Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Most of DC seems ready to throw them overboard at this point, but I do wonder how many would back down at the last second if push came to shove.

It depends on if Erdogan is in power or not, I have a hard time seeing him come back into the fold. At the end of the day, there are limits to the leverage the US has on Turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Squalid posted:

Talking about how hard empathy is, sometimes when I talk to or read things written by American military people and they start on about honor and duty etc, I feel like I'm looking at some kind of amazon tribes person who just stepped out of the jungle and is wearing a penis sheath with a bone in through their nose shaking a rattle and saying "ooga booga." Like its completely foreign to me, they might as well be trying to explain Buddhist scripture. It's something I know they take seriously but I think I'll always have a hard time getting in their head.

It's the same problem I have with sincerely religious people. On an intellectual level I know they many of them must actually believe in faith and god and all that. . . but it's so divorced from my own experience I tend to assume its just a mask for something I can grasp like greed or humanism or w/e. Again intellectually I know this is wrong and many people actually do believe in religions. . . it's just very hard for me to relate.

At the very least we take our penis sheaths very seriously in the US Military :colbert:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Thump! posted:

At the very least we take our penis sheaths very seriously in the US Military :colbert:

Buddy, everybody takes penis sheaths very seriously.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

No they weren't, they were hit with sanctions for detaining an American pastor, and very briefly for invading Rojava. Trump's obligated by law to sanction them for buying the S-400, but he hasn't done it.

They've been kicked out of the JSF program.

And yeah, I fully expect jokes about how getting out of the F-35 is not a sanction but a reward.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

They've been kicked out of the JSF program.

And yeah, I fully expect jokes about how getting out of the F-35 is not a sanction but a reward.

That's not nothing, but it's not really the kind of punishment required by law either. Without biting sanctions it's basically just pushed Turkey to consider buying planes from Russia too, which is the opposite of the intended effect.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

enraged_camel posted:

The whole saga is very interesting. Here's a good summary: https://www.defenseworld.net/feature/20/Battle_of_the_Air_Defense_Systems__S_400_Vs_Patriot_and_THAAD

Basically, buying Patriot missiles has been a very expensive endeavor for Turkey over the years. They want to be able to manufacture them domestically and have their own trained crews to be able to operate them, but the USA has refused to include technology and knowledge transfer in the sales packages. So Erdogan got pissed and issued an RFP, and after a few rounds, Russia ended up winning.

The other thing that makes S400 way more attractive is this part:

quote:

“Countries seeking effective defense against aircraft andmissiles will have to buy two costly American systems – Patriot and THAAD, while the Russian S-400 can unite their functions. S-400 can also hit difficult ballistic targets at distances up to 60 km, The ability to shoot down the high-speed targets of S-400 almost equals THAAD (around 17 km/hour),” a defense industry source said.

A correction to that quote, it should be 17 thousand km/hour. :flashfact:

Another reason why Pentagon doesn't like this is that the US had been selling F-35 to Turkey, but Turkey having both S-400 and F-35 would mean that Russians would have an opportunity to study the F-35's capabilities and develop countermeasures to it as 'instructors'. There's now five planes out of 100 ready but they are all in USA where the Turkish pilots and engineers were to be trained. All in all this is going to be a very costly cancellation and Putin must have made Erdogan some really good offers for him to risk a 9 billion dollar investment in Turkish industries.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/07/17/turkey-officially-kicked-out-of-f-35-program/

quote:

Turkey, a partner in the F-35 program that helped fund the development of the jet, planned to buy 100 F-35As. Its first jet was rolled out in June 2018 in a festive “delivery ceremony." Though Turkey formally owns its jets, the U.S. has said it has the power to keep the planes from moving to Turkish soil and intends to keep all four existing Turkish jets from leaving the U.S.

Lord avoided saying that the door was shut on Turkey returning to the program should the S-400 be removed from its soil and repeatedly used the term “suspension” to characterize Turkey’s status in the F-35 program. When asked twice whether Turkey could be welcomed back if the situation changes, Lord did not give a direct answer one way or the other.

“At this point, the Turks have made a decision. We have said the F-35 and S-400 are incompatible. We will work forward at this point to unwind the relationship," she said.

All Turkish F-35 personnel have been informed they must leave the U.S. by July 31, including 20 individuals assigned to the Joint Program Office. Neither official would comment on if any of those individuals have requested asylum.

By March 2020, Turkey’s industrial participation in the F-35 program, which includes production on about 900 parts for the stealthy fighter, will be “unwound." Lord said the projection is this will cost Turkey’s economy around $9 billion over the life of the program. American suppliers will initially fill those production roles, but the goal is to eventually farm some of it out to other partners.

Lord said the process will have “minimal” impacts on the larger F-35 program because of the planning that has already gone on for several months.

To move the production from Turkey to the U.S. will require between $500-$600 million in nonrecurring engineering costs, Lord said. Which partners, if any, would be willing to buy the F-35s already in production for Turkey was still being worked out.

Trachtenberg consistently delivered the same message over and over: that this situation is not one that should impact the broader NATO alliance. That includes Turkey’s participation in NATO exercises, particularly upcoming events in Georgia, Germany and Ukraine.

Asked several times how Turkey having an air-defense system that cannot be linked to other NATO systems and could be used to spy on NATO jets would not harm alliance cohesion, Trachtenberg repeatedly said the relationship between Turkey, the U.S. and NATO will be able to continue.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump loving loves war crimes.

https://twitter.com/NavyTimes/status/1191357653840252930

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Ceasefire has broken down completely it seems with Turkish units again shelling Abu -Rasin and multiple conflicts growing inside the 32km "safe" zone.

The SAA used both artillery and GRADs to shell Turkish-backed forces northwest of Tel Tamir

Really a potentially heavy conflict is brewing in Tel Tamir and surrounding areas with more SAA reinforcements arriving bringing more GRADs and arty with them.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Iran is injecting uranium gas in 1000 centrifuges.

Yay more escalation.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

quote:

A Dutch F-16 jet serving with the US-led coalition in Iraq killed about 70 people - Islamic State (IS) militants and civilians - in an air strike in 2015, the Dutch defence ministry says.

[...]

The IS facility hit in Hawija on the night of 2 June 2015 was believed to be producing vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices (IEDs) used to attack coalition forces, the statement said.

[...]

The day after the Hawija bombing, US Air Force Lt Gen John Hesterman told a news conference that a "fairly small weapon" had been dropped on "a known IED building in an industrial area".

"The secondary explosion, which was caused from a massive amount of [IS] high explosives, was very large, and it destroyed much of that industrial area," he said, adding that the coalition had seen no evidence of civilian casualties.

Airwars, an organisation which tracks civilian deaths, concluded that at least 26 children and 22 women were among those killed in the incident.

[...]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50286829

Posting this because I've been wondering, was there an alternative?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rukeli posted:

Well, on the ISIS side, they could have easily set up their high explosives factory further away from residential housing. It’s a pretty lovely thing to do, since those facilities can blow up anyway due to fires or bad handling practices, and I doubt ISIS was up on OSHA practices or caring about local civilians.

On the NATO side, I guess they could have done a high-risk commando operation, or drop leaflets nearby saying they were going to bomb a nearby weapons facility and tell people to evacuate, Gaza-style, but depending on how mobile the facilities are, that might not have helped either. Hard to say how easily it could have been predicted, the factory might have had way more explosives on hand than their intelligence led them to believe.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Saladman posted:

Well, on the ISIS side, they could have easily set up their high explosives factory further away from residential housing. It’s a pretty lovely thing to do, since those facilities can blow up anyway due to fires or bad handling practices, and I doubt ISIS was up on OSHA practices or caring about local civilians.
ISIS bomb making factories ran like any other industrial munitions manufacturer and had payroll, paid out workman's comp for injuries, etc.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Saladman posted:

On the NATO side, I guess they could have done a high-risk commando operation

But what could the commandos have done once they arrived at this complex inside enemy territory?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Rukeli posted:

The alternative would be somehow convincing outside governments that maybe they shouldn't spend multiple decades and trillions of dollars flooding the region with weapons and funding for insurgent and terrorist groups.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Rukeli posted:

But what could the commandos have done once they arrived at this complex inside enemy territory?

Cleared it, secured it, and brought in EOD for a controlled demolition that would’ve limited unwanted collateral damage.

This, of course, is contingent on a shitload of external factors and was likely not a feasible solution in the eyes of the Coalition, either due to just how far behind enemy lines it was, the density of Daesh in the area, or just spotty intel in general.

It’s the lovely calculus of war.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

edit: double post

Thump! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's pathetic how Assad's troops would have done this more cleanly. Just drop chlorine on the site, killing all the terrorists without explosions and civilian blood, then send troops in to remove the explosives and the civilian bodies. Bing bang bong its simple!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

ISIS bomb making factories ran like any other industrial munitions manufacturer and had payroll, paid out workman's comp for injuries, etc.

Sure. Not sure if you were just adding fun facts, as I don’t get how that goes against what I said. They definitely weren’t following safety standards as you’d see in Europe or in the Americas, and probably even worse than you’d see in any country with a real central government. I doubt even Myanmar puts its explosives manufacturing facilities next to residential housing, although.. well, now that I think about it, don’t those fertilizer plant explosions in America and China and wherever normally also wreck nearby housing too? I think normally "only" first responders are killed when those explode, but there’s usually a pretty long fire burning before it goes critical. I guess if they were specifically bombed then maybe people nearby wouldn’t have time to evacuate.

In order to know how much to blame NATO for those civilian deaths, I guess I’d also want to know how much time it took to go from the initial strike to the main secondary explosion. Is that in the report? If it was like half an hour, then all those deaths are on ISIS. If it was like 30 seconds then I guess i’d share blame and would agree they should investigate to see if they could have done anything differently.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The head of the Kemalist opposition CHP called out Erdogan for making a mess of Turkey's Syria policy over the last eight years:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/chp-outlines-seven-mistakes-in-akps-syria-policy-148343

According to Kılıçdaroğlu, the AKP’s mistakes since 2011 are listed as follows:

- Turkey failed in its assessment on the place of Syria in the international order. One of the most important reasons for that was the exclusion of the foreign ministry and experienced diplomats from the decision-making processes. That brought about an adventurous foreign policy.

- Turkey has become the subcontractor of imperialistic powers whose objective was to divide Syria. It became a party of these policies as well as of proxy wars taking place in the Syrian theater.

- As a subcontractor, Turkey has paved the way for the free passage of terrorists to and from Syria, sparking criticism from the West for allowing a “jihadist highway” on its soil.

- Turkey has failed to give a strong response against the kidnapping of its 49 citizens including its Consul-General in Mosul by ISIL in 2014. Although it had all the rights stemming from the international law, it did not react against the terrorist organization who kept its citizens 101 days.

- Turkey also failed to protect the Süleyman Shah tomb in northern Syria, Turkey’s one and only territory outside its borders, in the face of threats by ISIL in early 2015. That strategic mistake has made Turkey a country which cannot protect its own territories.

- Turkey failed to struggle against ISIL and protect the territorial integrity of Syria. If Turkey would stage an effective fight against ISIL, it would have a much different and positive place in the eyes of the international community.

- Because of wrong policies, Turkey has ended up being wrong although it is right on its fight against terrorism. Instead of carrying out an effective campaign to convince the international community that the Operation Peace Spring against terrorism was held to address Turkey’s legitimate security concerns in line with the international law, the government officials’ use of a narrative based on “conquer” has weakened the legitimacy of the operation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rukeli posted:

In 2015 USAF was still operating under fairly rigorous 'try to double and triple check that we aren't going to cause to many civilian casualties' guidelines that, while very far from perfect, were somewhat effective about getting proportional and/or minimal force used when there was potential for collateral. Back then the US was still trying to find alternatives to just levelling a block so if the strike went through they probably didn't see a lot of alternative even though they almost definitely knew that IS had housed a bunch of women and children in the immediate area (as they did around most hvts). That said, post-strike analysis of civilian casualties is always ridiculously low with the US

To be clear, the pre-scrutiny process was making concrete progress, but that policy was ended in the first days of 2017 and was replaced with, I poo poo you not, trump's 'the gloves are off, do whatever, bigger bombs, kill their families' policy of use of force.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

For context: this is the first time the Dutch government admits that there were civilian casualties in any Dutch air strikes in Iraq and/or Syria. Before, the official line was that in the hundreds of strikes carried out over many years, not a single civilian had died. The Netherlands was the only coalition country so far up its own rear end that it claimed a perfect record.

We've also now learned that on at least one occasion when the (then) minister of defense told parliament she had no information of any civilians being harmed by Dutch strikes, she had been personally informed about this case and the US assessment of up to 70 civilian deaths like a week before. This woman is now the UN envoy for Iraq.

The (then and still current) prime minister might also have known at the time that his minister was lying to parliament.

gently caress all these people.

Dexterous Spider
May 7, 2016

:goon: :parrot: :goon:

Orange Devil posted:

This woman is now the UN envoy for Iraq.
gently caress all these people.

Well, if she is anywhere near the Green Zone with the current Iraqi riots situation going on, I bet she is ready to leave. If not second guessing her life choices for going over to that poo poo show.

:birddrugs:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Prime Minister now maintaining that he can't remember whether or not he was informed about his air force bombing 70 civilians. Plausible story.

Then minister of foreign affairs and then minister of development cooperation also can not remember being informed.

Currently not looking like anyone will face political consequences.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Prime Minister now maintaining that he can't remember whether or not he was informed about his air force bombing 70 civilians. Plausible story.

Then minister of foreign affairs and then minister of development cooperation also can not remember being informed.

Currently not looking like anyone will face political consequences.

if the memory doesn't fit you must acquit!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Totally normal revelation:

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1192402362905874432

https://twitter.com/DoubleEmMartin/status/1192234093808930816

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1192371014493188097

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 7, 2019

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So uh is the military just acting on it's own and disregarding the orders from the president?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Booourns posted:

So uh is the military just acting on it's own and disregarding the orders from the president?
Tweets aren't orders.

Nobody has a loving clue what actual orders are being given or if they're even coherent.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Booourns posted:

Not really. They're just interpreting his conflicting directives as favorably for what they want to do as they can. Doing that after the first couple times Trump said he wanted out is what led to the crisis last month when he said he really meant it, but then he backpedaled after Congress freaked out and the usual suspects are making the most of it. A competent president would stay on top of this poo poo so he wouldn't feel like he needed to engage in an erratic shift of behavior to break out of the bureaucratic status quo, but that's just not who Trump is.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Tweets aren't orders.

Nobody has a loving clue what actual orders are being given or if they're even coherent.

This is disturbingly close to reality sometimes with this administration. Anyways, saner minds have won out for the moment after Trump realized how dumb/awful he looked. Should settle down for a bit until he thinks he's found a way to do it without looking like a chump.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 8, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't wait until Trump supporters take to the streets to oppose the Democrats' attempted coup and I can truthfully say that the Russians have successfully orchestrated a color revolution in support of the democratically elected government of the United States.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The former Dutch minister of defense, current UN envoy for Iraq, Hennis, is now being called on to resign by Iraq's protesters. She managed to tweet this two days ago:

https://twitter.com/JeanineHennis/status/1192035729687416832

For some reason the protesters don't trust her to put their human rights above oil. I wonder why.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TFSA preparing for a kobani assault in the coming week.

Ceasefire is effectively dead. But Putin and Turk-Reich Universal Minister and God Emperor erdogan will be phoning it in on saturday.

8 hours ago Erdogan announced a resumption of the invasion

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Throatwarbler posted:

I can't wait until Trump supporters take to the streets to oppose the Democrats' attempted coup and I can truthfully say that the Russians have successfully orchestrated a color revolution in support of the democratically elected government of the United States.

If it was Russian backed you would be thinking it was legitimate lol.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193716259944304646?s=20
VERY VERY BAD STEP!

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Or we can “rescue him” but really go after this. We have done it before.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1193440203534454784

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
Sorry to derail, but I just did an impulse donation to UNICEF because I heard on the radio that they were short on winter funding for families in Syria.

Are there other charities assisting people in Syria, Iraq, or Yemen that I should throw some money? Perhaps where my donations will be more impactful?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sure seems like someone assassinated this guy:

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1193928142420893697

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1193928026234466309

Russia's assassinated numerous people in the UK proper, so it wouldn't be surprising if they were behind it.

Edit: Or not I guess, given the post below this.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 12, 2019

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I know him and his partner, so today has sucked. I suspect it's not foul play, his partner was home asleep at the time it happened, and according to press reports their security system doesn't show anyone else in the house at the time.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Sinteres posted:

Sure seems like someone assassinated this guy:

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1193928142420893697

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1193928026234466309

Russia's assassinated numerous people in the UK proper, so it wouldn't be surprising if they were behind it.

RT has already published a piece that simultaneously denied that he was assassinated and blamed the US/UK for his assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We are about to see the resumption of full combat operations for the turks. So expect updates on frontlines .

SAA is rocketing Turkish aligned forces in the western countryside of aleppo. Probably trying to create a larger buffer zone around Aleppo. Ill get trampled for stating this but Turkeys goal is a new state with aleppo as an integral part of its economy.

SAA/SDF also liberated some towns previously under TFSA control with heavy artillery hitting turkish positions near tel tamar.
A few days ago Turkey announced a resumption of their campaign, then had a clozed door meeting with putin and then tjurkey and russia went silent. So time will tell