Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/Ippei_painter/status/1189905081509896192

I choose to believe this is Mercedes roasting her little brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I just got Claude's C with Annette. What other of her supports besides Claude and Felix have her singing, because I must catch them all.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I had a longer post with spoilers and poo poo but I lost it, I just want to say they really did a good job of making Dimitri the "lost little fatherless boy trying to fill his fathers shoes" I guess with Japan's work culture that's a thing they can really nail down though.

The only scene you see Dimitri's dad in, he's leaving; and he goes "I know Dimitri will turn out alright, I told him right from wrong, it's fine!" And thats heartbreaking when you compare it to Dimitri's actual character where he tells Byleth at one point "The only reason I came to the academy was for one thing alone. Revenge." There's some real tragedy there.

It's almost flat how hard they lay on it but 90% of his supports are him saying "Dont call me a prince" "I dont want this, Im just a regular person"--he doesnt want to be a prince, hes just trying to fill the role. I almost feel like Rodrigue was meant to be Dimitri's father, but that may be the point of him as a character--a surrogate father figure. He's uncle because dad's always at work.

Felix's arc is just subdued hatred at Dimitri because he lost his own brother and his own father isnt even there for him because hes busy being a surrogate father for Dimitri whose father was never there. They pull it back and that plot loses some punch but the bones are still there. People get hung up on the "boar" part of the boar prince thing but I dont think that was too much more than simple symbolism, I think the real thing is it's meant to show how much Felix hates Dimitri.And there are spoilers there between Dimitri and Rodrigue which I kind of wish they didnt just brush away.

He's playing the prince but they do a good job of writing a politician--where theyre actually just kind of selfish. He is a child, he's like 17 in part one? (If you think about it he would have been like 12 or 13 when his parent(s) were killed)Teenagers are notorious dicks. He's not really a "prince" until the last like four missions. I thought I liked Claude best, but Dimitri is actually a much more interesting character. He seemed bland when I first played it, but when you pick that route, you realize that's just the mask or whatever.

I kind of like the Dynasty Warriors "three stories" thing, its much better than what they tried with Fates and Conquest, although I still find myself trying to find which story is meant to be the "true" one.

Dimitri is "daddy issues" personified. Dimitri is a very tragic character. Hes very flawed but his flaws are very human. I might be projecting.

I just finished playing the Blue Lion route which is why I wrote all of this.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 4, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just made it to the final chapters in gd run (got distracted by other games), and uh this kind if comes out of nowhere.

I liked blue lions route the most, it’s the most coherent and complete story I feel. Also least deaths if you recruit everyone.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I keep Google searching and can't find ANY explanation on how romance between supporting characters works. Is it just based on who gets to A-support level first?

My good, good boy Felix needs the right girl in his life.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

TheLoser posted:

I keep Google searching and can't find ANY explanation on how romance between supporting characters works. Is it just based on who gets to A-support level first?

My good, good boy Felix needs the right girl in his life.

First Byleth gets to pick their paired ending, and those two characters get their ending. Then it looks at the support points for every remaining character that reached A-support with anyone. All characters can keep earning support points after hitting A-support up to their hidden support cap. The pair with the highest support points get to have their paired ending together. Then the game looks for the pair with the next highest support points among the remaining characters, and so on, and so forth, until it runs out of A-supports.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When you look at a character’s profile, there’s a list of their top three favorite people. If two characters are each other’s favorite, they will pair.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When you look at a character’s profile, there’s a list of their top three favorite people. If two characters are each other’s favorite, they will pair.

Unless a pair higher in the chain derails it. I had Ferdinand and Marianne dine and run together for the longest time, wanted Bernie with Caspar, and planned on Shamir going solo as I ran out of pairs. Their top favorite people fit that going into the last 2 battles. I don't know what derailed it but I sent the five of them up to the top right to deal with a mini boss in the final fight and there were hearts all around. When I got my endings, Marianne was happily alone, Caspar was with Shamir, and Bernie ended up with Ferdinand.

Combat also seems to give more points than dining. Sometimes takes 2-3 meals to get C whereas slap someone on as an adjutant backpack and they'll get the C after 1 kill it feels like.

I'm letting the chips fall where they may this time through, though some supports are much better than others.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Hey guys check out this sweet fanart of ignatz I found
https://twitter.com/fishuuuu/status/1172329259366371331

Devoyniche posted:

Felix's arc is just subdued hatred at Dimitri because he lost his own brother and his own father isnt even there for him because hes busy being a surrogate father for Dimitri whose father was never there. They pull it back and that plot loses some punch but the bones are still there. People get hung up on the "boar" part of the boar prince thing but I dont think that was too much more than simple symbolism, I think the real thing is it's meant to show how much Felix hates Dimitri.And there are spoilers there between Dimitri and Rodrigue which I kind of wish they didnt just brush away.
IMO, Felix doesn't hate him for focusing on Dimitri, he hates him because he's basically Faerghus culture personified, what with his fixation on knighthood and chivalry and all that. Felix's brother died, and while he's grieving, Rodrigue tells him "he died like a true knight" ie - "hey you know this thing that's loving you up right now?? IMO that was a good outcome, I'm proud of him, so you have no reason to be sad :downs:"

Basically, Rodrigue's method of dealing with grief was embracing the ideals of chivalry - he doesn't have to be sad about his son's death if he can convince himself it was for the greater good! - whereas Felix doesn't care about any of that, he just knows that his brother's dead, and he died because of those ideals.

The two of them get along like oil and water and I love recruiting him on Crimson Flower to throw a match into the mix.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bagrada posted:

Unless a pair higher in the chain derails it. I had Ferdinand and Marianne dine and run together for the longest time, wanted Bernie with Caspar, and planned on Shamir going solo as I ran out of pairs. Their top favorite people fit that going into the last 2 battles. I don't know what derailed it but I sent the five of them up to the top right to deal with a mini boss in the final fight and there were hearts all around. When I got my endings, Marianne was happily alone, Caspar was with Shamir, and Bernie ended up with Ferdinand.

Combat also seems to give more points than dining. Sometimes takes 2-3 meals to get C whereas slap someone on as an adjutant backpack and they'll get the C after 1 kill it feels like.

I'm letting the chips fall where they may this time through, though some supports are much better than others.

Yeah they have to be #1 on each other’s lists at the final battle. But there’s a hidden cap on support points and if you hit it with multiple characters it picks alphabetically or something weird like that. Which is how my Dorothea ended up with Linhardt instead of Petra in my first run.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah they have to be #1 on each other’s lists at the final battle. But there’s a hidden cap on support points and if you hit it with multiple characters it picks alphabetically or something weird like that. Which is how my Dorothea ended up with Linhardt instead of Petra in my first run.

I’m fairly sure the internal ordering is the same as the roster order, with the caveat that Black Eagles come first, then Blue Lions, then Golden Deer (even though your chosen house is presented to you at the top).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

The two of them get along like oil and water and I love recruiting him on Crimson Flower to throw a match into the mix.

OTOH Felix in pretty much all but a handful of paired supports has a pretty tragic ending in CF: between the stress of fighting a war and fighting (or potentially personally killing!) his father and Dimitri, he breaks down and is only able to fixate on battle and killing, to the point he admits to Byleth he's become the very thing he hated Dimitri for supposedly being. Most of his endings are him wandering the world as a mercenary, leaving a pile of bodies in his wake for little to no purpose.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Would like to see him in the next fire emblem game shame they don’t make sequels that take place in the same world/timeframe

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DropsySufferer posted:

Would like to see him in the next fire emblem game shame they don’t make sequels that take place in the same world/timeframe

Except for Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and FE6/7

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Except for Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and FE6/7

And FE 1/2/3 as well as FE 4/5.

I'm surprised they've stopped.

That said I'm unsure what they could do to sequelize the game, since there are three endings.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Sydin posted:

OTOH Felix in pretty much all but a handful of paired supports has a pretty tragic ending in CF: between the stress of fighting a war and fighting (or potentially personally killing!) his father and Dimitri, he breaks down and is only able to fixate on battle and killing, to the point he admits to Byleth he's become the very thing he hated Dimitri for supposedly being. Most of his endings are him wandering the world as a mercenary, leaving a pile of bodies in his wake for little to no purpose.
well, I didn't say it was a good outcome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Airspace posted:

And FE 1/2/3 as well as FE 4/5.

I'm surprised they've stopped.

That said I'm unsure what they could do to sequelize the game, since there are three endings.

1000 years into the future, game transfer determines who the main villain is

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sydin posted:

That's why you pair him with Lysithea for maximum feels paired ending.

After the war, Felix abandoned his noble title and chose to make a living with his sword. He traveled the land, seeking battle as if he had a death wish, but his violent path came to an end when he happened upon Lysithea, who had been living in a small house in the middle of nowhere with her parents. Seeing her—condemned to live a shortened life, but smiling and making the most of every day with her family—convinced Felix that life was precious. He gave up his sword to join her, and the two spent their lives baking sweets. Lysithea's recipe became known far and wide, and the treat became a tradition for the people of that region.

:unsmith:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that means not pairing Lysithea with Linhardt though, which is unacceptable

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that means not pairing Lysithea with Linhardt though, which is unacceptable

Linhardt only wants best boy Caspar :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

eating only apples posted:

Linhardt only wants best boy Caspar :colbert:

:hmmyes: I really can't see them as anything but meant for each other. And while yes there's Sylvain and Felix, that's more Sylvain being the closeted gay guy, Felix just knows he's bi and goes with it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

you know, given Lysithea dies unless you pair her up with Linhardt/Hanneman/Byleth/Edelgard(?), I feel like she should've gotten a part 2 late-game paralogue resolving that where you go beat up some slitherins until they cough up their research notes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, given Lysithea dies unless you pair her up with Linhardt/Hanneman/Byleth/Edelgard(?), I feel like she should've gotten a part 2 late-game paralogue resolving that where you go beat up some slitherins until they cough up their research notes

While it makes sense on non CF routes, her early death makes no sense on CF. Edelgard is dying the same way and she get saved, they don't help out their good friend Lysithea?! Or if she must die have a throway line about how El's cure took time, but it's time she had that Lysithea didn't or something....it's just a frustrating plot hole.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the Byleth one doesn't even make sense because even on BL where you have zero interaction with the slithers if you S rank Lysithea then Byleth can magically remove Lysithea's crests offscreen with no explanation of how. Hanneman and Linhardt at least make sense because it's kinda their whole thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes: I really can't see them as anything but meant for each other.

Honestly, Ashe/Caspar/Linhardt as a three-way pairing really works.

Caspar is just too much man for any single husband, particularly if one of his husbands wants sixteen hours of sleep per day.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, Ashe/Caspar/Linhardt as a three-way pairing really works.

Caspar is just too much man for any single husband, particularly if one of his husbands wants sixteen hours of sleep per day.

They solve crime.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Eimi posted:

While it makes sense on non CF routes, her early death makes no sense on CF. Edelgard is dying the same way and she get saved, they don't help out their good friend Lysithea?! Or if she must die have a throway line about how El's cure took time, but it's time she had that Lysithea didn't or something....it's just a frustrating plot hole.

Does she get saved? Edelgard's shortened lifespan never gets mentioned outside of her support and ending with Lysithea, and her other endings don't specify how long she reigned as emperor.

Sydin posted:

Yeah the Byleth one doesn't even make sense because even on BL where you have zero interaction with the slithers if you S rank Lysithea then Byleth can magically remove Lysithea's crests offscreen with no explanation of how. Hanneman and Linhardt at least make sense because it's kinda their whole thing.

The game itself never explains it, but a theory that made sense to me is that Lysithea's own involvement is essential to finding a cure. She's a genius and an incredibly hard worker on top of that, so even with no prior experience in crest research, she could quickly make incredible advancements in the field, but she needs a partner to motivate her to keep going, and in her other endings, she decides to spend what time she has in other ways instead of looking for a cure she's not sure she'll even find.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

Does she get saved? Edelgard's shortened lifespan never gets mentioned outside of her support and ending with Lysithea, and her other endings don't specify how long she reigned as emperor.

The game itself never explains it, but a theory that made sense to me is that Lysithea's own involvement is essential to finding a cure. She's a genius and an incredibly hard worker on top of that, so even with no prior experience in crest research, she could quickly make incredible advancements in the field, but she needs a partner to motivate her to keep going, and in her other endings, she decides to spend what time she has in other ways instead of looking for a cure she's not sure she'll even find.

When it comes to El. Lysithea's shortened life span is directly called out while no ending mentions El dies young so we are left to presume she doesn't. It's vague but that's my take.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Edelgard has a few more years after Lysithea since there was around a five year gap between their infusions.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/moyashi_mou2/status/1191328100052635650

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Edelgard has a few more years after Lysithea since there was around a five year gap between their infusions.
Lysithea was also the prototype, while Edelgard was the refined version.

Sydin posted:

galaxy brain take: after the credits, Byleth figures out enough about her demi-godhood to access NG+ powers, and simply de-equips one of lysithea's (now visible) crest items

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am impressed how they managed to make pre timeskip Lorenz not as hideous. Also Caspar and Ferdie need to step up and not let Hubert do all the work.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rand Brittain posted:

Linhardt doesn't sleep sixteen hours a day. He stays up for two or three days at a time fixating on whatever project has caught his attention, then catches up when he gets bored. How extremely normal and healthy :3:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Is there something I'm missing with triangle attack or is it pretty boring? I never got it off in Fates so when I wound up with three fliers for the Seteth + Flayn paralogue I went for it. It didn't hit hard enough to waste 2 peoples' turns. which would have been fine if it had a cool animation but no. I would have been fine with all 3 attacking in sequence for normal damage even, but instead the one using the art just makes one straight up attack that does a bit more damage but less than a crit, and that's that.

edit: it wouldn't do anything more if all three of them had triangle attack mastered, would it? Probably giving the devs too much credit.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 7, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

bagrada posted:

Is there something I'm missing with triangle attack or is it pretty boring? I never got it off in Fates so when I wound up with three fliers for the Seteth + Flayn paralogue I went for it. It didn't hit hard enough to waste 2 peoples' turns. which would have been fine if it had a cool animation but no. I would have been fine with all 3 attacking in sequence for normal damage even, but instead the one using the art just makes one straight up attack that does a bit more damage but less than a crit, and that's that.

edit: it wouldn't do anything more if all three of them had triangle attack mastered, would it? Probably giving the devs too much credit.

You don't lose the turns with other people. You can do whatever you want with them, they just have to finish their turns next to the character. Basically, it's about placement and using canto right to change the placement of 2 units after their turns to be next to one hard enemy, and then use Triangle Attack with the third.

As long as you do it well, Triangle Attack is more or less the best (not Edelgard relic) attack in the game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Arkeus posted:

You don't lose the turns with other people. You can do whatever you want with them, they just have to finish their turns next to the character. Basically, it's about placement and using canto right to change the placement of 2 units after their turns to be next to one hard enemy, and then use Triangle Attack with the third.

As long as you do it well, Triangle Attack is more or less the best (not Edelgard relic) attack in the game.

Ahh yeah fair enough. I typed that up late and was thinking only of the mission I used it in where I sent the air force to the islands and the enemy units were positioned oddly. Seteth did get in some attacks while positioning even. I was just hoping for more flash to the animation. Fair enough. I'll keep it in my back pocket for part two since two of my main force will be hopping on wyverns by then.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So... I didn't expect the next story mission to throw a bunch of damage-spongy Demonic Beasts at me, which in turn makes saving the students seemingly impossible. Any advice?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

VolticSurge posted:

So... I didn't expect the next story mission to throw a bunch of damage-spongy Demonic Beasts at me, which in turn makes saving the students seemingly impossible. Any advice?

Is it investigating the church with jeralt? If you have a beefy dude or two that can hold the line, try sending them off alone and have them use a gambit or two to draw aggro. That could buy you enough time for your main group to catch up.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

gambits make the beast target whoever hit them with it. If you break all the armor, they're stunned for a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The students don't die in one hit, and they carry heals themselves. You have many turns to rescue them, even on maddening.