Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1191643487546028032?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lt. Danger posted:

have u visited the united kingdom in 2019??

I hate it when people do this, you don't need to belittle people in order to make a point

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did Corbyn say that or is she pinocchioing again?
Just off to a medical appointment so can't check right now.

He hadn't actually spoken by the time she said that, but he did say that if Labour's deal wins in the Labour referendum, then he would get it done.

So, kinda ignoring an "if-then" statement.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1191683396541571072?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tarnop posted:

You should stop posting

People are allowed to make mistakes about which goon did what, jesus

This is hardly gonna encourage lurkers to post, is it

The Natch
Feb 16, 2011

oh man i love me some nachos

Guavanaut posted:

Latest gaff for Johnson as he slips up and screams White Power at a homeless African man for 10 consecutive minutes. What could this mean?

All we know is that this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

He hadn't actually spoken by the time she said that, but he did say that if Labour's deal wins in the Labour referendum, then he would get it done.

So, kinda ignoring an "if-then" statement.

I think he said he'd get it "sorted" which is subtly different.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did Corbyn say that or is she pinocchioing again?
Just off to a medical appointment so can't check right now.

Corbyn posted:

The irony is, for all his boasting, Johnson’s sell-out deal still won’t get Brexit done. It will lead to years of continuing negotiations and uncertainty.

Whereas Labour’s plan will sort Brexit quickly, because whatever the final decision, we won’t be ripping up our main trading relationship.

The EU negotiator Michel Barnier has said an EU trade deal on Johnson’s terms would take “three years, maybe more” of further negotiations.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah, my posts are at least as bad as Private Speech's, and I'm being aggressively told to post more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesla was right posted:

Yeah, my posts are at least as bad as Private Speech's, and I'm being aggressively told to post more.

You're behind on your posts-per-hour, citizen.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

yeah i agree, it seemed very harsh. like ostracising is the most extreme consequence we can put on posters itt, be ginger with it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Latest gaff for Johnson as he slips up and screams White Power at a homeless African man for 10 consecutive minutes. What could this mean?

Remember when a gaff was Diane Abbot getting some numbers wrong? Well now it's when Iain Duncan Smith is seen masturbating in the window of a Jobcentre as a single mum gets told she's getting her benefits cut off.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
My girlfriend's dad has been pressuring her into opening a Help-To-Buy ISA lately because they're shuttering them at the end of the month. Does anyone in here have experience with them and are they a good idea? I can't help but feel that there's a catch or something, what with it being a Tory scheme and involving housing. I've been looking online but all I can find is articles on money saving blogs and sites and I've got a lot of skepticism for them.

Is there any point to a Help To Buy ISA?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I assume because the bigger door (like 1,5 x 2 meter opening) Couldn't be locked in any way. And he probably got the smaller door on the cheap

That's the point of a fire door! Putting any kind of lock on it immediately makes it into a deathtrap.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

a lovely king posted:

My girlfriend's dad has been pressuring her into opening a Help-To-Buy ISA lately because they're shuttering them at the end of the month. Does anyone in here have experience with them and are they a good idea? I can't help but feel that there's a catch or something, what with it being a Tory scheme and involving housing. I've been looking online but all I can find is articles on money saving blogs and sites and I've got a lot of skepticism for them.

The returns are decent against other ways of low-risk saving money but they’re totally insufficient at addressing the problem they’re meant to address w/r/t unaffordable house prices.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

a lovely king posted:

Might as well if you've got the spare money and will actually be buying a house with it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think they're a good idea, if you're plannng to buy a house in the mid-near future.

It's basically a Tory bribe to young middle class people. They want to make housing more affordable, but don't want house prices to fall, so the solution is to give some people free money to buy a house with (so long as you can prove you're not a poor by putting a chunk of your own money in).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

a lovely king posted:

Broadly, the problem with them is that it only helps folks who already have money, it does nothing to make houses more affordable.

They've changed the schemes a few times, so I can't say for certain you should go for it, but it did end up really useful for us (buying Scotland, where housing is at least somewhat affordable)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Might I suggest that if Rarity forgives Private Speech then it's none of the rest of us's loving business

It should be up to her

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a lovely king posted:

It was a way to give rich people free money while acting like it was for all Britons. It's a good scheme if you can use it, just out of the reach of those less well off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Liberal Democrat manifesto, written by skinhead Chuka Umunna.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Doccykins posted:

the problem with Mogg's constituency is you've got the lib dems heavily focused on splitting the remain vote even though they only got 4k in 2017

quote:

North East Somerset
Majority 10235

Con 28992
Lab 18757
LD 4461
Green 1245
Other 588

Winning here Jacob! :shittydog:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1191678376890847232?s=20
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1191688924269305856?s=20

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

a lovely king posted:

The top-ups are real good, and if you're saving for a house it is your best option. as I understand it

My is doing alright given I've largely ignored it as I don't really much spare cash to put in it. I'm also potentially emigrating so it's nice compared to some other ISAs that I won't lose out any of what I've put in if I don't use it for a house, but it'll lose any top ups.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CoolCab posted:

yeah i agree, it seemed very harsh. like ostracising is the most extreme consequence we can put on posters itt, be ginger with it.

agreed

getting a couple of posters confused is pretty easy to do for lurkers or people who don't post ITT very much, and PS apologised for it too

arbitrarily deciding it's worthy of telling people to get the gently caress out is a pretty cunty response

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*rings up journalist* "stop accurately portraying us as yellow tories or we'll come and break your legs, we've got Johnson's guy on speed dial"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Foster posted:

Might I suggest that if Rarity forgives Private Speech then it's none of the rest of us's loving business

It should be up to her

Yeah, this. Like, those posts were a bit iffy but they've apologised to me and I've accepted it. Please don't hound them any further.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Hi UKMT, hope all's well? I see that Jo is making a twat of herself as usual so that's always nice to see!

Anyway here's a cross post from the C-SPAM pics thread I figured you'd enjoy:

I really like the cute Engles & Marx couple and I figured it might make a nice av if anyone wants it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Haha, Sparrow has correct the "Swinson dim" line (Was "Swinson dismisses Boris Johnson as 'British Donald Trump'" which apparently typoed. In my heart, though, he meant it.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

The top-ups are real good, and if you're saving for a house it is your best option. as I understand it

My is doing alright given I've largely ignored it as I don't really much spare cash to put in it. I'm also potentially emigrating so it's nice compared to some other ISAs that I won't lose out any of what I've put in if I don't use it for a house, but it'll lose any top ups.

What you don't lose is the preferential interest rate compared to 99% of other savings accounts: if you're going to keep money in cash a help to buy ISA will typically have a better interest rate than anything that isn't an account opening offer.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1191687795343052802?s=21

There you go dipshit journos and Lib dems.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rarity posted:

Yeah, this. Like, those posts were a bit iffy but they've apologised to me and I've accepted it. Please don't hound them any further.

sure - I highlight it just to kind of reinforce thread cultural standards less about this specific thing. this is a place, imo at least, where “gently caress off” is considered less harsh than “please stop posting” and I think it’s worth occasionally underlining that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only took a couple years to realise that you need to dumb it down to this level for the stupid loving clown public.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

what an impossibly complicated position that I, someone who’s somehow paid to follow and explain this stuff, somehow cannot fathom it?!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

But what do you mean by “three” Jermy??? This is too complicated!!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Worth really pondering the mental health implications of having to go to work most days and be surrounded by braying Tories. loving hell these guys are made of sterner stuff than me

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

BUT JEREMY CROBNYN NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THIS DEAL ALSO WILL YOU STEP DOWN ALSO DID YOU VOTE LEAVE ALSO HOW WOULD YOU CAMPAIGN ALSO WHY DON'T YOU LOVE BILLIONAIRES

~ Journos and Libdems

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrexNo/status/1191688185257979906?s=20

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Junior G-man posted:

BUT JEREMY CROBNYN NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THIS DEAL ALSO WILL YOU STEP DOWN ALSO DID YOU VOTE LEAVE ALSO HOW WOULD YOU CAMPAIGN ALSO WHY DON'T YOU LOVE BILLIONAIRES

~ Journos and Libdems

AREN'T YOU USING THE NHS FOR POLITICAL GAIN is the new hotness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

What.