Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Wait those mormons who got shot up came from that insane compound city in Mexico that's full of armed psycho polygamists and kid rapists?

Lol jesus how long until we have to sheepishly admit it was some other crazy rapist in a power struggle thing? That's literally what it is every time.

wait what, lol holy poo poo i didn't realize that they were fundamentalist LDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Don't bother clicking that Twitter link as there's nothing juicy there yet. This story is JUST breaking, so give it an hour or so and we'll probably have some more good stuff.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1191783308377645056?s=19

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Extremely hosed up that a few states can determine who becomes president.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Prester Jane posted:

It's because leadership is ultimately about creating a distinct vision of the future and bringing people together to create that future. Mind you Trump is a con man who's talent lies in tricking his followers into believing that he shares their vision of the future- but he is none the less engaging in leadership.

People respond to leadership, people will always respond to leadership, and no matter how carefully crafted your policy proposals are, they are not leadership or anything like it. America always chooses the strongest leader to be president- that's why Kerry and Gore and Hillary all failed*. Because they didn't even attempt to be leaders, they projected themselves as hyper competent managers and people don't respond to management.

People embrace leadership.

*They were the weakest leaders in their respective races by sheer dint of not even trying to be a leader

This is a great post.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jaster posted:

When this rally was first announced 2 or 3 weeks ago, I saw a lot of Democrats in the area go "oh ho ho, attendance is free, you say?" and then "reserve" the maximum possible number of tickets with no intention of ever showing up. So they'd just squat on them and encourage their friends to do the same.

Is there a possibility that this is just happening a lot and his crowds are being sabotaged? I suppose it might be redundant with waning enthusiasm (especially if they intentionally overbook and let the seating just be first-come-first-serve, which seems likely). But that also might inflate their numbers enough that they keep using it as an excuse to go or the big venues.

I highly doubt, whatever fuckery goes on, ushers would leave poo poo tons of people standing outside with a half full venue on the inside. That's where that plan falls apart. What will people say "Oh no, I'm saving two dozen seats for people they'll be right back?" I have no doubt that they let in as many people as were there wanting to get in and wouldn't stop until the place was full or they ran out of people to let in.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eke out posted:

there's a reasonable argument both ways but I'm very much persuaded that trying to do inherent contempt for the first time in 80 years will ultimately take longer in court than Trump will be in office, meaning it loses much of its value

It'd be good to see them dust it off and take it for a spin, though. At least establish some precedent for when it has to be used next.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

VH4Ever posted:

I highly doubt, whatever fuckery goes on, ushers would leave poo poo tons of people standing outside with a half full venue on the inside. That's where that plan falls apart. What will people say "Oh no, I'm saving two dozen seats for people they'll be right back?" I have no doubt that they let in as many people as were there wanting to get in and wouldn't stop until the place was full or they ran out of people to let in.

Yeah what people are suggesting with that only works on the slim chance that both the venue is completely 100% "sold out" combined with a very low/no number of people showing up at all to see if there's a chance of them getting in.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gaunab posted:

Extremely hosed up that a few states can determine who becomes president.

Like everything else bad in the US it's because of slavery and racism.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/business/status/1191786842049396736?s=19

Links to the excerpts in the article.
Pretty much stuff reinforcing what we all knew and suspected.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sondland's memory is very hazy about everything and he really has a lot of trouble recalling the things he may have done

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1191787340366327810

but he remembers it's all Rudy's fault very well

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah what people are suggesting with that only works on the slim chance that both the venue is completely 100% "sold out" combined with a very low/no number of people showing up at all to see if there's a chance of them getting in.

Rupp Arena seats over 20,000 in the stands, not even counting the floor standing room area. It is going to be hard to pack that place for anything other than UK basketball. It does appear that they filled the entire lower bowl, though, from pictures taken last night. I'm certainly not trying to defend anything here, it's just that Rupp is a huge building.

They would never turn away people from showing up like those people who thought they could register as coming and then not show up thought.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

Sondland's memory is very hazy about everything and he really has a lot of trouble recalling the things he may have done

He's definitely in a "I might be going down for this but you're all coming with me" mode right now. I doubt him acting like he can't recall certain things will help him all that much though.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Talking to a colleague who said these Americans living in Mexico belong to a religious group which is known for acting as drug mules to the CBP.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rip Testes posted:

Talking to a colleague who said these Americans living in Mexico belong to a religious group which is known for acting as drug mules to the CBP.

UH OH! Better call Saul...

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I know the KY governor is pretty unpopular these days, but would him losing the day after a Trump rally mean anything about the current state of the Trump loving demographic?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

oxsnard posted:

I know the KY governor is pretty unpopular these days, but would him losing the day after a Trump rally mean anything about the current state of the Trump loving demographic?

It would definitely mean something, but the Dems nominated perhaps the best candidate they possibly could for the race (from the KY Beshear dynasty, proven already he can win statewide, good candidate, etc), so he's going to greatly outperform what a generic Dem would do. If he narrowly wins tonight, that means any other Dem would have lost.

It would be more interesting if Beshear wins by like 10 points.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Rats ships etc

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Bevin has a website called EXTREME ANDY BESHEAR and it's literally all just transphobia.

The GOP is pretending to defend the rights of 'women and girls.' What a joke.

It makes me so angry.

quote:

Parents: Beshear Has Failed to Support Law to Protect Parental Rights

Beshear says he’ll stand up for Kentucky families. But when a bill protecting parents’ rights came into conflict with his radical “equality” agenda, Beshear wouldn’t even support it, and his fellow Democrats in the Senate refused to vote on it.

When a child is struggling with mental health problems and expresses confusion about their gender to a teacher or school administrator, should the school keep it a secret from the child’s parents?

Should government bureaucrats and medical professionals make medical decisions for a child against the wishes of the child’s parents by encouraging a child to take experimental “gender-changing” drugs that permanently alter the child’s body?

Andy Beshear refuses to support a Kentucky parental rights bill that would stop these attacks in their tracks and defend the right of parents to direct the upbringing of their children.

Andy Beshear cares more about the most extreme left-wing gender activists than he cares about the safety, health, and well-being of women and children.

Oh he also doesn't think parents should be mandated to vaccinate their children.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

eke out posted:

The number of times that members of the orange guard get to revise their forms and testimony without consequence is nuts.

"NYT" posted:

In his updated testimony, Mr. Sondland recounted how he had discussed the linkage with Andriy Yermak, a top adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, on the sidelines of a Sept. 1 meeting between Vice President Mike Pence and Mr. Zelensky in Warsaw. Mr. Zelensky had discussed the suspension of aid with Mr. Pence, Mr. Sondland said.

“I said that resumption of the U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anticorruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks,” Mr. Sondland said in the document, which was released by the House committees leading the inquiry, along with the transcript of his original testimony from last month.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Ague Proof posted:

Bevin has a website called EXTREME ANDY BESHEAR and it's literally all just transphobia.

The GOP is pretending to defend the rights of 'women and girls.' What a joke.

It makes me so angry.

Oh he also doesn't think parents should be mandated to vaccinate their children.

I'm the quotation marks in radical "equality" agenda

Also big ups to the WaPo employee who was shopping for Quebec Nordiques hockey jerseys on a camera-visible monitor while one of their reporters was doing a hit on MSNBC.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Even when Trump is gone, his legacy will remain. These people are everywhere in local government.

https://twitter.com/cl_tampabay/status/1191759015073779713?s=09

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

osker posted:

The number of times that members of the orange guard get to revise their forms and testimony without consequence is nuts.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1191795553937563648

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

luxury handset posted:

"oregon trail generation" is bad shorthand for old millenials, probably the average goon

Yeah, it literally exists because of a single article where some guy didn't like being called a millennial so he came up with a different term to describe his very special generation of like 4-5 years.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

He's definitely in a "I might be going down for this but you're all coming with me" mode right now. I doubt him acting like he can't recall certain things will help him all that much though.

Has anybody gone with "The Giuliani Theory" yet?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it literally exists because of a single article where some guy didn't like being called a millennial so he came up with a different term to describe his very special generation of like 4-5 years.

It's real dumb but at least it's better than "Xennials"

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

ummel posted:

Even when Trump is gone, his legacy will remain. These people are everywhere in local government.

My hope is that the stink from Trump is enough byo root these guys out but yeah it's sad and gross

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

ummel posted:

This is not just a Trump thing. We have to have a long and concentrated effort to stamp out what he gave a face to but was always there.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Oh yeah, I just like picking on people who are so thin skinned that they try to deal with the poo poo that millennials take in popular media by just calling themselves something else.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Clown posted:

as someone who played half-life extensively as a teen i take this 'xennials' as a personal insult

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

eke out posted:

This is actually really significant as it shows Sondland viewed investigation into corruption and Burisma separate.

In other words Burisma wasn't about anti-corruption (contrary to what Trump says), but something else.

I mean we know this, but now we have confirmation from a Trump donor

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Paradoxish posted:

Oh yeah, I just like picking on people who are so thin skinned that they try to deal with the poo poo that millennials take in popular media by just calling themselves something else.

It's a common thing though, the few years that span generations always have a group of people that feel like they don't fit with either gen. People in their early 50's right now straddled the gap between boomers and gen-x and don't feel like either gen.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

Rigel posted:

It would definitely mean something, but the Dems nominated perhaps the best candidate they possibly could for the race (from the KY Beshear dynasty, proven already he can win statewide, good candidate, etc), so he's going to greatly outperform what a generic Dem would do. If he narrowly wins tonight, that means any other Dem would have lost.

It would be more interesting if Beshear wins by like 10 points.

Eh, Beshear isn't great, he's got some baggage being the son of a previous governor who caused problems but he's decent enough against Bevin.

Bevin is a very Trump-like figure: he's incredibly divisive, and pretty much everybody hates him because of what he's done with teachers and flicking up healthcare. Some people are still voting for him because he's "pro-life" despite that, and it's about the only thing he's got going for him.

He's largely considered a outsider/carpetbagger, an idiot, a jerk, and so bad that republicans have said they're voting Beshear. I wouldn't read too much into it (but I will be glad to rub it in people's faces as more of the Trump curse)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Voted today in Mississippi but the stupid machines don't have a way of confirming how it saw your ballot (it's just a paper ballot that's scanned by a machine). It only checks to see if you are sure about the races you left blank. Who decided that's a good system?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

i like it, rather, because i don’t want to get lumped in with gen x. and on the other end, i am aware that any membership my 1980 rear end has in “millennial” is only by waiver and contingent on me continuing to act in the interest of said generation

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

to quote the Tangerine Scream himself, "Study General Pershing"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Forgot to say, the chuds on my FB got real bent out of shape with that Lexington pic. One immediately posted a video of them doing the wave (two hours before Trump spoke) and claimed a bunch of people were caught outside and they locked the doors as Trump was leaving the airport. I posted the following link and he meekly responded "well it's pretty good for a Monday night" when I called him on his bullshit. Lol he was apparently there

https://heavy.com/news/2019/11/trump-kentucky-ky-rally-crowd-size/

BonoMan posted:

Voted today in Mississippi but the stupid machines don't have a way of confirming how it saw your ballot (it's just a paper ballot that's scanned by a machine). It only checks to see if you are sure about the races you left blank. Who decided that's a good system?

The people selling the system (and depending on how strong machine politics are in your district, the people buying them)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/BGPolitics/status/1191785663529725952

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

It's a common thing though, the few years that span generations always have a group of people that feel like they don't fit with either gen. People in their early 50's right now straddled the gap between boomers and gen-x and don't feel like either gen.

Is it really common, though? It's not like we have a massive sample size of modern generations to work with. It seems way more common with millennials than anyone else, and I suspect that's because "millennial" has taken on almost universally negative connotations and a lot of old millennials grew up before the term was in use.

I'd argue that most people don't feel especially close generational ties to people who are more than a few years older or younger than them, and that's why cohorts don't work super well for casual discussion. It's not at all clear to me why someone born in 1982 should feel closer to someone born in 1978 than to someone born in 1986, other than preferring an association with one label over another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Paradoxish posted:

Is it really common, though? It's not like we have a massive sample size of modern generations to work with. It seems way more common with millennials than anyone else, and I suspect that's because "millennial" has taken on almost universally negative connotations and a lot of old millennials grew up before the term was in use.

I'd argue that most people don't feel especially close generational ties to people who are more than a few years older or younger than them, and that's why cohorts don't work super well for casual discussion. It's not at all clear to me why someone born in 1982 should feel closer to someone born in 1978 than to someone born in 1986, other than preferring an association with one label over another.

It's an N=1 but I heard it all the time from Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew Pinsky on their podcasts. They're both ~50-60 and talk about being born in the 60's but not feeling any connection with baby boomers or gen x. When they were kids their parents harped on them for not being great like their parents and going out to fight wars. And when gen x was coming of age and MTV was in its prime, those guys were 30 something young professionals that didn't have time or any care for it. I have a feeling if you talk to any 50 year old they won't feel like either gen suits them.

edit: Oh and for your second paragraph actually I fit that precisely. Born in '82 and my sister was born in '78. She's definitely gen-x, although a bit young for it. She lived the rage against corporations, grunge, etc. of the 90s and feels a strong connection. I was like 9 years old and just barely understanding what that stuff meant--I was far more interested in The Oregon Trail and the space shuttle launches. Where I _do_ feel a strong connection with her is that we both have seen the world before the internet and after the internet--like how it massively changed everything about our culture, norms, etc. I don't see that same connection with most millenials (especially younger ones)... they have a hard time remembering what it was like to do things like date, socialize, etc. before everyone had email, instant messenger, etc. I definitely feel completely of place of both gens. But when push comes to shove, I'm 'siding' with millenials... their progressive attitudes and incredible perseverance (just look at what they've accomplished and will accomplish with the complete poo poo sandwich they've been handed) are amazing and inspiring. All the true gen-x'ers I know love to count their stock and wash their Teslas.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2019