Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

At about 1:03:50 in Episode 12 of the podcast, someone's cat meows repeatedly.

I would like to make it known that this is exactly the kind of content I want more of, please give me more meowing cattes. :catte:

e; Well I did a snipe.

67 is two short of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/LewieP/status/1191681825111990273?s=20

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Their fears are our hopes.

E: “they point their fingers and say “nationalised”

EE:

Ms Adequate posted:

I would like to make it known that this is exactly the kind of content I want more of, please give me more meowing cattes. :catte:

e; Well I did a snipe.

67 is two short of nice.

The catte belongs to Videogames and is one of three!

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 6, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Door knocking successfully needs people absolutely at ease in a social situation and good at reading social cues. Not to say that the volunteers that go on script aren't useful, but minds only change on the doorstep with actual compelling conversation, which is also going to mean off the cuff and ignoring whatever shite you've been told to talk about when people answer the door.

I was sent out into a bunch of homes for old folks once and the script was about the local college closure and tuition fees. FFS. One resident in 20 houses was one actually upset about the college because he went to night classes, rest were lonely and didn't give a poo poo. I was confident I got out of there with more votes than I would have, just from listening to concerns, explaining ACTUAL policy/how awesome Labour really are where relevant or making obvious notes of their concerns if I wasn't sure (and making sure someone got in touch with them to answer if it wasn't me).

I've thoroughly enjoyed all my doorknocking time but it's certainly not for everyone and is loving depressing if the scripted message isn't landing/welcome for the volunteers.

For the folks that do find that sort of response wearing/stressful but you still like to get out there, for adversarial door answers I just suggest very quickly apologising for intruding upon their time and don't feel bad about doing so. For every "fail" you think you get, you'll remind a whole bunch to get out the vote.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The catte belongs to Videogames and is one of three!

Definitely my fave mod now :allears:

Also fake e; ^^^ Yeah even if I was able to overcome my anxiety and knock on doors I'd be really bad at it, I'm just... an awkward goony weirdo. I'd probably get in shouting matches.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

it's not like I try to persuade people of things for a living so I don't know.

In canvassing the top priority is to leave a favourable impression, because it rubs off on the party. You're not so likely to do that if you bombard people with facts.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Definitely my fave mod now :allears:

Also fake e; ^^^ Yeah even if I was able to overcome my anxiety and knock on doors I'd be really bad at it, I'm just... an awkward goony weirdo. I'd probably get in shouting matches.

The great thing about Labour/Momentum's campaign vehicle is there's poo poo loads of other stuff you can do. Twitter mine, fact check, send texts out to people, phone people if you're more at ease on the phone than face to face, or just pure data entry/tech support/computer touching.

We can ALL get Corbs into number 10!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bundy posted:

The great thing about Labour/Momentum's campaign vehicle is there's poo poo loads of other stuff you can do. Twitter mine, fact check, send texts out to people, phone people if you're more at ease on the phone than face to face, or just pure data entry/tech support/computer touching.

We can ALL get Corbs into number 10!

My anxiety is bad enough that posting on SA is something I often can't manage, let alone interacting with human beings of any description, but I am trying to summon enough strength to see about data entry stuff!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Canvassing persons:
is anyone still using paper based rather than Doorstep App? One of our branches wants to go canvassing next week but there's no one with the right access to issue whatever it is the Doorstep App needs. Just thought I'd ask!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

In canvassing the top priority is to leave a favourable impression, because it rubs off on the party. You're not so likely to do that if you bombard people with facts.

I mean, that I can probably do, I have to get on well with people at work, but I didn't really get any training so it feels kinda like I'm supposed to be repping the party/my candidate without really knowing why I'm there.

If it's just seeming like a decent sort interested in what people have to say I can probably do that quite well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Gerry Adams and Donald Trump at a Sinn Fein fundraiser 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ZPcPHJAno

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-attended-sinn-f-in-fundraiser-months-before-ira-attacked-london-a6767601.html

quote:

Donald Trump attended Sinn Féin fundraiser months before IRA attacked London
During his speech, Gerry Adams joked about Sinn Féin playing the 'Trump card'

Donald Trump has been caught in another controversy after footage emerged of him attending a Sinn Féin fundraising dinner in New York in November 1995.

The Republican frontrunner can be seen shaking hands with Gerry Adams in the Essex House hotel in Manhattan, months before the Provisional IRA broke its ceasefire by bombing London's Canary Wharf.

During his speech, Gerry Adams jokes about Sinn Féin playing the "Trump card" before shaking hands with the businessman, who can be seen grinning and waving to the audience.

Along with paying the $200 (£131) entry fee to hear Mr Adams speak about the Irish peace process, guests were asked to give donations to Friends of Sinn Féin, The Guardian reports.

Less than four months later, the Provisional IRA detonated a truck bomb in London's Docklands on 9 February 1996, killing two men working in a nearby newsagents and causing £100m in damages.

Sinn Féin and the IRA were the political and military wings of the Irish republican movement for decades.

To enter the event, Mr Trump would have had to walk past protests from the relatives of Catholics who had been shot, beaten and exiled by the IRA after the organisation declared its first ceasefire on 31 August, 1994.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

That's not true though, early years Cameron would have one-nationed it, even T-May tried to address it in her own lovely way. This deliberate insulting of the dead is new, either it's them being undisciplined and going mask off or it's a strategy, but it's not business as usual behaviour.

Yeah there's no way this is deliberate.

I can well believe there are a handful of voters who think Grenfell victims brought it on themselves, but those voters a) don't need to hear it from anyone else and b) aren't target voters for the Tories.

The Tories are explicitly targeting working-class voters. I'm pretty sure their strategy board didn't include insulting the intelligence of the working-class victims of a tragedy.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

If it's just seeming like a decent sort interested in what people have to say I can probably do that quite well.

It's literally this. You want someone more receptive to what you have to say, which means they need to like you/feel they can respect what you have to say. No point trying to sell a drat thing until that hurdle is over. If you can empathise and not come across like a sales rep you're gonna have a good time. Most people are happy to just be able to vent to someone they feel is listening as a representative of "them". I've had so many GOOD endings to door knocks that started out with some proper angry citizen, saw me as Labour Man and let me have it. I listened, empathised, talked about common ground and was able to bring home how much the media have loving lied about Labour on their worries. Most people are just like us, scared and angry.

For folks uncomfortable with/unable to do that, there's other groups that go to registered Labour voters just to remind them to go vote which is also incredibly useful and tends to be a lot more frictionless.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 6, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
As always, it's time to repost this excellent piece that a former goon wrote for my short lived independent student paper at uni about just why the poppy is so loving poo poo

https://hammerandseagull.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-old-lie-and-the-cult-of-remembrance/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jabby posted:

Yeah there's no way this is deliberate.

I can well believe there are a handful of voters who think Grenfell victims brought it on themselves, but those voters a) don't need to hear it from anyone else and b) aren't target voters for the Tories.

The Tories are explicitly targeting working-class voters. I'm pretty sure their strategy board didn't include insulting the intelligence of the working-class victims of a tragedy.

"Oh. Oh no! When you said we're targeting working-class voters we thought you meant, like, to launch attacks on them!" - Every tory

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

ZombieGravy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 28, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

As always, it's time to repost this excellent piece that a former goon wrote for my short lived independent student paper at uni about just why the poppy is so loving poo poo

https://hammerandseagull.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-old-lie-and-the-cult-of-remembrance/

I buy a poppy every year for my grandad that served the entire campaign in WWII and I'll fight anyone that gives me poo poo for it.

What CAN gently caress right off is anything following 1945 being conflated in with Remembrance Day, as well as all the jingoistic poo poo around it and getting in anyone's face for choosing not to engage. It's been hijacked by nationalists and it boils my piss.

I was in Waterloo station last week, getting off at the platform furthest from the main exit and the entire gangway was full of squaddies and poppy stands it was like a halloween market. This is your remembrance on capitalism.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bundy posted:

For folks uncomfortable with/unable to do that, there's other groups that go to registered Labour voters just to remind them to go vote which is also incredibly useful and tends to be a lot more frictionless.

Yeah, this was my first experience with canvassing, at the 2015 Tower Hamlets mayoral election, and if you can only do one thing for Labour at this election I'd 100% say last-minute GOTV is the thing to do. It's going to be cold, it'll probably be raining, a lot of people are going to be wavering, and a friendly face (very, very gently) guilting them into going down to the polling station may make all the difference.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bundy posted:

I was in Waterloo station last week, getting off at the platform furthest from the main exit and the entire gangway was full of squaddies and poppy stands it was like a halloween market. This is your remembrance on capitalism.

I'd think the squaddies are there because they are told to, so it's more of an imperialism/militarism than capitalism.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When I did canvassing, I'd often just ask about if they were voting/who they were voting for, not even try and persuade people - the act of seeing you jogging people's memories an election is happening is often good enough. Scripts can help people who don't feel confident ab libbing on the doorstep, but are restrictive to others - both approaches work.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, this was my first experience with canvassing, at the 2015 Tower Hamlets mayoral election, and if you can only do one thing for Labour at this election I'd 100% say last-minute GOTV is the thing to do. It's going to be cold, it'll probably be raining, a lot of people are going to be wavering, and a friendly face (very, very gently) guilting them into going down to the polling station may make all the difference.

Also, if you drive, giving people with mobility issues lifts to polling stations is invaluable. You can usually put yourself on a reserve list with your local party on election day and they'll tell you where to go.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Also, if you drive, giving people with mobility issues lifts to polling stations is invaluable. You can usually put yourself on a reserve list with your local party on election day and they'll tell you where to go.

Yeah this is an awesome thing to do and a vote winner in itself.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Jo Swinson: Not letting me be on the TV debate is sexist.

Also Jo Swinson: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9615292/Female-quotas-negatively-affect-business-says-minister.html

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
👏ELECT
👏MORE
👏WOMEN
👏TORIES

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was reading one of the headline BBC articles about the election campaigns and it started talking about "wise conservatives" (sans the quotes) so I scroll up to see the author and, yeah, gently caress you very much too Laura K.

e:
Like seriously this is just fawning bollocks. And that's in an article supposedly about the Grenfell JRM gaffe. The jury is still out if he's one of the "wise consevatives".

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 6, 2019

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Oven ready Brexit!!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

My anxiety is bad enough that posting on SA is something I often can't manage, let alone interacting with human beings of any description, but I am trying to summon enough strength to see about data entry stuff!

Hey Ms A, just wanted you to know that as a fellow anxiety-haver I appreciate you talking openly about this stuff.

Fellow posters, I know you're super excited about getting out and canvassing but please remember that some of us literally can't, but wish we could.

Stuff like "what is that worth unless we talk to real people" is straying into ableist territory. There are plenty of ways to support this campaign without making people feel like poo poo for not being able to partake of the one true way.

e: thanks Bundy for reminding folk that not everyone is capable of door-knocking and that there's nothing wrong with that

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 6, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tarnop posted:

Hey Ms A, just wanted you to know that as a fellow anxiety-haver I appreciate you talking openly about this stuff.

Fellow posters, I know you're super excited about getting out and canvassing but please remember that some of us literally can't, but wish we could.

Stuff like "what is that worth unless we talk to real people" is straying into ableist territory. There are plenty of ways to support this campaign without making people feel like poo poo for not being able to partake of the one true way.

e: thanks Bundy for reminding folk that not everyone is capable of door-knocking and that there's nothing wrong with that

:unsmith: Anxiety is real bad I hope you are getting/can get some help with it! And yes, fully agreed with what you say, I really wish I could be out there in the nearest marginal knocking on doors and enthusiastically bigging up the Absolute Boy, but... well... :shrug:

Most likely all I can do is donate and I'm not exactly well off but I'm still trying to do my part!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On another note, even the Facebook idiots going on about "how will Labour afford this!!!" Seem more mute and less Tory than before - Boris abandoning austerity leaves them without an alternative to point to. It's just devolved to people saying "A better world isn't possible" when told the Tories are spending the same on tax cuts so we might aswell get something for our money.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWcs5H-qgQ

Had a dream where this song randomly played and I have to admit as much as I hate Ed Sheeran this was a good song and a good video.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Good timing for the Advertising Standards Agency to ban some Govt ads about Universal Credit

quote:

The claims included in the Universal Credit Uncovered advert series included:

"Myth: universal credit makes it harder to pay your rent on time. Fact: your job centre can give you an advance payment and pay rent directly to landlords."
The ASA said this was misleading as it omitted significant restrictions placed on the right to alternative payment arrangements, which are in fact available to about one in 10 claimants.

"Myth: you have to wait five weeks to get any money on universal credit. Fact: if you need money, your job centre will urgently pay you an advance."
This again, the ASA concluded, was misleading, saying it was not always made clear enough in the adverts the advance was a loan to be repaid within 12 months, or that the advance payments were not necessarily available immediately.

And others said:

"Myth: universal credit doesn't work. Fact: it does. People move into work faster on universal credit than they did on the old system."
The ASA said it considered that readers would interpret the wording "move into work faster" to refer to secure ongoing employment, but in fact the 2017 study the claim was based on had included "people who had worked for only a few hours on one occasion during the relevant period".

They should've just gone with "Universal Credit - you won't believe how good it is!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Pretty optimistic about the way the 1st few days of the election have gone. Labour seem to have some drive behind them while the Tories appear rudderless and are concentrating on attacking the opposition rather than pushing any sort of positive message.

I have no idea what the Lib Dems are trying to do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Another small tally in the 'cause for optimism' column is how thoroughly the Republicans just got thrashed in the off-year elections in the US. Virginia especially. Not that the Dems are exactly, you know, good, but there's a definite huge hunger for change and I'm legit starting to think an outright Labour majority is, if not necessarily likely, at least a credible outcome to hope for. Just as Pistol_Pete says, Labour is offering a real, and exciting, set of policies on almost every issue imaginable and all the tories have is attacks on Lab and a couple of transparent election sops. Oh and the most catastrophic kickoff to an election campaign I've ever witnessed lmao

Oh and I guess the Lib Dems have the argument that "You should vote for us because we could totally win 326 seats".

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao he's only gone and done it the absolute coward.

Missed this, what was it?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Mourning Due posted:

Missed this, what was it?
rumours about Bojob changing seats to stay safe - for now, doesn't seem to be happening

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Walking disproof of nominative determinism James Cleverly is going for the "It's just a prank bro!" defence of the edited Kier Starmer video on BBC Breakfast News and is getting a surprisingly chilly response.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Walking disproof of nominative determinism James Cleverly is going for the "It's just a prank bro!" defence of the edited Kier Starmer video on BBC Breakfast News and is getting a surprisingly chilly response.

I think it might be because it's pulling back the curtain a bit too much.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/How_Upsetting/status/1191669745478750209?s=19

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

e; Well I did a snipe.

67 is two short of nice.

As been said, it is my catte. And it is specifically this little menace below (snapped after stealing some cereal milk)

Her name is Berry and she likes to grab my attention a lot lately. I think she is under the impression I am not hunting enough or eating enough because she likes to bring me her toy mouse and very animatedly let me know :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

:unsmith: Anxiety is real bad I hope you are getting/can get some help with it! And yes, fully agreed with what you say, I really wish I could be out there in the nearest marginal knocking on doors and enthusiastically bigging up the Absolute Boy, but... well... :shrug:

Most likely all I can do is donate and I'm not exactly well off but I'm still trying to do my part!

Your capacity is your capacity and no one should put you down for that. If all you can do is toss a small amount of money but you do that then that's amazing. If you can only manage sharing posts about Labour on social media and you share up a storm then that's fantastic. Even talking up Labour to friends and family can make a difference. Even posting on SA can help in its own little way if you're helping to motivate the base. Like, if you can't canvas yourself cause of anxiety but you can persuade 3 other people to canvas who otherwise wouldn't then that's a bigger impact than you going out on the doorstep yourself. Whatever you can do, do. Whatever you can't do, don't feel guilty about it.

e: drat my post got sniped by a catte pic, no one's gonna read it now :negative:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 6, 2019