Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Is it odd that I don't think these words sound like the way Finn speaks? The body language works well enough.

I guess this also mostly confirms that Rose will get the Jar Jar treatment. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Darth TNT posted:

Is it odd that I don't think these words sound like the way Finn speaks? The body language works well enough.

It's the way every character in a Star Wars novel speaks

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

SMG is not a stranger to fabricating stories about TFA having extensive re-shoots. Just so you know.

DisneyLucasfilm has actively concealed and fabricated making-of information as part of their Star Wars branding. They’re seemingly trying to eliminate speculation about ‘director’s cuts’.

Recall how Gareth Edwards claimed the footage used in the Rogue One trailers was just randomly shot for fun. We now know those scenes were reshot by Tony Gilroy (these edits are also why the pacing of the first act is janky, and the marketplace gunfight is cut like poo poo).

In any case, you’re mainly quibbling over how significant these reshoots and such were. Like, “they only spent a week or three removing the film’s protagonist (and redoing every scene with Lupita Nyongo, removing the Ben Solo twist, etc.)” - repeating the company line that Abrams did all this because he was just such a perfectionist or something.

But the proof is in the pudding, as they say. You can say they didn’t really change anything in TLJ, but there’s Rey getting stabbed in the spine. Onscreen. And if Rey was originally stabbed at that point in the narrative, what are we to make of the entire ending where she’s all gleefully blowing up fighters? What necessitated the extremely clumsy bit where Hux exposits that “she took Snoke’s escape craft”?

“Softening Holdo’s characterization” amounted to changing the entire rebel chase narrative - i.e. the central narrative of the film - and this has a profound effect on the film’s protagonist, Poe. These are extremely drastic changes, not just fine-tuning.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If Rose has to die so that Poe / Finn can be so be it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is why there’s a random shot of Rey being horribly stabbed in the spine during the red room fight. The scene was obviously totally reconfigured late in production. (Maybe it was deemed too violent? Who knows?) But instead of shooting new footage of Rey not being stabbed, they just digitally erased the knife sticking out of her back. That’s cheaper and easier.

This also makes me wonder about what I think is the most ridiculous scene in the film

finn and rose are about to be executed. they're surrounded by a thousand stormtroopers.

holdo kamikazes the ship and splits it in half

the very next shot: the entire room is on fire, you can see the bodies of, like, two stormtroopers, but the other thousand seemed to have vanished?...

They run through the room and it's completely empty. There's nobody there!! Where did the thousands of people go

This is so jarring and weird to me that i always thought it must have been reshot, or re-edited into an entirely new sequence. Wouldn't be surprised if the burning room was intended to be another area completely.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Rose was just all horned up after watching all her friends about to be murdered by a giant laser

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Polo-Rican, that scene starts with Rose dragging Finn's unconscious body. They've moved away from the part of the ship that has collapsed, assumedly taking most of the troops with it. Later when more of it collapses, Phasma falls down into the fire as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

What is this from?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Polo-Rican posted:

This is so jarring and weird to me that i always thought it must have been reshot, or re-edited into an entirely new sequence. Wouldn't be surprised if the burning room was intended to be another area completely.

It's been confirmed that FN was originally captured by a bunch of those background Stormtroopers at the end of the Phasma swordfight scene. FN convinces the Stormtroopers to rise up against Phasma, so she kills them and continues the duel.

Since that part was changed, it's likely that they decided to digitally erase the Stormtroopers and/or recut the scene so that they don't appear at all.

Johnson had filmed multiple scenes in which the Stormtroopers are humanized, but they were all cut.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 5, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

It's been confirmed that FN was originally captured by a bunch of those background Stormtroopers at the end of the Phasma swordfight scene. FN convinces the Stormtroopers to rise up against Phasma, so she kills them and continues the duel.

Since that part was changed, it's likely that they decided to digitally erase the Stormtroopers and/or recut the scene so that they don't appear at all.

Johnson had filmed multiple scenes in which the Stormtroopers are humanized, but they were all cut.

Can you source this stuff with links?

Not doubting you, just genuinely want to see where youre getting this information when you say "confirmed". Super curious as to what the hell is going on with these changes.

Edit: Ive seen the deleted scene youre speaking of but never heard anything about cut scenes humanizing Strom Troopers

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 5, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
While we're (sorta kinda) on the topic, have you considered doing any more work on that TFA re-edit, or is that mostly a done project?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

While we're (sorta kinda) on the topic, have you considered doing any more work on that TFA re-edit, or is that mostly a done project?

Yeah, I should say I'm sorry about that.

Things were going really well, but then the janky editing software I was using poo poo the bed. I ended up having to redo the part where Rey and FN meet eachother like three times because of corrupted saves - and it just turned into a chore, y'know? Like, pretty much all the work was done, so now it's a matter of going through the motions of reconstructing what was already completed. Maybe it'll happen eventually.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Super curious as to what the hell is going on with these changes.

The information's all over the place, but I'm interpreting it based on my own examination of the editing in the films, and how those choices impact the narrative.

Like, the basic question: why is Phasma back in the movie at all?

The answer is apparently that, in earlier versions of the film, FN's defection has caused the enslaved Stormtroopers to become increasingly disobedient. He's triggered a slave revolt, and Phasma is pissed because it's undermining her life's work. This would be a progression from the previous film, where FN was just in it to kill the baddies. Now he would be fighting Phasma to emancipate the Stormtroopers, as part of a prequel-style critique of the "good versus evil" thing.

This is why, for example, they cut the scene where Tom Hardy cameos as a friendly Stormtrooper.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 5, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

clown shoes posted:

Polo-Rican, that scene starts with Rose dragging Finn's unconscious body. They've moved away from the part of the ship that has collapsed, assumedly taking most of the troops with it. Later when more of it collapses, Phasma falls down into the fire as well.

You're right that it starts with rose dragging Finn, but that still doesn't fix the awkwardness of having everyone dead — hundreds of soldiers in thick armor! — except finn, rose, and phasma, who are 100% completely uninjured.

The film's editing also makes this less clear. It would make more sense if the dragging scene faded in slowly from black, implying the passage of time... or you could have the scene start in first-person, out of focus, with an ear-ringing sound, implying that Finn has been unconscious for a while... but instead, it's an instant smash cut from the kamikaze scene, which makes it feel like it's happening immediately afterwards.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 5, 2019

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Timby posted:

I think they did maybe a week of re-shoots, adding the broom kid and softening Holdo's characterization, at I think Kennedy's request because she felt that Holdo was too unsympathetic.

I'm amazed that she could be more unsympathetic.

The offhand comment Poe makes about her being the leader of some important battle is so clearly supposed to indicate that she is indeed competent, but falls so flat to anyone who has ever worked under someone who got credit for something they unintentionally tried so hard to screw up and still succeeded. My issue with a lot of Rian's writing is it feels so, to steal RLMs parlance, highschool. It feels how someone thinks the world should work as opposed to how it is.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not the neckrub what is this a loving webcomic?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just wait until rey starts smoothing her skirts and tugging her braids

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Uncle Wemus posted:

Not the neckrub what is this a loving webcomic?

drat was going to point that out. I think it’s an anime thing no?

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Why do you keep doing this?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arkannoyed posted:

Why do you keep doing this?

It's his name. FN-2187. Like C3PO is "Threepio's" name.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

sassassin posted:

It's his name. FN-2187. Like C3PO is "Threepio's" name.

Pretty hosed up to deadname an escaped slave

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

kidkissinger posted:

Luke does it in RotJ.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

YaketySass posted:

Luke does it in RotJ.

As TLJ showed us, Luke is an incredible dipshit and also a moron

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kidkissinger posted:

That's how it's spelt. Like the movie 'RWD' is pronounced 'Rewind', but nonethless spelt 'RWD'.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Poe should’ve given Finn his nickname, but then never use it again and call him nothing but variations of the nickname like Stiles does in Teen Wolf.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finn x Poe fanfic looking good

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darth TNT posted:

I guess this also mostly confirms that Rose will get the Jar Jar treatment. :shrug:
She’s the smallest head on the new movie poster so I expect she will not be around much

I think the leaks have her staying back at the Resistance base while everyone else goes off and does stuff

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That's how it's spelt. Like the movie 'RWD' is pronounced 'Rewind', but nonethless spelt 'RWD'.

Like, I know making poo poo up as long as it isn't directly contradicted by something in the films themselves is your thing, but do credits count?

Or would you need him actually spelling it on screen, in character, "My name is spelled F-I-N-N!" to get you to stop?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

Like, I know making poo poo up as long as it isn't directly contradicted by something in the films themselves is your thing, but do credits count?

Or would you need him actually spelling it on screen, in character, "My name is spelled F-I-N-N!" to get you to stop?

If you'd like to go down that road, then your screenshot shows there are two Chewbaccas: Chewbacca and Chewbacca Double.

Twobaccas.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
if you're going down that road you should be writing all the names in aurebesh

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I may accept that his first name is spelt "Finn" if we also accept that his last name is spelt "Toowonaitseven".

Clipperton posted:

if you're going down that road you should be writing all the names in aurebesh

I'm writing in a loose of approximation of the (canonical!) language "Star Wars 76", which bears some similarities to Aurebesh, but more closely resembles English.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I may accept that his first name is spelt "Finn" if we also accept that his last name is spelt "Toowonaitseven"

Though the marketing implies that FN and Poe are friends, as depicted on screen Poe is more like a father to FN, giving him his name and inducting him into warrior culture, so FN's real last name is "Dameron".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
These are my sons, Power and Tractor Beam

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

I may accept that his first name is spelt "Finn" if we also accept that his last name is spelt "Toowonaitseven".

"threepio" and "artoo" are canonical character names so not sure why this would be a sticking point

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If you'd like to go down that road, then your screenshot shows there are two Chewbaccas: Chewbacca and Chewbacca Double.

Twobaccas.

Chewbacca Double is like Bigger Luke but twice as wide

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pospysyl posted:

Though the marketing implies that FN and Poe are friends, as depicted on screen Poe is more like a father to FN, giving him his name and inducting him into warrior culture, so FN's real last name is "Dameron".

His character (in TFA at least) makes a lot more sense if you picture him being in his early teens instead of his early 20s.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm seein' double...

FOUR chewbaccas!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clipperton posted:

"threepio" and "artoo" are canonical character names so not sure why this would be a sticking point

Canon isn't real.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's fitting that Rose would be written into a minor role because Nobody Can gently caress in these movies. It's the true thesis of the ST films. Embrace VolCel, embrace the Force.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
ROS can be saved if rey fucks at least once on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It's fitting that Rose would be written into a minor role because Nobody Can gently caress in these movies. It's the true thesis of the ST films. Embrace VolCel, embrace the Force.

The one guy who did literally burned in a lake of fire. And the girl died in child birth. Don’t do it!