twitter he was back less than 24 hours later.

Glinner and Tweetman 4 EVAR :swoon:

Because we can't get rid of them.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Which country though the whole world seems hosed it’s just a matter of degrees

New Zealand. If you play your cards right you can get into one of the bunkers as a domestic slave. I am short so I will be a hobbit jester for their amusement. I will also be paid less because I'm short, and there is justification for me living in a hole, which they would make me do anyway. It's perfect. A true artist documents the whims of the ruling class.

Alternatively, fight until you die I say :shrug: :glomp:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pilchenstein posted:

You mean TinTower. TinTower hosed up and just fled the thread forever rather than apologise (to my knowledge anyway), which is very on brand for a lib dem :v:

Flaps was much loving worse in general and even if the urban thing was the only time he got caught being racist (and I have no idea if it was or not), I'm pretty sure with his extensive history of bigotry we can probably rule out it being an isolated incident.

With Flaps, it was the sheer relentless volume of his lovely posting that was the problem. He'd sit for hours at a time posting pedantic, 'just asking questions', one-line responses over and over and over again until the whole thread just became people telling him to gently caress off and Flaps going "Oh dear, you seem to be upset for some reason."

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
I'm going to take the radical position that stalking someone on twitter to mock them for being assaulted by a family member because you don't like their posts in this thread is bad and it's good that person is permabanned.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I started following a political shitposting group on facebook and they've gone a bit strange.

Movember has taken a strange turn

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Private Speech posted:

rarity's coconut posts

Whoa, what the actual gently caress. The coconut was TinTower, not me. I know we're both trans but we are different people.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 5, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I too am horrified at the thought of having to fly in pauper class with all of those plebs.

:gonk:

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Top Gear are Tories? Are there any good famous Brits left?

Please tell me Sean Connery is still cool.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

With Flaps, it was the sheer relentless volume of his lovely posting that was the problem. He'd sit for hours at a time posting pedantic, 'just asking questions', one-line responses over and over and over again until the whole thread just became people telling him to gently caress off and Flaps going "Oh dear, you seem to be upset for some reason."

I know someone like this in real life.

They are both a carded up Conservative and one of the most insecure, petty, intolerable people I've ever had the misfortune to meet. Unsurprisingly they studied PPE.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

Cool at domestic abuse. By which I mean he did it and nobody talks about it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rarity posted:

Whoa, what the actual gently caress. The coconut was TinTower, not me. I know we're both trans but we are different people.

Oh I had no idea TT wss trans lol, learn something every day.

Also yes please correct your post Private Speech, Rarity is very good people and distinctly doesn't make racist posts.

Eschenique posted:

Oh boy, uhh...

Connery stans for spousal abuse so... he's not super great

(To my knowledge Patrick Stewart is an all around good egg though)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Eschenique posted:

Unapologetic wife beater and tax exile

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That Top Gear pic, "Preparing for life under Corbyn" as in... being able to take an occasional holiday abroad because you have the economic security to do so, and we've made enough progress on carbon controls and recapture that (appropriately taxed and regulated) air travel is an acceptable thing to do?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Private Speech posted:

I guess I'm just sad for people perma'd in general. I did read the thread and didn't vote for him there because of the transphobic stuff, even though I don't really remember the posts in question. The racist mention of "urban" though, well, the government uses it too and then there's rarity's coconut posts, which I think was even worse. I dunno.

Distinctly not cool.

On at least two levels even, but god drat at tarring rarity with that.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ms Adequate posted:

That Top Gear pic, "Preparing for life under Corbyn" as in... being able to take an occasional holiday abroad because you have the economic security to do so, and we've made enough progress on carbon controls and recapture that (appropriately taxed and regulated) air travel is an acceptable thing to do?

I’d say with any luck they’re getting used to the experience of leaving the country, but they’re all pretty well travelled by this point.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh I had no idea TT wss trans lol, learn something every day.

Also yes please correct your post Private Speech, Rarity is very good people and distinctly doesn't make racist posts.

Oh boy, uhh...

Connery stans for spousal abuse so... he's not super great

(To my knowledge Patrick Stewart is an all around good egg though)

Ian McKellen seems a good guy as well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eschenique posted:

Top Gear were always really really bad tories and generally disgusting human beings. They see the climate crisis as more of a hobby than a threat.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

Yeah rarity is good.

And if they posted about coconuts it would be about throwing them at fascists.

Really hard.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Grey Hunter posted:

Ian McKellen seems a good guy as well.

quote:

Sir Ian McKellen has said he believes he will be “long dead” by the time Brexit happens, and implied that he no longer wants to offer his view on the subject.

Speaking to Press Association, the actor said: “Oh good God, when I’m long dead they still won’t have the Brexit deal complete, so I think I won’t take a view on it.”

He continued: “I’ve withdrawn entirely, emotionally, from the race and am now watching it as a bit of chess and all I can say is they are wretched players and don’t know a pawn from a queen.”

The UK was supposed to leave the European Union on 31 March, but was granted an extension to 31 October. Brexit has now been pushed back again to 31 January 2020.

McKellen previously cautioned against Brexit in 2016, when he highlighted the role Brussels played in helping to push through gay equality legislation.

“Now is the time to be backing Europe and giving back that sense of empowerment to countries in the European Union that are still very backward in this regard,” he told The Telegraph.

However, he also added that it “wouldn’t be the end of the world” and thought it was “up to the youngsters to decide, really.”

McKellen’s most recent comment on Brexit comes after a surge in the number of people under 35 registering to vote in the first few days since MPs agreed to hold a general election on 12 December,

a good lad who means well

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I'm disappointed that the telegraph got any quote out of Ian McKellen other than "Get hosed torygraph"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

feel like stephen fry has to be very good and very cool

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah... Not to be a debbie downer but you might want to check with the climate change thread for a perspective on if that's still in the cards. The tl;dr is that it really isn't.

Though I personally think air travel should be the last to go for a number of reasons, using it for vacation travel is an incredible waste at this point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

abelwingnut posted:

:yikes:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

abelwingnut posted:

Oh dear.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

abelwingnut posted:

Did you mean: history’s greatest monster?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

abelwingnut posted:

Uh oh

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, Steve Porcaro wrote Human Nature, and they played on the whole album, but Rod Temperton was the real songwriting genius of that album. Also wrote "Boogie Nights", and the stone cold classic "Gimme The Night" for George Benson.

Toto have some absolute belters though, "I'll Be Over You" is way overlooked.

I second sympathy for tiny bronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Is Eric Clapton still cool?