Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm playing Valley, another game I got from PSN, and it's a really satisfying game to move around in at times due to the Jump Good Suit. There's an awesome part where you are blasting along an underground train track at mach speed and while turning can be awkward. it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Warbird posted:

Yeah! Is it closer in structure to 1 or Dark Moon? I loved both, but preferred the OG.

Like Lunchmeat said, it's a lot more like 1. Which is great, because the whole mission based way of 2 put me off of it. I'm having a good time with it so far. The d pad is still dedicated to calling out for Mario which is very important.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

cosmosisjones posted:

Like Lunchmeat said, it's a lot more like 1. Which is great, because the whole mission based way of 2 put me off of it. I'm having a good time with it so far. The d pad is still dedicated to calling out for Mario which is very important.

Any idea how long it is? I've liked the other two a lot but wouldn't have felt satisfied at a full $60.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In Astral Chain you play as a cop, and there are 'duty points' that contribute to you gaining ranks (which give you a longer health bar and new cosmetics). You gain points by completing missions, both combat and investigative, and by doing other things in general gameplay, like helping prevent plagued civilians from becoming murderous hell-beasts, getting rid of hell-matter, and gathering up cans in the city and properly throwing them out. You get penalized for doing stuff like breaking civilians' stuff and holding up traffic.

Also, whenever you fight humans you never kill them, you either knock them out if they are hostile, or you catch them with the titular chain so that regular cops can deal with it as you do saving the world stuff. One good cop in videogames.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Any idea how long it is? I've liked the other two a lot but wouldn't have felt satisfied at a full $60.

Not sure how long. I mean it's def longer than 1 and I know that was bought at the full 50.

Edit: feels like maybe 8-10 hours if you 100%?

cosmosisjones has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Nov 2, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

^^^ Thanks.

Rounding out my Remedy playthrough with Quantum Break, I'm too early to say anything but I'm enjoying all the little personal touches in the environment - early on while walking through and slowly getting into the story, the boss/presumable villain is filling you in on details while you wander around and interact with various environmental stuff. I love the fact that you can just walk up to his computer while he's talking, and read the the email that's up on the screen, as usual for an in-game office, but just as I was thinking how unrealistic that was he stopped his shpiel to berate me for having no concept of personal space :3:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Nov 3, 2019

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Not really sure if it's a little thing, but I'm glad Nintendo kept the Luigis Mansion series going.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

cosmosisjones posted:

Not really sure if it's a little thing, but I'm glad Nintendo kept the Luigis Mansion series going.

I'll allow it...if they kept in Luigi nervously humming the theme tune

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Neo Cab is a visual novel where you play as the one human cab driver left in a whole city. There's very few human drivers left at all, and you take your fares really late at night, so traffic is never really a thing you have to deal with.

Despite that, if you pick a dialog option that leads to you taking your eyes off the road, someone angrily honks at you.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Please tell me there it's a dedicated button for Luigi to call out for Mario in Luigi's Mansion?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s the sole function of the dpad, so technically there are 4 of them.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

It’s the sole function of the dpad, so technically there are 4 of them.

gently caress yes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not only are there 4 of them, each of them produces a different intonation of "Mario!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

Not only are there 4 of them, each of them produces a different intonation of "Mario!"

Three. D-Up zooms in the map.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In the Nioh 2 beta, there's a new mechanic where you can interrupt enemies' super attacks if you see them coming. This move takes the form of a punch to groin. You can stop a demon's super combo with one well-placed dick punch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Three. D-Up zooms in the map.

But also you can make Gooigi do it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I haven't started Trails of Cold Steel yet but I'm amazed by this configurations launcher that not only explains what each feature does but shows examples of the difference it makes if you turn it on or off

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I guess it's not really a little thing, but I'm honestly kinda loving Quantum Break's conceit of blending a game and live action segments, it feels like the most enjoyably idiosyncratic thing ever for those devs. I can see why it's controversial, but it's hitting me just right at the moment - I think it'd get old fast if very many games did it, but as a one-off I'm enjoying it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess it's not really a little thing, but I'm honestly kinda loving Quantum Break's conceit of blending a game and live action segments, it feels like the most enjoyably idiosyncratic thing ever for those devs. I can see why it's controversial, but it's hitting me just right at the moment - I think it'd get old fast if very many games did it, but as a one-off I'm enjoying it.

I think Control did it pretty well, in large part because they know and play to how super weird it is to see a character in both. It sits just fine that some characters only exist in the live-action stuff, and others only in-game, but they know full well that seeing Jesse suddenly be live-action just feels wrong, so they only use it when it's supposed to be wrong!

It also lets them absolutely nail some vibes of visual media. All of Casper Darling's tapes perfectly capture the feel of an old, dry informational video, and they can only do that because it's live-action and looks kinda cheap.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I absolutely loved that, and that aesthetic was the biggest thing that jumped out in making me want to go back and play through the stuff of theirs that I'd missed. There was some cute stuff in Alan Wake that I liked too, but I think Control kinda nailed the right balance. I'm enjoying this one a lot, but yeah, it'd be too much if all their games went that far.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I saw something about using VR to treat PTSD, and I know it’s been used for some phobias like a fear of heights for ages even back when it was rather primitive. It’ll be interesting to see what they can do with it in the future.

Not sure if it's been said before but I saw a local news story about doctors using vr to actually get paralyzed people moving again. I'm sure it wasn't as miraculous as that makes it sound (maybe there is low key paralysis?) but they showed a man moving his leg who previously had not been able to and I may be misremembering but I believe the therapy he'd been through could be measured in months rather than years.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Morpheus posted:

Since Outer Worlds is by the New Vegas devs, having a low intelligence gives you [Dumb] options in some conversations. But, unlike other games where you basically are inexplicably a caveman with particular dialogue, in Outer Worlds, the options reflect a character who can't understand such complex concepts as 'metaphors' and 'homonym', but can still complete full sentences. Like, someone tells you that once she was conceived as a child, her mother had to give her up. And a dumb option for this is basically 'Wait, so your mother simply thinks about having a child and has to give it up? How does that even work?'.

Or, my favourite so far (posted in another thread):

Guy who isn't quite all there: "The automechanicals are coming to wipe us all out and start a robot apocalypse!"
Response: "[Dumb] Well, gently caress me."

Oh, that's nothing compared to one near the end - (massive spoilers, obviously).

"I literally can't dispute that" :haw:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bringing us back to those halcyon days of Metal Gear Solid where three minutes into watching blank-faced polygon men jitter around for a bit suddenly real-footage of nukes exploding.

But now the graphics are so good that it's hard to tell the difference.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samuringa posted:

I haven't started Trails of Cold Steel yet but I'm amazed by this configurations launcher that not only explains what each feature does but shows examples of the difference it makes if you turn it on or off

A JRPG PC port having helpful and descriptive game settings is basically unheard of.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

A JRPG PC port having helpful and descriptive game settings is basically unheard of.

It's ported by Durante right? Community modders are usually really into their work so they love to add those little explanations to their menus and tools, as opposed to industry professionals in a more controlled environment where they don't really count those man hours as a worthwhile investment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Durante and XSEED, who usually put a lot of care into their pc ports.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Durante and XSEED, who usually put a lot of care into their pc ports.

I remember reading blog or forum posts online somewhere, by someone that worked at XSEED, that detailed just how much effort and care they put into the localization of a Wii game that was never going to set the world on fire, Fishing Resort. It was still sold with a special controller - I can't imagine that anyone made a ton of money on this - and I enjoyed it a lot.

I've never been disappointed with an XSEED localization.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Washin Tong posted:

It's ported by Durante right? Community modders are usually really into their work so they love to add those little explanations to their menus and tools, as opposed to industry professionals in a more controlled environment where they don't really count those man hours as a worthwhile investment.
At least Division 1/2, Wildlands 1/2 and I'm pretty sure Watch Dogs 2 did this stuff. In game instead of a boot launcher but yeah, Ubisoft is nice about a lot of stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One of the coolest moments in Quantum Break is right at the end, just as you're ready to make the last-ditch effort to fix the timestream, all your little choices along the way can reach critical mass with time jittering to a complete stop and everything going black as reality finally breaks :aaaaa:
Okay it was actually my console crashing, but it was at the most perfectly atmospheric moment, in line with some of the other time twistiness that's gone on. I can dream of a return to Eternal Darkness-esque mindfuckery :arghfist::saddowns:

Loved the game, btw.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't Neir delete all your saves if you chose to sacrifice yourself? I think that's cool.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't Neir delete all your saves if you chose to sacrifice yourself? I think that's cool.

It deleted your saves an never lets you give a character the same name again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not only that, but it forbade you from using the name you had assigned to the main character in any future playthroughs. This made sense given how that ending played out, and most people would save that ending for last, so it's an unlikely thing to have happen - but they accounted for it because it's thematically perfect.

I still haven't played Automata (or Drakengard 3, I know...) but man I loved the hell out of Nier. It was the video game equivalent, for me, of being a teenager and hearing the exact right album you needed to hear at that precise point in your life.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I liked Automata a whole bunch but I'd really adore a PC port of the original someday.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want a Drakengard HD edition because I hate myself and I hate the world

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Nier is better than Nier: Automata. If I'm going to have a sword-titty-woman in my depressing JRPG, I want her to be a foul-mouthed poo poo-talking intersexed half-shade lingerie model instead of boring-by-design robowaifu.

Kainé posted:

Weiss, you dumbass! Start making sense, you rotten book, or you're gonna be sorry! Maybe I'll rip your pages out, one-by-one! Or maybe I'll put you in the goddamn furnace! How can someone with such a big, smart brain get hypnotized like a little bitch?! Huh!? Oh, Shadowlord! I love you, Shadowlord! Come over here and give Weiss a big sloppy kiss, Shadowlord! Now pull your head out of your goddamn rear end and START loving HELPING US!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Not only that, but it forbade you from using the name you had assigned to the main character in any future playthroughs. This made sense given how that ending played out, and most people would save that ending for last, so it's an unlikely thing to have happen - but they accounted for it because it's thematically perfect.

I still haven't played Automata (or Drakengard 3, I know...) but man I loved the hell out of Nier. It was the video game equivalent, for me, of being a teenager and hearing the exact right album you needed to hear at that precise point in your life.

Automata gives you the option to delete your save too, but for an entirely different reason. The final credits are a twin-stick shooter that was really hard (as someone who never plays that genre). I was legit getting frustrated that I kept dying at that point and I was tearing up (it was an emotional day already) because I was SO CLOSE to the end but just could not get there. Then a bunch of other players come in and start helping you, and you get little words of encouragement from them. When you finally get to the end, the game asks if you want to delete your save so that you can help out someone else in need during their shot at it. If you say yes, then you get to make an encouraging message to send out too. With the song playing over the credits and the frustration turning into relief, it was legitimately a beautiful moment to me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

Automata gives you the option to delete your save too, but for an entirely different reason. The final credits are a twin-stick shooter that was really hard (as someone who never plays that genre). I was legit getting frustrated that I kept dying at that point and I was tearing up (it was an emotional day already) because I was SO CLOSE to the end but just could not get there. Then a bunch of other players come in and start helping you, and you get little words of encouragement from them. When you finally get to the end, the game asks if you want to delete your save so that you can help out someone else in need during their shot at it. If you say yes, then you get to make an encouraging message to send out too. With the song playing over the credits and the frustration turning into relief, it was legitimately a beautiful moment to me.

Yeah, Nier Automata will always stand out to me as a game that managed to put more emotional impact into a semi-serious post-credits sequence than most games manage to put into their entire runtime. :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nier is better than Nier: Automata. If I'm going to have a sword-titty-woman in my depressing JRPG, I want her to be a foul-mouthed poo poo-talking intersexed half-shade lingerie model instead of boring-by-design robowaifu.

They released that dialogue as a teaser trailer for the game :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XN3NsHE9dM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
2 things: First of all Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow on PS2 is a lot of fun so far. The main collectible outside of cash (for upgrades) is treasure map pieces, one in each level and they are hidden in unique ways:

Level 1 is a gimme but still a unique event - you see some enemies raiding a treasure chest and fight them for the map.
Level 2 is from finding a well in Port Royale and cranking it during the pirate invasion in Curse of the Black Pearl - you see a british soldier hiding from the carnage in the bucket and he gives you the map piece
Level 3 is in a surprisingly well hidden but still noticeable wall that you blow up. The wall hasn't got massive cracks, just a subtle scorching along the mortar that draws your eye
It's cool so far and I'm looking forward to the other pieces

The other thing - is it possible to set an HD TV to Standard Definition to stop the input lag issue when trying to play rhythm games from older consoles? Apparently part of the reason many old rhythm games are impossible is because of the HD TVs loving things up due to timing issues. Is there a way around that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

BioEnchanted posted:

cranking it during the pirate invasion in Curse of the Black Pearl

I knew Captain Jack Sparrow was a pervert but drat this is next level