Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ballmer gave us a UX designed by a sweat drenched fat bald psychopath

Nadella gave us ads on the start menu as a service and an os where something different is broken in a new and exciting way every week

Difficult to say which is better or worse but yeah one of those definitely generated more recurring revenue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have a pretty stable experience using windows day in day out for years

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

now wait a second! ballmer gave us windows vista, windows 8, the zune, the start button removal, windows phone 7, windowsRT, uh....never mind

can’t believe you left the kin out

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

echinopsis posted:

i have a pretty stable experience using windows day in day out for years

i, too, still primarily use windows 7

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
nadella has essentially ignored windows, allowing the org to continue building the ridiculous wcos bullshit. nadella is focused on selling office subscriptions and azure services. the only major thing he has done with windows is split it in two, giving half to office and half to azure. unfortunately the wcos stupidity somehow survived the re-org, presumably because the new owners in office don't have enough sense to kill it entirely. they did kill the phone variant, though, and decided to repurpose the phone hardware investment as a generic android device. in effect wcos is a dead product walking and has been since the surface duo announcement.

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Admin-Center-Blog/Introducing-the-new-Performance-Monitor-for-Windows/ba-p/957991

New performance monitor program. It runs in the browser (not even electron). Lol even Microsoft has given up on desktop applications.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

just converging the windows janitoring ux with the azure portal ux so that windows janitors feel comfortable with azure. (at least in theory. in practice they've probably already diverged significantly).

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Fiedler posted:

nadella has essentially ignored windows, allowing the org to continue building the ridiculous wcos bullshit. nadella is focused on selling office subscriptions and azure services. the only major thing he has done with windows is split it in two, giving half to office and half to azure. unfortunately the wcos stupidity somehow survived the re-org, presumably because the new owners in office don't have enough sense to kill it entirely. they did kill the phone variant, though, and decided to repurpose the phone hardware investment as a generic android device. in effect wcos is a dead product walking and has been since the surface duo announcement.

what's wcos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Amethyst posted:

what's wcos

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-core-os

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

windows except it supports dual-screen laptops and only runs uwp apps

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

win ce on the dreamcast was the best console project MS has been involved with

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

and even that sucked with terrible overhead which made it useless for anything complex

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 5, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

and even that sucked with terrible overhead which made it useless for anything complex

iirc that's how someone ported snes9x, which was notable for running at 50%-80% of native speed (of the snes)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i remember that.. super mario world was almost playable. if you disabled sound. :whitewater:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

hey how's ARM on Windows MK. II going

The Verge posted:

[Chrome] runs on the Surface Pro X, but I wouldn’t say it sprints. It is discernibly slower than the 64-bit ARM version of Edge on this computer — that’s been true even on Intel computers, but it’s a little slower here. Still, totally usable.

In fact, most of the apps you’ll use day to day are 32-bit x86 apps and they tend to run just a step behind what they’d be on an Intel computer. That includes Microsoft’s own Office apps, by the way, as well as the beta version of the next big update for the Edge browser that’s arriving in January.

More intense apps like Photoshop do technically run on this computer, but they’re so slow they may as well not. Microsoft says that Adobe is committed to creating 64-bit ARM versions of its Creative Cloud apps, but there’s no timeline for when that’ll happen.

Gaming is — quite literally — a non-starter. Fortnite or Xbox Game Pass games simply aren’t installable and while you can install Steam, good luck running anything you download from it. The only gaming that’s possible here are the casual games you’ll find in the Microsoft Store, like Angry Birds 2.

The problem gets worse, though: 64-bit x86 apps won’t run at all on the Surface Pro X. That ironically means some of the most advanced Windows apps can’t work here. It’s particularly depressing for me because Adobe Lightroom (both Lightroom Classic and the more modern Lightroom CC) can’t be installed on the Surface Pro X and several of the popular alternatives from indie developers are also only available as 64-bit x86 apps.

Everybody has one or two apps they absolutely need to do their job. With the Surface Pro X, there’s no real way to know if it will run well (or at all) without doing a ton of research ahead of time. Dropbox, for example, only works as an insular “S-Mode” app and can’t sync your files automatically.

Heck, even Microsoft’s own app store doesn’t properly filter out incompatible apps when you visit it from this computer. You can (and I did!) buy apps in the Microsoft Store and only find out after the fact that they’re incompatible. Microsoft promises that it will fix this issue, but for now consumers are left to their own devices to figure it out.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
in other words, verge score 9/10

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

"good: industrial design / bad: literally everything you want in a tablet / 6.5"

bonus pic of into the breach from the video review

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Microsoft: Still, totally usable.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol this is some early internet’s infinite javascript pop up windows style stuff

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/scammers-are-exploiting-an-unpatched-firefox-bug-to-send-users-into-a-panic/

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019

Bobby Digital posted:

can’t believe you left the kin out

Microsoft secret shopped Verizon stores and gave what they'd believed to be the kin pitch: "I have a kid who wants a smartphone but I want to spy on them," and sales reps always tried to talk them out of it. Ms did not take that well.

Also, after kins service was discontinued within a year of launch, you could get upgraded to any phone for free, so the kin was also a good value.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gg michaelsoft

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chris Knight posted:

gg michaelsoft

[timg]https://Ha6Ut8w.png[/timg]

gg with the url chris

fe: aww you fixed it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yep!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Miley Virus posted:

hey how's ARM on Windows MK. II going

wow. whoever could have foreseen this?

no one, probably

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the throbbing text box with a different phone number than the alert box is a nice touch

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

who is shipping 32 bit x86 apps

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

who is shipping 32 bit x86 apps
Hopefully only people relying on terrible legacy stuff at this point.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Hopefully only people relying on terrible legacy stuff at this point.

Visual Studio, yeah.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i saw all that poo poo and wondered why on earth they didn't just use a low power x86 chip

the reason is incredibly unbelievably dumb

the surface pro x uses an honest-to-god cellphone chipset. a snapdragon/adreno setup just like any android phone.

i'm sure the battery life is great but even if you had a natively compiled firefox or visual studio or photoshop, it's not gonna be real pleasant on a loving cellphone chip

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

fuckin finally https://twitter.com/omgubuntu/status/1191737207205314560

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm sure the battery life is great
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/5/20948092/microsoft-surface-pro-x-review-arm-windows-10-apps-features-specs-price

The third and most common reason to get an ARM Windows computer is battery life. Here, though, I have strange news to report: it’s okay, but it’s not stellar. Other ARM computers promise 20-plus hours of battery, but Microsoft promises a much more modest 13 hours of “typical device usage,” which includes some portion of downtime and keeps the screen at only about one-third of its max brightness.

I didn’t get to 13 hours, but I did get around five to six hours of active use each of the four days I tested it so far — more in the later days as Windows settled down and I started working more within its limitations. By Microsoft’s metric, which includes “a mixture of active use and modern standby,” I’d say I got around nine or 10 hours.

That’s not atrocious by 2019 Intel laptop standards, but the promise of ARM is that I wouldn’t need to be reaching for a charge by mid-afternoon, and I definitely needed to. Especially at the prices Microsoft is charging, I was hoping for more.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok so they used a gutless cellphone chip that's not compatible with any software and it still sucks as bad as a regular x86 laptop with a fast-as-gently caress chip?

why?

i mean, i get like 5-6 hours out of a 4-core i7 with a 17" screen ... how the gently caress can they not beat that with an itty bitty screen and a lovely cellphone chip

what the hell is wrong with microsoft. or windows. or edge.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the chip isn't a cellphone part. previous windows on arm devices used actual cellphone chips and they were unacceptably slow. they designed this chip with a significantly increased power budget to try to meet performance expectations. but if you spend all day running x86 apps (eg chrome) that require emulation, then your battery is going to have a bad time.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

the chip isn't a cellphone part. previous windows on arm devices used actual cellphone chips and they were unacceptably slow. they designed this chip with a significantly increased power budget to try to meet performance expectations. but if you spend all day running x86 apps (eg chrome) that require emulation, then your battery is going to have a bad time.

a cellphone part with a wider power envelope is just an unusually thirsty cellphone part. it's not going to deliver performance like an x86 chip

given that x86 chips are available in a wide range of power envelopes, and even the pretty hungry ones can achieve better battery life than this turd, i think they hosed up

mystes
May 31, 2006

This definitely goes well with the current thread title.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its a bad device no one will buy so it probably doesnt matter

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

*points at passing airplane* cellphone part

i'll grant that the x86 devices provide better battery life when they:
- all ship with bigger batteries, and
- are competing against an arm device that's spending most of its time emulating x86

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think they hosed up

oh, word?

Fiedler posted:

an arm device that's spending most of its time emulating x86

not to put too fine a point on it, but it's almost as if this was an entirely foreseeable reason why this product should not be made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you mean the new office app?