Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

Africa is suffering from the insidious chinese plot of “building ports and roads for developing countries”, it’s truely a tragedy.

They are importing labor and exporting resources which they got access to by paying generous bungs to politicians without asking any awkward questions about where it ended up. Very colonial of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

uninterrupted posted:

Africa is suffering from the insidious chinese plot of “building ports and roads for developing countries”, it’s truely a tragedy.

If you think that is for any selfless reason, or even remotely market reasons, I don't know what to say.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

qnqnx posted:

If you think that is for any selfless reason, or even remotely market reasons, I don't know what to say.

That's moving the goalposts. How many Patrice Lumumbas has the Chinese government assassinated? There's a reason why China is the second biggest trading partner with Latin American nations and it's because people are getting sick of Monroe Doctrine shenanigans.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

China wouldn't, because unlike Americans who treat world politics like a game of Victoria II they have had a pretty consistent foreign policy of not involving themselves in internal affairs of other countries.

At least physically

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

That's moving the goalposts. How many Patrice Lumumbas has the Chinese government assassinated? There's a reason why China is the second biggest trading partner with Latin American nations and it's because people are getting sick of Monroe Doctrine shenanigans.

No they are not, and development of infrastructure in Africa to not just make themselves look better, but also get "trade partners" that not only are reliant on China, but also have to agree with China on international issues is very much world politics.
And also not really relevant to the Latin America thread.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

qnqnx posted:

And also not really relevant to the Latin America thread.

qnqnx posted:

I don't think Africa agrees with your view of things.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

such a simplistic view, must be a CSPAM poster

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

i say swears online posted:

such a simplistic view, must be a CSPAM poster

I don't think he would be welcome even in that trash dump.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/AP_Noticias/status/1189665963161112576

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

translating, the gist is that the opposition guy rejected the OAS' election observer plan; this is excellent for morales' credibility

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1189633973015797761

Dictator Sanders calls for mass arrests.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

qnqnx posted:

We can agree then that Maduro is not the less bad side. And that things are not as simple as "this side good, this side bad".
And if we can not agree, then I am afraid that you have failed to understand the barest basics of politics.

a pinochet defender explaining the barest basics of politics, good joke

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

So yeah, just admit you don't. No shame in that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

qnqnx posted:

We can agree then that Maduro is not the less bad side. And that things are not as simple as "this side good, this side bad".
And if we can not agree, then I am afraid that you have failed to understand the barest basics of politics.

I agree, but you should follow your own advice. People may think Guaido is not a good choice, and that a USA-backed coup (or whatever you want to call it) is bad and at the same time dont think Maduro is good and should stay in power forever

Thats what killed the Venezuela thread: nobody could say "hey maybe a USA backed regime change inst the best way out of this mess" without being accused of being a Maduro-lover-tankie-gringo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like how the Pinochet guy here tells other people in the thread to gently caress off.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

qnqnx posted:

Do you even know what "right wing" means?
Get out you two, I would tell you to come back after actually done some reading but it is clear that anything going against your narrative is fake news.

it means the political right, such as the right wing "protesters" who were led by american puppet Juan Guaido in his failed attempt at a coup

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

i say swears online posted:

lol

translating, the gist is that the opposition guy rejected the OAS' election observer plan; this is excellent for morales' credibility

wait, the the same OAS that publishes poo poo like this, which was quoted last page but I'll repost as a reminder:

quote:

The recent currents of destabilization of the political systems of the hemisphere have their origins in the strategy of the Bolivarian and Cuban dictatorships, which seek to reposition themselves once again, not through a process of re-institutionalization and re-democratization, but through their old methodology of exporting polarization and bad practices, to essentially finance, support and promote political and social conflict.

The "Bolivarian breezes" to which the president of the illegitimate Bolivarian constituent national assembly has referred, have brought destabilization, violence, drug trafficking, death and corruption. The Venezuelan people themselves have paid the highest cost, but the other countries of the hemisphere are also now paying a high price for the crisis caused by the Venezuelan dictatorship.

“Bolivarian breezes” are not welcome in this hemisphere. We strongly condemn the threat of exporting bad practices and destabilization to Colombia made by that person in the Bolivarian dictatorship.

offered to "observe" elections and these idiots refused? they're either enormously dumb, to the point of not understanding that OAS wants to help them rig it, or are so right wing that even OAS is too liberal to trust

haha

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

RottenK posted:

wait, the the same OAS that publishes poo poo like this, which was quoted last page but I'll repost as a reminder:

offered to "observe" elections and these idiots refused? they're either enormously dumb, to the point of not understanding that OAS wants to help them rig it, or are so right wing that even OAS is too liberal to trust

haha

There’s also the chance they lost so badly OAS will have no choice to certify the elections.

In Venezuela the opposition had a string of such clear, crushing losses that they finally told international observers to stop observing the elections so the opposition parties had more wiggle room to say the elections were stolen.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I agree, but you should follow your own advice. People may think Guaido is not a good choice, and that a USA-backed coup (or whatever you want to call it) is bad and at the same time dont think Maduro is good and should stay in power forever

Thats what killed the Venezuela thread: nobody could say "hey maybe a USA backed regime change inst the best way out of this mess" without being accused of being a Maduro-lover-tankie-gringo
Guaido was not the best choice, but it was one of the better choices considering all the actually good choices were politically incarcerated.
The tries at a regime change where there before the USA muddied up things, even before the Trump administration, even.
But for real, there was a shitton of misinformation going around that would have been easily cleared if some posters actually bothered how things got to this point.

RottenK posted:

it means the political right, such as the right wing "protesters" who were led by american puppet Juan Guaido in his failed attempt at a coup
Please stop being an useful idiot.

uninterrupted posted:

There’s also the chance they lost so badly OAS will have no choice to certify the elections.

In Venezuela the opposition had a string of such clear, crushing losses that they finally told international observers to stop observing the elections so the opposition parties had more wiggle room to say the elections were stolen.
Did you miss the memo about the political incarcerations of any opposition candidate with a real shot at winning, or does that not fit your narrative?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

uninterrupted posted:

that is an option, but it's hard to believe because there's nothing stopping OAS from just lying about the results if the actual numbers are too bad for the opposition, it's not like the western press won't gleefully help spread lies to legitimize a coup against a left wing government

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Did you miss the memo about the political incarcerations of any opposition candidate with a real shot at winning, or does that not fit your narrative?

That has literally nothing to do with whether election observers should be present. Hell, the election observers could even note that some opposition candidates were under house arrest (for kidnapping and attempted murder) when reporting on the fairness of the elections.

The only reason to turn away election observers is because you know you lost. Same with the Bolivian opposition running out to burn ballot boxes; there’s no point unless they are certain they’re filled with Morales voters.

RottenK posted:

that is an option, but it's hard to believe because there's nothing stopping OAS from just lying about the results if the actual numbers are too bad for the opposition, it's not like the western press won't gleefully help spread lies to legitimize a coup against a left wing government

Oh definitely, but the opposition might not trust OAS to do so. Mesa is a far right bloodthirsty murderer known for brutally repressing protests and flat out ignoring referendums to nationalize the energy industry during his last presidency; dollars to donuts he thinks OAS is too far left.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

uninterrupted posted:

That has literally nothing to do with whether election observers should be present. Hell, the election observers could even note that some opposition candidates were under house arrest (for kidnapping and attempted murder) when reporting on the fairness of the elections.

Gotta agree that it was a weird move, but I can see where the reasoning came from, to not give the elections any veneer of credibility.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Finally, back to Brazil-chat

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

uninterrupted posted:

Oh definitely, but the opposition might not trust OAS to do so. Mesa is a far right bloodthirsty murderer known for brutally repressing protests and flat out ignoring referendums to nationalize the energy industry during his last presidency; dollars to donuts he thinks OAS is too far left.

yeah as i said, my second option was that they're such chuds that they don't trust the OAS for being too left wing for their tastes, which is a huge lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
So Lula is basically a political prisoner correct? Where the gently caress's the international outcry over that?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

mila kunis posted:

So Lula is basically a political prisoner correct? Where the gently caress's the international outcry over that?

when was the last time the international community didn't approve of political suppression of leftists

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
In the end I'm glad that Kissinger is still alive today, so that he gets to see everything he worked for in Chile fall apart and the people united and undefeated

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Could not find another source and I dont know this one, but I saw it elsewhere (in portuguese)

https://twitter.com/estrelladigital/status/1191439894633205760

Opposition leader calls for the military to aid in deposing Evo

Seems bad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elias_Maluco posted:

Could not find another source and I dont know this one, but I saw it elsewhere (in portuguese)

Seems bad

Does Morales have solid support in the military?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems bad

Yeah because that's democratic. I'd love for the military to stick with Morales and just say "We are".

I don't know if this the place for it, but I've been reading William Ospina's trilogy of novels on the conquest and post-conquest era of South America and they're super good. They're Ursúa, El País de la Canela, and La serpiente sin ojos. I loved the first and I'm really enjoying the second. Not sure where I'll find a copy of the third in France, but I'll cross that bridge when I do.

I've long known that the Spanish conquest of Latin America, was a tragedy on many levels, but the research he did and the way he describes the pre-colonial era is done so well it really makes me ache for those societies that were annihilated in the worst way, all in pursuit of gold. I just finished the description of Atahualpa's ransom, and the way it's described is very well done and depressing.

Anyway, I highly recommend it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems bad

lol this really is the venezuela coup attempt all over again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50299562

Just horrifying, a whole family burnt to death and some children kidnapped.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Horrifying indeed, but the article says nothing about children being kidnapped though? :confused:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
reportedly 16 leaked audio recordings implicating the US government in instigating a coup against evo morales

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

RottenK posted:

lol this really is the venezuela coup attempt all over again
wow check out this tankie over here

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50299562

Just horrifying, a whole family burnt to death and some children kidnapped.

What's even the best-case scenario for dealing with Mexico's issues at this point? If we had a benevolent but not all-powerful dictator who we could trust to only ever do the right things (which is of course an unrealistic supposition, but work with me here), is there a way out for Mexico/Guatemala/Honduras at this point?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i can't properly evaluate the embassy allegations / PostCuba as a platform (seems to be this Marco Velazquez Cristo guy's blog?), but afaict based on PostCuba's own summaries the only mention in the audio of USgov conspiracy is Rubio-Cruz-Menendez being vaguely pro-Bolivian-opposition which, well, obviously

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

PT6A posted:

What's even the best-case scenario for dealing with Mexico's issues at this point? If we had a benevolent but not all-powerful dictator who we could trust to only ever do the right things (which is of course an unrealistic supposition, but work with me here), is there a way out for Mexico/Guatemala/Honduras at this point?

La Virgen makes a miracle happen and americans suddenly stop feeling the urge to shove drugs up their snouts and veins.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PT6A posted:

Worldwide full legalization of all illegal drugs

That would beat those cartels for good, with the added effect of dramatically lowering crime, police brutality and the oppression of poor people all over the world

Yeah, its not goling to happen. Still, thats more realistic and would be a lot more effective than all americans (and europeans, and latins, and everyone else) giving up cocaine

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/opinion/mexico-mormons.html

Legalization is not going to happen, and if it happened today it would take a generation to produce results, and they probably wouldn't be good results anyway

The criminals who have guns, power and money will not disappear just because America stops sniffing cocaine, they've already expanded into extortion, robbery, kidnapping, etc etc

There's no solution besides enforcing the rule of law and improving economic conditions.

People joining drug gangs are sometimes enticed by money, but young men are being kidnapped and forced to work against their will.

It's all fubar