Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I know this thread is focused on build your own drones, but does anyone know where I can get a phantom 4 black intelligent flight battery? DJI doesn’t have them listed on their site anymore. Finally have time to fly more often and a mismatched battery would drive me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

I know this thread is focused on build your own drones, but does anyone know where I can get a phantom 4 black intelligent flight battery? DJI doesn’t have them listed on their site anymore. Finally have time to fly more often and a mismatched battery would drive me nuts.

I think the p4pro, original and advanced all use compatible batteries

close your eyes until the drone gets high enough and you'll be ok

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

moron izzard posted:

close your eyes until the drone ...
Wait, is this not how we're supposed to be flying all the time? Looking in the goggles makes me queasy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CapnBry posted:

Wait, is this not how we're supposed to be flying all the time? Looking in the goggles makes me queasy.

I don’t even fly my drone anymore, I just put it on a pre programmed flight while I get the nu-metal tracks queued up so I can upload it to YouTube faster

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Buy some black vinyl dye and go to town on a white one ?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Did lots of flying this weekend, both LOS and FPV. My friends chased my airplane a lot, and despite doing three or four flights with three quads swarming it the whole time, we never midaired.

But we got

Really

Freaking

Close

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So the other day I was flying ...well the drone was flying I was just waiting for 40 minutes. I jokingly posted after that it was so boring and it sucked that I was using my phone to fly the drone so I had nothing to screw around on while waiting on the drone. I'd say like 3 people laughed and like 20 got super salty so mission accomplished.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

despite doing three or four flights with three quads swarming it the whole time, we never midaired

Yeah I'd say that was pretty freaking close haha.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Airplane should be named the E.HONDA

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

"It's only a quick little hover test, I don't have to tether it down." :downs:

On the plus side, it flies flew!

(e: The wires will be taped down (and antenna properly mounted) before I ~actually~ start flying)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't even understand how you would ever power up a propped fullsize craft indoors. Even unpropped you can check for motor and FC direction.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

That's simple: I'm an idiot.

I had already checked spin direction and such unpropped. I told myself I would barely hover, like not even lift fully into the air, just create a little lift as a proof-of-my-hours-of-loving-with-configurators-had-paid-offedness.

The inevitable occurred. I now understand Air Mode. I'm an idiot, but I'm a lucky idiot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't even understand how you would ever power up a propped fullsize craft indoors.
I've been autotuning my 5" indoors on windy days, when I still flew.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been autotuning my 5" indoors on windy days, when I still flew.

It's perfectly safe if nothing goes wrong.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Did my first loop and split s outside the simulator today. :feelsgood:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I just needed to check a config change I made last night real quick. Sure one of my props only has 2.7 blades on it, that won't be a problem. I'll even use a 3S battery. And ANGLE mode.

Something definitely went wrong. EDIT: But at least I was out on the back porch so it was like being in a blaster-proof room with a blaster going off.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 21, 2019

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I've only got one battery that I fly (flew) almost every day for the past two months and had the most fun thing happen. Flying straight and fast across a field, punched the throttle to shoot up high and the goggles went black. A fraction of a second later the video came back and I was still climbing, I reached apogee as the Betaflight logo came on the screen and I realized I had just sagged my battery so badly that I rebooted. Throttle down, disarm, set to ANGLE mode as I'm starting to fall back out of sky... and I realize I can't arm because the gyro calibration can't complete. I got to watch as my quad fell from about 50m up and snapped an arm on impact. The blackbox logs said that the previous punch was pulling 85A and sagged the battery to 3.1V/cell and I definitely gave it more throttle the second time so it was probably 90-100A.

Is there any trick to force arming in that situation?

Also, I want to "strap the quad down" to my workbench to get some better data about the limits, but I can't really google up any methods for doing this. I've got wood and nylon straps and clamps and everything I come up with feels a little loosey goosey. Any tips?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

In Betaflight there is an option called arming angle, set this to 180 to be able to arm at any angle. You also need to have your throttle 0 to arm.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CapnBry posted:

I've only got one battery that I fly (flew) almost every day for the past two months and had the most fun thing happen. Flying straight and fast across a field, punched the throttle to shoot up high and the goggles went black. A fraction of a second later the video came back and I was still climbing, I reached apogee as the Betaflight logo came on the screen and I realized I had just sagged my battery so badly that I rebooted. Throttle down, disarm, set to ANGLE mode as I'm starting to fall back out of sky... and I realize I can't arm because the gyro calibration can't complete. I got to watch as my quad fell from about 50m up and snapped an arm on impact. The blackbox logs said that the previous punch was pulling 85A and sagged the battery to 3.1V/cell and I definitely gave it more throttle the second time so it was probably 90-100A.

Is there any trick to force arming in that situation?

Also, I want to "strap the quad down" to my workbench to get some better data about the limits, but I can't really google up any methods for doing this. I've got wood and nylon straps and clamps and everything I come up with feels a little loosey goosey. Any tips?

There is a minimum arming angle, but IIRC that usually gets greyed out and goes away as soon as you enable turtle mode because the two sort of cancel eachother out and you cant even use turtle mode without your small_angle set to 180 anyways so it auto sets it.

BUT even if you manually set your small_angle to 180. I think what you did will always screw you over because rebooting the entire FC requires an inital calibration and it always needs to do one of those from a standstill, even if you've set it up to arm from any angle afterward. I think. Maybe you can bypass that entirely, but I don't think that is what small_angle does

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the small_angle only restricts you from arming if the quad isn't level, but mine is already set to 180 so I can arm in a tree. Betaflight still wants to calibrate the gyro when it starts up though, and wants the quad to be not moving when it does. I know iNav has a feature where if you try to arm 5 times inside of 10 seconds it will force arm, I didn't know if there was some simple trick in betaflight to do it too. I'm not sure it would even be able to stabilize itself if the gyro were uncalibrated or if arming was forced during a freefall though.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I remember coming across a setting called the "Moron Threshold" when searching for information about Betaflight a while ago. As I understand it, its purpose was to postpone gyro calibration until the gyro readings were stable (i.e. when the dumbass user finally puts the quad on the ground).

https://oscarliang.com/moron-threshold-betaflight/

According to the article, the setting was renamed to "gyro_calib_noise_limit", but I don't know if it's still called that in 4.x. It definitely sounds like it would have prevented arming on a freshly booted flight controller while in a freefall.

I think the real question is how you managed to starve the 5V regulator on a 3+ cell LiPo enough to reboot the flight controller. Even if it was step-down only, wouldn't it still be ok, even if vbat was sagged all the way down to 6-7V? I've had at least one "oh poo poo" moment with my relatively thirsty 5" hexacopter where it bogged down to ~2.5V per cell (before bouncing back up to 3.5V under load) and experienced a major drop in power when pulling out of a dive and neither the FC nor the VTX seemed to care.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Check my understanding: On a R-XSR receiver, there's no need to connect "SBUS IN" on the receiver to anything unless I'm doing a crazy dual receiver setup, right? I just need "SBUS OUT" going to a RX on the FC... right?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rincey posted:

Check my understanding: On a R-XSR receiver, there's no need to connect "SBUS IN" on the receiver to anything unless I'm doing a crazy dual receiver setup, right? I just need "SBUS OUT" going to a RX on the FC... right?

The guides I'm looking at also indicate you'll need to connect the S.Port pad to get telemetry working.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Zorilla posted:

I think the real question is how you managed to starve the 5V regulator on a 3+ cell LiPo enough to reboot the flight controller. Even if it was step-down only, wouldn't it still be ok, even if vbat was sagged all the way down to 6-7V? I've had at least one "oh poo poo" moment with my relatively thirsty 5" hexacopter where it bogged down to ~2.5V per cell (before bouncing back up to 3.5V under load) and experienced a major drop in power when pulling out of a dive and neither the FC nor the VTX seemed to care.
Yeah that's what's got me puzzled as well and why I want to strap the thing down so I can hook it up to the oscilloscope to see what is happening. It's running 4S with a 1000uF cap on the input, and even a 100uF low-ESR cap on output of the 5V buck on the flight controller (which also runs 4x LEDs and a buzzer). It really should not brown out like that, but these are all the cheapest parts I could find, a $25 Racerstar 35A 4-in-1, and a $15 Omnibus F4 V3, so it is possible they're just not performing all that well. The video feed looked ok right up to the reboot, but there's a big custom LC filter on that so if there was major noise at the FC then I may not notice it. I've kinda sidelined figuring out what's wrong until my set of replacement arms comes in and I can reattach that motor though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol, I just got surrounded by 8 cops and held for half an hour while they confirmed it was okay for me to fly my whoop in the local park.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

Lol, I just got surrounded by 8 cops and held for half an hour while they confirmed it was okay for me to fly my whoop in the local park.

Was a great day for it. Too bad I was nursing a hangover. No problems at all? Did you have anything at the ready highlighting the regulations (printed or links to websites)?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Was a great day for it. Too bad I was nursing a hangover. No problems at all? Did you have anything at the ready highlighting the regulations (printed or links to websites)?

No problems, just scared the hell out of me. They searched me to make sure I didn't have a memory card and wasn't recording video, took photos of my kit, and then spent half an hour on the phone figuring out of I was doing anything wrong or not.

I was flying in a different part of the park because my regular spot had people in it, which it turns out is right behind Gakushuin Womens College, which my wife informs me is attended by princess Aiko, so that might have been why they were freaking out.

I won't be flying there again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rincey posted:

For control yes. If you want telemetry you put s.port on a uart and configure that. It's cool for having your radio yell at you on low vBat etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Had a really close call with a plane on Saturday, and Today was out flying again, 30 mins after I leave a fuckin plane crashes at the airport. Cursed.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Elendil004 posted:

Had a really close call with a plane on Saturday, and Today was out flying again, 30 mins after I leave a fuckin plane crashes at the airport. Cursed.

Uh, your post makes you out to be very irresponsible. Hope that isn't the case and you have and update safety plans.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Uh, your post makes you out to be very irresponsible. Hope that isn't the case and you have and update safety plans.

Sorry kept the details vague. I've been flying commercially for 6ish years and I was being about as safe as possible. Airport switched the active runway without notifying me (as they we had all agreed would happen in a switch) and only caught it when a plane took off, my spotter saw it and I dove the drone for the ground.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Have any of you all taken drones traveling with you in the EU?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Sorry kept the details vague. I've been flying commercially for 6ish years and I was being about as safe as possible. Airport switched the active runway without notifying me (as they we had all agreed would happen in a switch) and only caught it when a plane took off, my spotter saw it and I dove the drone for the ground.
lmao why are you loving flying there

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao why are you loving flying there

Sounds like he was on a job?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Elendil004 posted:

I have done a lot of flying of giant scale RC planes at full scale airports and air shows and my experience is that most full scale pilots don’t give a single gently caress about what the might be going on at the local small airport. I fly at an RC club that is at a small full scale airport, which closes to full scale traffic during RC contests or events, and without fail at least one plane comes in for landing when we are there every time. They are warned on radio that the airport is closed, but they don’t have a radio, their radio is on the wrong frequency, or they acknowledge, say they didn’t see the NOTAM, and land anyway. We land our stuff, let them come in, then carry on.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Edit: goddamn double post

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 5, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

I have done a lot of flying of giant scale RC planes at full scale airports and air shows and my experience is that most full scale pilots don’t give a single gently caress about what the might be going on at the local small airport. I fly at an RC club that is at a small full scale airport, which closes to full scale traffic during RC contests or events, and without fail at least one plane comes in for landing when we are there every time. They are warned on radio that the airport is closed, but they don’t have a radio, their radio is on the wrong frequency, or they acknowledge, say they didn’t see the NOTAM, and land anyway. We land our stuff, let them come in, then carry on.

Just report them to the FAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Double..forum is not having fun today