Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Iron Rose posted:

Lenovo Legion Y740 15

I'm up north as well and was considering the Y740, but the macro keys ruin it for me. I expect that you can get it easily under 2K as Black Friday rolls around if your Aorus can squeak for a few more days (they run 25% Legion codes through the year, and I expect something comparable for BF.) If you have student status, you should be able to shave off a bit more with ID.me discount they have.

I've pretty much settled on the Nightsky RX15 (Clevo PB51RF-G) I mentioned a few posts back. There's an on-going student promotion for 20% until 15 Nov. If you configure it like this:

15.6-inch (39.6cm); 144Hz; FHD 1920x1080; Matte; IPS; 9ms
Titanium Black Aluminum Alloy (AL-5052) case
Intel Core i7-9750H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (not Max-Q)
1TB SSHD SATA3
16GB RAM x1, DDR4; 2666Hz

total comes to 1941.60 CAD after discount. Not great, but ditch the SSHD and get Windows 10 Education for free if you're a student and you bring it down to 1720.80 before S&H and taxes, which seems fair.

Criticisms: mediocre battery life, thick, and the bottom needs to breathe, but I've been carrying a 5 lb Lenovo Y580 Ideapad for the past seven years, so I can put up with the bulk.

I do wish Eluktronics was here though - newegg.ca doesn't have the MAG-15 and what it has seems pretty marked up.

M. Propagandalf fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh yeah that looks like a perfectly good deal for a regular XPS 13

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Thanks for the follow-up! I'm in desperate need of a machine to manage my homelab and run a few VMs. Just pulled the trigger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Surface Pro X reviews are in and to the surprise of exactly no one, Windows on ARM is a buggy shitshow with poor app compatibility.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I hope MS gets their poo poo together before the Neo comes out, because I'd hate for that to be a disappointment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the Neo is running Intel, so I wouldn't worry as much about that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

Surface Pro X reviews are in and to the surprise of exactly no one, Windows on ARM is a buggy shitshow with poor app compatibility.

The Verge posted:

The entire reason for the Pro X to exist is as a platform to show off how Windows could run on an ARM processor — specifically one co-developed between Microsoft and Qualcomm. If you want to participate in that grand experiment, it will cost you: the base spec with a keyboard costs $1,138.99 while the model I’m testing runs $1,768.99.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/5/20948092/microsoft-surface-pro-x-review-arm-windows-10-apps-features-specs-price

<quake 3 arena pain noise>

I am definitely more appreciative of the $1500 that I paid for the bundle from Costco, now. (i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB, came with cover and pen. I think that's the sweet spot, 512GB feels a bit overkill if you have a mothership computer at home.)

Also, casual offhand note because I just remembered it: I definitely appreciate the Pro 7's having a proper USB-A port, I have filled it with a Logitech wireless mouse dongle, something I would not be able to do on the Pro X.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 5, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think this quote is even more damning.

quote:

It’s a computer built for a world that doesn’t exist — and I don’t know if I can add “yet” to the end of that sentence.

What it really boils down to is if you want a thinner long lasting ultra portable, you go with either an iPad or Chromebook since those ecosystems aren't tired to decades of x86 software.

People wanting to buy a Windows computer want a full Windows computer and the compromises you have to make to run Windows on ARM precludes it from being a full Windows computer, so there isn't much point.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
ok ok guys listen

imagine an android tablet with a windows emulator, except it can't run android

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ok ok guys listen

Windows RT flashbacks. :gonk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's exactly the vibes I'm getting here.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Any standouts so far from the Project Athena Ice Lake models that have been announced?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Broke: Project Athena rebranding Ultrabook and Centrino marketing lines from a decade before.
Woke: Honeycomb Glacier

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What if Apple's touchbar but bigger?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except it ain't. From the thing I saw, it's just a second display. A shorter display with the scaling cranked up to actually be usable, but you can drag any app down to the second screen, and then to the left or right to snap it in place, just like you can with any other program in Windows.

It doesn't need to be specially coded for, it doesn't replace your function buttons, it raises the monitor up in such a way to be better for your back, and opens up the option to hide cooling vents under the second screen? If I were going to replace the Dell Precision laptop I use as my CAD machine presently with another one, I would want something like Honeycomb Glacier as a replacement. (But I'm not, I'm building a desktop and socking my CAD environment into a VM.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeyAG-CMKCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7_lLBCsYaI

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 6, 2019

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ok ok guys listen

Windows RT flashbacks. :gonk:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kung fu jive posted:

Rumors say first half of 2020 for the 7nm GPUs so they’re just around the corner too.

Apparently TSMC's 7nm process (they mfg for Nvidia probably, AMD for sure) is equivalent to Intel's 10nm process

I had not heard that until recently, can't back it up, but something to keep in mind

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

lmao what a strange concept especially how the battery life is also supposely bad as well.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Apparently TSMC's 7nm process (they mfg for Nvidia probably, AMD for sure) is equivalent to Intel's 10nm process

I had not heard that until recently, can't back it up, but something to keep in mind

Next year’s Nvidia chips are mostly going to be Samsung 7nm. Rumors are that they wanted to switch with Turing but the delays forced them back to TSMC.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190702000692

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
After buying a 2018 iPad last year, then upgrading to an iPad air a few months ago, I had pretty much stopped using my laptop (an Asus something-or-other ultraportable with a core m3 that's a few years old at this point) as a portable device and had relegated it to coffee table duty for some light DAW work with Reaper.

A few hours ago I spilled a glass of water on said laptop and I'm pretty sure it is permanently dead. I'm now in the market for a new laptop. Yay.

Basically I need something that will live on my coffee table (battery life doesn't matter at all, it'll be plugged in 100% of the time), has a somewhat recent quad (or more) core i5 or i7 for CPU-intensive amp simulations (my amp also died a few days ago, bad luck this week), at least 8gb of ram, at least one thunderbolt 3 port, and a 1080p screen. I do not particularly care about screen size, hard drive space or type, graphics, etc. The only thing I'll be using it for is music production and reading SA on my couch.

Budget's $500-1000, but I'd really like to spend as little money as possible given the extremely narrow use case. I priced out an Intel NUC with the specs I want and the cheapest 1080p portable monitor I could find and it came out around $800 (don't want a real monitor, 90% of the time this computer will function more or less as a guitar amplifier). I'm hesitant to spend more than that, but I'd be willing to go up a bit for something thin with excellent battery life that I could take on trips/to conferences instead of my iPad.

A macbook air probably doesn't have enough CPU horsepower and a macbook pro seems like overkill for this, so I think I'm stuck with windows. Any suggestions?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Refurbed xps 13 from Dell direct or similar from Lenovo is my rec

https://m.dell.com/h5/m/r/outlet.us...tHSNyXIAPY4SFOw

I'm on mobile, hope that worked

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Quixzlizx posted:

Any standouts so far from the Project Athena Ice Lake models that have been announced?

If you can get past the soldered everything, the new XPS 13 2:1 is reviewing better than the traditional XPS 13 model.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bull3964 posted:

If you can get past the soldered everything, the new XPS 13 2:1 is reviewing better than the traditional XPS 13 model.

Not going to lie I do find myself wishing that my XPS 13 was two in one pretty frequently. only in the form factor since not in the way that they traditionally had used the lower power processor

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Broke: Project Athena rebranding Ultrabook and Centrino marketing lines from a decade before.
Woke: Honeycomb Glacier
Toshiba's Libretto notebooks were like concept cars for me, from the originals to the W105. The NEO reveal was amazing, but I'd be happy with others taking Intel's Honeycomb Glacier as a guide.

I look forward to a laptop I'll never feel I need to hook up to a pair of monitors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Statutory Ape posted:

Not going to lie I do find myself wishing that my XPS 13 was two in one pretty frequently. only in the form factor since not in the way that they traditionally had used the lower power processor

Yeah, and now that it isn't performance compromised, there's a shitton to love about it.

It benchmarks higher than the normal XPS13 (unless you get the new 6 core models, but they throttle pretty quickly)
It has Iris Pro graphics so it can game a little bit better than the normal XPS13
It has a 16:10 screen which is a ton more useful

It's just the soldered drive that really gets people (i'm not going to count the soldered ram since you have to get soldered ram if you are going LPDDR).

I must admit, it even bothers me and one of the things I've been using as a negative against it. Then again, I'm typing this on a Surface Pro which isn't user serviceable in any way shape or form and I've never even given it a second thought so it seems a bit hypocritical of me.

I've been kicking around the idea of refreshing my XPS15 9550 and Surface Pro (2017) combo with a MAG-15/XPS13 2:1 combo. But that also seems like silly overkill since my surface pro spends most of the time docked. I don't NEED an ultraportable windows machine, I just like the idea of it.

My Pixelbook still sees the vast majority of my daily non-work computing and it works just as well today (better even) than when I got it two years ago. I really have no compelling need to upgrade any of my computing other than "i want it".

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The reviews do seem pretty great so far. I guess the main competition would be the Spectre x360.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A friend is looking for a first gaming laptop for her 10 year old's xmas present. She has a really tight budget and is trying hard not to go over $600 (but I think she's starting to realize that she may have to go up to like $700 for something decent). I haven't bought a laptop in years, much less shopped for a budget gaming laptop.

In the Dell Black Friday ad posted on the last page, I found this Dell G5 15 for $650 (if she can snag the BF deal). It has a 9th gen i5, a GTX 1650, 8GB of RAM, 128GB NVMe, and 1TB HDD. That seems pretty solid for $650, right?

The only other one I found that appears to be in the same league is this MSI GL65. Pretty much same specs as the Dell except 512GB NVMe and no spinning disk. $700 on Newegg is the cheapest I'm seeing it and I'm not finding any Black Friday deals for it but I may just be bad at bargain hunting.

My inclination is to suggest she try hard for the Dell BF deal and if it sells out before she gets it, fall back to the MSI.

Is there anything that I'm overlooking or failing to take into consideration. Is there another budget 15" gaming laptop (or manufacturer) that I should be looking at? Should I be avoiding either of the above manufacturers for some reason? Are there any other BF deals that I've missed that could put a better laptop into the budget range?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lawen posted:

In the Dell Black Friday ad posted on the last page, I found this Dell G5 15 for $650 (if she can snag the BF deal). It has a 9th gen i5, a GTX 1650, 8GB of RAM, 128GB NVMe, and 1TB HDD. That seems pretty solid for $650, right?

The Dell G series has, to this point, proven itself to be a pretty good line in terms of price/performance. I am personally using a 7577, what they were calling it just before the G rebrand, and if I had to buy it again, I would.

Three gripes that immediately sprang to mind, based on my experience with the 7577:

* A 128 GB SSD is positively liliputian. Yeah, it's got the 1 TB hard drive, but ugh, spinners in this day and age. For a 10 year old's computer, no less. I'm just counting the days until a drop kills the drive. Some kind of SSD upgrade for the sheer durability of flash is in order.
* I worry about 8 GB of RAM, but at least it's dual-channel, but I am known to be overkill on RAM, loading mine up with 32 GB when 16GB probably would suffice.
* The stock paste was completely rotten. Get a tube of Hydronaut or some other low-pump-out paste and give the heatsink a once-over before its out of your hands. Hopefully they've made it so you have to disassemble it less-to-death than my 7577.

Then again, it's a 10 year old, aside from the first point, are they really going to notice and/or understand? :shrug:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, that's helpful. I hadn't thought about spinning metal being especially susceptible to drop damage but it's a really good point with a kid that age. Mainly, I'm pleased that that Dell line isn't garbage and safe to recommend.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I'd like to get a basic 2-in-1 to mostly use for Bluebeam Revu PDF markup tasks and other office productivity tasks. I saw this deal and am thinking I could pick up extra ram and a larger nvme drive around Black Friday to install in it. Is there anything that might be a red flag on it otherwise?

https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-14-5000-series-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-5---1080p.product.100488499.html

The latest XPS 13 2-in-1 would be nice, but are quite a bit more expensive and not sure would be any better at what I'm looking to use it for.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lawen posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. I hadn't thought about spinning metal being especially susceptible to drop damage but it's a really good point with a kid that age. Mainly, I'm pleased that that Dell line isn't garbage and safe to recommend.

I thought about it some more, the 7577 is kind of a thicc bih, it might be too heavy for a ten year old.

Just another thought that popped up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'd go so far as to say that a ten year old shouldn't have a computer, much less a gaming laptop in the first place. Give him a 3DS for long car trips and some books.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

X250 screen replacement, easy, you can do it in about 3 minutes. Pop off the bezel, remove the screen, put the new one in....

Keyboard? hahaha

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Are there any other kind of websites similar to this Notebookcheck tool?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd go so far as to say that a ten year old shouldn't have a computer, much less a gaming laptop in the first place. Give him a 3DS for long car trips and some books.

I got my first hand-me-down computer at an earlier age than that, and it inspired a love of technology that shaped the course of my life for the better. Don't underestimate children.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Same. I got a Celeron 300-A based computer when I was about that age, and it was formative.

Now allowing your 10 year old unfettered, unmonitored access to the internet...that's another question.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DrDork posted:

Now allowing your 10 year old unfettered, unmonitored access to the internet...that's another question.

this is really the biggest concern here. make sure your friend is using some form of monitoring or parental control software on the device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I had a computer pretty early, but I also didn't have the internet until later and even when I did it was limited because I would have to tie up the phone.

Honestly, out of all the devices (phone, tablet, game console) a full computer is probably the most benign when it comes to kid use, but it really comes down to what they're getting into on the internet.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hi I want a laptop to play wow classic on at work. Someone told me something something G15 but that sounds like a corporate jet. I would appreciate any suggestions, I am a very simple boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

? People , including kids , use computers for different things. Is this rec tongue in cheek or do you work for toys r us