Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's amusing that the series has continued with Diablo as the main antagonist in all three games despite the lore having no shortage of bad guys. He'll probably be the prime baddie again in this one even if Lilith has received the main focus so far. You just know he's gonna show up (unless they save him for the expansion this time)!

The "I am not the Archangel Tyrael" twist at the end of D2 has gotta go down as one of the most badass video game endings ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Marius' reaction as he realizes what he's done is just soooo good

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
*kramers into thread* actually d2 story is worse than d3 you’re just older :smug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tyrael is an absolute dick to Marius. Sure he fucks up and releases Baal but to charge him with going to the jungle, find the portal to hell, GO TO HELL, find the hell forge and destroy the stone you just took?

Tyrael, buddy, maybe find someone better suited for the task? That said, Marius did make it to Mephisto/the gate before turning away so at the very least he’s very sneaky.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

It's amusing that the series has continued with Diablo as the main antagonist in all three games despite the lore having no shortage of bad guys. He'll probably be the prime baddie again in this one even if Lilith has received the main focus so far. You just know he's gonna show up (unless they save him for the expansion this time)!

It's called Diablo tbf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be fair diablo just means diablo in Italian

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ugh corpse runs.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been watching some of the D4 Blizzcon videos and uhm yeah.

I have no expectations that D4's story will be good but I really hope that it'll at least be unobtrusive.

The presentation looks like the same as the D2 presentation back in the day, only scaled to 2019. "Bigger world than before" needs to mean a lot more nowadays and so it seems. The World Bosses look cool and I hope they remain interesting and not a chore. Runes look like just trigger gems from Path of Exile and I'm fine with that, but the rest of the itemization... it just looks like D3 but somehow more anemic, so far.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Elentor posted:

I've been watching some of the D4 Blizzcon videos and uhm yeah.

I have no expectations that D4's story will be good but I really hope that it'll at least be unobtrusive.

The presentation looks like the same as the D2 presentation back in the day, only scaled to 2019. "Bigger world than before" needs to mean a lot more nowadays and so it seems. The World Bosses look cool and I hope they remain interesting and not a chore. Runes look like just trigger gems from Path of Exile and I'm fine with that, but the rest of the itemization... it just looks like D3 but somehow more anemic, so far.

But don't you see? The game won't out for 5 years so we aren't allowed to complain or speculate about the itemization.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I mean, whatever D4 ends up being, I'll still play the poo poo out of it as long as they don't regress from D3 in terms of loot. None of this "legendaries need to be extra rare so it feels good to get them" nonsense from D3 launch. Have that and "randomized" dungeons and I'll probably throw another couple hundred hours into a dumb game just to make monsters explode better with higher numbers.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tyrael is an absolute dick to Marius. Sure he fucks up and releases Baal but to charge him with going to the jungle, find the portal to hell, GO TO HELL, find the hell forge and destroy the stone you just took?

Tyrael, buddy, maybe find someone better suited for the task? That said, Marius did make it to Mephisto/the gate before turning away so at the very least he’s very sneaky.

I'm sure he would have found someone better suited if he didn't know he was about to get overpowered by baal in about 2 seconds.

Steve2911 posted:

It's called Diablo tbf.

This is a terrible argument tbf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, whatever D4 ends up being, I'll still play the poo poo out of it as long as they don't regress from D3 in terms of loot. None of this "legendaries need to be extra rare so it feels good to get them" nonsense from D3 launch.

Bad news on that front, amicus

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

euphronius posted:

Bad news on that front, amicus

I haven't seen anything to the contrary yet. Did I miss something?

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Tenzarin posted:

D3 story was fine, never really played d2 for the story.

I still shudder when anyone says "looking for baal?"

Diablo 2 at least had characters you cared about and fights that were memorable

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, whatever D4 ends up being, I'll still play the poo poo out of it as long as they don't regress from D3 in terms of loot. None of this "legendaries need to be extra rare so it feels good to get them" nonsense from D3 launch. Have that and "randomized" dungeons and I'll probably throw another couple hundred hours into a dumb game just to make monsters explode better with higher numbers.

The problem was that the legendaries were rare and they were TERRIBLE so it felt bad to find and get them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I haven't seen anything to the contrary yet. Did I miss something?

In that icy veins article I posted above

Legendaries rare

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

euphronius posted:

Legendaries rare

Rarer than they are now? They are already 'rare' in comparison to the other loot.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

wet_goods posted:

The problem was that the legendaries were rare and they were TERRIBLE so it felt bad to find and get them.

Yeah this is the real problem. If they're rare but also really good and interesting it's not so bad. Lots of games have reasonably low drop rates but still manage to be entertaining. Not that I'm advocating for horrible drop rates or anything.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We don't have absolute drop rates for anything. Legendaries will be more rare relative to "rare" items but they may not be rare in terms of being very difficult to find. The biggest take away from the loot stuff so far is that legendary items will be equivalent to sets in power and that you can only equip one mythic item which will have a bunch of random special mods.

And so far the mythic item they revealed had pretty boring random mods.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

wet_goods posted:

Diablo 2 at least had characters you cared about and fights that were memorable

NOT EVEN DEATH CAN SAVE YOU FROM ME

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Make all the really good uniques as rare as Tyrael's Might is in D2. If one of them drops, your head explodes with dopamine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My god people

They won’t drop as much as in D3
Drop rates will not be modified as you get farther into endgame (possibly one drop rate while leveling and another at max, but that’s it)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

Oh man they didn’t mention companions for d4. gently caress.

It's always online with areas that open up to more than a full group in d3. I think companions might be gone, or limited even more now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

Legendaries rare

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, very early during a season in D3 legendaries are mostly just Mat trash. You farm for a set and a handful of specific legendaries. It's pretty easy to reach this point. Eventually getting a legendary that's a real upgrade for your character can take a while. If the idea here is that rares are used more while we gather "better", less vendor trash legendaries than that's okay and sets as we know them take a secondary role I can be okay with that depending on how it turns out. So long as they have the proper balance of reasonable character growth vs time spent in game then maybe this won't *feel* much different than before.

On the other hand, they're going to gently caress this up and everyone is going to be pissed about it.

At the very least they better not get rid of tailored loot. That is, I hope we're not going back to the days of getting +int items when I'm playing a barb because "it's fun to get items for a character you're not playing" etc.

I will enjoy finding out how this turns out in 5 years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There isn’t int items at this point. Legos can be used by any class

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds like they want, using D3 colors:

White < Blue < Yellow < Green < Orange (Brown) < +1 Mythic

Green+ have ancient variants.

So if the loot treadmill is wearing whatever while you get a set running and then run that while you build out your legendary load out and then everything is on a drop rate so that you are getting upgrades at around the same pace as D3 then I'd be happy. You are just going through additional gear iterations in the process.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Some Forbes article about the loot said green and orange are on the same tier. So you can mix and match set and legendary stuff. And there are ancient versions of both. Mythic is a higher tier but since you can only wear one at a time it's not like you're trying to replace all your stuff with mythic.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Icey-Veins Article posted:

Itemization

Legendaries

They are the focal point of gearing

More legendaries than ever before (hundreds)

Not going the huge 300-40,000% buff route

5 types of legendaries so far- skill specific, skill category specific, +x to multiple skills or talents, talent specific, non-class specific,

You can stack several legendary powers that affect 1 skill

Can be ancient, as in D3

They won't drop as much as in D3

Drop rates will not be modified as you get farther into endgame (possibly one drop rate while leveling and another at max, but that's it)

Sets

Won't be as powerful as in D3

They will be more introductory items

They will be more easily acquirable than a full suite of legendaries (perhaps given through a series of quests?)

Heavily class themed, to get you a better feel for the class before you move on to specific builds through legendaries

Can be ancient, as in D3

Mythic items are the best in the game

You can only equip 1

They have 4 legendary affixes

Unclear whether they have existing legendary powers or unique mythic only ones

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
The thing with no respec is it makes leveling loot more powerful and worth having but is that worth leveling anther char?

Like gem of ease and cubing gems on gear is kind of useless (at least in soft core)

Tbh I’m ok with leveling chars for each spec as long as there are easy ways to power level even though that probably makes no sense

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can't you do 1-60 in D3 like, super fuckin quick in Adventure Mode? I seem to recall being able to bump the Difficulty up a few notches and cashing in.

For some reason I decided to make a Seasonal Character since reinstalling so I've gotta play through Story Mode like some kind of sucker :/

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Assuming the skill points don't get exponentially harder to grind out there may not be a point to re-rolling. Just play your main character more until you get the points you need. The new skill points sound more like paragon in D3 except maybe slightly more impactful and you can't change their allocation.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Can't you do 1-60 in D3 like, super fuckin quick in Adventure Mode? I seem to recall being able to bump the Difficulty up a few notches and cashing in.

For some reason I decided to make a Seasonal Character since reinstalling so I've gotta play through Story Mode like some kind of sucker :/

If you made a seasonal character you should be able to jump right into Adventure Mode w/o having to do the story

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The "I am not the Archangel Tyrael" twist at the end of D2 has gotta go down as one of the most badass video game endings ever.

Blizzard's storytelling was always this pulp "oh really" thing, but the execution back then was hella tight, particularly Diablo because - again, "oh really" - the Spanish word for the devil is not exactly horror-worthy

Then look at me freaking the gently caress out at the Butcher's room and welp

euphronius posted:

To be fair diablo just means diablo in Italian

[musters all the strength] b-b-b-but... it's "Diavolo"

[faints]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Inferno Hell debacle was on Sa games forums right

I’m so old

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

[musters all the strength] b-b-b-but... it's "Diavolo"

[faints]
Suddenly, this starts playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5pus7y5mY

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

wet_goods posted:

H... how often does this happen to you?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

The Inferno Hell debacle was on Sa games forums right

I’m so old

It was everywhere. "But isn't hell... inferno?" was something I got to hear even my old man asking. My entire country was on the joke to the point where they just changed, IIRC, Inferno to "Tormento" here (this was long before RoS).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
It's unsurprising, but I'm vaguely concerned they didn't even nod toward D3's story. It's supposed to be set in the future, right? But there's not even a mention of nephalem, even to handwave away that "oh the world is still lovely because the newly powered nephalem fought among each other and it sucked".

Like, I get that NPC Li-Ming being able to telefrag stuff to oblivion while dressed in bright colours messes with your ~dark and gritty~ and that D3's story is poorly received but they could've at least pretended it existed, y'know?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

To be honest if you have a story that tremendously embarassing as part of your series the best bet is to just hand wave it away and forget it happened. Maybe make a one-off joke about it somewhere but don't draw attention to it. Just go straight clean slate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lilith has the power to literally erase the whole era of D3 time.