Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

devmd01 posted:

I’m just gonna leave this here. The amount of vendors that have some stupid-rear end carnival barker type poo poo is embarrassing.

Love!
ok sure
Citrix
:/ nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Citrix must be pretty panicked now that Windows Virtual Desktop has come along to piss all over their chips

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How many magicians this year? I’m pretty sure every backup company had a magician doing card tricks and poo poo at Ignite

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Between the trend toward web based sass applications and solid virtual desktop services from both azure and aws citrix has got to be seeing their new sales crater.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

How many magicians this year? I’m pretty sure every backup company had a magician doing card tricks and poo poo at Ignite

The veeam guy is the same as last year at least

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Citrix has been seeing their sales drop for a long time now. That's why they have been trying, unsuccessfully, to branch out.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 6, 2019

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Citrix is apparently partnering with Microsoft on the Virtual Desktop, I think on app delivery, so they can deliver some value there at least, in theory.

Also had a magician do a trick for me at the Blue Prism booth but once trick was done I had to grab a product person to actually talk about the product.

Happy to see Zerto bring back the same magician from 2 years ago, he was really good at drawing in a crowd at least.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone out there resign from a job before having the next one lined up? How'd it work out for you? I know its against the Golden Rule but I'm leaning towards doing it.

I need to move across country and get closer to family for reasons, and it's timing up with my lease expiring in January. I've put a few applications out but haven't heard anything yet. I figure I'm going to bounce either way.

I'm probably just trying to rationalize it to myself but I should be OK. I'm an RN working in informatics so I figure worst case I can always go back to bedside care if IT jobs dry up.

Florida winters beat the hell out of Colorado's, and a few weeks on the beach might do me good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Florida is terrible, you shouldn't do it.

Seriously though, I did a similar move to be closer family a little over 3 years ago. I had a deadline to move, if I had a job or not. It helps a lot if you have some savings cushion or other safety net at your destination. I ended up getting and accepting an offer about two weeks before the move date.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wouldn't wish Florida on my worst enemy, but hey, some people love it. My entire family moved to Florida from the North East ~30 years ago and now they won't travel anywhere north of there outside of summer. The wife and I moved from Florida to Colorado ~5 years ago and it was the best decision of our lives.

You're talking about two fairly in demand fields, so you'll probably be fine. I'm not sure I could do it. I'd be worried about getting caught out when a recession hits or something.

You're mentioning the cold weather being the worst part of it. Maybe a vacation would help you hold out until you find something?

Also, have you ever spent any real time in Florida during the summer? It'd be like moving to Colorado without experiencing the winter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone out there resign from a job before having the next one lined up? How'd it work out for you? I know its against the Golden Rule but I'm leaning towards doing it.

It's the golden rule for a reason, even smart companies have dumb as poo poo HR who will auto-shred your resume if you're not currently employed. It's gonna be a serious uphill battle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I need to move across country and get closer to family for reasons, and it's timing up with my lease expiring in January. I've put a few applications out but haven't heard anything yet. I figure I'm going to bounce either way.

I'm probably just trying to rationalize it to myself but I should be OK. I'm an RN working in informatics so I figure worst case I can always go back to bedside care if IT jobs dry up.

Florida winters beat the hell out of Colorado's, and a few weeks on the beach might do me good.

I did to hike the Appalachian Trail and gently caress around in Europe for a 3 1/2 months. It’s scary watching that number only go down day after day.

I ended up landing a job 3 months after coming home and was exactly 1 year unemployed. Higher paying and a job I like.

If you have a support system and ample savings it’s not as scary a prospect as it sounds.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hold the phone, you only get 2 weeks off for the birth of a child??
The US is a shitshow, but New York State law gives each parent 10 weeks at 55% pay as long as they've been working 26 consecutive weeks first

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I'm originally from the South, came up to Colorado from Florida a few years ago. I agree Colorado is awesome but I miss the slower pace and affordability of the south. I'm single with no debt and decent cushion for savings, and family to stay with in FL while I job hunt.

I'll probably keep pumping out applications up till the move point and see if anything lands. A few jobs in Memphins, TN caught my eye. A little research tells me that Memphis might not be AS terrible as I initially thought it to be.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I'm originally from the South, came up to Colorado from Florida a few years ago. I agree Colorado is awesome but I miss the slower pace and affordability of the south. I'm single with no debt and decent cushion for savings, and family to stay with in FL while I job hunt.

I'll probably keep pumping out applications up till the move point and see if anything lands. A few jobs in Memphins, TN caught my eye. A little research tells me that Memphis might not be AS terrible as I initially thought it to be.

Houston is hot for medical and technology right now so if you didn't mind Florida you'll be fine down here in the swamps of Texas. Despite the bad rap Texas gets for obvious reasons, the cities are blue and v good. Not Dallas though. gently caress Dallas

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I did to hike the Appalachian Trail and gently caress around in Europe for a 3 1/2 months. It’s scary watching that number only go down day after day.

I ended up landing a job 3 months after coming home and was exactly 1 year unemployed. Higher paying and a job I like.

If you have a support system and ample savings it’s not as scary a prospect as it sounds.

Houston is hot for medical and technology right now so if you didn't mind Florida you'll be fine down here in the swamps of Texas. Despite the bad rap Texas gets for obvious reasons, the cities are blue and v good. Not Dallas though. gently caress Dallas

That's awesome! I've romanticized hiking the AT but after climbing a few 14ers out here I realized that I don't particularly enjoy walking for hours at a time.

And yeah, I've noticed Houston seems to be a hot market. I was there for tug boat training once upon a time, seemed like a cool place. The ATL is another area with lots of opportunities.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Houston spells like raw sewer. DFW owns.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

The ATL is another area with lots of opportunities.

I actually was considering that for a while due to having family in Atlanta and Augusta, but I ended up finding a job locally that hopefully I don't hate.

Next week I start my new job, my manager and director were both very nice about me quitting even though it puts them in a real poo poo position. We were at 7/9 people on the team (maybe 1/3 of the support team in a call center), then one got fired, bringing us down to 6/9 (not nice). Now I'm quitting, bringing them down to 5/9. Last week one person was out and it was absolute hell. I feel bad for all the people I'm leaving behind, but I have to look out for myself.

This also means I can ask out one of the women on my team that I'm pretty sure has a thing for me, at least as far as this literal autist can tell. Once I'm not working there, I don't have to worry about awkward work situations if she's not actually interested, and I don't have to worry about whatever the company's policy on office relationships might be.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

San Antonio is a recent hot spot of tech and we don’t smell like Houston or have prices like Austin. If you have clearance you are basically guaranteed a job here.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

My 2200 sqft house mortgage is $600 a month. We living it up down here

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m super happy in the San Antonio area. Great cost of living, good job market.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Lmao a 2200 sq ft mortgage here would be like $6k/mo

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

And another $600 a month for the air conditioning 9 months out of the year, I've been to San Antonio.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And another $600 a month for the air conditioning 9 months out of the year, I've been to San Antonio.

I keep my 3450 sq ft house at 71 degrees all summer and it runs me about $330 during the peak months. I have 2 AC units as well

It’s newer efficient construction though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Are basements not naturally cold in texas? Serious question

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Are basements not naturally cold in texas? Serious question

We don’t have basements. Ground is too hard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Lol

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

One day we will be at the same conference and I’ll punch you in the nuts. I’ll look for a tall Canadian and just go from there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No basements here. Either expansive clay soil, or like my house, sitting on pure rock. They had to jackhammer my fence posts in.

jaegerx posted:

One day we will be at the same conference and I’ll punch you in the nuts. I’ll look for a tall Canadian and just go from there.

I have some PTO to burn, wanna road trip it up there?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jaegerx posted:

or wet

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Note to self, avoid conferences for a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I will fight both of you then drink you under the table

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Where in Florida are you looking and have you looked into the AdventHealth system yet? We're pretty large in Florida and we always seem to have clinical informatics positions open at hospitals. In fact, at the hospital I work at, we just had one of our clinical informatics people leave so I'm sure we have an open position. Our Corporate IT offices are also always hiring informatic type people as well.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

jaegerx posted:

drat and I thought Phoenix was cheap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"it's cheap because no one wants to live here" just isn't that big of a selling point to me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

"it's cheap because no one wants to live here" just isn't that big of a selling point to me

Texas is not immune to high costs of living. We aren't California level of crazy, but better quality of locations is expensive just like everywhere else in the country.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wasn't talking about all of Texas specifically.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Houston is experiencing a reversal in white flight with everyone rushing to get back into the city center. A 2 bed 1 bath bungalow can easily get up to $500,000 in some areas. It’s nonsense. Otherwise if you don’t mind moving to the burbs you can get some killer deals. But who wants that??

It’s already poo poo for our generation to be home owners but this prices it out for us even more to be closer to jobs

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sickening posted:

Houston spells like raw sewer. DFW owns.

Don't forget the humidity in Houston, meanwhile DFW is just one big rear end soulless suburb.

And both have godawful sprawl, though I could see DFW being awesome in like 10 years assuming DART ends up building out something awesome with the light rail system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

FISHMANPET posted:

Citrix is apparently partnering with Microsoft on the Virtual Desktop, I think on app delivery, so they can deliver some value there at least, in theory.

And now the circle is complete.

In the 90’s Citrix comes up with WinFrame and blows minds with virtual desktops based on Windows 3.51. Then Microsoft steps in and “partners” with Citrix to make Metaframe, adding nothing but requiring a windows license on top of a Citrix license.

And now we have, thirty years later, Citrix partnering with Microsoft and adding nothing.