Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

lofi posted:

That's sweet, how long did you work on it for?

Thanks, I think about 10 hours maybe a little more. I have a bad habit of not understanding how much work the drawing will be in the planning phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Went back and added color to one of my Inktober drawings and I like how it turned out

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
End of Inktober!

The main thing I learned from this is that I need to spend a lot more time on each drawing, but I kept feeling pressured to get something done quickly so I could work on the next one.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Practising brush inking; it is hard.

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 3, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lofi posted:

I love basket hatching more than makes any sense.

I saw someone else doing it for inktober and yeah it’s pretty cool. Takes some thinking too

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

While cleaning up the house, I came across "Drawing on the right side of the brain." and the unused workbook. If I can make a goon happy, I can send it provided said goon will pay for shipping from the Netherlands, which will be 20~30 euro depending on location so Amazon might actually be cheaper...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
ugh, of course it's Terminator shitposting that gets me drawing

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Now free from drawing monsters I'll go back to what I normally do which is draw pocket monsters

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Been feeling real poo poo about myself a lot more often again as of late.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Aww, that sucks, sorry to hear it. Is it winter-related?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Shinmera posted:

Been feeling real poo poo about myself a lot more often again as of late.

Can relate. Hope you cheer up. Try and make an effort to notice and feel good about positive things in your life. It helps sometimes. Sometimes you just have to feel bad for a while, I suppose.

Here's another character drawing:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

Aww, that sucks, sorry to hear it. Is it winter-related?

University struggles are creating stress, which tends to eliminate what little self esteem I have. Not sure yet when I'll figure out what to do to deal with the stress, so for now I'll probably be unstable for a while.

Hellbeard posted:

Can relate. Hope you cheer up. Try and make an effort to notice and feel good about positive things in your life. It helps sometimes. Sometimes you just have to feel bad for a while, I suppose.

Thanks, I have a bad tendency to be a negative nancy.

Two rough 30 minute sketches tonight:

The latter was supposed to be a more interesting pose, but it failed horribly and I tried what I could to salvage it. Still looks real weird to me, though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Inktober "Ghost"

I started this one on Halloween and just finished. *sigh*

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A longer piece today.

Sketch:

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 5, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

computer load up dog please

give me a printout of dog smiling

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 6, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Feeling sleepy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

protip: close eyes, sleep better.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

my buddy Superfly posted:

computer load up dog please

give me a printout of dog smiling

can i get a tail wobble?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I done a Stitch.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

protip: close eyes, sleep better.

Sometimes you gotta ponder why you're still alive before you drop off to sleep, you know?

lovely sketch for a lovely evening.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Shinmera posted:

Sometimes you gotta ponder why you're still alive before you drop off to sleep, you know?

Nope, that way madness lies. Try wanking instead.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Another sketch tonight.

Feeling the scenery itch again, might do some of that soon.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Decided to work the previous drawing over in different style/technique:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

My Knight's frustration. And getting over posting something online.

I took notes on some tutorial I found in hopes they would stick. I have a real trouble dividing the 'eye line' into 5 equal parts. I tried to just draw from a picture but that turned out terrible. Everything was out of proportion. This was about 2.5 hrs :(

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 9, 2019

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

I took notes on some tutorial I found in hopes they would stick. I have a real trouble dividing the 'eye line' into 5 equal parts. I tried to just draw from a picture but that turned out terrible. Everything was out of proportion. This was about 2.5 hrs :(

Check out Andrew Loomis "how to draw the head and hands" it's free to download online and is a good resource. His other books are great too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A bunch of loomis books are at archive.org

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

taqueso posted:

A bunch of loomis books are at archive.org
Wow! I didn't know archive had so much stuff!

Also, LOL Draw Manga: Complete Technique

Hellbeard posted:

Check out Andrew Loomis "how to draw the head and hands" it's free to download online and is a good resource. His other books are great too.

Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

<3 Loomis. Fun With a Pencil is such a good book.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

syntaxrigger posted:

Thank you for posting! I know it's terrifying to open up about something you're starting with, especially in a thread with this many talented artists in it, but it will get easier. Don't be too worried if stuff doesn't look as good as you want it to yet, art covers a wide spectrum of things to focus on so you don't need to get bummed if you can't get a handle on some of them. As long as you're drawing, it will teach you hand-eye co-ordination. Seeing how stuff fits is a skill you just gotta learn, no-one is born with it.

Hellbeard posted:

Decided to work the previous drawing over in different style/technique:

I know I got a linework bias but I still liked the lineworked one better. You do linework first on all your lineworkless art and then cover it up, right? You got freaking excellent linework, but I think you go a bit too soft and light when you're removing your lines - it takes out all the textures. Also I hate that I'm This Person but the sword blade is not in line with the hilt and it is killing me, did you plan it half as wide at first, oh god I'm sorry I'm nitpicking on what it objectively a great pic.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thank you for posting! I know it's terrifying to open up about something you're starting with, especially in a thread with this many talented artists in it, but it will get easier. Don't be too worried if stuff doesn't look as good as you want it to yet, art covers a wide spectrum of things to focus on so you don't need to get bummed if you can't get a handle on some of them. As long as you're drawing, it will teach you hand-eye co-ordination. Seeing how stuff fits is a skill you just gotta learn, no-one is born with it.

I know I got a linework bias but I still liked the lineworked one better. You do linework first on all your lineworkless art and then cover it up, right? You got freaking excellent linework, but I think you go a bit too soft and light when you're removing your lines - it takes out all the textures. Also I hate that I'm This Person but the sword blade is not in line with the hilt and it is killing me, did you plan it half as wide at first, oh god I'm sorry I'm nitpicking on what it objectively a great pic.

Excellent critique thank you very much. How else will I improve if I can't spot and fix mistakes? All feedback is useful. I didn't mean to cover up the linework I was just not happy with the coloring result and thought I could improve it if I re-work the image into full color. Yes, I agree with everything. I'll try to improve my texture consideration.

For the linework stuff I think maybe only simpler coloring or black and white.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

For this I tried using only a brush pen to see if I could manage the thinner lines with it.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

Wow! I didn't know archive had so much stuff!

Also, LOL Draw Manga: Complete Technique

This book cover gave me nightmares, yeesh. Congrats on getting over your fear and posting your work, you're off to a good start. Also you can safely ignore pretty much any "How to draw [X style]" books, as well as literally anything written by Chris Hart.

We found a magazine/book rack for my son (who's 2 and a half right now) that I'm decorating to put in his room. I asked him what he wanted on it and he said, "Green ducks, ladybugs, and three ghosts." So I bought some Posca markers and went to work.

There's more than three ghosts on there but he hasn't complained yet. There's going to be a big giant ghost on the front saying, "BoooOOoookSs!" but I need some bigger markers for that one.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

gmc9987 posted:

Also you can safely ignore pretty much any "How to draw [X style]" books, as well as literally anything written by Chris Hart.

At some point I need to track down the infamous Chris Hart boob-muscle diagram and save it for when this stuff comes up.

e:

:discourse:

lofi fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 10, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
going on about drawing and shapes suddenly compelled me to do this

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bought a very small sketchbook and agreed with myself to draw every time I have the urge to grab my phone.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spent the afternoon re-arranging bits of my boat picture ready for transfer to lino.

There's a tangent on the right I couldn't work around digitally, but might try to fix whilst cutting. Going to do the decorations by hand after printing.

Tomorrow lunchtime going to transfer that to the lino then start cutting.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

An Elk!

Also I suddenly see what went wrong, all colors have similar saturation. That is what you get for painting straight from the pan.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Some fan-art for MechaGamezilla's excellent Infinite Review.

Feb 2, 2005

Medenmath posted:

For this I tried using only a brush pen to see if I could manage the thinner lines with it.

Bobby Hill after a growth spurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

*wearing futuristic exo-armor, turning to camera* "I'm doing my part"