Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored/status/1191489878724403200

HOLYYYYYY SHIIIIITTTTTTTT

Just.....the gall to utter these words

All of the people on Shark Tank are awful human beings but he is by far the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

"Okay Boomer" seems to sink in pretty hard tbh

The idea that you would just openly dismiss any of their insane or bigoted poo poo outright as the stupidity that it is seems to really gently caress with their heads

Some of them want to make it a slur on par with the n-word for god sakes

They can't handle it probably because of the whole "respect your elders" mantra, coupled with the years of being handed everything. The idea that anybody would be dismissive of their (increasingly wrong) worldview is seen as the ultimate insult to the boomer generation.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

There is one iron law in US politics right now: when Democrats vote, they win. They greatly outnumber the GOP.

They didn't vote in 2016 because they weren't excited by Hillary and also convinced themselves Trump wasn't going to win, so why bother. There's pretty much no chance of low turnout happening in 2020.

I'm not so sure about the bolded. A lot of people hate Trump, so maybe that's enough, but if we get Biden as a candidate I'd be worried about that depressing turnout and enthusiasm. Do people go to the polls to vote against a candidate they hate or do they go to vote for one they're inspired by? I'd imagine they're more likely to do the latter. And Biden fuckin sucks and inspires nothing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yeah those are called Democrats.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

While you're not wrong, the right has consistently resisted ANY measure of election security whatsoever. They've enacted voter suppression tactics. Hell, you thought Russia interfered LAST time? That's nothing compared to what they're going to do. There's a better than 50/50 chance that this election will be completely illegitimate.

This suppression stuff (making it hard to register, intentionally causing long lines, etc) matters very little unless you are talking about an election where the Dem should have barely won by a few tenths. Russia influenced the election through propaganda and the email leaks, they didn't actually impact the election night vote at all. "50/50 illegitimate" is an insanely pessimistic estimate.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not so sure about the bolded. A lot of people hate Trump, so maybe that's enough, but if we get Biden as a candidate I'd be worried about that depressing turnout and enthusiasm. Do people go to the polls to vote against a candidate they hate or do they go to vote for one they're inspired by? I'd imagine they're more likely to do the latter. And Biden fuckin sucks and inspires nothing.

The Dems are not going to give a tinker's drat who their candidate is on election night. There will be a few loud nuts whining about staying home, but we have plenty of evidence from 2017-present (including today) that the Dems are just marching to the polls, voting D, and going home.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

I personally am somewhat pessimistic and think we only manage to take the House (because it got un-gerrymandered) and fall short in the Senate because both Dem and GOP voters turn out.

If that scenario happens I think the Dems are still slightly favored to take the Senate thanks to suburban demographic shift. It'll look like the 2018 House races. I've got my eye on the Sturtevant vs. Hashmi matchup in the Richmond suburbs, personally; that district has been really close in all of the last several elections and Sturtevant isn't doing the "pretend to be a Democrat and hope the suburban white college graduate women don't notice" thing, so it's a direct base turnout contest.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I honestly can't wait to see how Trump does in a debate now that he's had 4 years of terrible poo poo performance in the public eye, along with dealing with an impeachment.

But yeah, no matter what, go vote and get others to vote. If you're in some high position in a company, find a way to have your employees get the time to vote. Offer to drive friends and family, do your research ahead of time.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Coredump posted:

I wonder how many congress people are solidly gen X at this point.

That's not Gen X, that's "Boomer Brain"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ringo Star Get posted:

I honestly can't wait to see how Trump does in a debate now that he's had 4 years of terrible poo poo performance in the public eye, along with dealing with an impeachment.

As we saw with W, if your message is "government bad" you can effectively run as a new candidate with no record and it will work just fine.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There were a not insignificant number of Obama-Trump voters believe it or not. I don’t understand it, it shouldn’t make sense, but there were many. Those people may not go back to voting for a Dem but they might easily just sit the election out.

It's because leadership is ultimately about creating a distinct vision of the future and bringing people together to create that future. Mind you Trump is a con man who's talent lies in tricking his followers into believing that he shares their vision of the future- but he is none the less engaging in leadership.

People respond to leadership, people will always respond to leadership, and no matter how carefully crafted your policy proposals are, they are not leadership or anything like it. America always chooses the strongest leader to be president- that's why Kerry and Gore and Hillary all failed*. Because they didn't even attempt to be leaders, they projected themselves as hyper competent managers and people don't respond to management.

People embrace leadership.

*They were the weakest leaders in their respective races by sheer dint of not even trying to be a leader

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 5, 2019

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Rigel posted:

This suppression stuff (making it hard to register, intentionally causing long lines, etc) matters very little unless you are talking about an election where the Dem should have barely won by a few tenths. Russia influenced the election through propaganda and the email leaks, they didn't actually impact the election night vote at all. "50/50 illegitimate" is an insanely pessimistic estimate.

Considering what happened in Georgia in 2018, I’m going to guess we’ll see more of that in 2020. They really didn’t suffer for the blatant cheating, and considering Trump will likely legitimately win Florida, small efforts in other states can lock the Democratic nominee out of a path for victory.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ringo Star Get posted:

But yeah, no matter what, go vote and get others to vote. If you're in some high position in a company, find a way to have your employees get the time to vote. Offer to drive friends and family, do your research ahead of time.

I don't think he'll participate in any of the debates. He'll bow out citing media bias against him or whatever. If he does participate, he'll just go off on rants that have nothing at all to do with the debate topic, suck his own dick, and Fox News will declare him a better orator than Lincoln and Obama combined.

If he does bow out I hope the Dem candidate is smart enough to hold a nationally televised town hall or something to that effect to get their policy message out there.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ringo Star Get posted:

There's also the fact that his brain is even more liquidified than it was. 2016 Trump was an incoherent mess but he was a master orator compared to him now

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he just skips the debates entirely, claiming he's too busy dealing with some (manufactured) crisis. He skipped a few of the early 2016 primary debates to basically no loss.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Prester Jane posted:

It's because leadership is ultimately about creating a distinct vision of the future and bringing people together to create that future. Mind you Trump is a con man who's talent lies in tricking his followers into believing that he shares their vision of the future- but he is none the less engaging in leadership.

People respond to leadership, people will always respond to leadership, and no matter how carefully crafted your policy proposals are, they are not leadership or anything like it. America always chooses the strongest leader to be president- that's why Kerry and Gore and Hillary all failed*. Because they didn't even attempt to be leaders, they projected themselves as hyper competent managers and people don't respond to management.

People embrace leadership.

*They were the weakest leaders in their respective races by sheer dint of not even trying to be a leader

People always vote for leadership.

Except in primaries, where they never vote for leadership, therefore the weakest leaders always win.

But in the general, all of the people who didn't vote in the primaries for leadership vote for leadership because leadership always excites them to vote, except in the primaries where it never does.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Edmund Lava posted:

Considering what happened in Georgia in 2018, I’m going to guess we’ll see more of that in 2020. They really didn’t suffer for the blatant cheating, and considering Trump will likely legitimately win Florida, small efforts in other states can lock the Democratic nominee out of a path for victory.

My point is "small efforts in other states" (amounting to perhaps a couple tenths or so), are not going to be nearly enough if Trump is losing by 3-5% in key states. Suppression is a tiebreaker for the GOP.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

skeleton warrior posted:

Except in primaries, where they never vote for leadership, therefore the weakest leaders always win.

But in the general, all of the people who didn't vote in the primaries for leadership vote for leadership because leadership always excites them to vote, except in the primaries where it never does.

Listen buddy, I've got an unfalsifiable premise based on loosely defined terms, what do YOU have?

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Saw a lot of posts from Trump's Lexington rally last night, but I actually find a lot of hope in this one:

The dude can't even fill a stadium in Kentucky? That's a real bad sign.

Hoping we get a lot of early reports on huge turnout today, as that'll kind of be the first sign of how that race is going to go down. I grew up in Kentucky and my Facebook feed is filled with the outrage of every single KY teacher I know who's just livid with Bevin as gov. I don't want to get my hopes up, but if this kind of rally is the best defense Trump has for him I think today may be an interesting one.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Small brain: Russia attempts to interfere with the election.
Big brain: Russia attempts to publicly interfere with the election.
Galaxy brain: Russia attempts to publicly interfere with the election and Trump tries to use it as proof of DNC collusion against him and attempts to cancel the election.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Also in voting news, my new (old) county has these machines now:

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2019/10/21/early-voting--here-s-a-look-at-travis-county-s-new-voting-machines

If your precinct doesn't have these or something similar for 2020 STORM YOUR COUNTY REGISTRAR IN NUMBERS AND DEMAND THEM. The voting machines work 100% on paper copies you visually inspect before submitting, has no local storage, and you feed the ballot you get back into a machine that keeps both a digital tally and secures the paper ballots for a physical count too. 100% no excuse for any precinct in America not having something like this. At this point if your precinct isn't getting these machines it's 1) intentional voter suppression or 2) an overt willingness to run unfair elections or both. I was glad to see my county invested in good equipment. Last time I was here it was...lacking.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 5, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skeleton warrior posted:

Your argument would make sense in a vacuum, but you are ignoring the immense amount of resources that the Democratic establishment pours into ensuring that its preferred candidates are the ones that win the primary. You cannot even pretend that the Democratic establishment does not do everything in its power to tilt the scales in its favor.

If the primaries were actually a fair contest then you would have a valid counterargument here.

Edit: your counter argument also completely ignores the fact that the people running as soulless managers (instead of running as leaders) always lose the general election- no matter how bad or incompetent their opponent was.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 5, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TulliusCicero posted:

"Okay Boomer" seems to sink in pretty hard tbh

The idea that you would just openly dismiss any of their insane or bigoted poo poo outright as the stupidity that it is seems to really gently caress with their heads

Some of them want to make it a slur on par with the n-word for god sakes

It really is astonishingly effective at loving with them. Almost feels like gen Z found an exploit in the Boomer boss code.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Trump is not skipping any debates. We've been over this. His brain is so loving broken that he thinks he won the ones in 2016, and he loves being on TV. Why would he refuse to do debates?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

That's not Gen X, that's "Boomer Brain"

That's my point. I beginning to wonder how much poo poo Gen X is beginning to do but no one notices as most everyone are lost in the boomers vs millennials arguments.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'd be pretty happy and willing to toxx that Trump doesn't win the popular vote, even this far out and not knowing who the Democratic candidate would be, but that doesn't really say a lot. Trump's electoral chances relied on the semi-random nature of Battleground States in 2016, and he'll be relying on that as well in 2020. On top of that, winning control of the Senate is incredibly important and all those Senate races are hideously local.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump gets wrecked in an electoral vote landslide and I still end up crying into my beer at 4 AM over Joni Earnst and Thom Tillis surviving.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Our area has two varieties -
First is a paper scantron ballot that is retained after a digital tally. That's at my local precinct.

Second is similar to those, where there is both a digital tally and a printed paper record of the tally. That's the county early voting machines.

Both retain a physical copy, which I agree is vital.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

i am harry posted:

This is loving BULLSHIT. 9/11 happened the year that kids born in '83, ie: Millennials, turned 18, and a whole bunch of them went off to the Middle East to be blown up by IEDs.

To be fair they're probably thinking about gen X'ers going to fight the first gulf war in the early 90s. But back then it was a totally different atmosphere vs. post-9/11 and the second gulf war. Folks that joined to fight the first one were doing it more because they needed the GI benefits, etc. and less out of some patriotic duty. The first war was just weird--like it was played up as a 'tech demo' of all the cool new killing tech the end of the cold war brought us. Stealth jets, apache helicopters, A10 warthogs, patriot missiles, laser guided bombs, night vision on every soldier, M1 abrams tanks... they sold the poo poo out of service as basically playing real life desert Call of Duty (but 10 years before it even existed).

The second war, after 9/11, was way different and had tons of folks enlist out of a patriotic duty and service.

edit: For a real trip, watch old Army recruiting commercials from the 90s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9pxvEbILs
It was basically, join the Army and play Rambo!

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

To be fair they're probably thinking about gen X'ers going to fight the first gulf war in the early 90s. But back then it was a totally different atmosphere vs. post-9/11 and the second gulf war. Folks that joined to fight the first one were doing it more because they needed the GI benefits, etc. and less out of some patriotic duty. The first war was just weird--like it was played up as a 'tech demo' of all the cool new killing tech the end of the cold war brought us. Stealth jets, apache helicopters, A10 warthogs, patriot missiles, laser guided bombs, night vision on every soldier, M1 abrams tanks... they sold the poo poo out of service as basically playing real life desert Call of Duty (but 10 years before it even existed).

The second war, after 9/11, was way different and had tons of folks enlist out of a patriotic duty and service.

Bill Hicks was a prophet ahead of his time and he knew it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_whePVoqOY

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gen Xers that openly side with Boomers over their younger cohorts and share facebook boomer memes and rant about millenials are like the older ignored child desperately trying to get Boomer Daddy's attention by helping them bully

The "Don Jr." Of Generations jfc

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tacier posted:

I'd argue that it's easy to read that transcript and not see anything wrong with it if you're a Trump loyalist whose fealty requires you not to read between the lines even a little bit. I wonder if people will still wear the shirts once the transcript's omissions become public and the implicit becomes explicit.

*pulls up the transcript*
*ctrl-f "quid pro quo"*
"no results"
You were saying libtard? :smuggo: :smuggo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Jaster posted:

Saw a lot of posts from Trump's Lexington rally last night, but I actually find a lot of hope in this one:

The dude can't even fill a stadium in Kentucky? That's a real bad sign.

Hoping we get a lot of early reports on huge turnout today, as that'll kind of be the first sign of how that race is going to go down. I grew up in Kentucky and my Facebook feed is filled with the outrage of every single KY teacher I know who's just livid with Bevin as gov. I don't want to get my hopes up, but if this kind of rally is the best defense Trump has for him I think today may be an interesting one.

Uhhh, yeah that's surprising considering the location.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

VH4Ever posted:

At this point if your precinct isn't getting these machines it's 1) intentional voter suppression or 2) an overt willingness to run unfair elections or both. I was glad to see my county invested in good equipment. Last time I was here it was...lacking.

One of the more plausible conspiracy theories is that project ORCA in 2012 was actually an upgraded version of the machine tampering that happened in 2004. It just didn't work. That's why Rove had his famous meltdown. It is shocking to lose when you've rigged the vote.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Generation chat is the most tedious bullshit.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Year you were born + elemental cycle of that year. It's useful to use a calculator if you have a jan/Feb birthday because the Chinese calendar is lunisolar and wobbles a little. So 4716 (pig) started on Feb 5th 2019 and 4717 will start on Jan 25th.

Then look up the traits. For example, earth oxen are crazy lucky.

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/china-five-elements-philosophy.htm

This thing says all of the primary colors are unlucky for me. Kinda makes sense tbh

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

bobjr posted:

Whether or not it’s a good thing, I remember reading that younger people don’t buy “luxurious items” anymore at least partially because even when they have savings they feel that one bad day will just wipe it all out. So while it’s not hoarding food it’s still the economy influencing behavior like it.

Yeah man. Im a millenial. I have some savings but I'm really worried I am one trip to the hospital away from being ruined. Right now I'm paying on hospital bills and I am disabled for the reason I ended up in the hospital. I am on disability and it is not enough even for meager subsistence. Basically I know that even though I have the money to get something nice for myself or my son I just can't do it for fear of something happening to the car, the house, or the family.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

This thing says all of the primary colors are unlucky for me. Kinda makes sense tbh

Very rude and accurate of it to say my color is white and my shape is round.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

InsertPotPun posted:

thanks to the comments I learned this guy's wife killed two people in a boating accident and her punishment will be..a $10,000 fine.

A: I don't believe this rear end in a top hat would LET his wife drive his boat.
2: Not that a small fine isn't the right punishment for killing a rich person, but I suspect I would have gotten a harsher sentence.

do you think he was drunk and driving a boat and he made his wife claim she was driving?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Handsome Ralph posted:

Uhhh, yeah that's surprising considering the location.

Sent that photo to my MIL who is a UK fan and very pissed about the event. She's forwarding it to her sole remaining trumper friend who texted her this morning about how Trump "filled that huge stadium". She won't get through to her, but bringing a boomer sadness is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CNET doing good work.

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-one-should-buy-the-facebook-portal-tv/

quote:

The Facebook Portal TV works just fine, but in light of the various issues surrounding the company lately, it isn't a product I can recommend. 

In short

Don't buy the Facebook Portal TV. I don't know what else to say, y'all. Ask Mark Zuckerberg. 

When a tech review article on CNET of all places tells people not to buy your stuff because you're too evil, you done hosed up.