Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
lack of bread options is one of my big negatives about japan. that said i'm not satisfied with socal's bread either. how hard is it to make good sourdough? apparently very because nowhere down here can manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Well obviously it boils down to two opinions.

Those who can’t get enough sweet bread, and those who are :wrong:

It’s fine. To each their own.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
listen i like sweet bread. i just want more than the one kind of bread. i haven't had good sourdough in so long.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hey, New Days usually sells one or two sandwiches with crust-on not-quite-white sandwich bread!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm gonna open a bakery that makes wheat bread

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I guess it makes a difference if you live here versus being a tourist. I finally just learned to make sourdough myself.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

that's an option too. what's the availability of sourdough culture starter like in japan i have no idea but i can't imagine it's great

e: and i guess i haven't been to an Actual Bakery instead of like one at a mall or w/e so maybe they have different breads idk

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 6, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Put kare-pan in my dumb mouth for every goddamn meal

I will never complain

thats not sweet tho

its about 3000mg of sodium

I've also never understood the appeal of the bad sweet bread and convenience store sandwiches which are like 50% mayo by volume, but at least someone likes them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

thats not sweet tho

its about 3000mg of sodium

I've also never understood the appeal of the bad sweet bread and convenience store sandwiches which are like 50% mayo by volume, but at least someone likes them.

they're really decent sandwiches for the basically nothing they cost

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

that's an option too. what's the availability of sourdough culture starter like in japan i have no idea but i can't imagine it's great

e: and i guess i haven't been to an Actual Bakery instead of like one at a mall or w/e so maybe they have different breads idk

I just made my own starter.

You can get pain du campaign and such from the French bakeries like Maison Kaiser or whatever, but yeah it isn't in convenience or grocery stores.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah, I’m a fan of the occasional dessert bread but the sandwiches? I’ve had them once and won’t ever do it again. That much mayo should be a war crime.

Even the big grocery stores have a piss-poor variety of bread and non-white breads. But if you want the same white half-loaf cut into 3, 6, 8, or 10 slices though you’re more than covered :downs:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You goons are talking past each other. One party is talking about combini sandwiches, the other is talking about bread. Obviously bread is one component of a sandwich, but not the only one.
In fact both are true. The level of combini sandwiches is quite high, but it's not because of the bread. It's the variety, freshness, and cost performance.
At the same time, Tokyo and Japan in general hasn't been a bread or sandwich culture so basically anything besides white bread must either be imported or made using imported raw materials. Besides Subway there is no nationwide sandwich chain. Turkey is hard to find, there are no gyros, reubens, patty melts, PB&J, roast beef, BLTs, club sandwiches, bagels, sloppy joe's, baloney, philly cheese, pulled pork, cubans. A couple restaurants do offer these yes but it's absolutely not common or even a highlight. Hell in Tokyo kebabs places are much more common than any kind of decent UK/US sandwich. There's the katsu sando at many hotels but it's usually $$$$.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Stringent posted:

I just made my own starter.

You can get pain du campaign and such from the French bakeries like Maison Kaiser or whatever, but yeah it isn't in convenience or grocery stores.

but like, wild yeast? or did you have a culture you seeded your colony with?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mikeycp posted:

but like, wild yeast? or did you have a culture you seeded your colony with?

Yeah, just leave flour and water out on a counter for a week and you end up with sourdough starter.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ah. i guess tokyo has stronger yeast than sacramento since when i tried that it was the flattest sourdough ever made

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Guys, any large city in Japan will have good European style bread. You just have to look for it. Of course you're not going to find it in convenience stores and supermarkets. I mean if you walk in to a walmart in America you're not going to find the best bread there either and American white bread is sweet as gently caress too.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 6, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zettace posted:

I mean if you walk in to a walmart in America you're not going to find the best bread there either and American white bread is sweet as gently caress too.

No but you’re at least going to have more options than in Japan. I know it differs on the region but even a Kroger/Fred Meyers/Safeway in the US is going to have some choices, and don’t pretend like those are some artisanal chain or anything.

Passionate bread takes ITT

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What passes for bacon here deserves a lot more hate than the bread imo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Did anyone check out the Monster Hunter event going on in Akiba? I kinda want to go, but not sure how accessable it is to somebody daily conversation level Japanese.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zettace posted:

Guys, any large city in Japan will have good European style bread. You just have to look for it. Of course you're not going to find it in convenience stores and supermarkets. I mean if you walk in to a walmart in America you're not going to find the best bread there either and American white bread is sweet as gently caress too.

There's a bakery chain called Donq that I always used to go to which makes great baguettes and stuff, but that's still white bread in the end. They have this tiny loaf of doitsupan but it's really expensive and only a single kind, there's a lot of variety in other kinds of white bread but brown bread is still this exotic product when it needn't be.

I hate shokupan.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sorry it's Kayser not Kaiser, but just hit these guys up if you're really jonesing for it, they make dank poo poo.

http://maisonkayser.co.jp/product/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stringent posted:

The bacon that came with pancakes at Maple Diner in Shinjuku station is the closest thing to actual bacon that I’ve ever seen in Japan. And even then it was hardly great bacon.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

bacon in all of east asia blows.

china even makes actual bacon they just call it a different thing and sell the lovely stuff as "bacon".

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Slow Graffiti posted:

Is there a good ticket reseller (a la StubHub) for concerts in Tokyo that has a website in English? We just realised Superchunk are playing at Fever on the 18th, but it is sold out.

According to this flyer I just got they're also playing at Tsutaya O-West in Tokyo on the 19th too. And if that's also sold out and you can deal with it, they're doing an acoustic gig at Fever on the 17th. Maybe you knew all this already though. Good luck!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
A weird shot in the dark question here, I'm traveling with a friend who's an exploratory geologist and wants to do something about mining or geology in the Tokyo area. Any good abandoned mines? Any chance of Mt. Fuji erupting? Otherwise I guess hot springs count as geology.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I recall that there was a famous gold mine in izu

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

free Trapt CD posted:

According to this flyer I just got they're also playing at Tsutaya O-West in Tokyo on the 19th too. And if that's also sold out and you can deal with it, they're doing an acoustic gig at Fever on the 17th. Maybe you knew all this already though. Good luck!

Thanks. We’re heading down to Kyoto on the 19th unfortunately. Debating now whether to try and see them at their Osaka show. I’m not a huge fan so it’s certainly not the end of the world. I’m much more focussed on eating everything in sight and drinking beer for fifteen days.

Only five more days until our flight. Getting excited! Plus, my Dad gifted us some of his vast number of miles so we get to fly ANA in style which is a nice benefit.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I had a breakfast set twice at...Precious Memories? Cafe. It was white bread, but with melted (salted) butter, and it wasn't really sweet at all. Also came with the most delicious hard boiled egg this American has ever had, and a pretty good drip coffee.

I then also bought the pre-packaged pancakes with the maple syrup between them. Those things are so loving good.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So I'm a huge dork amd really want to do conveyor belt sushi shaped like Shinkansen. Everywhere that pops up on Google will have photos of trains but when you go there or see videos from the place it's just the saucer shaped delivery "trains". I want an actual train shaped train. Anyone know which places actually have them? I went to one last time I was there in Shibuya and same thing: said they had trains, it was saucers. I just want my stupid dorky Shinkansen sushi.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Went to Ginza Steak last night. Ate probably 30oz of Wagyu in one sitting. Holy poo poo that was so great.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

arisu posted:

Went to Ginza Steak last night. Ate probably 30oz of Wagyu in one sitting. Holy poo poo that was so great.

How much was it all?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

So I'm a huge dork amd really want to do conveyor belt sushi shaped like Shinkansen. Everywhere that pops up on Google will have photos of trains but when you go there or see videos from the place it's just the saucer shaped delivery "trains". I want an actual train shaped train. Anyone know which places actually have them? I went to one last time I was there in Shibuya and same thing: said they had trains, it was saucers. I just want my stupid dorky Shinkansen sushi.

If I am understanding this post correctly. Misakikou's delivery trains are shaped like actual shinkansen. Or is this no go since the shinkansen still has plates on it.
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/anmako1976/15068247.html

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Trip report for JAL flight 001 from SFO to HND: no anime choices on the 777. Just Doraemon and Anpanman. Real disappointment.

They did have two hours of Golgo 13 giving advice to Japanese SMEs doing business overseas though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

get a better flight imo

that's what you get for buying cheap tickets

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

How much was it all?

9800 yen, plus 10% service charge and 300 yen seating charge. Maybe around $110 all said and done. Definitely worth it, I highly recommend. It ain't gonna be the best wagyu but gently caress man I ate so much lol

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

LOL @ America attempting nomihodai.
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stl...owFullText=true

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

arisu posted:

9800 yen, plus 10% service charge and 300 yen seating charge. Maybe around $110 all said and done. Definitely worth it, I highly recommend. It ain't gonna be the best wagyu but gently caress man I ate so much lol

Heck yeah man I’d definitely be down to spend that

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Bloodnose posted:

Trip report for JAL flight 001 from SFO to HND: no anime choices on the 777. Just Doraemon and Anpanman. Real disappointment.

They did have two hours of Golgo 13 giving advice to Japanese SMEs doing business overseas though.

drat, even I was watching the Dragonball Super: Broly movie on flight from Doha to HK

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

10 bucks an hour is "tuesday night special" prices. Way too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Picnic Princess posted:

Find a location of the Kappa Sushi chain. The one I went to in Nagoya definitely had trains.