Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

Sort of, but it's also where the British upper class sent people they just didn't like for seriously petty crimes, so natural selection made sure Aussies got the ability to look good on beaches, while we're stuck resembling the non-cute seals doing the judging.

That's why our mongrel accent is so great/awful. It's all the Scot, Irish, cockney chimney sweeps pickpockets and whores mixed together with a dash of toffy english prison guard and cooked in the tropical sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Better than the American accent, which is just Irish ca. 1720 that no one remembered to put back in the fridge

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great ep, but something in that segment always bugged me. Homer is taking bites out of Quimby’s food, so the mayor demands answers and his guards stand up and look towards Homer. So you’d expect Homer to get caught or beat up, but it’s an abrupt cut and nothing happens. Wonder if there was a cut scene of Ned talking down Quimby.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5a9EpBv-Q

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

That guys head exploding always disturbed me a little more than usual Simpsons violence for some reason

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The Duggler posted:

That guys head exploding always disturbed me a little more than usual Simpsons violence for some reason

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Duggler posted:

What's weirder to me is that this was legit in S4 and no one really complained. It's by loving far the darkest they've ever gone visually.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mind the walrus posted:

What's weirder to me is that this was legit in S4 and no one really complained. It's by loving far the darkest they've ever gone visually.

The fog that turns people inside out is much worse

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

homer sucking his eyeball out with the grease vacuum was pretty grotesque too

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lone Goat posted:

homer sucking his eyeball out with the grease vacuum was pretty grotesque too

When i saw that episode i was initially disturbed but the way it kept popping out during the episode made me bust a gut.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

That comes at the end of a Treehouse of Horror, in-particular at the end of a story where the school staff is implied to be eating children and we 'see' Milhouse, Bart, and Lisa fall into the blades of a giant blender.

The melting Homer shot comes apropos of loving nothing in a fairly straightforward episode about Homer forgetting Bart at soccer practice and the two abusing the Big Brother program to one-up each other.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Fourth Reich Motors is pretty dark and graphic, given the context.

https://i.imgur.com/R2VxmEG.mp4

This exhibit is closed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Samuringa posted:

yeah that one still kind of squicks me out. and i hate the musical number they do.

anyway here's a weird milhouse face i noticed

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 5, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcqVNjWoZA

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samuringa posted:

No way, that's totally goofy and cartoonish looking. This poo poo is horrific:

I also found it rather dark when Homer ejects Clinton and Dole out of the space ship and they literally die on camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvTzIOSFyc&t=251s

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

:dudsmile:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Code Jockey posted:

No way, that's totally goofy and cartoonish looking. This poo poo is horrific:

I also found it rather dark when Homer ejects Clinton and Dole out of the space ship and they literally die on camera

That wasn’t disturbing, that was the way it should have been in a just world

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

that was loud and then for me would be followed up with this also loud intro

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

"It's not a lie, if you believe it."
VS
"If I can't see it it's not illegal!"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

double post? that's a shame

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 5, 2019

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

triple post? that's gold Lowtax! gold!

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 5, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Groening should have set his Netflix show in Australia instead of whatever the gently caress Disenchanted is

A continuing disappointment, that's what Disenchanted is.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I know talking about more recent seasons is verboten in threads like this, but either this year or last year there was a whole segment of a Treehouse of Horror that was basically "Homer engaging in autocanibalism is hilarious" that kinda squicked me out.

Like, the whole joke was just Homer cooking and eating parts of his body.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neito posted:

I know talking about more recent seasons is verboten in threads like this, but either this year or last year there was a whole segment of a Treehouse of Horror that was basically "Homer engaging in autocanibalism is hilarious" that kinda squicked me out.

The one where he had a donut for a head really made me cringe from ick

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Remember when Treehouse of Horror was actually fun to watch and not just endless movie parodies

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Neito posted:

There's also a "new" episode that aired in 2010 which featured Sideshow Bob switching faces with another inmate to escape prison and faces get peeled off a couple of times. By modern Simpsons standards I thought that episode was pretty good!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpazmasterX posted:

Remember when Treehouse of Horror was actually fun to watch and not just endless movie parodies

You mean, when it was endless Twilight Zone parodies?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Remember the Treehouse of Horror where Bart and Lisa are cast in a movie and killed by a helicopter.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

I remember half of this

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bar Crow posted:

Remember the Treehouse of Horror where Bart and Lisa are cast in a movie and killed by a helicopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DpOa7VPNW0

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SpazmasterX posted:

Treehouse of Horror being movie parodies isn't the problem (the Treehouse of Horror parody of The Shining is one of the best things the show has ever), the problem is they're lazy poorly written parodies.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

They were always movie parodies, you just didn't get them. I love watching old movies as an adult and thinking "oh, so this is the joke they were making!"

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Classic Treehouse parodies remembered to have jokes, not just references, and the references themselves were often quite subtle eg when King Homer grabs Marge, it's shot like the original scene with a giant prop arm.

"I think women and seamen don't mix" is my favourite joke I didn't get as a kid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Yes. It was better. Less trend-chasing.

Even when they did movie parodies back then they were rarely contemporaneous, and the one kind-of contemporary one they did (Coppola's Dracula) is one of the worst Treehouse skits of the entire golden age.

Now they jump right to Stranger Things or the Shape of Water because "eh what else we gonna do to get eyeballs?"

There is probably a :krad: alternate universe where a Treehouse version of Candyman starring Dr. Hibbert exists though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mind the walrus posted:

Yes. It was better. Less trend-chasing.

Even when they did movie parodies back then they were rarely contemporaneous, and the one kind-of contemporary one they did (Coppola's Dracula) is one of the worst Treehouse skits of the entire golden age.

Now they jump right to Stranger Things or the Shape of Water because "eh what else we gonna do to get eyeballs?"

There is probably a :krad: alternate universe where a Treehouse version of Candyman starring Dr. Hibbert exists though.

That's interesting, because my friend and I were talking about how weird it is that the parodies seem to come like... Three years later than they should. This seems most noticable with the Avatar parody, which happened in 2011, well after everyone forgot anything about Avatar other than "3D" and "Blue People".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's because for Simpsons production time it's still a year or two turnaround from conception to air. Doing Stranger Things and Shape of Water now, or Avatar in 2011 is immediate by their production timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the classic treehouse movie parodies were at least sticking to horror movies like the shining or nightmare on elm street. i think one of the last ones i saw before tapering off watching new episodes in the early 2000s had a harry potter riff and even then i didn't like that shift