Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ey, I'm hoping to use a grooky on my sword team along with scorbunny. If I can send any of you shield guys a version exclusive can you breed me a green boi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It says "no past starterS" they're allowed to have one

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'd like to request a Larvitar egg from a Shield bro too please.

Assuming Larvitar isn't super late or post-game.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Toxapex and clefable are 100% getting banned from Smogon ou

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I am Reverend posted:

Toxapex and clefable are 100% getting banned from Smogon ou

i don't know anything about comp pokemon but i'm glad that clefable is apparently a shitwrecker

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i haven't kept up with singles, why's clefable gonna be the poo poo now?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
It has the best typing in the game and two top five abilities and it learns every move.

It struggled to keep up with megas and z moves but those are gone now, as well as every viable steel type other than ferrothorn (which it beats anyway), bisharp, and excadrill.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 5, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

poo poo, G-Darmanitan is Sword exclusive... I was thinking of getting Shield but I want all my Ice-type buddies with me :( That being said there are a fuckton of other Ice-types to use, but I'm scared G-Darmanitan will be the only actually good one, assuming they keep the same stats for it.

You are actually excited about ice Darmanitan.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Brother Entropy posted:

Versatile movepool and the stats to back it up. Way better than many other choices in its class.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Darmanitan was always good.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What the heck I had no idea Clefable had such good stats.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ka0 posted:

what, you aren't?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

It's funny because Charizard will be milked by Gamefreak until the end of the universe.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Ice Darmanitan is goofy as hell and I'm slightly tempted to use him myself, not gonna lie

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Toxapex and Clefable are really bulky pokemon with 50% healing moves. They are both immune to Toxic, eliminating the most consistent way to wear them down. Clefable is immune to stealth rocks and spikes while Toxapex has Regenerator to heal on switches easily.

This means the only consistent way to take them down is a Pokemon that can do 60-70% to them and force the opponent into situations where they have to keep Clefable/Toxapex out. This is a very small subset of Pokemon when you remove every legendary. Like here's the list of Toxapex checks in current OU:

- Tapu Lele
- Lati@s and their mega evos
- Mega Gallade
- Mega Medicham
- Mega Alakazam
- Tapu Koko
- Zapdos
- Landorus-T
- Garchomp
- Gliscor

Literally every one of these pokemon got removed from Gen 8. Non-mega Gallade and Medicham are still in, but they are nowhere near as good without their Megas. Also keep in mind that because of Scald, all physical attackers and especially ground types kind of suck at dealing with Toxapex anyways. Like, seriously suck. Dugtrio actually takes more from 0 defense Toxapex than uninvested Toxapex's Scald does back, neither will ever ohko, and Dugtrio can't 2hko if it gets burned.

Clefable does a similar thing where you can't wear it down at all, they always invest extremely heavily in bulk, and if you can't consistently 2hko it then it will just never die. Clefable is uniquely obnoxious in this regard because like Toxapex's Scald shutting down physical attackers that could be a solid 2hko on it, Clefable has Calm Mind so special attackers need to do around 75% in 1 hit to it consistently or else it usually goes like first hit 60%, leftovers heal to 46% left and calm mind, second hit does 40% taking it down to 6%, Clefable Softboils, ends turn with leftovers at 62% and with a CM boost and you can no longer touch it.

Also I'll throw in my own 2 cents and say be aware of Ferrothorn + Toxapex as a defensive core. Toxapex resists fighting and fire, Ferrothorn resists psychic and electric and is neutral to ground (though almost all ground attackers are phys and Ferrothorn has insane phys def, also as I pointed out ground types actually aren't that good at checking Toxapex).

E: OU obviously has to have a banlist anyways and I'll be glad if they finally ban Toxapex because it's been incredibly lovely for OU since its inception. Aegislash is in Sword/Shield and there is no way Aegislash should be allowed in any OU, both because of power level and creating absolutely miserable RPS situations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

Ice Darmanitan is goofy as hell and I'm slightly tempted to use him myself, not gonna lie

Does it still have sheer force

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I actually wonder if Ice Darmanitan will have the same Zen Mode gimmick that regular Darmanitan could have.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Actually how is comp going to work now? Is it going to follow along with the Swoshi roster and mechanics?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Actually how is comp going to work now? Is it going to follow along with the Swoshi roster and mechanics?

I think they might follow two separate meta games. A Sword and Shield one with everyone available in these games (important for VGC), and a National dex one with everyone in it (important for Showdown)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

VGC will do VGC things.

Smogon singles always follow the latest gen - back before pokebank was enabled in past gens you were only able to use the mons you could legally get at the time, even if we knew we'd get access to the rest in a few months. As soon as things are legally available on cart they're enabled for smogon singles, such as when new mythicals or hidden abilities become available (again, even if they were datamined previously).

Past gen metagames are still available to play and someone here actually wrote up a really interesting history on one of the cross-generation tournament series that gets ran. It's sorta cool because you get people who specialize in stuff like Gen 4 UU who you'd never hear about otherwise but who know their preferred metagame inside and out.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Toxapex and Clefable are really bulky pokemon with 50% healing moves. They are both immune to Toxic, eliminating the most consistent way to wear them down. Clefable is immune to stealth rocks and spikes while Toxapex has Regenerator to heal on switches easily.

This means the only consistent way to take them down is a Pokemon that can do 60-70% to them and force the opponent into situations where they have to keep Clefable/Toxapex out. This is a very small subset of Pokemon when you remove every legendary. Like here's the list of Toxapex checks in current OU:

- Tapu Lele
- Mega Gallade
- Mega Medicham
- Mega Alakazam
- Tapu Koko
- Zapdos
- Landorus-T
- Garchomp
- Gliscor

Literally every one of these pokemon got removed from Gen 8. Non-mega Gallade and Medicham are still in, but they are nowhere near as good without their Megas. Also keep in mind that because of Scald, all physical attackers and especially ground types kind of suck at dealing with Toxapex anyways. Like, seriously suck. Dugtrio actually takes more from 0 defense Toxapex than uninvested Toxapex's Scald does back, neither will ever ohko, and Dugtrio can't 2hko if it gets burned.

Clefable does a similar thing where you can't wear it down at all, they always invest extremely heavily in bulk, and if you can't consistently 2hko it then it will just never die. Clefable is uniquely obnoxious in this regard because like Toxapex's Scald shutting down physical attackers that could be a solid 2hko on it, Clefable has Calm Mind so special attackers need to do around 75% in 1 hit to it consistently or else it usually goes like first hit 60%, leftovers heal to 46% left and calm mind, second hit does 40% taking it down to 6%, Clefable Softboils, ends turn with leftovers at 62% and with a CM boost and you can no longer touch it.

Also I'll throw in my own 2 cents and say be aware of Ferrothorn + Toxapex as a defensive core. Toxapex resists fighting and fire, Ferrothorn resists psychic and electric and is neutral to ground (though almost all ground attackers are phys and Ferrothorn has insane phys def, also as I pointed out ground types actually aren't that good at checking Toxapex).

E: OU obviously has to have a banlist anyways and I'll be glad if they finally ban Toxapex because it's been incredibly lovely for OU since its inception. Aegislash is in Sword/Shield and there is no way Aegislash should be allowed in any OU, both because of power level and creating absolutely miserable RPS situations.

Clef and Toxapex also both have means of nullifying set-up, though Unaware Clef can't heal as reliably. That being said, in Gen 7 OU Toxapex did have a number of very common checks that made it frustrating, but not impossible to deal with. Gen 8's going to have, what, Excadrill from the old guard and from the new guard, possibly the electric fossils, Galarian Confagrigus, Galarian Rapidash, that Electric-Poison guy (the most likely check)?

As for Clef, here's hoping Duraldon has Mold Breaker as a hidden ability, I guess.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 5, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Way back many years ago I ran into a simple, yet annoying stall-Clefable. It had protect/toxic/wish for set up and moonblast for stab. It was so simple and effective, the only thing I had to counter it was a lucario with drat flash cannon. But that's what I get for not packing any poison types.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So did Purugly just really piss off someone? Because they've only been catchable in Pearl, the Dream World, and ORAS.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ultima66 posted:

- Tapu Lele
- Mega Gallade
- Mega Medicham
- Mega Alakazam
- Tapu Koko
- Zapdos
- Landorus-T
- Garchomp
- Gliscor

As someone with no interest in competitive but an extreme love of Toxapex, I'm so happy to hear my boy is/was apparently such a terror. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:perfect:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is this out or is everybody just already metagaming trades.

Because for either i am :getin:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
never mind

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's stopping my venusaur from just crossing the Chunnel if people are coming all the way from Kanto with mons??

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZeusCannon posted:

Is this out or is everybody just already metagaming trades.

Because for either i am :getin:

its out, restart steam

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Countblanc posted:

its out, restart steam

Say what now?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's stopping my venusaur from just crossing the Chunnel if people are coming all the way from Kanto with mons??

It's too fat to fit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Galar has a border wall lined with Landorus’

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My head canon is that actually Charizard got banned too but the Galar champion pulled some strings to allow himself to have one despite this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Countblanc posted:

its out, restart steam

:prepop:

you had me for half a second there

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mikemil828 posted:

My head canon is that actually Charizard got banned too but the Galar champion pulled some strings to allow himself to have one despite this.
the (sub?)plot of galar is that pokemon battles are a monetized sport so it makes sense that they'd allow the most popular one in

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Brother Entropy posted:

You already got the competitive answer, so I'll give you the non competitive one. Pokes like Clefable, Toxapex, Aegislash and other walls that are resistant to Toxic create super boring 80 turns stall games where no matter what the game tells you at the end of it you are both losers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

You already got the competitive answer, so I'll give you the non competitive one. Pokes like Clefable, Toxapex, Aegislash and other walls that are resistant to Toxic create super boring 80 turns stall games where no matter what the game tells you at the end of it you are both losers.

singles life sounds very depressing, yall should try vgc sometime

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

VGC isn't gonna be any much better, even with the less stall.
That's the only thing I am looking forward this generation, the absolute mess that will be the exact same teams in VGC over and over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mikemil828 posted:

Then why didn't he pick something actually good without a gimmick? He could have even chosen an actual dragon as a partner instead of a winged lizard.