Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slowpoke! posted:

National polls are misleading.

We should be looking at polling for battleground states. Trump is in trouble in some, but for many it is only Biden who is leading Trump comfortably. Warren and Sanders are behind or even in many battleground state polls.

Yup. We live in a hell earth were a 10 point win would not be enough if rural states continue to support Trump in his dismantling of the government. I'd like to hope a recession would hurt him, but those just tend to polarize toward people pushing minorities out to make room for the white working class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1191697612191219712?s=19

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nail Rat posted:

Look at a list of Chinese years I assume.

The work's already done and you can just look online (or at a placemat in a restaurant depending on where you live) and see them listed by the years we use today.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored/status/1191489878724403200

HOLYYYYYY SHIIIIITTTTTTTT

Just.....the gall to utter these words

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is interesting- was is part of your schooling or did you have access to a computer separately and played it?

My take on the Oregon Trail Generation is that starting in the late 80s, everyone who had a computer class in elementary or middle school played that game at some point. I know not everyone had those classes, but it's still a large part of the population that has the shared experience of playing it in class, not outside of it.
So it's a generation that was basically in elementary school right as computers were being stuck in a bunch of schools around the country. Not solidly gen x, not solidly millennial.

The dumb thing about "Oregon Trail generation" is that a lot of schools kept those crappy Apple IIs or Tandys around until like 2000, so it's just a bunch of Gen Xers not realizing that Millennials also played Oregon trail.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

friendbot2000 posted:

"Oh wait, I don't have socks!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
edit: Thought the forums ate my first post, this one is a waste of space.

As are all my posts

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Data Graham posted:

It's always seemed crazy to me that one ~6-year period of privation during one's youth can imprint you so hard that 80 subsequent years of life as a functioning adult in a prosperous country can't teach you different habits.

I mean, i know for a fact that the Great Recession hosed me up.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1191470625883185152

Pete's supporters are a buncha white-rear end dorks

Panic! At The Poorly-Attended Rally

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is loving BULLSHIT. 9/11 happened the year that kids born in '83, ie: Millennials, turned 18, and a whole bunch of them went off to the Middle East to be blown up by IEDs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

i am harry posted:

This is loving BULLSHIT. 9/11 happened the year that kids born in '83, ie: Millennials, turned 18, and a whole bunch of them went off to the Middle East to be blown up by IEDs.

Also, some of us graduated college in 2008

If you want to say the job market was better in 93, then you are dumb

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
On the one hand, astrology is not a thing I'm into or care about. On the other hand, metal monkey is pretty rad.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is interesting- was is part of your schooling or did you have access to a computer separately and played it?

My take on the Oregon Trail Generation is that starting in the late 80s, everyone who had a computer class in elementary or middle school played that game at some point. I know not everyone had those classes, but it's still a large part of the population that has the shared experience of playing it in class, not outside of it.
So it's a generation that was basically in elementary school right as computers were being stuck in s bunch of schools around the country. Not solidly gen x, not solidly millennial.

I only ever played the game in school. We had a computer room in our Elementary school. It even had a robot!

The district I was in when we played it was probably wealthy but I moved to another town later on that was backwoods by comparison, and kids my age knew what I was talking about there, too.

But yea, I don't think Oregon trail is a great demarcation of a generation.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

The “funniest” thing about this is that the family isn’t even from Utah. They’re American citizens living in Mexico, but they’re part of a Mormon offshoot group so our Brain Genius in chief saw Mormon and thought Utah!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

2016 broke alot of brains. i dont think trumps loss is 100% guaranteed. but i think all of the poo poo happening with him, plus impeachment, i also think it helps that he isnt an "unknown" anymore. i think alot of people get now that he really is just a stupid rear end in a top hat who does evil stupid awful for petty wrathful reasons. and id like to think alot more people hate that than love it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Slowpoke! posted:

National polls are misleading.

We should be looking at polling for battleground states. Trump is in trouble in some, but for many it is only Biden who is leading Trump comfortably. Warren and Sanders are behind or even in many battleground state polls.

Hillary won the national vote by just 2 points and only lost the 3 critical states by a combined 90k votes. It’s not an exact correlation but if the Dem in 2020 goes on to win the national vote by a much wider margin, say 8 points like Obama in 2008, it’s essentially guaranteed that they carried those states.

Btw for funsies someone on another site looked at some polls from November 2015 that had the hypothetical Hillary/Trump matchup and the predictions were much closer than people remember. CNN had Hillary +3. PPP, which is a Dem affiliated outfit, had her at only + 1. Once the Republican debates had been going on for a while and the primaries were close, meaning Trump had well established himself since the summer when he was just considered a joke, Hillary never had the giant lead that people incorrectly seem to recall.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Whether or not it’s a good thing, I remember reading that younger people don’t buy “luxurious items” anymore at least partially because even when they have savings they feel that one bad day will just wipe it all out. So while it’s not hoarding food it’s still the economy influencing behavior like it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

2016 broke alot of brains. i dont think trumps loss is 100% guaranteed. but i think all of the poo poo happening with him, plus impeachment, i also think it helps that he isnt an "unknown" anymore. i think alot of people get now that he really is just a stupid rear end in a top hat who does evil stupid awful for petty wrathful reasons. and id like to think alot more people hate that than love it.

This presumes all those "but what if Trump is really a moderate!?" takes weren't just establishment Republicans trying to justify their foregone conclusion without looking racist. 99% of those "I voted for Trump and now I regret it" stories end with "but I'll do it again in 2020."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

smug n stuff posted:

The “funniest” thing about this is that the family isn’t even from Utah. They’re American citizens living in Mexico, but they’re part of a Mormon offshoot group so our Brain Genius in chief saw Mormon and thought Utah!!

Hey Mexico, you better take care of our citizens living in your country better *locks up your citizens in concentration camps*

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Data Graham posted:

It's always seemed crazy to me that one ~6-year period of privation during one's youth can imprint you so hard that 80 subsequent years of life as a functioning adult in a prosperous country can't teach you different habits.

Food insecurity and digging stuff out of trashcans to try to bring home something extra to eat doesn't have to go on for long before it makes a huge impact.

Food insecurity is such a jarring thing that there's almost always this little thing in the back of your mind saying, "what if it happened again?" and you want to never, ever, be unprepared (somehow) ever again.

What's funny is that with the whole milk shaking fascists thing I was extremely conflicted because on the one hand gently caress fascists that's hilarious, but on the other... those were good milkshakes somebody could have eaten and I get all :smith: about it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

friendbot2000 posted:

thanks to the comments I learned this guy's wife killed two people in a boating accident and her punishment will be..a $10,000 fine.

A: I don't believe this rear end in a top hat would LET his wife drive his boat.
2: Not that a small fine isn't the right punishment for killing a rich person, but I suspect I would have gotten a harsher sentence.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

theflyingorc posted:

Also, some of us graduated college in 2008

If you want to say the job market was better in 93, then you are dumb

I was slated to graduate in 2007 but clairvoyantly knew the economy was going to take a poo poo so I delayed (hosed up a lot, postponing graduation) until 2011 :smug:

Also gently caress that guy, I had friends that died in Iraq that were born in 1985.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

This presumes all those "but what if Trump is really a moderate!?" takes weren't just establishment Republicans trying to justify their foregone conclusion without looking racist. 99% of those "I voted for Trump and now I regret it" stories end with "but I'll do it again in 2020."

There were a not insignificant number of Obama-Trump voters believe it or not. I don’t understand it, it shouldn’t make sense, but there were many. Those people may not go back to voting for a Dem but they might easily just sit the election out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
VA Absentee Vote Info 2019

Source: VPAP https://www.vpap.org/visuals/visual/profile-2019-absentee-voters/

They also are doing an election prediction game if you think you're an absolute expert and know how everything will go.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K69RHB8

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t understand it, it shouldn’t make sense,

Misogyny.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

The dumb thing about "Oregon Trail generation" is that a lot of schools kept those crappy Apple IIs or Tandys around until like 2000, so it's just a bunch of Gen Xers not realizing that Millennials also played Oregon trail.

"oregon trail generation" is bad shorthand for old millenials, probably the average goon

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

OB_Juan posted:

I like these. How did you determine them?

Year you were born + elemental cycle of that year. It's useful to use a calculator if you have a jan/Feb birthday because the Chinese calendar is lunisolar and wobbles a little. So 4716 (pig) started on Feb 5th 2019 and 4717 will start on Jan 25th.

Then look up the traits. For example, earth oxen are crazy lucky.

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/china-five-elements-philosophy.htm

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

smug n stuff posted:

Oh, so one of the polygamist/pedophile enclaves

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ManBoyChef posted:

They really don't care about reality. How do you debate people that fundamentally disagree about what reality is? It just seems like we are talking past each other and there is no way to convince these folks that they may be wrong and to follow the evidence. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I'd like to be able to talk to my family about politics at some point but its so frustrating when we can't agree on what is real.

"Okay Boomer" seems to sink in pretty hard tbh

The idea that you would just openly dismiss any of their insane or bigoted poo poo outright as the stupidity that it is seems to really gently caress with their heads

Some of them want to make it a slur on par with the n-word for god sakes

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It is as it always has been. Turnout, turnout, turnout. If we let ourselves sit home and disengage he'll win because Republicans turn out. If we surpass 2018 Trump will be defeated. I don't see that any narrative or current hoopla has changed that simple fundamental truth. We need to show up in numbers next year, and get everyone we know who cares to do likewise.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh, so one of the polygamist/pedophile enclaves

Yep. There doesn't seem to be any indication that the people killed were polygamists, but the community they were living in was founded in the 40s by Mormons mad that the institutional church wouldn't let them do polygamy.

I have a lot of Mormon ancestors and find this stuff really interesting--the Lebaron family, which the people killed were part of, have a crazy story, brothers murdering brothers over leadership of their sect, all that good stuff.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Virginia elections today, apparently the early turnout in blue areas has been overwhelming.

This is important because if the Dems take a strong majority of the Virginia house and Senate, they can ratfuck the GOP in 2020 redistricting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

It is as it always has been. Turnout, turnout, turnout. If we let ourselves sit home and disengage he'll win because Republicans turn out. If we surpass 2018 Trump will be defeated. I don't see that any narrative or current hoopla has changed that simple fundamental truth. We need to show up in numbers next year, and get everyone we know who cares to do likewise.

I see around a lot that people think that Dems did so well in 2018 because Republicans were just demoralized and didn’t turn out because Trump wasn’t on the ticket. But they did turnout, in record numbers. It’s just that Dems turned out in historic numbers to counter it.

Republicans enthusiasm to vote is always high. It’s always higher than Dems. It’s usually like double or more in past years. But recent polling has shown that Dem enthusiasm for 2020 is just about on par with Republicans which bodes well.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 5, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You'd like to think, but like you said, 2016 broke me. I spent 17 years in retail and I thought I had a pretty good handle on just how stupid and lovely the general public can be as a whole. And then Trump got elected and I realized I wasn't even close.

Tribalism is probably the most uniting force we have, and the right uses hate and fear to increase and indoctrinate their ranks to keep them loyal and uninformed. It works like a charm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

axeil posted:

VA Absentee Vote Info 2019

Source: VPAP https://www.vpap.org/visuals/visual/profile-2019-absentee-voters/

They also are doing an election prediction game if you think you're an absolute expert and know how everything will go.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K69RHB8

Isn't 28% absentee voting for the first time kind of an insane amount?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

You'd like to think, but like you said, 2016 broke me. I spent 17 years in retail and I thought I had a pretty good handle on just how stupid and lovely the general public can be as a whole. And then Trump got elected and I realized I wasn't even close.

Tribalism is probably the most uniting force we have, and the right uses hate and fear to increase and indoctrinate their ranks to keep them loyal and uninformed. It works like a charm.

There is one iron law in US politics right now: when Democrats vote, they win. They greatly outnumber the GOP.

They didn't vote in 2016 because they weren't excited by Hillary and also convinced themselves Trump wasn't going to win, so why bother. There's pretty much no chance of low turnout happening in 2020.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I guess it's kinda dumb to correct the baseball man, but those are the most cherry picked age brackets he could possibly have used.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

smug n stuff posted:

Yep. There doesn't seem to be any indication that the people killed were polygamists, but the community they were living in was founded in the 40s by Mormons mad that the institutional church wouldn't let them do polygamy.

I have a lot of Mormon ancestors and find this stuff really interesting--the Lebaron family, which the people killed were part of, have a crazy story, brothers murdering brothers over leadership of their sect, all that good stuff.

It's not really my bailiwick but I know there's still a lot of Mormons that expat to Mexico for those same reasons, e.g. some of Warren Jeffs' people.

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Execution-Style-Murders-Expose-Polygamous-Cult-in-Mexico-20171111-0023.html

quote:

The execution-style murder of three U.S. males – two of them teenagers – has cast damning light on a polygamist Mormon cult in Mexico, following the arrest of its fugitive leader.

RELATED:
Mormon Church Being Sued for Sexual Abuse of Navajo Children

Orson Black Jr., 56, had been on the run for more than 15 years after being charged with five felony counts of sexual misconduct against two minors in Arizona, where he is still wanted.

Last weekend, more than 100 law-enforcement officials descended on his remote five-hectare Rancho El Negro compound in the north Mexican state of Chihuahua, in a predominantly German-speaking Mennonite community.

The state has been a safe haven for Mormon polygamists since 1885, when the mainstream church sent 350 families – including that of Mitt Romney’s grandfather – across the border to avoid federal prosecution, reports Rolling Stone magazine.

.... what a segue!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't 28% absentee voting for the first time kind of an insane amount?

28% of 122k is only ~34,000 and we have no idea what districts they're voting in nor what party they voted for/their party ID.

If they're all up in Arlington that's not really going to help anything, we need solid numbers Commonwealth-wide.

It's not bad news, but I wouldn't call it good news either. Just interesting.

I personally am somewhat pessimistic and think we only manage to take the House (because it got un-gerrymandered) and fall short in the Senate because both Dem and GOP voters turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rigel posted:

There is one iron law in US politics right now: when Democrats vote, they win. They greatly outnumber the GOP.

They didn't vote in 2016 because they weren't excited by Hillary and also convinced themselves Trump wasn't going to win, so why bother. There's pretty much no chance of low turnout happening in 2020.

While you're not wrong, the right has consistently resisted ANY measure of election security whatsoever. They've enacted voter suppression tactics. Hell, you thought Russia interfered LAST time? That's nothing compared to what they're going to do. There's a better than 50/50 chance that this election will be completely illegitimate.