Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Is this the place to request features? I like to read threads when I get on a plane and don't have access to data. It'd be great to get some time of thread-downloading feature.

It's possible to just load a ton of pages in a thread and still access them through the cache, but one downside is Twitter embeds don't fully load (only the text of the directly-linked tweet), nor do other images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Vortex Street posted:

iphone 11 pro. Updated to 13.2, deleted and reinstalled the app, same behavior:

- Clicking on a thread with unread posts decrements the unread post count by a page’s worth of posts, or if less than a page of posts was unread, the count goes to zero. The thread however does not open and the app freezes.
- The next time I open the app, the thread is now open to that page but the app is frozen.
- Depending on the mix of iphone dark mode and app dark mode, that open page is blank

I miss the app :(

I keep thinking maybe if I download an ipsw for 13.1.3, I could get Awful to run again, but I'd really rather not chance loving up my 11 for the sake of one app. Guess we just gotta wait until pokeyman gets around to tweaking the app one of these days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is this the place to request features? I like to read threads when I get on a plane and don't have access to data. It'd be great to get some time of thread-downloading feature.

It's possible to just load a ton of pages in a thread and still access them through the cache, but one downside is Twitter embeds don't fully load (only the text of the directly-linked tweet), nor do other images.

At one point lowtax was hostile towards automated scraping since it ran up the hosting traffic bills but I don’t know if anyone has asked recently.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Feature request: let your av be the app icon.

e: this could be a good way to donate to the forums - people could essentially buy whatever app icon they wanted.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 5, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

e: this could be a good way to donate to the forums - people could essentially buy whatever app icon they wanted.

Almost definitely not possible with how App Store approvals work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Moreover, not really possible as far as implementing it goes. I _think_ the images for app icons have to be baked into the app bundle itself, no selecting random images from the file system.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Warbird posted:

Where did we fall on the “spoilers being dark gray instead of bright white in dark modes” item?

It'll be in the next version.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I have two pictures taken within seconds of each other on my phone, I can add one of them to a post, but not both... honestly not sure what’s up here.

I got nothing :( That's the Imgur API complaining about the file type, but if they're both pictures taken from your camera then I would think we're processing them the same way.

power crystals posted:

Tweets with sufficiently long poster names will introduce a horizontal scrollbar. They get visibly cut off at the border but the layout engine apparently uses the full length of the text to decide the width of the “page”. No idea if you can do anything about that, either, but figured I’d pass it on just in case.

I also have no idea if we can do anything about it, but I appreciate the heads up and I'll add it to the list!

Couch Life posted:

I’ve not been able to mod any threads or forums for a week now. It just hangs after I press one. It updates the unread count so it must be doing...something? I’ve reinstalled it multiple times to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Vortex Street posted:

I have the same experience just trying to read a thread. Upgraded to iOS 13.1.3 and moved to a new phone, press any bookmarked thread and it just takes the unread count to 0 and locks up. Tried uninstall/reinstall to no effect.

Binary Badger posted:

Upgraded to iOS 13.2 and I can call up bookmarks and forums, but as soon as I select a thread it doesn't open it, all it does is mark everything read and stays locked in the list of bookmarks. Can't do anything after that and the app effectively is locked.

Only force quitting works after that, but if I relaunch same thing happens..

That's lovely! I agree that the unread count changing suggests that Awful is loading a page of posts. But I don't have an explanation for why the app seems to hang. If it's still happening, can y'all try leaving it in the hung state for about 30 seconds and see if it crashes to the home screen? That way I'll get a crash report. If it hasn't crashed after 30 seconds then it probably isn't gonna and you can force quit it.

It's also possible that y'all have some settings enabled that I don't (or vice versa).

In the meantime I'll ponder how to reproduce this or what might be causing it. I haven't seen it happen at all.

Subjunctive posted:

The dedicated punctuation buttons are a little bit squished on 11 Max Pro:

This falls in the "ugh I've been meaning to redo that for awhile so do I fix it or redo it" bucket. Either way it looks like trash at the moment!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I was auto logged out of awful this morning on my phone and tablet. I logged back into the tablet ok but the phone app keeps saying that I have the wrong password. What should I do?

I'm not sure, if it's the same version of Awful on each device then it's the same code running on both so I can't imagine why it would work differently!

asecondduck posted:

why am I considering reinstalling Xcode for this

Catalyst is kinda painful so, yeah, seconded :)

LingcodKilla posted:

Still not having the ability to load pictures after months of weekly uninstall and reinstalls.

Oh well nobody wanted to see my ugly mug in the selfie thread.

As in upload images isn't working? Do you get any error message? (Did I already ask you this?)

Vortex Street posted:

Also when I logged back into the app (with iOS dark mode and SA dark mode) it appears the letters I typed were showing up as white text on white background. Help?

I currently got nothing on either of these but I'll take a look!

heeheex2 posted:

is bookmarks supposed to always be blue now

e: close/reopened app and can't replicate it now :shrug:

Tab bars are the worst.

stuffed crust punk posted:

Nevermind it was a loving inline screenshot lmao

:laffo:

Grace Baiting posted:

Found a fun new piece to my longstanding "scrollthumbs disappear when thread gets rerendered, but only sometimes!" issue! So I've been using the old dark modes on my Awful.app and I've now seen (and just now screenshotted) that the scrollthumbs actually ARE present, just the wrong color! See:

The scrollthumb is in fact still there but black, as if the page background is white, so it's only visible on top of an already-read post there. I also first saw the hiding scrollthumb outside of the yospos theme (although only visible on top of an already-marked-as-read post too).

I'm suddenly very tempted to make a garish custom scrollbar for the YOSPOS themes.

Damaged Bads posted:

I just upgraded to iOS 13.2 and tried out voice control, the Awful app seems not to like it very much, freezes and crashes after a few seconds.

That's lovely, sorry about that. I'll add it to my list. I've been meaning to try out voice control!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Yep right thread! It's on the list. I'm sensitive to firing too many requests in rapid succession at the Forums, but so long as we do sensible rate limiting it seems entirely reasonable to do.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Would be awesome but yeah, as mentioned all app icons have to be bundled with the app and go through App Review. In theory we could scrape everyone's avatars and dump them into the app, but I think it would be waaaay more pain than it's worth.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use the ViewExif extension to check out image metadata sometimes. I've discovered that using its "save without metadata" feature is a quick and dirty way to duplicate a HEIC to a JPG

Use that jpg with this shortcut (add to your home screen): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/88898c53e7fd4647b4f373170b529524

The result will be a direct imgur link on your clipboard. Tap a blank space in Awful, tap "[img]", then tap "Paste [img]" and it should paste the url pre-wrapped in img tags

I meant to post this a while ago but my work mdm profile disabled icloud drive, preventing me from sharing the shortcut

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
whatever browser is built in no longer works after updating to 3.63

When you click a link, It opens a window that's white and does not populate the URL into the address bar. Real strange.

I'm on an Ipad, dated iOS 10.3.2

never mind might've just been... several links, I'll keep an eye out

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 6, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i really dont want my av shuddering on my home screen

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

I'm suddenly very tempted to make a garish custom scrollbar for the YOSPOS themes.

I'm down for green/amber scrollthumbs in GreenPOS/AmberPOS

or vice versa, if u nasty :chome::cursed::chome:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

p.s. as stated in my quoted post, "I also first saw the hiding scrollthumb outside of the yospos theme (although only visible on top of an already-marked-as-read post too)." so the garish yosscrollthumbs wouldn't solve this directly, although I remain in favor

I think whenever the scrollthumbs get hidden it always loses my place on the page too, instead kicking my view back up to the top after rerendering, if that helps. Also I have iOS 13 Dark Mode active, which may be related? (Like perhaps the page starts to rerender, the iOS Dark Mode and the Awful dark theme conflict/combine in some kind of weird codepath, and that causes the scrollthumbs to not be notified that they're appearing on a dark background?)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I use the ViewExif extension to check out image metadata sometimes. I've discovered that using its "save without metadata" feature is a quick and dirty way to duplicate a HEIC to a JPG

Use that jpg with this shortcut (add to your home screen): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/88898c53e7fd4647b4f373170b529524

The result will be a direct imgur link on your clipboard. Tap a blank space in Awful, tap "[img]", then tap "Paste [img]" and it should paste the url pre-wrapped in img tags

I meant to post this a while ago but my work mdm profile disabled icloud drive, preventing me from sharing the shortcut

So that seems fine but the other shortcut works better since you just select paste and it drops in the image with the timg tags already there so its few less taps.

This one

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/4cf3fcab3a0046deb5e904884a46d604

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Folks, that one's better

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Is it possible to make the swipe on the left of the screen to go back more accommodating? I find it much harder to trigger than in other apps.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

theadder posted:

Is it possible to make the swipe on the left of the screen to go back more accommodating? I find it much harder to trigger than in other apps.

Yeah I agree with this. It’s such a common action and triggering a swipe from the right edge seems much easier

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theadder posted:

You're imagining that

The threshold is exactly the same as every other nav stack

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You're imagining that

The threshold is exactly the same as every other nav stack

They aren't.

Its been brought up before but its not an easy fix and I think it is on the list.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

It probably works 1/3rd of the time at best.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

pokeyman posted:

That's lovely! I agree that the unread count changing suggests that Awful is loading a page of posts. But I don't have an explanation for why the app seems to hang. If it's still happening, can y'all try leaving it in the hung state for about 30 seconds and see if it crashes to the home screen? That way I'll get a crash report. If it hasn't crashed after 30 seconds then it probably isn't gonna and you can force quit it.

Just for shits and giggles, updated to iOS 13.2.2, same results.

Deleted the app, rebooted the iPhone, downloaded again from the App Store, I get the same reversed background at the login page and app crashes whenever you select a board afterwards.

Maybe it's an A13 based issue since there was someone with an iPad who had iOS 13.2 who didn't crash? And the other guy who complained had an 11 Pro Max (I have ghetto 11 plain)

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I have an XR and a last-gen iPad. Works fine on the iPad, does as you say on the phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

theadder posted:

It probably works 1/3rd of the time at best.

I’ve gotten better at it but it still can miss.

Of you flip to landscape you can swipe from anywhere on the screen to go back which is how it is on the iPad and it’s nice.

He’s said though that there is some weirdness on the iPhone which makes it difficult to implement it.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

for the past week or so i've not been able to log in with this app on either my iphone 8 or ipad air, despite having no problem logging in via browser on those same devices. what's particularly weird is that i'm having the exact same issue with the android app on my galaxy s8 -- login failed, no matter how many times i put in the correct credentials. is there something screwy going on with the forums in general causing this, or is it something i can fix on my end? does a cache need to be cleared (which i've already tried on the android device but it didn't seem to help), or is there some other glaringly obvious solution i'm missing? any insight at all would be appreciated! :)

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Binary Badger posted:

Deleted the app, rebooted the iPhone, downloaded again from the App Store, I get the same reversed background at the login page and app crashes whenever you select a board afterwards.

Maybe it's an A13 based issue since there was someone with an iPad who had iOS 13.2 who didn't crash? And the other guy who complained had an 11 Pro Max (I have ghetto 11 plain)

Ah but mine is merely a Pro, friend...

Tried the same steps above, no luck. Also tried letting the app hang for 30+ seconds but it did not crash to generate a report. I really do appreciate ya for responding to us lonely souls though, pokeyman, the app is very awesome and I look forward to being able to use it again eventually :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone else here use the built-from-master version of the app? Ever since iOS 13 came out it eventually gets to a point where it just crashes on launch. Of course, running it from Xcode to try and trap the cause of the crash fixes the crash...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Binary Badger posted:

I’m having the same issue, but it started with an iPhone SE. Moved to an 11 Pro, same time thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

I don't see it on my this-gen iPad Pro or my 11 Max Pro, but I'm running the beta. I'll try to test it on the store version at some point today if I can

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I have a Pro max running 3.2.1? I think, no issues at all. Will install 3.2.2 sometime over the weekend probably.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

pokeyman posted:

I also have no idea if we can do anything about it, but I appreciate the heads up and I'll add it to the list!

Good news: it's not every super long name. I wish I had noted down which post it was that I was able to reliably reproduce the problem with (hiding that post was fine, show previous posts added a scrollbar, etc.). But I think that one's name ended in an emoji so it's probably something horrible like the word separation algorithm behaving differently in that case or something.

Also, the other day when the site was making GBS threads itself while posting, I wanted to quote two people so I hit quote on the first one and it worked normally, backed out, hit quote on the second, nothing happened immediately so I hit it again, then it loaded showing both quotes, and then a few seconds later (I assume once the "third" quote went through) the app crashed completely. I dunno if you have crash reporting enabled but even if you do I figured it might help to know how that happened.

I do love the app though, thank you for all the hard work!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I could swear that the thread zoom had a double tap or some other trigger to snap back to 1:1 but on this page it’s just not doing it:

Latest awful latest iOS— did just upgrade ro ios13, could it be related to that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the yeti posted:

I could swear that the thread zoom had a double tap or some other trigger to snap back to 1:1 but on this page it’s just not doing it:

Latest awful latest iOS— did just upgrade ro ios13, could it be related to that?

I’ve been noticing some weird behavior with displaying posted code blocks in the last few days too.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Why does turning my phone sideways sometimes re-orient text in a more pleasant manner, and sometimes open the forum menu?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Please stop resetting our pull for next page setting. It's jarring when all of a sudden it does that after an update.

On ios for reference.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I update Twitter on iOS (13.1.3) the awful app loses the ability to open tweet links in the twitter app and instead uses safari. It usually take a few days to self-correct though

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is the imgur API error ever going to be fixed? I haven’t been able to post photos from the iOS app for months and want to show off my cooking in GWS

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 18, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is the imgur API error ever going to be fixed? I haven’t been able to post photos from the iOS app for months and want to show off my cooking in GWS

Just use the shortcut.

this one

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/54e84355e2494dfdb10c95888ebbcfdd

Uploads and spits out the correct bbcode

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 18, 2019

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MarcusSA posted:

Just use the shortcut.

this one

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/54e84355e2494dfdb10c95888ebbcfdd

Uploads and spits out the correct bbcode

Thank you!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Updated to iOS 13.2.3.

Problems I mentioned before (login screen has inverse video, favorites show but when thread is selected all it does is mark one page's worth unread and locks up after) are still there.

Still using v.3.6.3, which is latest off App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Sorry if this has been posted before. But how can I save an image now?
When opening one I can only send it to another app, not just save it to my images? Using iphone SE with latest iOS.