Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Adventures at 6400ISO on Canon...

Wilcat Parking Lot Owl-2995 on Flickr

Actually I'm pretty psyched about this photo. There were owls here yesterday but it was so dark photos were pretty impossible. Took a chance they might stage into the same tree and came back today a lot earlier, and they actually cooperated!
The noise is fine imo. That's a great look and pose, and I like how the owl is framed.

The measure of a good duck photo is how much duck poop you were covered in after you took your shots, and from the look of it you were belly-down in the stuff to get that angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

The measure of a good duck photo is how much duck poop you were covered in after you took your shots, and from the look of it you were belly-down in the stuff to get that angle.

There's actually a wooden boardwalk around the marshy area where I took those. Combined with a lot of precipitation lately raising the water level to just below the boardwalk I was able to just lay down there and shoot just above the water while staying dry and out of the duck poop. I have considered throwing on my waders to get into the water in some other spots, but with my luck I'd end up tipping over and dunking my non-weather sealed camera.

Speaking of, is there a waterproof enclosure/bag system that doesn't cost as much as a nice used car worth buying?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Tawny Frogmouth August 2019 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The local wildlife carer group (I'm a member) sent out a call today for photos of a few key local species, and that prompted me to dig into some photos I took back in August. Maybe my motivation will re-appear and I'll finish going through the set - the rest of my August bird photos do not include any other species they're looking for.

This is for a waste management plan thing of some kind. More birds, less garbage? Sure, sign me up!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

wow

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So dirty

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Myrtle Warbler-3227 on Flickr

moon owl-3454 on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I don't know what the deal was today but I finally had some free time to get out to the prarie and near the end of the walk I just had flycatchers coming up and straight up landing on me like I was a Disney princess or some poo poo. It wasn't defensive behavior at all, maybe they just assumed I was also a fencepost with my brown jacket, or I was covered in bugs, or someone's feeding them, or they were bird photogs in a past life, I don't know.

Normally if someone's feeding animals they act like total assholes so I don't get the impression it was that.

Not flycatchers:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^^ Cool shots. Birds won't land on me until I die and collapse in a field somewhere.

Anyone know when snow owls might be migrating up past/into boundary bay (near Vancouver)? I think there are a few people who lurk this thread from the area but maybe even some non-local serious birders would have an idea.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Good day today. Got monk parakeets at the grocery store parking lot on the way to the prarie.

Light was a lot better today.

Also I figured out that the flycatchers like the EM-1X shutter sound? Maybe it sounds like a bug or another bird to them.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Oh hello thread, long time no see

Here's some birds I photographed in Guatemala (I was there for work and was too busy working to get out to where all the tropical birds are) back in July/August

Great-tailed Grackle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great-tailed Grackle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Turkey Vulture by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And back home today - winter migration is going on, prairie falcon that has been hanging around for the past couple years showed up this week, saw a couple flocks of snow buntings and a rough-legged hawk outside the city

First time I've ever photographed a Boreal Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Boreal Chickadee by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

House Finch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

House Finch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Dark-eye Junco by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Oh, lots of cool stuff on this page! This one is very cute, but I can't quite tell what's going on with the bird's head in the middle:

Atlatl posted:

Good day today. Got monk parakeets at the grocery store parking lot on the way to the prarie.

Where are you, that you see parakeets at the grocery store?

Growing up on the East Coast, I was used to seeing Blue Jays. Out here in the west, we get Steller's Jays, which have a rad crest. I sat at a table for a good 20 minutes or so before this one finally showed up. I think it wanted food from me, but I didn't have any. Just look at that crest!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Nice closeups! It looks angry with the brow markings.

Those were in South Austin, they're preening each other and it's bending its head to lean in. They were started off as escaped pets a long time ago but they're not invasive here, the climate just happens to be similar enough to where they normally live in South America that they're doing well now. They're still tricky to find.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice Steller’s Jay shots! Yeah, the west is much better for corvid action.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Found my first Snowy Owl of this season today

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

VelociBacon posted:

^^ Cool shots. Birds won't land on me until I die and collapse in a field somewhere.

I had a giant fuckoff blackback* seagull land on my head once when i was birding from a boat.
City seagulls are pretty aggressive and noisy but not that big but this dude was about the size of an eagle. Never realised a bird could weigh several kilos (or 2.2 * several pounds)
These dudes only live along the coast which is probably the reason for their size.

*Literal translation from their norwegian name

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Great Black Backed Gulls are huge and voracious predators, very cool birds.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
lake birbs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Baited Jay by B. B., on Flickr

Foggy Jay by B. B., on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
drat dude i need to start buying birdseed

Ok so I finally got a fresnel beamer for my flash and I kinda of realize that my cheap speedlight is not going to cut it for HSS long range shots or bif. I do have questions though, how can I mount my flash so that I don't get the vaporwave bird eye look? Is it possible to do it while carrying hand held or am I going be tied down to a tripod? I figure it has to do with the beam coming straight on to the subject, but if I mount it off to the side, how do I deal with parallax/actually hitting a random subject with the beam?

bad test pic:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Atlatl posted:

drat dude i need to start buying birdseed

Ok so I finally got a fresnel beamer for my flash and I kinda of realize that my cheap speedlight is not going to cut it for HSS long range shots or bif. I do have questions though, how can I mount my flash so that I don't get the vaporwave bird eye look? Is it possible to do it while carrying hand held or am I going be tied down to a tripod? I figure it has to do with the beam coming straight on to the subject, but if I mount it off to the side, how do I deal with parallax/actually hitting a random subject with the beam?

bad test pic:

Considered a flash brqcket rig like wedding photographers use?
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE...ctronics&sr=1-6

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ One of the things I miss the most about the Canadian prairies is the Snowy Owls. Very nice!

Could I get some help on an ID here? I saw this little guy in Ontario about a year ago, in Killbear Provincial Park on the eastern shore of Georgian Bay. I left all of my North American bird stuff in Canada when I moved to Australia.

SD 194 Killbear PP 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 194 Killbear PP 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It looks like a juvenile of some type of passerine, they can be hard to tell species as often the full adult plumage is very different to the juve, maybe some sort of chat or pipit. If it were the UK id say European Robin.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s either Veery or Swainson’s Thrush?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks! A quick GIS puts it closer to a Swainson's Thrush, which I'm pretty sure I've seen before in similar habitat. A juvenile tracking down the last of the autumn food before heading south makes sense.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New rough edit of a photo from 2016

sage grouse head and tail logo-0609 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Short Eared Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

You've been killing it with the owls lately. That's a gorgeous SEO!

Was that around Edmonton?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

You've been killing it with the owls lately. That's a gorgeous SEO!

Was that around Edmonton?

Thanks, outside the Edmonton area, was asked to be discreet about that location though, sorry

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I've lived in Alberta for 40 years and you see more owls in 1 winter than I've seen in my life. Very nice, and I'm a bit jealous.
edit: Just checked eBird and I guess I'm heading out to Legal / Rivière Qui Barre this weekend

Birudojin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 3, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
oops looks like my clown rear end was shooting jpg this whole week because I forgot to change it after doing some macro work. At least olympus has decent jpg colors, though I'm really not a fan of how noise reduction works in camera now that I'm peeping these.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Got real close to stuff this morning and that phoebe was back.

got my reflection in the eye :toot:

bonus meme northern cardinal

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Fantail by Marc, on Flickr

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

That's a great shot! Is it rain or a splash coming from below the frame?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Pretty Cool Name posted:

That's a great shot! Is it rain or a splash coming from below the frame?

Garden sprinkler. It was a hot day and the birds were flying in and out of it

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
i wish i had a yard :smith:

Three Cormorant Moon

I'm gonna focus stack the moon in once I'm not working off my laptop, not sure if it will make it look too fake though.

This fuckin bird was just sitting on this branch like 5 feet off the walking path and nobody even noticed it except me, the crazy person taking telephoto pictures of a tree right next to him.

judgmental looks:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

This is fantastic. I think the moon looks good as is.

Does anyone make bird calendars for friends/family? I just put together my 2020 calendar and wanted to share some of it. Feel free to post some of your favorite photos from the past year.

Cover - Rosy-faced Lovebird

March - Snowy Egret

April - Gila Woodpecker

May - Great Egret

October - Neotropic Cormorant