Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure if you haven't been paying attention but boris sacked a big pile of his MPs so the DUP don't even give him a majority any more.

Oh loving hell yeah. Thanks for the reminder. I've really got to get my brain into gear.

EDIT: It's September 1666 and London is on fire, JRM has some opinions about the people that died.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

limited posted:

I thought this too. Surely it would've been easier and-or smarter to throw the council / building management under the bus instead?

Seeing as they've got plenty of evidence of hazards being raised with both bodies, the company saving a few quid by using lovely materials and gently caress all was done about either.

It would have been incredibly easy to just say "It's the local council's fault" and turn that into a virtue, i.e. "Look, we're not partisan, we'll criticize a Tory council when they get it wrong!" and they don't even have to do anything after that just refer to it for the next few weeks and forget about it after the election.

But the tories are so thoroughly convinced of their own brain genius (Why would anyone disobey the instructions of the fire service? They're literally designed from the ground up to know exactly what's best to do in situations like this!) right to rule and superiority of their blood that they literally can't help themselves from talking poo poo about the victims of one of the great disasters in this country's recent history and the worst fire in 30-odd years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

This JRM poo poo has made me miserable all day, I don't know how he continues to surprise me with his absolute elitist evil poo poo but he does

Don't let it make you miserable. Let it make you hate. Any time you feel like politics aren't worth it, remember that this is what the ruling classes think of you and everyone you know and love. Have it in your back pocket for the next time some loving melt starts talking about how :decorum: is important. It might be unhealthy in the long term, but hate is a nice little psychic caffeine shot for when you need it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

RockyB posted:

The problem is so many low-information voters just aren't going to realise and still loving vote for them out of inertia. Just look at those replies to Corbyn's revolution tweet and how few people even bothered to watch the first ten seconds of video. Depressing, as much as I hold out hope for real change.

People on political Twitter aren't low-info voters, people on political Twitter are completely unrepresentative wierdos myself very much included. Low-info voters are normal people that are consistently loving knackered or dullard shitheads but statistically both can be meaningfully reached by someone knocking on their door, hearing their pain and saying your life could be better here's how.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vitamin P posted:

Not often I'm out-Epstein brained but yeah I see it, wasn't doing that angle though.
Yeah, I get it was a Pied Piper of Hamelin thing, but my extreme maturity (and UK politics poisoning) forced me into thinking "wonder if he's a nonce?"

Ms Adequate posted:

It would have been incredibly easy to just say "It's the local council's fault" and turn that into a virtue, i.e. "Look, we're not partisan, we'll criticize a Tory council when they get it wrong!" and they don't even have to do anything after that just refer to it for the next few weeks and forget about it after the election.

But the tories are so thoroughly convinced of their own brain genius (Why would anyone disobey the instructions of the fire service? They're literally designed from the ground up to know exactly what's best to do in situations like this!) right to rule and superiority of their blood that they literally can't help themselves from talking poo poo about the victims of one of the great disasters in this country's recent history and the worst fire in 30-odd years.
Right from the day it happened there were a bunch of alt-right shitheads pulling the "you have third world residents, you get third world buildings" poo poo, as if it was the residents who cladded it and drilled through the containment and put PVC gas mains in, it's unfortunately too easy to see how a gently caress like JRM that hangs around with the Traditional Britain Group might end up internalizing/weaponizing that line of thought, so I'll be unsurprised if it makes a comeback in the comment sewers during the election. It's deliberate.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Ratjaculation posted:

toxx this statement you coward!

Yeaaahh screw that. I wouldn't trust the Grauniad to eat a bacon sandwich without somehow smearing it over every possible bodily extremity.

E: That said ... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/04/the-guardian-view-on-labours-radical-plans-fix-the-economy-and-democracy

However, :toxx:: Labour will win an overall majority in the December 2019 elections, or lowtax gets another $10 towards his cyber-spine.

(My second ever toxx, and jesus it's been 12 years since I actually paid anything for these forums so why not :regd07:)

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 6, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is unrelated to the UK but I want to share how this Pinochet is very clearly Justin trudeaus brother

https://twitter.com/OckFranco/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ms Adequate posted:

The tories as they are will always support deregulation to the hilt and always look after their own unless they betray them in some more serious matter than burning a bunch of labour voters to death.
There was never an outcome where the tories hung the council or building...planners, its too late for my brain to know words, out to dry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not really sure I buy the idea that jacob rees mogg coming out with some dogshit "well I'm smart and you paups deserve to die" bullshit is some 4d hyperchess move.

Maybe he's just a disgusting human being and the tories are running with disgusting human beings as their front line in this election because they've literally gone through everyone else since cameron left.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of silly bets, odds on an overall Labour majority are now at 12/1 rather than the 22/1 I believe they were this time last week.

Liberal democrat overall majority is generally sitting at 100-125/1, which is hilariously worse than the Brexit party at 80-100/1.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

This is unrelated to the UK but I want to share how this Pinochet is very clearly Justin trudeaus brother

https://twitter.com/OckFranco/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Maybe Fidel Castro cucked his dad too

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1191837051781603328?s=20

Absolutely rattled.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

The tories as they are will always support deregulation to the hilt and always look after their own unless they betray them in some more serious matter than burning a bunch of labour voters to death.

That's not true though, early years Cameron would have one-nationed it, even T-May tried to address it in her own lovely way. This deliberate insulting of the dead is new, either it's them being undisciplined and going mask off or it's a strategy, but it's not business as usual behaviour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, that's an advertisement if you ask me :v:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Lmao

They're doing the opposite of 2017 when they got historically owned, they're pretending Labour is gonna sweep so they don't get owned twice in a row and they can then attack Labour as underperforming expectations. Don't be lulled into complacency, these people literally lie to preserve the rich being able to systemically exploit the poor, it's their job, go out and do whatever activism you are able to do and actually own them.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The Guardian had an article in their live blog earlier today about how Labour is under performing in the polls in London and it gave me bad anxiety.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Had an awesome night in South Ruislip tonight (nobody gave a poo poo about the poppy one way or another). Got to see Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar speak and met a whole bunch of cool and friendly people. Dunno how representative the streets we knocked on were, but I'd estimate we hit up about 100-150 houses and had decent chats at about half of them. What surprised me was that literally nobody on the doorstep brought up Brexit. Everyone wanted to talk about the NHS, how much they relied on it and how they wanted to support it. We even convinced a couple of people who "aren't political" that this election matters and they promised to vote Labour (and gave us hugs for being out on such a cold night).

In fact one of the best lines I came up to convince people was saying: "believe me, I would much rather be at home in the warm than out on a drizzly November night knocking on stranger's doors. But this is really important. Things have to change".

There was one weirdo 17 year old who answered the door and said she was telling her friends to vote Tory, but her Labour-supporting mother looked dead embarrassed and said she was just being rebellious against her family. I said if she's about to go off to uni she'd be stupid to vote Tory at this election when Labour are campaigning on removing tuition fees. That shut her up. Fortunately, she won't be able to vote anyway.

Honestly if you're on the fence about canvassing get on it! Everyone feels way more positive and hopeful than they did in 2017.

https://twitter.com/londoncitynight/status/1191852878450888704?s=20

https://twitter.com/aliciajumman/status/1191828164382789632?s=20

https://twitter.com/RedPeppermag/status/1191801149655048192?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really sure I buy the idea that jacob rees mogg coming out with some dogshit "well I'm smart and you paups deserve to die" bullshit is some 4d hyperchess move.

Maybe he's just a disgusting human being and the tories are running with disgusting human beings as their front line in this election because they've literally gone through everyone else since cameron left.

Yeah I think this was a case of the mask slipping rather than being taken off theatrically. He could've just outright said what he thought but he made his point in a roundabout way, and it didn't seem like he actually expected people to join the dots and realise what a reprehensible thing he was saying.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The clp was useless, as was the candidate. We're going after the lib dem, nothing about tackling Vicky Ford, the Tory mp. I was the only looker there, which is a sad state of affairs.

Also, think the Beebs taking the piss, iplayer has House of Cards on again.

E: I'm being unfair, Penny made the right noises, and she doesn't seem like a blairite. We'll see.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

In fact one of the best lines I came up to convince people was saying: "believe me, I would much rather be at home in the warm than out on a drizzly November night knocking on stranger's doors. But this is really important. Things have to change".

Mate that's a great line and good on you, you're helping more people than you know.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Chuka Umana posted:

The Guardian had an article in their live blog earlier today about how Labour is under performing in the polls in London and it gave me bad anxiety.

Your name and your posting reek of lib dem piss, coward

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if I might do better at canvassing if it was a bit less formulaic.

We were told to basically just give them a pitch about jobs and poo poo but like, every politcian says that. If you don't like politicians I don't get how that's going to convince anyone. Plus you sound like a salesman and everyone hates being sold poo poo.

It's the thing I explicitly will not do at work because it annoys the gently caress out of me when people do it to me. Seems weird to build a campaign around it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 6, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Author of "NEVER HOPE, HOPE IS A LIE" writes

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/1191859759961509888

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

We were told to basically just give them a pitch about jobs and poo poo but like, every politcian says that. If you don't like politicians I don't get how that's going to convince anyone. Plus you sound like a salesman and everyone hates being sold poo poo.

We are going on homelessness and austerity, but Chelmsford is a commuter town and full of old, so I doubt that's going to resonate much.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It's the thing I explicitly will not do at work because it annoys the gently caress out of me when people do it to me. Seems weird to build a campaign around it.

It's as formulaic as you make it. Just ask people what's bothering them and what they don't like about their neighbourhood then explain how and why Labour can help with that. Also memorise some local info like hospital wards closing and the amount per pupil cut at the local schools. It sounds cliche, but most of it is just listening to people and paying attention to what they say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Our candidate didn't seem keen on the listening part, she seemed convinced we had to bombard them with the pitch first thing or they'd just yell at us about brexit.

I would have thought that asking people to talk, as you say, about local issues would be a much better approach but I've never done it before so I didn't want to gob off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trickjaw posted:

We are going on homelessness and austerity, but Chelmsford is a commuter town and full of old, so I doubt that's going to resonate much.

I don't think Chelmsford has a very 'visible' homeless problem either. The affluent areas and town centre are pretty insulated from it - compared to larger towns and cities at least (unless it's gotten a shitload worse recently, I've not been there in a couple of years).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Our candidate didn't seem keen on the listening part, she seemed convinced we had to bombard them with the pitch first thing or they'd just yell at us about brexit.

Well.. just don't do that. It's not like the candidate is hovering over your shoulder on each doorstep.

I really think Labour's ground game is a bigger advantage that people think. Simply having an actual person on the doorstep to listen to your problems and explain policy without a media filter is a huge benefit for the Labour that the Tories simply cannot match.

edit: literally nobody even said the word Brexit on the doorstep tonight. I think a lot of people just don't consider it a direct factor in their lives the way they do the NHS and schools.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I said I've never done it before so I felt weird going against the person shadowing me. I just wonder if it's not really a great tactic, certainly I don't think anyones minds were changed.

Instinct tells me that trying to identify with how people feel should work better, and given that I frankly think people are right in their motivation for disliking politicians and the way politics works in the country it seems like it wouldn't be that hard, but it's not like I try to persuade people of things for a living so I don't know.

I'm not even particularly fussed on brexit tbh, like it's bad because the tories are gonna end up sinking the country into the sea because they're that bad at it, but I'm not actually a big EU fan, I just don't think it's really a big problem either, I dunno how that'd work with brexiters but it seems more practical than trying to railroad the conversation to stop them bringing it up.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Necrothatcher posted:

Had an awesome night in South Ruislip tonight (nobody gave a poo poo about the poppy one way or another). Got to see Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar speak and met a whole bunch of cool and friendly people. Dunno how representative the streets we knocked on were, but I'd estimate we hit up about 100-150 houses and had decent chats at about half of them. What surprised me was that literally nobody on the doorstep brought up Brexit. Everyone wanted to talk about the NHS, how much they relied on it and how they wanted to support it. We even convinced a couple of people who "aren't political" that this election matters and they promised to vote Labour (and gave us hugs for being out on such a cold night).

There was one weirdo 17 year old who answered the door and said she was telling her friends to vote Tory, but her Labour-supporting mother looked dead embarrassed and said she was just being rebellious against her family. I said if she's about to go off to uni she'd be stupid to vote Tory at this election when Labour are campaigning on removing tuition fees. That shut her up. Fortunately, she won't be able to vote anyway.

Honestly if you're on the fence about canvassing get on it! Everyone feels way more positive and hopeful than they did in 2017.

https://twitter.com/londoncitynight/status/1191852878450888704?s=20

https://twitter.com/aliciajumman/status/1191828164382789632?s=20

https://twitter.com/RedPeppermag/status/1191801149655048192?s=20

Seriously I've had such a good time campaigning and actually talking to... you know... humans : I've met so many lovely people in momentum and it's been a really liberating experience.

We spend so much time on here sharpening our rhetorical swords on this dead gay forum: what is that worth unless we talk to real people, and actually leverage the many versus few:

Bolton West on Sunday expected 20 momentum people, it got about 120 - they ran out of data sheets to give us. (not all pictured)

gently caress-it - it's time - get involved.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 6, 2019

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

God I just thought the exact same thing. The lib dems do this all the time as well and it just annoys me more than anything else just for being a totally vapid and cynical strategy.

I was unenthused with politics back in the days of Milliband and Brown, were labour also like that back then? I think labour are miles ahead of all the other parties with their positive messaging.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1191857603774693382

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

I don't think Chelmsford has a very 'visible' homeless problem either. The affluent areas and town centre are pretty insulated from it - compared to larger towns and cities at least (unless it's gotten a shitload worse recently, I've not been there in a couple of years).

It has got worse. People dying in doorways, any day you walk along the high street theres like twenty people in sleeping bags begging. But, if you just go to the train station and home again you dont care, I suppose.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Necrothatcher posted:

That shut her up. Fortunately, she won't be able to vote anyway.

She should be able to vote though, even if she votes like an idiot

Good work though, it's going to be a long 5 weeks.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1190821622527201281

Ratjaculation posted:

leak this report you coward!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Their quote includes insinuations with term 'they point their fingers'

Their picture is their leader pointing his finger.

I could make a better design in WordArt

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fine! I caved and joined the Labour Party, Momentum, and the secret Momentum slack.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

ZombieGravy fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 28, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1191822797594603520?s=20

From what I have been able to work out from the comments, the supposed 'figure fiddling' of Labour is that Paul Brand doesn't like the way they have done (an explicitly shown) calculation of cancelled operations. If that isn't it, I have no idea - nor have most of the commentators - what figures Labour are supposed to have fiddled. Naturally, Diane Abbott comes in for some abuse in some of the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
ed: reconsidered like a coward

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2019