Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Jumping on the bandwagon for the GOAT tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It looks like the first wave got through. Big thanks to LITERALLY AN ADMIN for dealing with this madness :f5:

EDIT: Also let me know if something got really hosed up with your title in the process. It's a lot of titles so a mistake may slip through.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 5, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Palpek posted:

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

I WANT TARE MONEY AND A LUXURY BENCH

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just bought this game and it's really amazing so far. I am at a crossroads where I punch a child or don't punch a child. It should be an obvious decision but my own poison brain and also my tie are making it harder.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm playing through again with a totally opposite spread of stats... but man it is really hard to pick different ideological dialog options. The communist stuff is just so fun and exuberant! Especially in the conversation with Joyce. Everyone just keeps rolling their eyes at you, and it feels very in-character for Harry to suddenly decide to be a communist after losing his memory.

It is pretty cool actually being able to do things like "use logic" or see those visual calculus things. All this time the game had detective vision and I never knew it. I think the only one I ever saw in my first playthrough was right near the end, when you're figuring out if the sniper could've made the shot. That check is super easy, almost impossible to fail.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Palpek posted:

i've posted less than a dozen times but i still want this

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
So I just finished the game. I loved it, but I found the ending a little jarring for the way my character ended up being. The reveal that Harry is a delusional alcoholic didn't really work for me since I ended up ignoring drugs and booze almost by happenstance I'm just wondering if maybe there were more hints dropped about this that I didn't pick up on or something. It came out of left field, but not enough for me to go "where the gently caress did this come from", more of a "yeah, I guess that fits?" I'll 100% be playing through it as a Hunter S. Thompson Gonzocop next time around. Curious to see what I missed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magic cactus posted:

So I just finished the game. I loved it, but I found the ending a little jarring for the way my character ended up being. The reveal that Harry is a delusional alcoholic didn't really work for me since I ended up ignoring drugs and booze almost by happenstance I'm just wondering if maybe there were more hints dropped about this that I didn't pick up on or something. It came out of left field, but not enough for me to go "where the gently caress did this come from", more of a "yeah, I guess that fits?" I'll 100% be playing through it as a Hunter S. Thompson Gonzocop next time around. Curious to see what I missed.

You can talk to a bunch of people who will tell you how you got drunk and high and blitzed out of your loving mind, and started sucking on your gun yelling at people, while drunk, that you were going to kill yourself because you were worthless poo poo. You then sold your gun for more booze and drugs.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

magic cactus posted:

you wake up almost naked in a trashed hotel room with a bottle in your hand, you have a sizable drink tab from the hotel, and you have a voice in your brain screaming to take any and all illicit substances. the fact that you were an alcoholic isn't a reveal, it's the premise from the first five minutes of the game, man

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Palpek posted:

:emptyquote:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Palpek posted:

I didn't internalise hobocop but I feel like I should have, and it's what I was always meant to be.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
After seeing all the praise this game is getting I'm finally getting to giving it a go. I'm only still at the very start, but the ingame clock and certain comments from PCs and NPCs is making me nervous:

Is there a time limit to solve this case?

Many actions seem to take hours and already the game has commented on that [Introduction Spoiler]the body is decomposing and that my character has already "wasted" 7 days of the case.
I'm the type to get heavily sidetracked and try to uncover everything in games such as these, so I'd like to have a warning if I need to hurry things up. :shobon:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

dmboogie posted:

you wake up almost naked in a trashed hotel room with a bottle in your hand, you have a sizable drink tab from the hotel, and you have a voice in your brain screaming to take any and all illicit substances. the fact that you were an alcoholic isn't a reveal, it's the premise from the first five minutes of the game, man

not just any trashed hotel room, but the room of Lene, the murdered dude, no less.

magic cactus posted:

The reveal that Harry is a delusional alcoholic didn't really work for me since I ended up ignoring drugs and booze almost by happenstance

as others have said, that reveal isn't special as the game spells it out for you throughout, roleplaying as a straight edge just makes it look like Harry turned over a new leaf after drinking himself stupid to become the superstar investigator that he is

Edit: Thanks for the Hobocop

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Palpek posted:

Hell yeah, hobo me up

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lady Galaga posted:

not just any trashed hotel room, but the room of Lene, the murdered dude, no less.

Wait, when does that come up?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One of the few parts where I'm annoyed the game isn't more reactive - the final confrontation has HFP claim that you haven't been drinking for a week, even if you're currently drunk.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lamquin posted:

After seeing all the praise this game is getting I'm finally getting to giving it a go. I'm only still at the very start, but the ingame clock and certain comments from PCs and NPCs is making me nervous:

Is there a time limit to solve this case?

Many actions seem to take hours and already the game has commented on that [Introduction Spoiler]the body is decomposing and that my character has already "wasted" 7 days of the case.
I'm the type to get heavily sidetracked and try to uncover everything in games such as these, so I'd like to have a warning if I need to hurry things up. :shobon:

there are a couple minor scenes you can miss as time goes by, but other than that, there is no time limit

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, when does that come up?

I'm at the point of the game where I just confronted Klaasje and got her to tell me what really happened, and she mentioned Lene staying at the Whirling in a trashy room which happens to looks like your own trashy room, it's not spelled out explicitly

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Turtlicious posted:

You can talk to a bunch of people who will tell you how you got drunk and high and blitzed out of your loving mind, and started sucking on your gun yelling at people, while drunk, that you were going to kill yourself because you were worthless poo poo. You then sold your gun for more booze and drugs.

dmboogie posted:

Yeah I got all that. I think I meant more that the way I ended up (pretty much by accident) playing the character jarred with that established idea. I suppose one way to read it is a kind of fatalistic "you are what you are and you cannot change that" interpretation. That just because you have the option of sobriety in the present (e.g. you have that blank slate of amnesia and the ability to tell electrochemistry to STFU), it doesn't necessarily mean that you automatically have your previous gently caress-ups wiped clean. I'm reminded of Planscape Torment's what can change the nature of a man?. I find it interesting that Disco Elysium's answer appears to be "nothing".

Anyway just some half-baked thoughts on one of the best games I've played in a very long time.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magic cactus posted:

Yeah I got all that. I think I meant more that the way I ended up (pretty much by accident) playing the character jarred with that established idea. I suppose one way to read it is a kind of fatalistic "you are what you are and you cannot change that" interpretation. That just because you have the option of sobriety in the present (e.g. you have that blank slate of amnesia and the ability to tell electrochemistry to STFU), it doesn't necessarily mean that you automatically have your previous gently caress-ups wiped clean. I'm reminded of Planscape Torment's what can change the nature of a man?. I find it interesting that Disco Elysium's answer appears to be "nothing".

Anyway just some half-baked thoughts on one of the best games I've played in a very long time.

Kim stands up for you and talks about how you've managed to remain sober, and your team gives you some credit for that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Palpek posted:

It looks like the first wave got through. Big thanks to LITERALLY AN ADMIN for dealing with this madness :f5:

EDIT: Also let me know if something got really hosed up with your title in the process. It's a lot of titles so a mistake may slip through.

looks great thanks

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/outer-worlds-disco/

Salt.

Edit - yay.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Xander77 posted:

One of the few parts where I'm annoyed the game isn't more reactive - the final confrontation has HFP claim that you haven't been drinking for a week, even if you're currently drunk.
Yeah, I hope they iron out some things like this and spelling errors with a future update. You can ask Lelianne about the sword she's holding even if you're currently holding the sword.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Palpek posted:

Aww yiss. Thank you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

Yeah, I hope they iron out some things like this and spelling errors with a future update. You can ask Lelianne about the sword she's holding even if you're currently holding the sword.

They've been regularly patching it since release, so they'll hopefully keep at it.

edit: How do you get the helmet to the ceramic armor?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: How do you get the helmet to the ceramic armor?
It's one of the items dropped by a particular character at the end. Second spoiler if you've already finished the game:

It's dropped by the phasmid.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

magic cactus posted:

Considering the devs apparently are alcoholics who got sober so they could finish the game, I really don’t think the message is “nothing can change the nature of a man”, even though that exact line comes up in the game. I think the game can be a really uplifting story about hitting bottom, getting sober and putting your life back together if you play it that way. You’re playing the game as a fixed character, not a blank slate. You have more leeway than in, say, The Witcher 3, to determine what kind of person you are, but most aspects of your past and your character are fixed and can’t be changed. I think in AA they say that you can’t stop being an alcoholic, you can only be an alcoholic that doesn’t drink. And one of the major steps towards recovery is facing up to the bad things you’ve done because of drinking and apologizing for them. It would be really discordant with the tone of the game if you could decide the protagonist isn’t actually a really hosed up alcoholic.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don’t feel like disco elysium has ruined anything for me. :shrug: DE’s themes didn’t really resonate and the humor was hit and miss (more hits than missed but when it missed it did so hard) but I really enjoyed the writing, most characters and setting. I liked the detective stuff and unraveling the case, and how it made me feel like some kind of genius savant super cop.

It’s a great game and I like it’s trying to do things a differently - particularly being a proper rpg that is not afraid to not get bogged down with combat when it doesn’t need to, just cause that’s what rpgs do.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Avalerion posted:

I don’t feel like disco elysium has ruined anything for me. :shrug: DE’s themes didn’t really resonate and the humor was hit and miss (more hits than missed but when it missed it did so hard) but I really enjoyed the writing, most characters and setting. I liked the detective stuff and unraveling the case, and how it made me feel like some kind of genius savant super cop.

It’s a great game and I like it’s trying to do things a differently - particularly being a proper rpg that is not afraid to not get bogged down with combat when it doesn’t need to, just cause that’s what rpgs do.

As someone who stands completely outside of this mindset, it’s my observation that there’s a set of people who like RPGs mostly as a story telling medium. For someone like that, I can see Disco Elysium making other games feel lackluster by comparison. Personally, I like RPG combat and usually only really want to play RPGs with good combat systems and strong build variety, so I can’t imagine DE ever influencing my feeling towards another game at all, since it lacks the main thing that appeals to me about all the other games I play.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Palpek posted:

Yes please.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hardened monster hunter: hey random stranger, I know the end of the world is going on but - care for a round of Gwent?
Galaxybrain hobocop: hey random citizen, I know a major murder case is going on but - can you spare some change?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Palpek posted:

Hell yes! Thanks!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Palpek posted:

Yes please this is in my top 3 best written games ever.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Can we give the angry outer worlds guy who tried to troll the thread a Hobocop tag too

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all. On day 5. Anyone know how to open the door for Evrart? When I click on it nothing happens, a sound just plays.

If it's borked, is there any way to either get my gun back or make sure Titus doesn't die during the merc standoff? I really want to save those crazy boys

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Have you found Lenna’s husband if so it might be too late to do that quest.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. On day 5. Anyone know how to open the door for Evrart? When I click on it nothing happens, a sound just plays.

If it's borked, is there any way to either get my gun back or make sure Titus doesn't die during the merc standoff? I really want to save those crazy boys

you have to do it by day 3 but I'm pretty sure you can just go back to him and tell him you hosed it up and it'll move on to the next stage

you can't get your gun back without doing Evrart's second job, but there's alternatives. One alternative involves letting someone shoot themselves in the head so you can take their gun off of their corpse. Not ideal, I know. The other alternative requires you to have befriended a magical necktie. As far as I know these are the only options for mitigating things.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Game just got a 10/10 from Gamespot, their first one in 2 years (since Original Sin 2, and before that Witcher 3). Cool to see the hype keep rolling in!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Palpek posted:

Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

God drat I just performed the field autopsy with Kim and managed to find the bullet

Getting told 'good work, detective' without a trace of irony was a great moment

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 5, 2019