Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does anyone know what Inland Empire refers to when you walk into Evrart's office, look at the coffee grounds, and see the letters FK? (iirc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Does anyone know what Inland Empire refers to when you walk into Evrart's office, look at the coffee grounds, and see the letters FK? (iirc)

it's a Deadly Premonition reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK1iDIcnHQg

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

How about the check where you walk into Evrat's place and it says "That's not a fishing rod, it's...."?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I bet the Union coffee also had a fish in the percolator.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

How about the check where you walk into Evrat's place and it says "That's not a fishing rod, it's...."?

That's one of several times you get inland empire thinking various inanimate objects are the Insulindian phasmid.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

That's one of several times you get inland empire thinking various inanimate objects are the Insulindian phasmid.

The best of them is the one in the village shack with the little girl, where you can tell it to stop thinking that everything it sees is the phasmid, to which it gets really pissy.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

drat if a video game was ever going to make me cry, the closest i've ever gotten is when you find your crashed car and recover your badge and if you've been doing a good job, kim tells you he's been following you because you do good work and not because you outrank him.

just the heartfelt compliment from kim almost brought me to tears

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Freaking Crumbum posted:

drat if a video game was ever going to make me cry, the closest i've ever gotten is when you find your crashed car and recover your badge and if you've been doing a good job, kim tells you he's been following you because you do good work and not because you outrank him.

Yeah this game is funny and whacky but, as someone who has deeply hosed up many things in their life, it's also pretty real.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Every moment of sincerity in this game is wonderful and touching. And Kim is the best partner ever.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Same, but from a bit later on (from a thing on the boardwalk): When you have to stop following this insane murder case, pull yourself together, and go do the mundane and terrible job of telling someone that her husband slipped and died. Afterwards Kim just says something like "No, it never gets any easier than that, but you did it as well as anyone ever can" felt like something that'd mean so much to the character I was playing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Harrow posted:

Every moment of sincerity in this game is wonderful and touching. And Kim is the best partner ever.

I don't know, I feel like he should have gone easy on me in Suzerainity and let me win given my characters fragile mental state, though to be fair I got his population addicted to cocaine.

Also, gang tag rules tyvm.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just like Planescape, DE hits hardest in a good way if you're working to make Harry a better person. That scene and the Working Class Woman sidequest are among the strongest examples of that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Accordion Man posted:

Just like Planescape, DE hits hardest in a good way if you're working to make Harry a better person. That scene and the Working Class Woman sidequest are among the strongest examples of that.

I told her I was a fuckupatoo which probably didn't help when I went to give her bad news later.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Witcher 1 has a bizarre response where you can make Geralt ask a prostitute: "What if I'm gay?"

Disco Elysium allows you to access a thought where you ask: What IF I'm gay?!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).
If this is still going then yes please.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Palpek posted:

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

I’m late to this because I’ve been avoiding spoilers but please tag me up!

Also, gamespot made Disco one of only 16 games to ever get a 10/10 review! Pretty awesome. Looking forward to the OST coming out.

Game is almost at “overwhelmingly positive” on Steam — please contribute your reviews!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Palpek posted:

Ooh, I'll get it on this if it's not too late- every good cop needs a ho-bro or two.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

my first playthrough i thought joyce was pretty awesome. i basically did what she told me to do and obviously she reciprocated.

the second time, i purposely paused her quest until i could find my badge and then went back to her thinking "ah ha! i have circumvented your directive"

her response to you trying to sidestep her demands by completing the above actually made me hiss "oh you bitch!"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Palpek posted:

Please grant me this.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Completed thoughts One More Door, Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre, and Rigorous Self-Critique below because god drat the art

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

My only complaint about thoughts is that even the solved ones only give you a still image.

The Thought Cabinet trailer implied animations, like wonder movies in Civ games. Bait and switch, ZA/UM!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
decided it was finally time for an av after like 7 years so figured this gangtag was as good a reason as any. it's not much of a tribute to this brilliant work, but it's probably the best i can do for now.
the expression will guide my posting pbui (peace be upon it)

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Palpek posted:

If I'm not too late, please sign me up.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

just started the game, tried to get my tie off of a moving fan, immediately died of a heart attack and had to start a new game, 10/10

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

unclear if every dialogue choice having multiple Dumb As Hell options is because I went with low int or if it's just because I'm a drunk hobo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

please help, I'm being bullied by a chav teen

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Are you gonna let a guy who refers to himself in the third person tell you what's what?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

please help, I'm being bullied by a chav teen

sorry to inform you but he's right, you're Cuno's fuckin' pig now

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Palpek posted:

Please make me a hobocop.

--

I think sitting on the swings was one of the best moments of this game and the only downside of it is that after I initiated it I felt annoyed that I was forced to waste a bunch of time when I felt I needed to rush to make up for my slow earlier days!!
Undercut what was a great bit.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

heck yeah

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Epic High Five posted:

sorry to inform you but he's right, you're Cuno's fuckin' pig now

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I really like that Kim actually knows who you are. He knows about your crazy case record, he knows why the guy back at 41 can have such a laugh about "supercop losing his badge", and that Harry is a legitimately fantastic detective when he's not trying to abrogate his consciousness.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I really like that Kim actually knows who you are. He knows about your crazy case record, he knows why the guy back at 41 can have such a laugh about "supercop losing his badge", and that Harry is a legitimately fantastic detective when he's not trying to abrogate his consciousness.
On that note, that the squad ribbing Harry by calling him "Dick Mullen" isn't like calling a large person "Tiny", it's because he's got an actually incredible record.

Also, one of the Esprit de Corps checks has some conversation between two cops talking about the scuttlebutt on Harry's mental condition, and the response is just that he'll get over it. "We always do." Being an RCM officer seems to be a pretty taxing occupation.

Loving the gang tag, too.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

wiegieman posted:

I like this too, and I also like that you don't know who Kim is - and I don't mean he's just some guy, I mean that it's pretty strongly implied that you would probably know exactly who he was if you didn't have amnesia; he's apparently his precinct's best, big enough to be a legit celebrity within the infraculture that other cops are honored to meet. You don't really find out what a big deal he is until the very end of the game, by which point you know from experience that his reputation is well deserved.

On the subject of fellow cops, one thing that got me in the end was playing a high Empathy run and realizing that your Precinct 41 partner's 'disguise' joke wasn't at your expense - when he says he thought it would be amusing, he meant he thought you would find it amusing. even after you were, by all evidence, an enormous rear end in a top hat to the guy, he still came out there and put in a significant amount of effort as part of an attempt to cheer you up. sure, he was a huge dick to you after it didn't work out, but can you blame him? you treated him like poo poo once, he tried to be a good partner anyway, and then you basically blew him off a second time. I ended up feeling kind of bad for the guy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fellatio del Toro posted:

just started the game, tried to get my tie off of a moving fan, immediately died of a heart attack and had to start a new game, 10/10

I'm reasonably confident that the fan and the lightswitch have the highest killcount in the game by a wide margin.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, this is the cutoff point for the gangtags, everything before this post has been sent to admins for processing.

I'm glad so many of you guys wanted one :)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Where does it state in the game that Kim knows

wiegieman posted:

Where is it state that Kim knows who you are? I don’t remember that coming up in my first play through?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
[Volition] You should thank Palpek for his generosity.

[Electrochemistry] With a handjob.

[Half-Light] Rip his dick off. Show him who's boss. Total power move.

[Inland Empire] Yeah! Then we could use it for rituals. Dark rituals. Sinister rituals.

[Empathy] No. No dick ripping today, or ever. What is wrong with you?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Songbearer posted:

[Inland Empire] Yeah! Then we could use it for rituals. Dark rituals. Sinister rituals.

Pretty sure Physical Instrument would be the dick ripper, though maybe not intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Songbearer posted:

"Mr. Palpek is helping me get my gang tag."

"Mr. Palpek is helping me get my gang tag."