Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you mean the new office app?

even that's 32bit x86 ffs.

the bloody surface rt got an arm 32 port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

this started as a skunkworks project during the hackathon last summer. when management saw that it could actually work, they turned it into a product.

if it wasn't for that one week, this wouldn't exist.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when management saw that chrome can run on linux ....?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
..isn't it just chredge, i.e. chomium?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

..isn't it just chredge, i.e. chomium?

aye

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it was about time they brought it back

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
1. building chromium locally is a pain in the rear end
2. building a CI system for chromium is an even bigger pain in the rear end
3. now ripping out the google stuff and putting in the microsoft stuff (Like Azure Active Directory support, etc.) and building that.
4. paying people to maintain said system across multiple distros at a company that only kinda cares about Linux is the biggest pain in the rear end of all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

4. paying people to maintain said system across multiple distros at a company that only kinda cares about Linux is the biggest pain in the rear end of all

my friend, have you heard of WSL?

ffs, they make powershell for linux

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pinterest Mom posted:

who is shipping 32 bit x86 apps

Every dumbshit rip off "scientific research" software company.

Some of them refuse to update from 16bit apps to run equipment.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

topic for random musings - for a 2019 greenfield project, what are the scenarios when azure is preferred to aws or gcp? let's assume a non-dod/feds oriented startup that has equal availability of people who know all the platforms

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

when you want native integration with AD and windows platforms/toolkits

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

when you want native integration with AD and windows platforms/toolkits

mssql too i guess?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah replace "windows platforms" with "microsoft platforms"

basically if you're comfortable being an ms shop and you don't want to use additional 3rd party tools for interoperability and connectivity between services

also you don't mind paying for everything

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 5, 2019

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
microsoft has much nicer enterprise agreements and support

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
how many people will return the pro x as soon as they figure out it can't run any apps

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

topic for random musings - for a 2019 greenfield project, what are the scenarios when azure is preferred to aws or gcp? let's assume a non-dod/feds oriented startup that has equal availability of people who know all the platforms

AD i guess. aws and gcp do everything else better, even windows hosts and sql server most likely (there is an sql server RDS)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I could understand the Pro X if it were cheaper than the Go, but at this outrageous price point? Why did it get made.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

AD i guess. aws and gcp do everything else better, even windows hosts and sql server most likely (there is an sql server RDS)

azure is better at windows vms and aws sql rds is a shitshow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk what gcp is tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google cloud platform

it's real fuckin janky poo poo. also google, so expect major functionality and entire product lines to change or be depreciated and eol'd daily

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

google cloud platform

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it’s time for transmeta to make a comeback, linus!!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lambert posted:

I could understand the Pro X if it were cheaper than the Go, but at this outrageous price point? Why did it get made.

I think they were hoping to get better battery life maybe? On non-emulated applications anyway. It's still loving dumb.

The x86 surfaces have theoretically decent battery life, but once you start running 40 watts through them (at least the high-end ones can do that if you want full performance with GPU use) it kinda goes down a good bit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just ban chome based apps to improve battery life

pram
Jun 10, 2001
theyre not gonna ban edge shagger

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

just ban chome based apps to improve battery life

boy do i have some bad news for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
non chome edge is real good

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

pram posted:

aws and gcp... sql server

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

microsoft has much nicer enterprise agreements and support

only if you’re a huge customer, otherwise it’s off to the spotty documentation

also expect to use c# everywhere or be treated as a second class citizen

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Boiled Water posted:

use c# everywhere or be treated as a second class citizen

as is right and proper

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

non chome edge is real good

Agreed

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

google cloud platform

Gartner, Q3 2019 (published Oct 25, 2019):

My own niche experience is that Google's rather worse than #3 in popularity.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does google even have regional offices or numbers you can call?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
they have a traditional sales force with account managers, presales, SDMs etc. it's more paas than iaas of course but if you need a dude to buy coffee and football tickets in order to be able to transact then they can do that.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

James Baud posted:

Gartner, Q3 2019 (published Oct 25, 2019):

My own niche experience is that Google's rather worse than #3 in popularity.

this graph is really hard to read lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I had a conversation in the SecThread, I think, where I had the weird requirement of some users have to have hard / disconnected tokens for MFA integrated with auth, and also a functioning email system (so add O365 or Gsuite) and Azure seemed to support that better from the discussion

Hed fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 6, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hed posted:

I had a conversation in the SecThread, I think, where I had the weird requirement of some users have to have hard / disconnected tokens for MFA integrated with auth, and also a functioning email system (so add O365 or Gsuite) and Azure seemed to support that better from the discussion

email is a good point, right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rude of you to dismiss the oracle cloud out of hand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

email is a good point, right

and if anyone in your org wants to use outlook for mail and calendaring, you will not be using gsuite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and if anyone in your org wants to use outlook for mail and calendaring, you will not be using gsuite

that was my last org - tech startup that then started hiring tons of lawyers and finance people during major expansion. gmail labels in outlook is quite an adventure